Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default [insert christmas cheer here]

ladies, first of all...hi. i've been pretty lurkerish for a while now but i am trying to get back into my ssd cycle. i've missed you guys.

secondly, i cannot get into the christmas spirit. i keep trying to think of things to do but i am drawing a blank. what are some fun things you are doing with your families to liven up the holidays? i want to take the kids down to a shelter or something to serve in the kitchen or something...i just don't know what. then, i was also trying to think of a fun inexpensive craft to do but i just cannot come up with something fun.

any ideas you can shoot my way?

p.s. there are so many ssd noobs around here. hi to you, if we haven't met. i'm lizzy. i'm a problem, just keeping it real.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't seem to get in the mood either. I have no desire to listen to Christmas music. I think I am going to bag doing Christmas cards this year. I guess child #4 is kicking my butt this year. I can't seem to get my act together.

We like to drive around and look at Christmas lights. I really enjoy getting a group of people and going caroling to nursing homes. Picking a family to do Secret Santa is always fun. As a kid, we always picked a family and did the 12 days of Christmas by delivering a treat or gift every night. I don't know...I am not much help.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm, ideas ...

Pick up some new Christmas books or books about giving and read them as a family. Gift of the Magi comes immediately to mind.

Find a giving tree and have the kiddos shop for and wrap up the gift.

Be Christmas angels. Do RAK around the neighborhood and leave anonymous 'Merry Christmas' notes/goodies.

If there is a Children's hospital in your area, call and see if there is a way you and your kids can help. They get a ton of calls this time of year, so they may say 'not now', but they may have some sort of organized event or donation programs that needs volunteer.

Pull out albums and photos from previous Christmas's and spend some time sharing your favorite memories.

Before decorating your tree/house decorate each other. My kids had fun draping tinsel and beads all over each other and hanging ornaments from their ears. Granted my kids are 2 and 4 so this might not be a hit with the older ones

Hope you find your Christmas cheer Lizzy.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:27 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Ooooh, I know! I know! Christmas gifts to the local crisis pregnancy center. Dipes, baby food, formula, itty bitty outfits, etc.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I can't seem to get in the mood either...but I am going to help a friends from work sponsor a family for XMAS! her neighbor has 2 kids 7 and 9 and they just are having a hard time making ends meet so we are gonna pitch in and get the kids xmas gifts and give them food for xmas

I like the idea of going to help out at the local shelter or help house...

you would think after missing XMAS last year and spending it inthe desert I would be ready to be in the mood...but I just can't seem to get in it either
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to litabells

I'm struggling to get the cheer happening too. We plan on making christams cookies etc etc and gifting the neighbours...the non scary ones that is lol
We also go to a few local neighbourhoods that are really big on decorating. One in particualr accepts donations that go to local charities which I think is great.

But yeah, if I don't get my hohoho happenin soon, it could be a problem lol
Old 12-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I'm not really in the mood either, I'm usually done shopping by now, but I'm not. I'm usually done decorating by now, but I'm not. I didn't do my calendars until 2 days ago, so now they won't be here on time, and the list just goes on and on.

I think once we get the tree up that will help. We get a real tree but there haven't been any for sale around yet. It's been a long year, my family and I have had a lot of ups and downs (like a lot of families this year financially) it's hard to get into it this year.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Add me to the list of those with no christmas cheer this year.

I've been making crafts with the kids but I just got nothin'. I know your kids are older Lizzy but I thought these little reindeer turned out SO cute!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yes, you need to be here more. i've missed you!

we don't really do a lot for christmas. the kids helped with the tree, at some point we're going to make cookies. some for Chloe's class. if i liked my house i'd decorate outside, lol. i might help the kids make paper snowflakes and hang them around the house. they are excited about that. other than that, we're lame-o
Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit this year too. We've done crafts, watched movies, listened to Christmas music... I've done my cards and just have to mail them, and I'm done Christmas shopping for my kids. I just don't know what else I should do to get in the mood for the holiday!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Not a lot of Christmas cheer around my house, either, but I'm doing my best.

It's hard to do much with a stepson we only have one night a week and every other weekend and then a 4 mo who has no clue what's going on, but ideally, if DD was older and SS was with us more often, I'd do all of the following (some of which have already been mentioned):

(a) Living Nativity at a local church
(b) Walk Through Bethlehem at a local church
(c) Christmas caroling for church shut ins and/or nursing homes
(d) Christmas cookies with Grandma
(e) letter(s) to Santa/dropping off at Santa's mailbox
(f) visit Santa
(g) make 'reindeer food'
(h) setting up and decorating Christmas tree/stockings/decorations
(i) Advent calendar
(j) neighborhood RAKs (snow shoveling, dropping off cookies and small gifts, grocery store GC, etc.)
(k) Operation Christmas Child
(l) ornament for each child for tree
(m) read different Christmas book every night Dec 1-24 (on 24th, read Luke passage from Bible)

That's all I got for now! HTH, Fizz!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yes. you ladies are a life saver!! just reading these is getting me more in the christmas spirit! i am going to get organized and do many of these things with my kiddos!! TY LADIES!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There are lots of ideas in this thread about Advent Calendar activities, too.

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...ad.php?t=36297
Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i love all of those ideas!! TY!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have done some baking, visited some christmas fairs, been to a christmas concert, made homemade christmas presents (painted canvases for grandparents). We are planning to put the lights up this weekend (yeah, we're a bit behind), and we are going to my parents for a pre-christmas christmas dinner on Sunday as we're not spending christmas with them this year. We are also planning to do more baking, and make more presents.