Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I fell asleep long before Obama's speech last night but I watched McCain's announcement this afternoon and Im thinking the only reason he asked her to be VP is the fact she is a woman and he is looking for the female vote and trying to get Hilary supporters to vote for him. As for Obama well Ive never liked him. I do not believe him/anything he says. He just keeps touting the same crap and doesn't have any real plans.

I do not think McCain is to old but then alot of people in my family have lived into their 90's. He has said some things I didnt like but for the most part he is better then the alternative I think.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well, one thing that hocks me off about McCain is that he is all for storing toxic waste in MY state almost 100 miles away from where I live. He's all for it BUT he is unwilling to let it be TRANSPORTED through Arizona. That says a lot about him. That is one issue that I do NOT like where McCain is concerned.

As for Obama, don't get me started on him.

As for my vote, I will be writing in a name on the ballot because I can't in good conscience vote for either candidate BUT I can't NOT vote either.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I totally agree with Dawn. I'll be honest and say that these conversations on the scrapbooking forums tend to just frustrate me because I think our community is general is much more conservative than the population as a whole. I found it really appalling that in the thread over at DST that someone actually compared Obama to Hilter and another said they wouldn't vote for him because his name is too close to Osama. Say what? Although to be fair, nothing appalled me more than people actually saying they'd vote for Bush for a third term if they could.

As a military wife, the war is a huge issue for me. My life will be personally affected by whatever our next president chooses to do. It frustrates me to no end that people keep arguing for continuing the war so those who died would not have died in vain. What about those of us who are still here fighting? What about the families and soldiers who are going through their 3rd, 4th, 5th deployment? Can you really imagine being away from your children for half their life? For multiple Christmases, birthdays, etc in a row? That's the reality that is facing our men and women in uniform today and yet people seem to want to overlook that in favor of death tolls and monetary costs. I for one am looking for a president who is willing to present an actual plan for the war so for that reason my vote will go to Obama.

As for McCain's choice for a running mate, I can't help but be slightly offended by his choice. I have no doubt he chose her BECAUSE she is a women in hope that he'll gain Hillary supporters. But as a Hillary fan, I didn't just like her because she was a woman, I liked her because of who she was and what she stood for. I just really hope he doesn't think that one woman is just as good as another.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I totally agree with Dawn. I'll be honest and say that these conversations on the scrapbooking forums tend to just frustrate me because I think our community is general is much more conservative than the population as a whole. I found it really appalling that in the thread over at DST that someone actually compared Obama to Hilter and another said they wouldn't vote for him because his name is too close to Osama. Say what? Although to be fair, nothing appalled me more than people actually saying they'd vote for Bush for a third term if they could.

As a military wife, the war is a huge issue for me. My life will be personally affected by whatever our next president chooses to do. It frustrates me to no end that people keep arguing for continuing the war so those who died would not have died in vain. What about those of us who are still here fighting? What about the families and soldiers who are going through their 3rd, 4th, 5th deployment? Can you really imagine being away from your children for half their life? For multiple Christmases, birthdays, etc in a row? That's the reality that is facing our men and women in uniform today and yet people seem to want to overlook that in favor of death tolls and monetary costs. I for one am looking for a president who is willing to present an actual plan for the war so for that reason my vote will go to Obama.

As for McCain's choice for a running mate, I can't help but be slightly offended by his choice. I have no doubt he chose her BECAUSE she is a women in hope that he'll gain Hillary supporters. But as a Hillary fan, I didn't just like her because she was a woman, I liked her because of who she was and what she stood for. I just really hope he doesn't think that one woman is just as good as another.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:21 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

awesome post Lynnette thank you
Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
I hope I can voice my opinion without y'all hating me lol

I do not like Obama..he can "speak" well, but I do not trust him at all. Honestly I can't even stomach watching him and usually have to turn it off. I 'm sick of the media making it out like he's already won this election.

I am THRILLED with McCain's choice...VERY smart choice!!

I agree with you.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Stokes View Post
You are dead on La!

He can deliver a very good SPEECH (and that's all it is, blah, blah, blah, blah) but I do not like Obama at all... And, I really don't care all that much for McCain. However, he will get my vote. A do-over would be nice....

" Did you hear about McCain's running mate? A 44 year old woman - the governor of Alaska! Crazy stuff."

Why is that so crazy? Hilary was running. At least this woman has more experience in politics that Obama does....
It's not crazy at all that she's a woman and I didn't say that!!!! I am a total fan of Hillary Clinton. What's crazy is that this totally came out of left field, and I think it's very much a tactical move on his part. He's trying to get Hillary's supporters, which you can't blame him. He's also trying to silence the "he's too old" comments too. Obama is doing the same on his side with his Veep choice.

I probably should have been more specific about my 'crazy' comment. I am 100% in favor of having a woman president, or a woman VP. It's just that his choice was completely unexpected.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Right there with ya girl!!! I did not even know he picked someone until my DH called and told me and I think it is a very smart choice as well. She is very experienced and he will prolly get more votes now!!!!! I don't think he did it for that reson though...he had talked about her a lot when he decided to run anyway!!!

Quote:

I do not like Obama..he can "speak" well, but I do not trust him at all. Honestly I can't even stomach watching him and usually have to turn it off. I 'm sick of the media making it out like he's already won this election.

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT

Last edited by my4boys; 08-29-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

My opinion as an outsider looking in, but with some knowledge about what is going on, I have to say it when McCain announced his VP, it was obvious to me that he ONLY chose her because she is a woman, and could potentially garner him some of the Hillary vote.

I won't say anything else, since it doesn't "really" affect me, but that was my VERY first thought when I saw this on CNN this morning.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yes one of the reasons for choosing Palin was obviously b/c she's a woman but I just feel..."so what" ya know...we've all learned that Obama will flip and flop and do just about anything to get votes. The difference here for me is that she's not just a woman she's a very smart choice and it gives those hilary supporters who still aren't crazy about obama a choice that they may not have had before kwim?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

I don't believe the the only reason he picked Palin is because she's a woman. After reading about her this morning (and never hearing of her before) it appears that she has a lot of the same views as McCain does.

But, I do think that McCain made a very WISE decision to nominate her. I think it will help him get more of the female vote as well as some of the Hilary supporters. There seems to be a lot of Hilary supporters out there that really wanted her to be on the ballot and have publicly stated that they will not support Obama even though Hilary has asked her followers to do just that. I have a feeling that this will lead to more McCain votes as well.

Rochelle - I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make it sound like that. Yes, you are right, it was a big surprise to everyone.

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 08-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yes one of the reasons for choosing Palin was obviously b/c she's a woman but I just feel..."so what" ya know...we've all learned that Obama will flip and flop and do just about anything to get votes. The difference here for me is that she's not just a woman she's a very smart choice and it gives those hilary supporters who still aren't crazy about obama a choice that they may not have had before kwim?

You once again have taken the words right out of my mouth.....perfect!!!!!

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT
Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I am not even American and your post made me clap! lol
Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Lynette, loved your post.

Not singling anyone out but I've seen a couple of you say that Obama hasn't said how he wants to change anything or what he will do.. if you'll go back a few pages, Ashleigh posted a link where he does exactly that....... He has done what people think he hasn't. I don't think he'll be able to accomplish everything he wants to do because Congress will stop him, but I do like his military plan, and a lot of the other things he has in there.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scarletsierra

And now for your daily perspective from a military spouse middle of the roader....

I do think Palin's very inexperienced on the national and international stage. But she does have some gov't administration experience. So she's not completely fresh, I guess. I suppose I have high standards for experience, lol. I still maintain that Obama is rather inexperienced as well. I'm frustrated by his lack of votes both in the state senate and in Washington and how little time he spent as senator before gearing up for his campaign.

eta: Lincoln was also "inexperienced". He is my all time favorite president. Obama is no Lincoln (no offense). And it was a very different time then. He had solid positions that he expertly debated and were more widely known, and he was not at all a quintessential politician, which sad to say is the vibe I get from Obama many times.

And I'm also leery of some of Obama's associations over time (there are some VERY progressive figures in the mix, maybe "radicals" is a more appropriate term and then there is Rezko). Then again, to be fair, there's probably not a single politician who hasn't had some shady or misguided associations in their history.

Obama's strong points to me are his ideas and his natural leadership qualities. He is charismatic so maybe he is truly capable of inspiring change--because he's right it needs to happen everywhere on every level. So my hope is if he's elected, all these people who are so enthusiastic about him actually pick up the mantle and act instead of expecting him to magically hand them everything he promises.

On the other hand...I'm really craving some practicality in Washington. Badly. Idealism is fabulous, I'm all about it myself, but I need some ideas in action. And I'm over partisanship. I think it's destructive to our country. I hope to decide over the next couple months who for certain will best bridge the gap between red and blue and who can implement useful policies.

I'm not sold on the McCain = more of the same. His biggest similarity would be in his foreign policy, but I think he won't be as easily swayed by the hardline positions of any advisers, I think he looks at the big picture and I do think he thinks about he military service members and their families far more than Bush ever has. I don't think he would have so hastily gotten us into the war. Now that we're in it and that's our reality he has been a proponent of a strategy that should have been used from word one, he's been anti torture, and he's still fought for the needs of servicememebers and veterans. And believe me as someone who has seen friends buried and carried the burden of grief with my DH and our friends, who has everything to lose in an ongoing conflict, this issue is very important to me.

Also, to be fair, the reality of things in Iraq has changed. I think no matter who is elected we will be seeing troop reductions. I honestly think both candidates want that. I think one has more experience about what's realistic, but I do believe both will work toward that goal.

He's certainly a more middle of the road conservative in my mind than Bush in most every other way. Climate change, spending (this is huge), reaching across the aisle, etc. Will he be a *drastic* change? No. I can't pretend that. But do buy into the fear of "4 more years of the same"? No. Then again I'm not driven by seething hatred for Bush like many are (I'm not a fan, but not anti-Bush).

I'm really glad Obama got more specific last night. It was more than soaring rhetoric. He truly hasn't been terribly good about that anywhere that is seen by the majority of people. So that was important. And I love how deeply he believes in the positives of our country. I have to admit I feel sometimes that the uber liberal emphasis on how horrible things are is overdone and makes me want to kill myself, lmao. That's dramatic of course, and honestly I know things are hard and difficult for so many and I sincerely believe we have some broken systems that need fixing, but I don't think our nation is in the pooper as sometimes it seems painted by the far left. So I like how he didn't focus on that last night.

What I most hope for is that people do their research. Get engaged and involved, don't just consume mainstream media, and know what both candidates are about. Then make an informed decision.

*end of crazy long spiel that didn't really say anything at all, when I should be doing other things*

Last edited by scarletsierra; 08-29-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

OMGoodness...Sara. BEAUTIFULLY stated. most importantly get informed and don't get all your information from mainstream media! i love that...lets all promise to do that before submitting our ballot this fall!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:34 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletsierra
What I most hope for is that people do their research. Get engaged and involved, don't just consume mainstream media, and know what both candidates are about. Then make an informed decision.
yes yes and YES That is my main "issue" with many people I've spoken to individually/irl/whatever atm. Do your research and make your own decisions-- I will back you 100% even if it's a completely different opinion than mine. Your post was very thorough and well thought out, and I appreciate it
Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Amen, girl.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You said it perfectly Sara!!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletsierra View Post
Amen, sista.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sara you are such an amazing writer and really your posts are so thoughtful and thought provoking! I appreciate you so much! Thank you for that!

Lynette, you totally gave me goosebumps and put me in tears, I can not say how much my heart goes out to your family. I can NOT imagine. Big huge hugs girly. Seriously your post touched me more then I can even say!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Founder

profile gallery send pm

I hate politics..never voted, never want to..that being said though, I choked up a million times during Obama's speech last night. I watched because my husband watched and he supports Obama's decisions. I think he's a real guy with real hopes and dreams..nothing wrong with hopes and dreams by any means. I think his age has nothing to do with it just like McCain's age has nothing to do with it. Age means jack to me.

What makes me sway one way more than the other though is the people you keep. I think GDUB is a dumbass..sorry GDUB fans, but yeah. Clinton may have been a womanizer, but our economy was a hell of a lot better during those times than they have been over the past 8 years. Sorry, that just makes me want change even more.

Also, all this hoonanny BS about Obama being the first AA president annoys me. First, who cares what color someone's skin is if they are willing to lay their life on the line and fight for what will improve our way of life? Second, Obama's mother was whiter than I am and I am see through. If there are people out there planning to vote against him because he is AA, think again. He has just as much right to be our president as anyone else.

Lastly..nobody pay attention to this post. I'm always going to go to the extremes when I feel passionately about something and well..you know that, right? This is more of a general public comment and not in response to anything I have read here.

Thank you..thank you..I accept your nomination!

My siggy needs a re-vamp!

Old 08-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well said Sara. It's nice to see another military wife that isn't ultra-conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletsierra View Post
I do think he thinks about the military service members and their families far more than Bush ever has.
I just have to say that I totally agree with this. I actually think that either candidate will be a huge improvement over our current president. I know the Democrats keep saying that we don't want 4 more years of the last 8 years but in reality I think no matter who is elected we will see change. I actually like McCain and I think if elected he would do a good job. His political leanings just lean too far away from my more liberal beliefs for me to justify voting for him.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments about my post. I usually try to stay out of these things because as a liberal from California I tend to feel rather outnumbered in the scrapbooking community. But I feel it's important to get all viewpoints out there so that people can make a more informed choice. If we only listen to one side or the other, we're only getting half the real story and especially in this election it's important for all of us to be informed when we cast our votes.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via ICQ to Angela Spangler Send a message via AIM to Angela Spangler Send a message via MSN to Angela Spangler Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Spangler

Months ago I would have said I was voting for McCain, hands down. I'm not so sure anymore. Change would definitely be nice, if it actually happens. I can live with either candidate taking office. We'll see how things go the next couple months, and I'll make my decision then.

His speech freaking rocked, though.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2aria06

Quote:

I'm not sure how it can be a smart choice when she has even less experience than Obama. Republicans are even questioning if she is really ready to be president if something happens to McCain. To be honest the thought of more of the Republican regieme makes me sick and makes me lose sleep at night. As a single mother that goes to school I really don't think that McCain or Paulin really understands what we as average citizens need.

Last edited by mommy2aria06; 08-29-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm not sure how it can be a smart choice when she has even less experience than Obama. Republicans are even questioning if she is really ready to be president if something happens to McCain. To be honest the thought of more of the Republican regieme makes me sick and makes me lose sleep at night. As a single mother that goes to school I really don't think that McCain or Paulin really understands what we as average citizens need.
I feel as a governor making executive decisions she has more experience than obama..she also has experience running a state's national guard...Obama's exeperince (and record) in the senate to me just doesn't cut it. Also just from what I've read/heard about Palin today, she's done a very good job so far as Alaska's governor.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't disagree about the experience you get as Governor. However, Obama has a lot of experience even outside government and was in the state senate before becoming a US Senator. Therefore, I see him as a better leader but the real issue to me is if she is ready to be president if something happens to McCain. She is fine as a VP pick if that is all she does but I just don't see her as a good President. However, we obviously have vastly different opinions and thats fine
Old 08-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaBean View Post
Also, all this hoonanny BS about Obama being the first AA president annoys me. First, who cares what color someone's skin is if they are willing to lay their life on the line and fight for what will improve our way of life? Second, Obama's mother was whiter than I am and I am see through. If there are people out there planning to vote against him because he is AA, think again. He has just as much right to be our president as anyone else.
I totally disagree that his skin color doesn't matter. No matter how white his mother is, his black skin changes the way he experiences the world because the reality is that racism is alive and well in America. He's not your typical AA, that's for sure, but his skin IS black, and while that won't keep me from voting for him, it will keep a lot of folks from doing so. A black man has never been in this position, and that makes it historic, and it says good things about the direction in which our country is moving.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I totally disagree that his skin color doesn't matter. No matter how white his mother is, his black skin changes the way he experiences the world because the reality is that racism is alive and well in America. He's not your typical AA, that's for sure, but his skin IS black, and while that won't keep me from voting for him, it will keep a lot of folks from doing so. A black man has never been in this position, and that makes it historic, and it says good things about the direction in which our country is moving.
I definitely agree that people will not vote for him because of skin color- and that is very sad! I am white and my daughter is biracial (her father is black) and I am so glad she will have someone like him to look up to. I'm very happy that he can be a role model to kids like her!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:22 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2aria06 View Post
I definitely agree that people will not vote for him because of skin color- and that is very sad! I am white and my daughter is biracial (her father is black) and I am so glad she will have someone like him to look up to. I'm very happy that he can be a role model to kids like her!
I agree with it from this pov. I don't think he got where he is BECAUSE he is black, but I know there is still a large % of americans who will not vote for him because of his skin colour. We are making great strides in regards to racism, but we're not *there* yet, and I don't know if we ever will be. I've had ce watch some of his speeches (Well not the whole thing LOL, just little bits)- I too think it's GREAT to have such a positive role model for my kiddo, who is also biracial.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Obama's speech moved me to tears, as did Bill Clinton's the night before. If you haven't checked out Penny's Workin' it Wednesday post on the SSD Blog, then you should. It explains how I truly feel.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2aria06 View Post
I think McCain's VP choice is a terrible choice for women! What frightens me the most about it is the possible Supreme Court justices they could appoint and how those choices could effect women's reproductive rights as a whole.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ok I was going to post, then not going to post, and I have been so back and forth on this, so here I am posting anyway... So here goes:

I do agree that there will be a certain amount of people who will most likely not vote for Obama based on his race. I agree that is very sad, and this country should be better than that. But I am playing Devils Advocate here and wonder on the flip side, how many will vote for Obama solely because he is AA?! Is really saddens me that everything has to be based on someones race or gender. I don't think it should matter if they are AA, Hispanic, from Mars (well technically they couldn't run then lol) or if they are a man or a woman, all that should be taken in account it where they stand. And do they represent your views?!

Anyhoo, I am done... LOL!!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The fact that Obama is black means jack to me. If he were a person I could stand behind, then I'd vote for him white, black, red, green or purple. To me, skin color is just an unimportant variable right up there with age.

As for Paulin, I think she'll make a great VP and president IF something happens. She at least has executive experience with her being a governor.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBoo View Post
Ok I was going to post, then not going to post, and I have been so back and forth on this, so here I am posting anyway... So here goes:

I do agree that there will be a certain amount of people who will most likely not vote for Obama based on his race. I agree that is very sad, and this country should be better than that. But I am playing Devils Advocate here and wonder on the flip side, how many will vote for Obama solely because he is AA?! Is really saddens me that everything has to be based on someones race or gender. I don't think it should matter if they are AA, Hispanic, from Mars (well technically they couldn't run then lol) or if they are a man or a woman, all that should be taken in account it where they stand. And do they represent your views?!

Anyhoo, I am done... LOL!!
I agree Becca, I'm glad you posted

It's not right to not vote for him because he's AA, but it's also not right TO vote for him just because he is. And I would've said the same if Hillary got the nod.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Founder

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I never said his skin color doesn't matter..I said "who cares". Meaning, if someone is so shallow minded that they will vote for or against someone because they are black, white, red, purple or green..they are silly in my book. His skin IS black, but for those people who look at him and judge him because he is "different than they are", they should look a bit closer and see that he's not. There is NO excuse for racism and that's my point.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I never said his skin color doesn't matter..I said "who cares". Meaning, if someone is so shallow minded that they will vote for or against someone because they are black, white, red, purple or green..they are silly in my book. His skin IS black, but for those people who look at him and judge him because he is "different than they are", they should look a bit closer and see that he's not. There is NO excuse for racism and that's my point.
There is no excuse You are right.. and I agree Becca- don't vote for him because he is black either. That's just as ridiculous lol.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappychic

Quote:

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments about my post. I usually try to stay out of these things because as a liberal from California I tend to feel rather outnumbered in the scrapbooking community. But I feel it's important to get all viewpoints out there so that people can make a more informed choice.
I'm with ya girl - I'm liberal with a big huge L!!! What do you expect from someone raised in san francisco

Anyway, I'll be back here....getting ready to leave work.

*Dianne Rigdon*Jan Guest for Krystal Hartley*
Old 08-29-2008, 07:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Very well put!!! and seriously it would be the most repulsive thing ever to have Bush for another term.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
For me the bottom line in THIS day and age is our country's safety...who do I TRUST to answer that call if our country and it's people are threatened...for me that choice is painfully obvious and I only wish that were so for the rest of this country. But again I look at things from a military mindset...unfortunately most Americans (not all and I'm certainly not accusing any of your sugarbabes here lol) don't see things this way. They take for granted the security and protection that our military provides them. Our military deserves a strong experienced Commander in Chief. Okay..off my soap box now
RIGHT ON, I completely agree with everything you've posted!!!

Let's think of our safety here...People hate Bush and I don't agree with everything that he says or does, but I have to say that we haven't been attacked in the past 4 yrs and if Obama takes all these 'weapons' off the table and decreases funds to our military...what kinda message are we sending the world?? HEY! LOOK AT US...WE ARE WEAK...TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT! I hate that there is evil in the world, but there is..so we have to be prepared to protect our country and it's citizens. My other BIG issue with OBAMA is he is pro-choice and I know everyone (especially women) have their own opinion about this....but I just can't see how killing innocent babies is ok...late term abortion...eek! People wouldn't let other people treat their dogs that way, much less a human...yet we let it happen everyday! SAVE THE WHALES, but not the HUMAN BABIES? (By the way, I am an animal lover and I love nature,etc... but let's protect the innocent children at least as much as we do animals!!) And don't get me wrong, I'm all for birth control and PREVENTING pregnancy, but people need to be responsible for their actions...that's another big problem with our world...no one has to be responsible for their actions anymore...they always point the finger at someone else. Even Obama said "But if they (his daughters) make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby." Ummm..hello!?!?! That just kills me! Anyone who's ever been pregnant feels that baby move and kick....it's a human life! Life begins at conception when the cells start splitting and growing. PERIOD! I don't know that I would have chosen Sarah Palin for the VP, but since he did, I am excited about what she stands for and what's she's done. What a first-hand example of 'walking the talk'...this successful woman who already had four children chose to keep her fifth child knowing that he had down-syndrome.

Everyone says what a wonderful speaker Obama is, etc....sure he is a smooth talker, when he is reading from a teleprompter, but if not he dances around the question and stammers and studders. He doesn't seem to have firm convictions about anything except being pro-choice. The church he belonged to for 20 years is scary and so is the preacher who seems to hate America!! WTH?

McCain wasn't my first choice, but Obama would be my last. At least McCain has served his country, loves his country and has the experience (military and LOTS more life experience) to do the job. If any of you watched the Saddleback Forum, you couldn't help but notice that everytime McCain was asked a question, he gave a prompt, and sincere answer from his heart, conviction and experience. Obama more times than most really didn't answer the question. Obama promises change, but my thoughts are always...what will the change be?? He might deliver on that change, but would it be the positive change that everyone is expecting?

Either way, history will be made, and that's exciting. I just hope everyone will actually research and know what their candidate stands for before just making a swayed or blind vote. God help us all!

I know I'll probably be totally slaughtered for this post ...and I'm not meaning to offend anyone...I just wish we didn't live in a world with such horrific evil and problems...but we do...so I guess all we can do is know what we stand for and STAND FOR IT!

OK, be gentle...it's late here and my little boys keep interrupting my train of thought..imagine that! So I'm sure there are many errors in this post and I'm not an excellent writer, but I just couldn't be silent anymore.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Please don't take offense to this (not at all my intention, I promise), because I'm only offering another perspective, but IMHO abortion laws really don't have much to do with being president (it's a very small aspect in the grand scheme of things). Is a president's position on this going to make your life better or worse? Probably not. I think too much importance is placed on this when it comes to elections, as is the person's religious values. I've never had an abortion, nor would I ever, but I don't pass judgment on those that have, as I don't know their circumstances. I guarantee every one of us knows someone that has had one (even if we're not aware of it). I am more concerned about healthcare, the economy, social security, etc ... things that will have a direct impact on my life and those around me. Seeing the oil industry get gains .... not so exciting for me, lol.

Having miltary experience is good, however, I also don't think it qualifies nor disqualifies someone from being a good leader. Perhaps I oversimplify things, but I don't understand how someone would support putting our troops in the position they are in now. *shrugs* I don't think any leader of this country would every allow us to be attacked and I can't say with any confidence that the current administration has done anything to prevent casualties ... they just aren't on our soil. I get so depressed hearing about all of the young soldiers that are killed or the people that have been sent there over and over. I really have no idea why we are still in Iraq (maybe I'm just naive).

I certainly like McCain better than Bush, but I am an Obama supporter. I'm ready for some real change.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

I've tried for a while to think of something non-inflammatory to say on this topic here at SSD. It's so hard not to go point by point and argue this issues because politics is something I love to talk about and get all fired up fighting over HAAAHAAA. I like all of you so much. And even though I think some of your politics are wack, I bet you think the same of me and that's OK. Seriously. Uh.....what I came up with is pretty lame but here goes. At least we live where we can freely discuss this and have opinions without getting our heads chopped off. There, that's my politically correct statement of the month. It might just make my eyeballs pop out if I have to think of another one before November 4th
And guys, I wonder if the designers are all somewhere on a private board like, hey this is the McCain designer camp and this is the Obama designer camp and we shall discuss amongst ourselves LOL. I bet it's hard for them to not say too much because this is their job and they probably don't wanna get too involved, does that make sense?
I'm with Paula and the others. I really could care less what color someone is. Doesn't matter if they're purple or gold or polk a dotted what I care about is their track record. Skin means nothing and it's very sad to think that it actually would matter to some people. Oh, and so far, I am lovin' Sarah Pahlin. It might make me check that vote for McCain with a little bit less shakiness.

facebook

Last edited by AmyM; 08-30-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Amen to being able to keep our heads! ... and you totally have me laughing about the designer camps
Old 08-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

we're totally warring behind the scenes, soon some of our post will be all in red and some all in blue...just watch!!

*giggle*
Old 08-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2boys View Post

Let's think of our safety here...People hate Bush and I don't agree with everything that he says or does, but I have to say that we haven't been attacked in the past 4 yrs and if Obama takes all these 'weapons' off the table and decreases funds to our military...what kinda message are we sending the world?? HEY! LOOK AT US...WE ARE WEAK...TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT! I hate that there is evil in the world, but there is..so we have to be prepared to protect our country and it's citizens. My other BIG issue with OBAMA is he is pro-choice and I know everyone (especially women) have their own opinion about this....but I just can't see how killing innocent babies is ok...late term abortion...eek! People wouldn't let other people treat their dogs that way, much less a human...yet we let it happen everyday! SAVE THE WHALES, but not the HUMAN BABIES? (By the way, I am an animal lover and I love nature,etc... but let's protect the innocent children at least as much as we do animals!!) And don't get me wrong, I'm all for birth control and PREVENTING pregnancy, but people need to be responsible for their actions...that's another big problem with our world...no one has to be responsible for their actions anymore...they always point the finger at someone else. Even Obama said "But if they (his daughters) make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby." Ummm..hello!?!?! That just kills me! Anyone who's ever been pregnant feels that baby move and kick....it's a human life! Life begins at conception when the cells start splitting and growing. PERIOD! I don't know that I would have chosen Sarah Palin for the VP, but since he did, I am excited about what she stands for and what's she's done. What a first-hand example of 'walking the talk'...this successful woman who already had four children chose to keep her fifth child knowing that he had down-syndrome.

Everyone says what a wonderful speaker Obama is, etc....sure he is a smooth talker, when he is reading from a teleprompter, but if not he dances around the question and stammers and studders. He doesn't seem to have firm convictions about anything except being pro-choice. The church he belonged to for 20 years is scary and so is the preacher who seems to hate America!! WTH?

McCain wasn't my first choice, but Obama would be my last. At least McCain has served his country, loves his country and has the experience (military and LOTS more life experience) to do the job. If any of you watched the Saddleback Forum, you couldn't help but notice that everytime McCain was asked a question, he gave a prompt, and sincere answer from his heart, conviction and experience. Obama more times than most really didn't answer the question. Obama promises change, but my thoughts are always...what will the change be?? He might deliver on that change, but would it be the positive change that everyone is expecting?

Either way, history will be made, and that's exciting. I just hope everyone will actually research and know what their candidate stands for before just making a swayed or blind vote. God help us all!

I know I'll probably be totally slaughtered for this post ...and I'm not meaning to offend anyone...I just wish we didn't live in a world with such horrific evil and problems...but we do...so I guess all we can do is know what we stand for and STAND FOR IT!

OK, be gentle...it's late here and my little boys keep interrupting my train of thought..imagine that! So I'm sure there are many errors in this post and I'm not an excellent writer, but I just couldn't be silent anymore.
I agree with everything you said! lol

Old 08-30-2008, 01:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
we're totally warring behind the scenes, soon some of our post will be all in red and some all in blue...just watch!!

*giggle*

LMAO!!! That is hilarious!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well said Sheri. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2boys View Post

What "weapons" are you referring to exactly? I don't really think you can credit Bush for our not being attacked. The Republican party has been using fear tactics for a long time to convince people that they are the only ones that can keep us safe and it's simply not true. If anything the war has put such a strain on our military that if something were to happen at home, we could potentially be in trouble. I think it's time we start focusing on our own problems at home and quit worrying about being the world police. Everyone in the world is not our enemy.

As for the abortion issue, I don't really understand how you can take an issue as complicated as abortion and whittle it down to calling someone a "baby killer." It's just not that simple. There are so many other issues that are all lumped into this same category that just because someone is pro-choice, doesn't necessarily mean they are pro-abortion. Personally, the thought of Roe vs Wade being overturned frightens me because I think it will likely lead to a downward spiral that will affect my rights as a woman. I'm simply not willing to risk that by voting for someone who would allow that to happen.

Honestly, I think it's a shame that all of the issues have been simplified to the point where everything is either for or against, pro or anti. None of these issues are that simple and we're doing ourselves a disservice by viewing them that way. The world isn't all black and white and neither are any of the issues facing us today.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Sweet Shoppe Founder

profile gallery send pm

Lynnette..*hugs*

Basically..one thing we DO agree on is that we love digital scrapbooking..don't we? Let's talk about that!!

Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Lynnette..*hugs*

Basically..one thing we DO agree on is that we love digital scrapbooking..don't we? Let's talk about that!!
hehe, fair enough. I did just post in the shadowing thread.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:40 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Lol, Traci! How's this?

I really think it comes down to empathy. That's why we can have differing opinions here with out resorting to name calling. We understand that everyone of us want what is the best for our families and for our country that we love so much. We just disagree on the specifics.

I always try to understand where a person is coming from when considering their opinions. And I ask for the same in return. A person's political views are the result of a complex set of circumstances, both good and bad. And it is so deeply personal. I think that is why it is so difficult to discuss politics or religion. I think everyone has done well

ITA, Lynnette. All of the issues are so complex. I don't know that I could eloquently and completely express my opinions with out writing a Thesis on the matter. And since I don't have to, I'm not going to.

That said, I do want to note that the reason I believe a candidate's stance on Women's Issues are so important this election is that the next President may very well be appointing 3 or 4 Supreme Court Justices. Roe V Wade was a decision protecting a person's constitutional right to PRIVACY. If that is overturned, it affects every single one of us.

I will leave you all with a little comic relief regarding McCain's VP pic - Samantha Bee really sums up how I feel - HA! (please watch with out kiddos in the room )