Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappychic
Default Ghost stories

It was fun sharing stories a while back - does anyone have more? Luckily I haven't had any experiences myself but I LOVE hearing about them. I think ghosts know I'm too chicken if they showed themselves to me, I'd pee on myself. LOL

*Dianne Rigdon*Jan Guest for Krystal Hartley*
Old 10-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

Ok I hate telling my stories because even when I tell them to DH he thinks I'm smoking crack.
I will tell this one though because honestly, it's the scariest, most horrible feeling I've ever had.
I was at MIL's house while DH was deployed. I used to go there a lot to just hang out with her, keep her company and her me (this was when we got along - LOL).
Anyway, MIL has always been a very spiritual person. She has a deep faith in God but also believes that there are spirits that still walk the earth and has had (or at least SAID she's had) numerous personal experiences including hearing voices, having pregnancy dreams (which usually are 95% accurate) and hearing the "death bell".
Anyhoo, I was there with her one day and my BIL who was about 16 at the time was sleeping in a back bedroom. We were in the kitchen chatting and she left the room abruptly. She was only gone for a few seconds and when she came back in the kitchen she immediately said, "That was wierd!"
I asked her what was wierd and she said that she heard my BIL's voice call her as if he needed her, not in distress or anything, just like going, "Mom!"
She said she peeked in the bedroom and he was sound asleep and there was no indication that he was stirring or had spoken anything.
She kinda looked disturbed by it and so we talked about it for a minute and the more we talked about it the wierder it seemed. I think she was disturbed by the fact that if it was something other than a living human that it had used her son's voice to get her attention, kwim?
Does that make sense? lol

So I thought I would go down the hall to his room and take a look for myself because I am a natural skeptic, even after having several personal experiences...I always think that there is a reasonable explaination for everything, even if I don't know what it is.
I started out of the kitchen and down the hallway to my BIL's room and the craziest thing happened.
I stopped mid-step and froze. It was as if there was darkness at the end of that hallway and I don't mean "void of light". I mean...it was as if there was an evil darkness standing at the end of that hallway waiting for me. And there was NOTHING there (there's a big mirror at the end of the hallway on the wall and there was nothing in the reflection either) but I could see it in my head through how I was feeling.
I know that makes NO sense whatsoever, but it was as if there was something evil and dark at the end of that hallway that was invisible but was projecting itself into my head to see it...argh, man I sound like a nut-job, huh?
In my head I could see that it was a black mass with a cloak and it was tall like a man, probably 6ft to 6ft 5in.
It was coming at me in the hallway and it made me feel so bad inside - almost like severe dread. I just felt so much fear and dread - it was horrible. Tears immediately came to my eyes and I ran out of the hallway back into the kitchen freaking out.
MIL asked me what happened and I told her and she started freaking out too.
(Gah I'm getting goosebumps talking about it).
Nothing ever happened the rest of that day but I never EVER went down that hallway again in that house alone.

Here's the kicker. A few decades before, a woman was murdered in the house directly behind where my MIL was living - and my FIL's side of the family lived in that house and had lived there since the murder. In fact, DH's family had to go in and clean up the old blood and repair damages from the murder incident (broken doorway, etc) before they could move in.
I don't know if the murder and FIL's family's connection to that house had something to do with the activity in my MIL's house but I always wondered.
That was probably the SCARIEST thing that has ever happened to me and absolutely the reason why I don't tell anyone my experiences.
Sounds crazy, but it happened.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I believe you Mandy! That's freaking scary as all get out!!

I have a much nicer ghost story. I had a friendly ghost who watched over me. When I was born my parents were living in an apt. in the Bronx. One room was my nursery and it had my crib and a rocking chair from my grandmother in it. Every night after she rocked me to sleep, my mom would push the rocking chair against the wall. There were MANY mornings where she would come in the next morning, and the rocking chair was pulled up to my crib and rocking. The ghost was watching over me as I slept.

There were also many times where the window in the room would be in the opposite position it was the night before (ie if my mom closed it, it was opened and vice cersa). The ghost watched over me and opened/closed the window if the room got too hot/cold.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never actually seen a ghost, but I've been witness to ghostly actions. I was macking with this one guy in college in his dorm room and they had a problem with a ghost there. He and his roommate had a bunch of sports team pennants up and one of them kept coming down, including while I was there - always the same team no matter where they put it and no matter how much adhesive they put on it. It was really freaky. And someone had killed himself in that room.
But then my college had a lot of ghost stories - one of the dorm buildings burned to the ground in 1949, with a number of men dying, and was rebuilt over the same site. Then again, some of the stories I heard from classmates that resided there came from those that were in the "hippie" social organization (known to "do" mushrooms and pot), so who knows. My college has been considered one of the most haunted places in the US.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

these are interesting. i love ghost stories. in fact, i'm watching "A Haunting" on the Discovery Channel right now, lol. and i'm a huge Ghost Hunters fan.

Mandy, that is terrifying! i had goosebumps just reading it. i believe you and don't think you're on crack, lol.
Col, that is a very sweet story. you were a very lucky baby i think!
Leslie, you always hear about haunted colleges and dorms. i think there was just so much life lived during college years, good and bad stuff, that things are bound to remain there. which college? just curious.

keep 'em coming!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Creeepy Mandy! Those evil ones are the scariest, you don't know what those spirits are up to. I totally believe in ghosts and that they're all around us but only make themselves felt/visible to certain people. One of them is my sister. She use to see things all the time. I remember back at home she was studying late at night at our breakfast bar at home. The bar was adjacent to the kitchen. There's a hallway next to the bar that leads to the kitchen. Well, she looked up at one point and saw someone walking down the hall into the kitchen. The kitchen and hall lights were off, only the lamp over the bar was on.

So she saw something similar to Mandy's, a dark figure that looked like a person walking. She thought it was someone who broke in but didn't see her, so she was gonna be "brave" and catch this person in the act. She walked to the kitchen, placed her finger on the light switch, and whala! Turned the lights on - but no one was there! She ran away from the kitchen, down the hall, into our parents bedroom so fast, all freaked out.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went to Kenyon College. You can read some of the ghost stories here: http://www.kenyonhistory.net/kcpedia/Kenyon_Ghosts
I actually lived in the dorm that has the one incident that was actually documented - the campus was closed and the building was locked when it happened and the security guards got called from 3 separate floors at the same time, so they disconnected the phones, and then they got calls from the same phone lines. When they went to investigate, they found the showers were running and there were wet footprints but no one around. Of course, the building that burned has the most stories about it, but none are documented incidents.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 10-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow Leslie...lots of history there, I'm kinda glad i didn't go to Kenyon! I'd be scared outta my pants!

I have 1 more to share, it's about my BIL. He was born the same day a family friend passed away. Members of the family literally visit BIL in the maternity ward in one hospital, then went to the VA to visit Ed, who was suffering from health problems. He went into cardiac arrest the day Jake was born. A few years passed, Jake was already a toddler. He was talking into a toy phone. My ILs asked him who he was talking to, and he says.....Ed Rice.

Now you might think kids hear things all the time, he probably heard his name while my ILs talked about him, etc. Ed dated my FIL's cousin, who was so torn up over his death that they never talked about him after he died. But somehow, little Jake knew who he was.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Leslie, OMG, I can't believe you went to Kenyon College!! Small world. I lived in Mt. Vernon until I was 13!! I looooved growing up there(on a horse farm).
Old 10-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OHHH keep them coming!! I love ghost stories!! I watch Ghost Hunters every week! lol
Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

whoa Leslie! those are awesome stories! i have major goosebumps!! thanks! lol

Eve, i adore Ghost Hunters too! they are so cool. i love how they keep an open mind, but don't immediately think everything is a ghost and they try to have other explanations for things.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to HeatherStokes Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherStokes

SCARY POST.......I like it!

My Blog * My Flickr * My Kaboodle
Nikon D40

Old 10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scarletsierra

Totally creeped myself out reading this, lol. I definitely believe there are spirits and that evil exists. But I've never had any personal experiences.

But I'm also one of those people, who when reading something like this or watching it on TV, lets my imagination get the better of me so end up completely wigging myself out. I watched The Exorcist once at night in bed while DH was TDY (don't ask me why, there's no sensible reason for it). ANYway...I got myself all freaked out that I couldn't even get out of bed to go to the bathroom, lol.

eta: DH and his family always claim there is a ghost in the house he grew up in and his Dad and grandma still live in. MIL used to talk about her experiences all the time...lights being turned on when she knew they had been off, weird happenings with electronics, seeing figures, etc. I always wig myself out there too when we visit.