Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
LOL While we're on the subject of laundry . .

Is anyone else out there a little 'manic' about how they hang out their washing???

I actually love hanging out laundry (except sheets, especially when its windy!) My own personal mania is: first I have make sure everything is insideout, then sort it: into pants, shirts etc then hang it out in order, all pants then all shirts . . all the while making pretty colour combos . .

One of my friends just hangs everthing with NO organisation whatsoever . . omg, no no NO!! LOL

Please tell me I'm not the only laundry loony in the scrappiverse

Donna
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I was younger, living at home, I was that way... I had all the towels on one line, pants on another (grouped by family member) and then shirts, etc... that way when I took it down, I really only had to short once. Where we live now, no one puts laundry out (and I think it's technically against the HOA rules), plus we really don't have a great place to do it - I'd have to go down the steep steps that are my deck... so we don't hang it outside.

A funny... growing up, my dad always knew when my mom was mad at him because his underwear would be on the outside line, facing the road...
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I have a square hangar instead of a straight line, so I tend to hang the smaller, lighter items on the inside of the square and the bulkier items on the outside of the squre to make sure they get the most exposure.

I also hang to conserve as many connections as possible, so socks get clipped together, I don't clip towels, they hang in half, as do sheets, and I hang my shirts upside down to keep from getting that weird clip hangar look on the shoulders.

Otherwise, the only thing that matters is how fast can I get it up before I'm eaten alive by the mosquitoes.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post

A funny... growing up, my dad always knew when my mom was mad at him because his underwear would be on the outside line, facing the road...
hahahahahahaha
Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have never, not once, hung laundry out to dry. People just don't hang things out here in South Florida. A- we don't often have yards large enough to fit our laundry B- it rains a lot... and with the humidity I don't think anything would dry properly or fast enough even on a dry day.

My grandmother (who lives in Western NY) hangs out her linens to dry outside and they smell fantastic. There's nothing comparable.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't hung things out to dry in years. It's too dusty in El Paso to consider doing it.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

too humid here to hang stuff outside..but growing up I loved using sheets and towels that were hung dry

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

It's too windy (and waaaay too much red dirt around here) to hang laundry here. Not to mention the fact that our neighborhood doesn't allow anything except a grill and patio furniture to be out in the yard.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We hung in Korea as that's what every did and the dryers were horrible. It was very weird to me at first to see everyones undies hanging in the breeze on the roof tops when we first arrived. I grew use to it after awhile. Here we are not aloud to hang. Its against housing rules. :/
Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never hung anything outside to dry, either. I don't think it's very common in American cities to do so. When I grew-up in the country, my grandma always hung sheets and stuff out on the line.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I will hang things out in summer (IN WNY, that's July and August) The other 10 months, there is no guarantee it won't freeze.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've never hung anything out to dry, either. We use the dryer or hang it in the basement. We live in a suburb with houses fairly close together; I've never seen anyone hang things outside.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Humidity is a very good reason not to hang things out, but I had to laugh about yards being too small. I don't have a yard at all and I still hang things to dry.

I put things where they fit on the clotheshorse. Small stuff goes on the lower rungs, big stuff goes on the outer rungs, everything else goes in the middle. I often do more than one load in a day, but I hang them as soon as I take them out, so any further sorting would just be silly. If I put all the shirts together, but take more shirts out later, then what? Besides, I don't want to mix them up because they'll be done drying at different times. Don't get me wrong; I have my quirks about stuff (I actually have OCD) but about laundry, I have to be practical, and sorting on the clotheshorse isn't practical.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorryfach View Post
Humidity is a very good reason not to hang things out, but I had to laugh about yards being too small. I don't have a yard at all and I still hang things to dry.
Call it lack of knowledge... I am not familiar with it except for my Grandmother... she had huge stretching lines out in her yard, so I guess in my mind it takes up lots of space. I'm thinking this:

Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Here's mine on the balcony
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorryfach View Post
Here's mine on the balcony
Oh, that is cool! I've never seen a laundry rack like that before.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapweaver View Post
first I have make sure everything is insideout, then sort it: into pants, shirts etc then hang it out in order, all pants then all shirts . . all the while making pretty colour combos . .
Yup, you're nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
I have a square hangar instead of a straight line, so I tend to hang the smaller, lighter items on the inside of the square and the bulkier items on the outside of the squre to make sure they get the most exposure.
Exactly this! I get to hang stuff out for maybe 6 weeks of the year, because for the other 10.5 months it's raining - at which time I use something similar to Lorry's.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I can't stand air drying stuff. It feels all hard and crusty to me.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapweaver View Post
Please tell me I'm not the only laundry loony in the scrappiverse
You aren't I don't even own a dryer so I hang outside (inside in the winter or when it rains on a drying rack) I also have everything inside out (keeps things from fading) and I also hang by type of clothing/article but I hang all of mine and then all of DD's. That way when I (or her) take it off the line all hers go into her basket and all mine goes into my basket and we fold our own.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

when I was in Florida, I hang clothes outside (not all though) using the drying rack like Lorry's shown. I put the rack on the back patio so no neighbors can see it.
and now I'm in Aussie, everybody hangs their laundry out and I do it like Darcy did (we have the square one as well).
Old 07-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

My dryer broke about 3 weeks ago, and since it has been so hot, I still haven't called the repair man, and have been hanging on two drying racks on my very small patio. I'm not too particular. The dryer is still running, but there is no heat in it, so I do throw the clothes in it for about 10 minutes with a bounce sheet to soften them up a little bit, otherwise they feel way too hard and crusty to me.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's too dusty here too. Our porch gets covered in crud within a day so I shudder to think about leaving my wet laundry out there!