Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2022, 05:15 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Do You Make Scrapping Goals?

I made myself a scrap goal for this year, and so far, I think I'm doing so so on it. I wanted to make my layouts more color filled and use more color in my background papers. I usually grab neutral beige, white, ecru, etc... backgrounds and they're pretty much always plain with texture. I have a really hard time using patterned backgrounds, so that was another goal. I'm doing abysmal with that one!

I also wanted to get better at blending, and I'm pretty happy with a few of my blended layouts so far!

I just took a look at the past two months, and I see progress and more color. Yay me!

What goals did you make, and how are you doing with them?

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,
Speak Kindly and Leave the rest to God.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The only goals I have are to try and remain as current as possible. I am usually scrapping the year that passed, so right now I am on 2021. But at one point I took a scrapping break and got a few years behind lol.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My goal is to just get a project (vacation, project life, dec daily, et) finished... I need to get better at that because I've failed the last two months. :/
Old 03-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Oh gosh - that is so true. I forget about that because I have so many old pictures still to scrap! I do a project 52 that keeps me current, but my regular scrapping is usually old stuff.

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Old 03-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
My goal is to just get a project (vacation, project life, dec daily, et) finished... I need to get better at that because I've failed the last two months. :/
Project 52 and the Month of Challenges at TLP are the only things I've really followed through completely with! LOL

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Old 03-05-2022, 02:12 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Those are great goals, Susie! I really haven't made any for myself this year.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:15 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylny View Post
Those are great goals, Susie! I really haven't made any for myself this year.
And I have that unspoken in public goal too!

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:

Last edited by Pachimac; 03-05-2022 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have no goals, just flying by the seat of my pants lol

I'm really behind in tagging my photos though, if I was to pick a goal right now it would be to get that caught up. Not really scrapping but related

Old 03-05-2022, 11:24 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I haven't made any specific goals except to finish my daughter's wedding album - they celebrate 8 years in a few days, so I'm a bit behind on that, but in my defense, I've only been scrapping again since February of last year - I jumped in right around last year's birthday celebration.

I'm also working on an album for my youngest daughter's senior year.

And I have an album for each of my grands started.

And I have started doing PL pages for this year and I'm not going to go back and try to do any pages from previous years because I really sucked at taking photos those years.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I scrap somewhat chronologically. I choose a 6 month time period (or a specific vacation) and scrap those pictures in any order until I'm completely finished (Project Life and non-PL pages) and can print the book. My goal is to scrap each 6-month period in as close to 6 months as possible so I don't fall further behind. I just sent January to June 2020 for printing. It took me 7.5 months, so good enough. Now I'm working on July to December 2020. I'm hoping to have it finished by August, but we'll see.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My main goal is to stay current with this year's weekly project. So far I'm doing alright with that. I've scrapped into February, so not bad. I'll probaby be making another page or two this weekend, so that'll get me caught up completely.

Other than that it's to slowly finish previous years where I'm very behind. I have to finish 2019, 2020, and 2021. I've started with 2021 since it's freshest in memory and I'm making at least one page of this album when I do the current year's album, so I figure I'll eventually catch up.

All of my "new" photos are arranged by year and then week, so it's easy to do a week at a time. And I keep a paper journal, which I consult to help jar my memory when scrapping each week. Once I've scrapped each week, the photos get moved into their permanent folders.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My goals are usually project oriented as well but this year, I have been thinking about expanding my scrapbooking into more of an art for me (in addition to the more memory-keeping, practical pocket pages I usually make for the family). I am working through a whole bunch of emotions around the deaths of my dad last year and other family members lately as well as the pandemic and my kids heading off to college that I feel like it might be both satisfying and therapeutic to scrap about. So, I guess I'm in the process of making that a goal.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I have no goals, just flying by the seat of my pants lol

I'm really behind in tagging my photos though, if I was to pick a goal right now it would be to get that caught up. Not really scrapping but related
I have never really tagged anything. I don't know why. It would probably make things easier.

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Old 03-05-2022, 03:25 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jo View Post
I haven't made any specific goals except to finish my daughter's wedding album - they celebrate 8 years in a few days, so I'm a bit behind on that, but in my defense, I've only been scrapping again since February of last year - I jumped in right around last year's birthday celebration.
Good luck!! 8 years down the line, I bet they will love reminiscing!!

Quote:
I'm also working on an album for my youngest daughter's senior year.
O, that will be awesome!

Quote:
And I have an album for each of my grands started.
Special gifts!!!!

Quote:
And I have started doing PL pages for this year and I'm not going to go back and try to do any pages from previous years because I really sucked at taking photos those years.
Michael wants me to go back and do the years I missed. I started in 2016. I don't know how feasible that is...memory being what it is and all!

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Old 03-05-2022, 03:26 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I scrap somewhat chronologically. I choose a 6 month time period (or a specific vacation) and scrap those pictures in any order until I'm completely finished (Project Life and non-PL pages) and can print the book. My goal is to scrap each 6-month period in as close to 6 months as possible so I don't fall further behind. I just sent January to June 2020 for printing. It took me 7.5 months, so good enough. Now I'm working on July to December 2020. I'm hoping to have it finished by August, but we'll see.
That is a great idea. I am a "wherever and whenever time it was" scrapper and sometimes it's hard to scrap them all.

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Old 03-05-2022, 03:27 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Well, it sounds like you have everything in order - it's just time to get er done!

I'll have to look in your store - are you still doing template packs? I did my first year's Project 52 with your templates! I didn't know where you went after GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponytails View Post
My main goal is to stay current with this year's weekly project. So far I'm doing alright with that. I've scrapped into February, so not bad. I'll probaby be making another page or two this weekend, so that'll get me caught up completely.

Other than that it's to slowly finish previous years where I'm very behind. I have to finish 2019, 2020, and 2021. I've started with 2021 since it's freshest in memory and I'm making at least one page of this album when I do the current year's album, so I figure I'll eventually catch up.

All of my "new" photos are arranged by year and then week, so it's easy to do a week at a time. And I keep a paper journal, which I consult to help jar my memory when scrapping each week. Once I've scrapped each week, the photos get moved into their permanent folders.

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Old 03-05-2022, 03:29 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
My goals are usually project oriented as well but this year, I have been thinking about expanding my scrapbooking into more of an art for me (in addition to the more memory-keeping, practical pocket pages I usually make for the family). I am working through a whole bunch of emotions around the deaths of my dad last year and other family members lately as well as the pandemic and my kids heading off to college that I feel like it might be both satisfying and therapeutic to scrap about. So, I guess I'm in the process of making that a goal.
Oh hun, I understand. I'm so sorry it has been such a hard time lately. One year we lost 10 close family members or friends (starting on Jan 11 with my Dad and that whole year of 2011 was just HELL. Add the pandemic and you must have so many emotions to clear and understand! Art Journaling may be your friend this year!

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Old 03-05-2022, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My goal this year is to stay caught up with this year and work on 2021 when I'm not scrapping this year. In the past, I've been a "scrap what I feel" scrapper, but I realized that kind of paralyzed me because it gave me too many choices and I often didn't know where to start. So, now I'm going to take a more chronological approach, unless, I'm just really in the mood to scrap a particular theme or event. I would really like to start printing photobooks, rather than printing pages, so in order to do that I have to be more disciplined about scrapping chronologically. So far I'm doing pretty good, but I took hardly any photos in January, so I'm not sure that's a really good measure. It seems like vacations and photo heavy family events are what really slow me down. I'm hoping to figure out a way to get past that this year.

Old 03-05-2022, 05:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachimac View Post
That is a great idea. I am a "wherever and whenever time it was" scrapper and sometimes it's hard to scrap them all.
I used to be the same way, but I wanted to switch from printing single pages to printing photobooks. Since I wouldn't be happy having random pages from whenever mixed together in the same book, I had to get more organized. I surprised myself by realizing that I really like scrapping this way. For my older books, I put off the pages that I don't enjoy scrapping, like birthdays where I took a ton of photos. This way I'm forced to deal with them and get them scrapped, so in the long run I feel like I have a better album and don't have all the hard pages hanging over my head.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
I would really like to start printing photobooks, rather than printing pages, so in order to do that I have to be more disciplined about scrapping chronologically. So far I'm doing pretty good, but I took hardly any photos in January, so I'm not sure that's a really good measure. It seems like vacations and photo heavy family events are what really slow me down. I'm hoping to figure out a way to get past that this year.
Good luck! I switched to semi-chronological scrapping (working on a 6-month period at a time) for exactly the same reason, and I have exactly the same 2 problem areas. I'm on about my 4th year of doing it this way. For big family events, I try to choose a handful of the best photos to highlight and do the rest as pocket pages. I'm also more selective, scrapping fewer similar pictures than I used to. For vacations, I set myself a limit for the annual book. For example, I might make 1 spread per day plus scrap my favorite pictures of each family member or each special event. Eventually I do a separate vacation album with all the other photos. It takes me too long to get big vacations scrapped--if I tried to put all the pages in my regular Jan to June/July to Dec albums it would hold me up way too long and mean I needed a 3rd book for the year. This way I feel like the trip was represented in our main album and will be remembered, but it doesn't become a roadblock. In the future, when my kids aren't living at home and I have a lot fewer photos to scrap, I'll get back to any of the vacation albums that I haven't done. So far there's only 1 Disney album on that "someday" list, but I'm sure it will grow by a few more between now and when I reach that "someday."

Last edited by rach3975; 03-05-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a duplicated photos folder on my computer so I can delete the photos as I use them...it helps me feel accomplished. I am SOOOOO behind on scrapping though. I was a designer for a few years and scrapped a bit but then I took several years off and am now really behind. I take or used to take a lot of photos. I take TONS on my vacations too and we travel a lot (usually summer, spring break, thanksgiving break and somewhere in there hubby and I travel alone too)...I have finished 2005 now (some was paper and rest digi). I also finished a trip we did in 2018 to DC as well as our trip to Universal in 2019....but I still have several Disney trips, an earlier Universal trip, several road trips as well as baby photos of my youngest who is now almost 12! My goal was to keep up with 2022 but I am going to fail that bc we are taking a road trip soon for spring break and another in the summer as well as my oldest is graduating so there will be tons of photos. I also take photos from the kids and hubby to include in the travel pages.

So in all that rambling I think I will pick a trip and work on that one until completion as well as staying current on 2022 as much as I can. As far as page goals: I try to remember to add dates, names if it isn't immediate family and some journaling if I can. The older pages from 2007 are harder...now as we get more current 2010 and earlier I can usually find a blurb on Facebook or Insta that helps fill in the gaps where the memory is lacking.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm up to date through 2020, so that feels really current to me, lol.

When it comes to scrapping, my only "goal" is to have fun with it, which is probably why I only made three pages last month...it's just not fun for me right now.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Right now my goal is get my goals organized lol. I need to decide how far back I want to go and knock out some pocket pages to try to do some catch up and then make a list of the pages for the last couple years that need to be done so I can start getting focused again and try, try, try to get somewhat caught up.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My biggest goal for this year is a new way of doing PL (kinda). Two years ago, I did weekly "Design A" double-page spreads, and last year I did single weekly pages with only 3x4 pockets.

I've felt like there were some stories that needed more than a pocket or two but less than an entire page so this year, I am being more intentional in the size and type of page I use to tell my stories. Since I am digital and print as Shutterfly albums, I can't make differently-sized pages like you can in print (unless I were to "waste" pages in my albums by printing them as 8x8 and then cutting off the excess) but I can scrap separate stories together on the same page (like a 3x12 and a 6x12) and scrap them with different kits so it's clear that they don't belong together. I hope that description makes sense?

I've gone through my January and February photos & stories and decided what sizes they're going to be and we'll see what happens. I'll still have lots of 12x12 (printed as 8x8) regular pages and a Random Roundup PL-style monthly spread but the in-between pages are what will be different and I am hoping they will "feel" better told in more appropriate (to me) sizes.

Otherwise, I still have a handful of 2020 photos, half(ish) of 2021, and 2022 to scrap.