Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default I don't want to ruffle feathers..

but could someone PLEASE explain the vampire love phenomenon that has been going on everywhere in movies and books? I just don't understand.. LOL!

Pale guys who want to suck my blood are not sexy to me at all :P
Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yeah. not sure what it is. I'm not a vampire or werewolf or any of that fan.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Bwahahaha!!! Totally with you on that one...but I don't like anything even close to paranormal stuffs.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't like any of it either...

Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

well for me it was him

I did not even want to read the books before I saw the movie...but oh my word. I LOVE Cam Gigandet from the Twilight movie. Ive seen him in other movies and was always like ehh LOL I wish he was in all the movies!

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

LOL!

I read the Twilight books and enjoyed them. But, I don't find Edward hot at all. I'm actually sick of the movies, I'll be glad when the last one comes out to get it over with.

I love True Blood & the books, however, I like Sam & Alcide (not blood suckers). Jason as well, who is human. Eric doesn't do it for me, at first he did, but not anymore. And I like the way Bill talks. LOL! But that's all.

I'm not into any of the other Vampire shows/books out there. And I don't like the idea of anyone sucking my blood.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

i agree with you Kristin i don't really understand the craze at all

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am not into a vamp sucking my blood but I will gladly invite my hubby to nibble on my neck. And suck for that matter. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You KNOW I had to go there! LOL
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
LOL!

I read the Twilight books and enjoyed them. But, I don't find Edward hot at all. I'm actually sick of the movies, I'll be glad when the last one comes out to get it over with.

I love True Blood & the books, however, I like Sam & Alcide (not blood suckers). Jason as well, who is human. Eric doesn't do it for me, at first he did, but not anymore. And I like the way Bill talks. LOL! But that's all.

I'm not into any of the other Vampire shows/books out there. And I don't like the idea of anyone sucking my blood.
Pretty much all the same here...except Eric still does it for me!! lol
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

LMAO was wondering if someone was going to

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
I am not into a vamp sucking my blood but I will gladly invite my hubby to nibble on my neck. And suck for that matter. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You KNOW I had to go there! LOL

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't get the hype either. I haven't ready any of the books, haven't watched any of the movies...don't plan on it either! LOL
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I not into the vampire thing either. But if my DH wants to nibble a little bit that is ok.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love vamp leading men so I guess I'm a "fang banger" only fictitiously though. I'm pretty sure if someone tried to suck my blood IRL they would get a face full of mace and a knee to the ole groin.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I read the Twilight series and can see why they are popular, but I think she should have picked Jacob--who wants to snuggle with an ice cube?

Haven't seen the movies, don't get into any of the other series (books, tv, or whatever) so I'm not sure why it's such a big thing.

The other one I don't get? Zombies. I mean, gross!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What everyone is really missing out on is Moonlight, which I'm sure was only killed because if that dumb writers strike in 2007. I loved that show! He was a vampire, but hated it, so he tried to fit in with humans and got blood from the blood bank. He was a PI too, and there was a cute reporter who figured him out. Fun show...and the only reason unread Twilight. I thought Twilight was a fun read, but I totally imagined my Greek Statue husband the whole time...
Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am not into the vampire stuff either. I want a warm body next to me.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I am a weirdo I like Vampire books...I don't really get the hype, but I like those kinds of books even before Twilight came out...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I don't read vampire books just for the vampire crap, but I'm not opposed to it either? I guess I don't care either way as long as it's a good story!

Most vampire books are written to where the man wants the woman wholly and totally and can't stay away from how wonderful she is, he's above-human an yet he wants a lowly human. That's what women buy into I think.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The first time I picked up Twilight in the bookstore, having no idea what it was but knowing there was a huge amount of hype around it, my reaction was "Vampires? Really? Never mind." But a few months later I was curious again, so I read it and absolutely loved it.

I've got to admit, I've read hundreds of paranormal books since. I never expected to get into them, but I love urban fantasy. It's the perfect entertainment and relaxation genre for me; a mix of romance and mystery that helps me escape from real-life problems for a bit. Most of the fiction and chick lit that I'm interested in depresses me. I can't read mysteries or thrillers; I scare myself and jump at shadows. (But I can read a paranormal mystery no problem, because I have no fear of a rogue werewolf or vampire hunter or whatever trying to break into my house, LOL.) So it's not exactly that I love supernatural creatures and reading about them, but that seems to be where the good, escapist stories are right now.

Last edited by rach3975; 08-16-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

For me it was Antonio Banderas as Armand in Interview with the vampire. However I LOVE LOVE LOVE True blood.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Yeah - I don't really get it either. I read the Twilight books, and I liked them. The movies have been "meh" for me. And, I don't have any desire to read any other Vampire books. Someone would have to do a really good job convincing me that it was a GREAT story (and well-written). My reading time is so scarce these days, that I'm only going to read something that's really worth it to me. Of course, all of that is completely a matter of opinion, and I don't have any problem with other people reading whatever they want to read.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For me, it has nothing to do with vampires or werewolves. I just like a good story that takes me away from reality and entertains me. Twilight, Sookie, and the Vampire Academy books did that for me. I also read the House of NIght series because my daughter wanted to read them, and at the time she started on them, I preead almost everything she read to make sure it was appropriate. I actually like those the best of all of them, being vampyres is the least important aspect of the stories.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

this helped put things in perspective for me! thanks for humoring me as usual girls <3
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't get it either. When all this Twilight stuff started my sister who is not a reader called and said I HAD to read the books. I didn't even finished the last one I thought it was so ridiculous. And now you have a YA marked flooded with copycat vampire and werewolf stuff that isn't good.

If you want to read a GOOD well written story about vampires then read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. So much better.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Like some of the others, for me it's just a good story that will suck me right in. I have gotten into cheesy YA paranormal books...on the inside I guess I am a 15 year old girl. No, really, I share books with my coworkers 15 year old daughter!

What I really do like a LOT, I've found, are dystopian novels. While some are kind of crazy, some of them are really imaginative and interesting!!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post

BEST LINE EVER
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I resisted the Twilight books for the longest time but when I finally caved in an read them I LOVED them! I normally read murder/mystery books and the vampire stuff was a nice change. Im not into smutty romance novels at all but the vamp stories gives me some romance with an edge to it that I like. I've read Twilight, Vampire Academy, Black Dagger Brotherhood (OH MY WORD- those are some sexy vamps!), and Sookie Stackhouse series and loved all of them!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was pretty opposed to the idea of the Twilight books at first. Then EVERYONE I knew had read them so I figured I should read them strictly for conversational purposes. Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed them. Unfortunately, the movies left me cold (no pun intended). I don't care for paranormal just because it is paranormal though. In fact, I typically steer clear of those types of books.

The movies... well, I didn't like the movies at all. I think they chose poorly for Edward and Bella.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I haven't ever seen the movies and I couldnt get into the Twilight books at all.. I tried twice and couldn't do it.

I loved the books for True Blood but the show.. killed it. I don't watch it and won't.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't get it either - I dislike the idea of vampires

and yet I'm devouring the Brotherhood series and LOVING it.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I loved Anne Rice's vampire books back in the day but cannot really get into the current vampire romance trend these days. Mostly because I have very clear ideas in my head about what a vampire physically can & cannot do and sex is a can't in my book. An erec.tion requires blood circulating in the body, vamps don't have that & it just niggles at me while I am reading so I can't enjoy it. I have the same problem with books set during the Roman empire that have people eating tomatoes & other historical inaccuracies.

I do enjoy paranormal stories but with humans who have psychic talents. The undead do not interest me.

I read something recently online about how the currently explosion of paranormal & dystopian stories is a reaction to the economic turbulence of the times. That starting back about a 100-130 years ago, with the rise of the penny press up through today, you can connect certain trends in fiction to periods of economic & military upheaval because in times of personal stress people turn to science fiction & fantasy to escape their problems for a little while. It was an interesting article. I'll link it if I can find it again.

Last edited by Stacey42; 08-17-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracelikerain View Post
The other one I don't get? Zombies. I mean, gross!
Ditto that!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me it is not a matter of being obsessed with vampire stuff, it is just that if it is a good story, I'll read it. To me, the Twilight books were great stories. I don't think Edward is hot, LOL, but I still loved the books and liked the movies. I haven't seen True Blood or anything else, so I can't really comment on anything else.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

No, I don't get the recent compulsion to sexify vampires and werewolves--they're *deadly* monsters, they're not supposed to have romance, they're supposed to KILL you. All these monsters that have been paranormal romanced to me are the chihuahuas of the monster world; they've had their teeth pulled, the danger minimized, and turned into simple Bad Boys for the sake of a thrill of danger.

I prefer my monsters to stay monsters. At least, theoretically, you can't romanticize a zombie, you know? Their function is mindlessness, and they're a huge metaphor (just like the vampire started out as).

My daughter loved the Twilight stories, at least at first, and they got her reading for pleasure, which I appreciate. Me? I can't get past the idea of a vampire wanting a woman sexually/for love. I read Anne Rice's stories back in the day when a 'bad boy' vampire was a new thing. And Buffy the Vampire Slayer, when vampires were evil. Those are the cool vamps.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i don't understand it at all but i kinda like it.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Okay so I guess I was 10 when The Lost Boys came out. Jason Patric and Kiefer Sutherland got me hooked and then Interview came out, so I was going through puberty in the thrall of vampire fiction and films. It's never gone away! I read Twilight but truthfully there are so many better series (JR Ward, Kim Harrison,Laurell K. Hamilton) I would recommend them. But if you like your vamps sweet and cuddly, Twilight is your genre. I am tempted to try Richelle Meads YA because I loved her Succubus series and I'm curently reading Cassandra Clare's City of Bones.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
I don't read vampire books just for the vampire crap, but I'm not opposed to it either? I guess I don't care either way as long as it's a good story!

Most vampire books are written to where the man wants the woman wholly and totally and can't stay away from how wonderful she is, he's above-human an yet he wants a lowly human. That's what women buy into I think.
what Traci said.
Though my vampire love has been rocking since I was like 12 and read LJ Smith's Night World books.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 08-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't read these replies yet so sorry if I am just reiterating what someone already said!

Well...I wouldn't say I am obsessed but I get it. I think there is something kind of sexy about mystery and a bad boy...and that is part of the draw. I LOVE Eric/ Alexander Skarsgard and Damon/Ian Somehalder. they are smokin hot. hahah! It's not like I think about them sucking my blood cause that's weird and creepy but they have really intriguing personas/characters. All the hot guys play vampires. Plus I think with a vampire who can't die and they want to be with you forever is a romantic though. I mean..if you have infinity and you choose one person to spend it with, you must love 'em a whole awful lot!

For me...it's mostly the sexy bad boy thing. I am totally over Edward and I also LOVE Alcide *swoon*
Old 08-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

[QUOTE=Stacey42;1025406An erec.tion requires blood circulating in the body, vamps don't have that & it just niggles at me while I am reading so I can't enjoy it. [/QUOTE]

Not to be too graphic, but some corpses have erec.tions, especially if they died by hanging. Theoretically, if the guy was aroused when he died, the vampire would have one permanently. Which would add a new twist to the narrative...
Old 08-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't get the love for it. I read Twilight after it hit paperback, but before there became such an intense fan following. I bought the book at Walmart for about 6 bucks because I was headed to the beach and I always just grab a cheap book with an interesting cover-- if it gets destroyed by sand/water or gets lost, I don't get upset, because I'm only out a couple of bucks.

After reading it, I figured I may as well finish the series on subsequent trips down to the gulf, so I just kept picking up books from that series. I saw the first three movies, but I didn't exactly rush to the theatres or anything-- usually I saw them right before they left the theatre... I never did see the 4th film because it was when I was so sick after having Zach. It was the last thing on my mind.

That said, I've never been attracted to the whole vampire thing. Even reading Twilight, I was more a Jacob girl than an Edward girl.

I have to say, the only vampire story I even remotely care about is Let the Right One In. It's pretty dark and horrific, though, and pretty brutal in and of itself. Great book (and really good movie, too-- the ORIGINAL... the remake wasn't as good, to me...)

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I don't get it either, at all. I didn't mind the Twilight series at first, but I am SOO SICK of it now, and the news stories about the actors in the movies. Who the H cares? lol
So not into pale yucky vamps, but smart "geeky" men, like Matthew Gray Gubler. Yup hehehee

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

lol i have always had on obsession with vampires. mostly because i just loved scary movies as a kid. now it's just....i don't know...entertaining to me. i just kinda fell for Eric Northman's character in the books. then i saw the series and Alex Skarsgard as Eric...and well, i'm hooked even more lol. i can't really explain what it is. maybe it's cause i have a very sensitive neck...erogenous zone....:O maybe that's it! lol
Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
Yeah - I don't really get it either. I read the Twilight books, and I liked them. The movies have been "meh" for me. And, I don't have any desire to read any other Vampire books. Someone would have to do a really good job convincing me that it was a GREAT story (and well-written). My reading time is so scarce these days, that I'm only going to read something that's really worth it to me. Of course, all of that is completely a matter of opinion, and I don't have any problem with other people reading whatever they want to read.
I am with Lydia on this! I liked the Twilight books, didn't love them enough to read them through a second time, and I haven't read any other vampire books.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm totally addicted to The Vampire Diaries. I've been watching them on Netflix. LOVE them!

I read all the Twilight books...they were poorly written, but I still read them. I only watched one or two of the movies. I just didn't like them at all.

I read all the Sookie Stackhouse books, but I just can't get into True Blood. It was just more fun in the books I think.