Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-26-2022, 07:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you shop at Costco or other warehouse store?

DH is a little too enamored of Costco, in my opinion. We just got back with over $300!! worth of stuff. And we didn't even buy anything particularly expensive like a tv or anything -- it was all just food. I know they have some good deals but it always seems like we end up throwing away a lot of food which makes me wonder if it really is a good deal in the end.

We almost always get our TVs and computers there because they do have a great tech service and warranties. And, DH drinks a lot of soda so he buys it in cases from there. Plus things like paper towels, etc.

Do you shop at any of the warehouse stores? What do you like to buy there?
Old 03-26-2022, 08:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes we love Costco. Our family isn't big so we don't use it for food that often.
Mostly the paper products, my Orgain Plant Based Protein shakes and different types of drinks, like waters, juices etc.
I also LOVE their big BATH towels. And they have some black work pants that I buy whenever they have them in stock.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Prior to the pandemic we shopped at costco, but even then it was only a few times a year. The closest one to us is 2 hours away so it wasn't something we did regularly. Since the pandemic we really haven't gone into the city much so we haven't renewed our membership. Maybe now that things have calmed down but we'll see.. everything is so expensive and with fuel costs i'm just not sure if we're really saving any money going.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We've had a Costco membership on and off for over 20 years. There was a period of time where I dropped it, but picked it back up about 5 years ago. Similar to KCB, I haven't been in a Costco since the pandemic, but I order through Instacart about once a month. Even though I'm usually paying $40 for a tip, it's worth it to save 2 hours of my time and the random stuff I'd buy if I were actually in the store (plus I save gas too).

I also buy gifts from Costco and have them shipped directly to people.

Not everything is cheaper, so it's definitely worthwhile to do some research. That's especially true if you're stuck with a larger quantity than you need. I've seen a lot of products that are actually cheaper in the grocery store. Same with electronics, it's not always the cheapest. We bought our stove there. I waited for it to go on sale and we saved several hundred dollars.

Some of the products are made specifically for Costco (or other box stores) and may be slightly lower in quality, so I always consider the utility of what I'm buying. It's definitely one of the places I compare when I go to make a purchase
Old 03-26-2022, 08:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Where are the opposite of Kristin and Sheri. Before the pandemic, we were really careful to only go once a month, at the most. But during the pandemic, we really “needed“ some of the things they sell that you can’t get anywhere else, like Dr Pepper. And now it seems that we shop there once a week, which would be fine, if we only got the things that we went there to get. But you know we never do. Joel comes home with all kinds of things that were “such a good deal!”. The thing about our version of Costco is that they have all these amazing things from America that suck me in and take all my money. I can actually resist it better in the states because they don’t sell anything that I can’t get somewhere else.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:20 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

No Costco near me but do have a Sam's Club in the city 15 miles from me.

I used to go twice a year. I'd stock up on toilet paper, kleenex, paper towels, and other non-food things as needed. I had just gone in January 2020 and had gotten my 2 big packages of toilet paper. Boy was I glad in March!!! I have an area in my basement where I can stock these items so definitely prefer the bulk buying for them.

I have been there at least twice during the pandemic. I have noticed that some paper items may not be available when I'm there. The supply isn't consistent. Last time I was there they didn't have the toilet paper brand I buy nor did they have any square boxes of tissues in any brand. Last visit was maybe 6 months ago?

The other thing I like to buy there are the big packages of batteries. It seems like I go through them so fast so instead of buying small packages all the time, I get the big ones.

Food is usually not a good buy for me since I cook for one. Bulk just doesn't work unless it is non-perishable.

I go in with a list and try to stick to it.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have Costco and Sam's memberships and I go almost WEEKLY! It is a huge help with teen boys. I prefer Costco...over Sam's. We got a Sam's membership for $5 through Tmobile.
I use it to buy almost ALL of my groceries...fruit is a big one, cheese, sodas, chips for lunches, uncrustables, bacon, paper products, eggs, water, trash bags, meat, spices, rice, baking supplies...really almost everything.
The only thing I get at a regular grocery store is bread (we don't eat a lot of it), certain cereals, milk (don't drink a lot of it) and ice cream
Old 03-26-2022, 10:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We go to Costco as date morning lol ... way too often! I like Costco - I don't know why, I just like browsing and seeing what's new ... we even go to Costco wherever we go on vacation, just to see what's there lol

Old 03-27-2022, 09:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have a Costco membership thru my hubbies job and we pay for a Sam's Club membership. I don't think I like one over the other. I just enjoy exploring. I'll put my air pods in, turn on a podcast and explore. I'm sure I'm a weirdo but I don't care.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We go to Costco. I always think I'll have fun wandering around and shopping, but it has been so crowded lately that I just want to get in and get out as quickly as possible. I am a classic underbuyer, so I usually stick to what is on my list and maybe a few things I know we need and forgot to put on my list. My husband actually works near our Costco, so he can pop in for things as we need them. He is the dangerous one, though, our family's overbuyer, so he comes home with all the "good deals" lol. I don't mind though, because it's stuff I wish I would just buy but can't bring myself to do it! We buy meat, frozen fruit, paper products, rice, and some other odds & ends regularly. Also, I LOVE the wool blend socks they have every autumn--best socks ever!

Old 03-27-2022, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
Yes we love Costco. Our family isn't big so we don't use it for food that often.
Mostly the paper products, my Orgain Plant Based Protein shakes and different types of drinks, like waters, juices etc.
I also LOVE their big BATH towels. And they have some black work pants that I buy whenever they have them in stock.
We have a pool so we use a lot of beach towels and Costco towels are THE BEST! In fact, I was just looking through some photos from 20 years ago when my son was born and there was a beach towel in one of the photos that we still have. And it's still in good shape!
Old 03-27-2022, 11:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
We've had a Costco membership on and off for over 20 years. There was a period of time where I dropped it, but picked it back up about 5 years ago. Similar to KCB, I haven't been in a Costco since the pandemic, but I order through Instacart about once a month. Even though I'm usually paying $40 for a tip, it's worth it to save 2 hours of my time and the random stuff I'd buy if I were actually in the store (plus I save gas too).

I also buy gifts from Costco and have them shipped directly to people.

Not everything is cheaper, so it's definitely worthwhile to do some research. That's especially true if you're stuck with a larger quantity than you need. I've seen a lot of products that are actually cheaper in the grocery store. Same with electronics, it's not always the cheapest. We bought our stove there. I waited for it to go on sale and we saved several hundred dollars.

Some of the products are made specifically for Costco (or other box stores) and may be slightly lower in quality, so I always consider the utility of what I'm buying. It's definitely one of the places I compare when I go to make a purchase
We use Instacart for our regular groceries and I never thought of using them for Costco. Good idea!
Old 03-27-2022, 11:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
No Costco near me but do have a Sam's Club in the city 15 miles from me.

I used to go twice a year. I'd stock up on toilet paper, kleenex, paper towels, and other non-food things as needed. I had just gone in January 2020 and had gotten my 2 big packages of toilet paper. Boy was I glad in March!!! I have an area in my basement where I can stock these items so definitely prefer the bulk buying for them.

I have been there at least twice during the pandemic. I have noticed that some paper items may not be available when I'm there. The supply isn't consistent. Last time I was there they didn't have the toilet paper brand I buy nor did they have any square boxes of tissues in any brand. Last visit was maybe 6 months ago?

The other thing I like to buy there are the big packages of batteries. It seems like I go through them so fast so instead of buying small packages all the time, I get the big ones.

Food is usually not a good buy for me since I cook for one. Bulk just doesn't work unless it is non-perishable.

I go in with a list and try to stick to it.
I forgot about the batteries! You're right, those big packs of batteries are great at Costco.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
We go to Costco. I always think I'll have fun wandering around and shopping, but it has been so crowded lately that I just want to get in and get out as quickly as possible. I am a classic underbuyer, so I usually stick to what is on my list and maybe a few things I know we need and forgot to put on my list. My husband actually works near our Costco, so he can pop in for things as we need them. He is the dangerous one, though, our family's overbuyer, so he comes home with all the "good deals" lol. I don't mind though, because it's stuff I wish I would just buy but can't bring myself to do it! We buy meat, frozen fruit, paper products, rice, and some other odds & ends regularly. Also, I LOVE the wool blend socks they have every autumn--best socks ever!
I'm a total sucker for their clothes in the "oh, they're such a good deal" kind of way. I try to avoid that section.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Costco is the only remaining membership... we let go of Sam's a few years ago. I used to go a lot more, but since I'm trying to keep my inventory in check at home, don't go as often... but still manage to drop $$$$ money there last year, haha.

My main items I always get there... Coffee (hubby loves starbucks k-cups and when it is on rebate for 50cents a pod is when we stock up), butter (I love my kerrygold), organic everything... and paper products like tp and paper towels. We also get our tires from there, but that is a once in a 5 year timeframe. Also postage stamps as it's "cheapest" there.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh man... I love costco too! I literally go every 4 days. We billet two teenage hockey players who eat a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk & a dozen eggs per day. Lol On top of them- I have my own 2 kids & hubby so we are frequent shoppers. When we don't have the boys- it's more like once every 2 weeks or so. Besides bread, milk & eggs- i do love their produce too! The Mediterranean salad mix is my fav! Fresh Berries are always cheaper there as well. And I always buy a lot of their chicken breasts/tenderloins since that's a staple in almost every pregame meal for the guys. Sadly, most of my wardrobe comes from there too since I hate clothes shopping & I'm already there so much! We also go thru paper products crazy fast with 6 people living here! Thankfully we have one super close too- 10 minutes from my house!
Old 03-27-2022, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're Sam's people. I share a membership with my mom. I've gotten 2 sets of tires, an eye exam and my first glasses, and several vaccines. I always check the clothes dept and used to get a lot of great deals on Carter's outfits when the boys were little and almost always walk out with some clothing item for someone. I like their towels and bath mats, pool towels, paper products, frozen foods, drinks and meats. And I always holiday shop there for gifts. Oh, and gas. They are usually by far the cheapest gas around.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We used to, but we don't have either very close to us anymore. I always preferred Costco and my hubby like Sam's better.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We're pretty regular Costco shoppers. I use them for all of my non-perishables and meat, as well as some breads and veggies. Usually we buy fruit and veggies at Safeway just because with only three of us at home we can eat them fast enough before they go bad. I do love Costco for the housewares and they were great for baby/kid clothes. I love their brand of activewear too. I have an executive membership and I always make enough back each year that it covers the cost of the next membership fee, so it works out pretty good for us.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:00 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We don't have a Costco nearby, but we have a BJs.
We shop there 1-2 times a month, sometimes a little more if we are having a party or event. I do buy lots of groceries, paper products, and household stuff there. I also love their clothing, the prices are fantastic (especially since I had to basically buy a whole new wardrobe last year) I buy some fruit n veggies there, but I also hit our Aldi, Giant, Redners and sometimes Shop Rite during the week for items like that.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-28-2022, 08:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have Costco and BJ's memberships. We like Costco better. Kept the BJ's one for my DD as her flat is next to a BJ's club so very convenient for her. We shop almost everything at Costco - milk, eggs, fruits, meat, frozen food, paper products, rice, vitamins, clothes...and yes, they have the cheapest gas! One thing we have yet to take advantage of is their travel packages. We have friends who use Costco for travel all the time and I was told their perks are the best!!
Old 03-28-2022, 10:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculeah View Post
One thing we have yet to take advantage of is their travel packages. We have friends who use Costco for travel all the time and I was told their perks are the best!!
We used them for our Alaska cruise and was surprised on the perks. Some were unexpected. Vouchers for spending money, meals included, drinks and dinner on our train ride....lots of awesome perks.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:23 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have both a Sam's Club & Costco membership because there are things that we prefer at both. For example, I find the chicken is cheaper at Sam's while at Costco they have the Izzy drinks my boys love. We live in Massachusetts but the warehouse stores nearest to us are in New Hampshire, that saves us on sales tax for the non-food items.

The key for me is to not let my husband or sons come with me unless absolutely necessary, they get a little too excited about the stuff (especially my husband LOL) and we always buy stuff we don't need that the boys or husband swear they will eat or use but then don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
We used them for our Alaska cruise and was surprised on the perks. Some were unexpected. Vouchers for spending money, meals included, drinks and dinner on our train ride....lots of awesome perks.
That's great to know! We were scheduled to go to Alaska in 2020 but COVID canceled those plans. I'm hoping we can go next year and will check out the Costco plans.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculeah View Post
We have Costco and BJ's memberships. We like Costco better. Kept the BJ's one for my DD as her flat is next to a BJ's club so very convenient for her. We shop almost everything at Costco - milk, eggs, fruits, meat, frozen food, paper products, rice, vitamins, clothes...and yes, they have the cheapest gas! One thing we have yet to take advantage of is their travel packages. We have friends who use Costco for travel all the time and I was told their perks are the best!!
I always use Costco to book rental cars. You don't have to pay in advance to get the best rates and you get an additional driver for free. Definitely the way to go.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:17 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

We don't have any memberships to these types of stores because we don't have any close enough to us to justify it. It's 45 minutes away for any of those stores, but we have friends who love Costco, so sometimes I'll go with them and pick up a few things. I can see that I'd spend WAY too much money if I went there often enough. Mostly I just get wine when I go there, but I've also gotten some sweatpants, socks, snacks and that type of stuff. I might ask her to take me when it gets close to graduation party in June though.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:19 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

We have a Costco, but I've never been. I do shop at Sam's weekly - every Tuesday. I make our menu for the week and my shopping list and hit Sam's first and load it into my cooler if it's a cold item and then Kroger. I buy certain items from Sam's - meat/poultry, some fruits/veggies, yogurt, milk, eggs, paper products. Their scan and go is a must - I'm in and out of there in about 20 minutes. I run through their clothing randomly to see if they have anything new that I'd like as it's usually a good deal. Our Sam's membership is a good thing for our family as we have 5 adults that live in our house - so we do go through the food and I cook most nights - not a lot of waste here (everyone eats the leftovers for lunches). I'm supposed to be putting my menu together right now....but I got a bit off track

Old 03-29-2022, 06:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have 3 Costcos within easy driving distance. I shop there pretty regularly even though our family is smaller now. I buy 99% of all my meat there, tp, paper plates, some frozen foods, vitamins/medicine, batteries, chips/snacks and canned staples like their canned chicken/tuna. The food tends to be better quality than our local stores. I also buy some of their clothes. I don't like to go with my DH typically because he wants to look at everything and their concrete floors kill my back haha. I prefer to go at quieter, less crowded times (5:30pm on Sunday nights) and stick with my list so I can get out pretty quickly (and in theory spend less LOL).
Old 04-04-2022, 12:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We shop at Costco. I buy fruits & veggies there a lot. I also love the price of their protein bars/shakes, K-cups, tortellini, nuts/cheese/dried fruit packs, and shredded cheese, honestly, we get lots of food there.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
DH is a little too enamored of Costco, in my opinion. We just got back with over $300!! worth of stuff.
We went to Costco yesterday...and spent over $300. What is it with Costco?!
Within minutes of entering the store, my DH found a set of ratchet straps that he "needed" (because it has 4 and the set he already has only has 2 *eyeroll*). He also picked up a hammock- we already bought the same hammock last summer, and we don't have any trees in our yard and there are rarely trees at our campsites. However, when I pointed out the folding table/chairs & said 'we should get that for hosting Easter", I was turned down because we already have 2 (really old, seen better days) card tables.

Other than all of the random things my husband never knew he needed, we typically pick up toilet paper, snacks for my kids' classrooms (Goldfish, fruit bars), cherry tomatoes are the best there, I love the bibigo chicken wontons, and these delicious almond flour crackers.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
We went to Costco yesterday...and spent over $300. What is it with Costco?!
Within minutes of entering the store, my DH found a set of ratchet straps that he "needed" (because it has 4 and the set he already has only has 2 *eyeroll*). He also picked up a hammock- we already bought the same hammock last summer, and we don't have any trees in our yard and there are rarely trees at our campsites. However, when I pointed out the folding table/chairs & said 'we should get that for hosting Easter", I was turned down because we already have 2 (really old, seen better days) card tables.

Other than all of the random things my husband never knew he needed, we typically pick up toilet paper, snacks for my kids' classrooms (Goldfish, fruit bars), cherry tomatoes are the best there, I love the bibigo chicken wontons, and these delicious almond flour crackers.
LOL, yes, THIS!
Old 04-05-2022, 07:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We finally have a Costco not 25 -35 mins from us.
I usually only buy meat,, & maybe new stuff we want to try but never allow myself to go over $100. If it’s my husband paying that’s a different story bc he’ll grab stuff & keep grabbing stuff if I let him.
I also like some of the clothes they have, I’ll usually buy shirts & whatever is cheap.
I’m a couponer so I don’t really spend on bulk laundry stuff, toothpaste paper towels or bath tissue, household goods, etc.
I try to go once a month bc the clothing tables switch pretty regularly.