Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Default What would you do - right vs easy?

I'm having an issue at work. I could take the easy road and ignore my cheating college students or I could turn them in for violating code. This would require my writing up numerous reports and potentially having this go before a hearing. Also, since the students get to evaulate my teaching, it is likely to significantly lower those evals. My new boss is all about evals.

I have warned my students about this in the past. It's in my syllabus; we talk about it in class.

As for the student who downloaded something off of Google and turned it in as his own - yep, he's getting turned in...

Sadly a lot of my colleagues take the easy road because the right road is so much harder... If I ask my new boss he is likely to tell me it is my choice.

ETA: I would only turn in the most greivous offenders. To make this even more sad, this course is in their major. The project is almost an exact replica of what they'll be doing when they get a job...

Last edited by beaucat; 04-07-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I would take it on a student to student basis. If they are blatantly plagarazing or copying then yes, I would turn them in.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

That's pretty sad that you've even been put in that position. You would think that they would have learned a little dignity and honor in grade school.....that's really just outrageous for a college student to risk everything like that. I'm sure they do it, but I guess I'm just old school. Don't schools still have clauses that if you cheat, you're kicked out? I personally would write them all up. Cheating is cheating and I don't see how there are lesser degrees of it - unless of course there is somebody who really was not aware about proper credit of sources, etc... still you'd think they'd know that by now too.
Write their butts up. They cannot make it through life cheating and taking the easy road. Better for it to catch up with them now than later down the road and cause even greater problems for them. I say stand for what you know is right and let the chips fall where they may. But of course it's not always that easy. Sorry you are put in this position (((HUGS)))

facebook
Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I think this is a time to be parental a little bit. It's not going to further them any by letting them cheat. They are going to learn they can get away with it. If you are really concerned with 'educating' them turning them in, writing up reports, etc. could be the most significant thing YOU do in their lives. The thing that teaches them the most. They might hate you now, but honestly if you live your life worried about others opinion of you you're going to go crazy. Do your job the best you can. If your boss gets mad because you turned in some cheaters and had high standards for your students and your school, they are an idiot too.

Sorry. I have strong feelings about plagerism.

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I say turn them in. They know better at this point in their academic career. They know what is cheating & what is research. As long as you have the evidence to back it up, I think you should do it.

Be sure to tell your boss you're reporting however many people it is so he's aware of the situation before the evaluations come back.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I agree, I think they should all know by now that what they did was wrong and should be punished for it. If they aren't, then they will assume they can always take the easy way out. As for the Evals if your takes only those into account without background information as to why then your boss isn't too bright. It's almost like they've set you up for failure when you try to do the right thing! But when all is said and done the real question is what decision can you live with?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would never take the easy road...if it was just a small thing I might talk to them and let them know that I know and that if it happens again it will be reported. If it was happening alot then I would let them know that I know and that it isnt going to happen anymore because it is being reported.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

ohhh and if they are found to be cheating like you said I doubt THOSE evals will be held with much measure. They will know who was turned in and if their evals are colored signifigantly towards a negative manner they will likely know the reason for that!! I would not worry about that personally

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I've spent most of the afternoon typing up the academic dishonesty charges after deciding this morning that I had to do what I feel is right. (Figures, it should take them less than a hour to do the project but they have to cheat so I spend most of the afternoon writing them up!) Two cases in particular tick me off given they blatantly copied off of the internet (umm, I can Google too!)

Our school has a two strike rule so this shouldn't get them kicked out of the university (unless they've been found guilty before.) I really hope it serves as a wakeup call for at least some of them.

Sigh. Life would be so much easier if everyone would hold themselves accountable for their own lives!

PS I had more than one colleague tell me I shouldn't "bother" with this.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My husband deals with this too and it's definitely frustrating for him and sucks a lot of his time. But I agree, doing the right thing may be a pain, but it's best for the students.