Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappychic
Default FYI - just passing this along (long)

In case you have GC to these stores, use them soon:

> Eddie Bauer to close more stores
> Eddie Bauer has already closed 27 shops in the fir st quarter and plans to close up to two more outlet stores by the end of the year.
>
> Cache closing stores
> Women's retailer Cache announced that it is closing 20 to 23 stores this year.
>
> Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, Catherines closing 150 stores nationwide The owner of retailers Lane Bryant , Fashion Bug , Catherines Plus Sizes will close about 150 underperforming stores this year.
> The company hasn't provided a list of specific store closures and can't say when it will offer that info, spokeswoman Brooke Perry said today.
>
> Talbots, J. Jill closing stores
> About a month ago, Talbots announced that it will be shuttering all 78 of its kids and men's store s. Now the company says it will close another 22 underperforming stores.. The 22 stores will be a mix of Talbots women's and J. Jill , another chain it owns. The closures will occur this fiscal year, according to a company press release.
>
> Gap Inc. closing 85 stores
> In addition to its namesake chain, Gap also owns Old Navy and Banana Republic . The company said the closures - all planned for fiscal 2008 - will be weighted toward the Gap brand.
>
> Foot Locker to close 140 stores
> In the company press release and during its conference call with analysts today, it did not specify where the future store closures - all planned in fiscal 2008 - will be. The company could not be immediately reached for comment
>
> Wickes is going out of business
> Wickes Furniture is going out of business and closing all of its stores, Wickes, a 37-year-old retailer that targets middle-income customers, filed for bankruptcy protection last month.
>
> Goodbye Levitz / BOMBAY - closed already
> The furniture retailer, which is going out of business. Levitz first announced it was going out of business and closing all 76 of its stores in December. The retailer dates back to 1910 when Richard Levitz opened his first furniture store in Lebanon , PA. In the 1960s, the warehouse/showroom concept brought Levitz to the forefr ont of the furniture industry. The local Levitz closures will follow the shutdown of Bombay .
>
> Zales, Piercing Pagoda closing stores
> The owner of Zales and Piercing Pagoda previously said it plans to close 82 stores by July 31. Today, it announced that it is closing another 23 underperforming stores. The company said it's n ot pro viding a list of specific store closures. Of the 105 locations planned for closure, 50 are kiosks and 55 are stores.
>
> Disney Store owner has the right to close 98 stores The Walt Disney Company announced it acquired about 220 Disney Stores from subsidiaries of The Children's Place Retail Stores. The exact number of stores acquired will depend on negotiations with landlords. Those subsidiaries of Children's Place filed for bankruptcy protection in late March. Walt Disney in the news release said it has also obtained the
> right to close about 98 Disney Stores in the U.S. The press release didn't list those stores.
>
> Home Depot store closings (E. Brunswick, Rt 18 just put up their closing sign)
> ATLANTA - Nearly 7+ months after its chief executive said there were no plans to cut the number of its core retail stores, The Home Depot Inc. announced Thursday that it is shuttering 15 of them amid a slumping U.S. economy and housing market . The move will affect 1,300 employees. It is the first time the world's largest home improvement store chain has ever closed a flagship store for performance reasons. Its shares rose almost 5 percent. The Atlanta-based company said the underperforming U.S.stores being closed represent les! s than 1 percent of its existing stores. They will be shuttered within the next two months.
>
>
> CompUSA (CLOSED) clarifies details on store closings Any extended warranties purchased for products through CompUSA will be honored by a third-party provider, Assurant Solutions. Gift cards, rain checks, and rebates purchased prior to Dec ember 12 can be redeemed at any time during the final sale. For those who have a gadget currently in for service with CompUSA, the repair will be completed and the gadget will be returned to owners.
> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9834177-7html <https://mclmail.saic.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9834177-7html>
> <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9834177-7.html <https://mclmail.saic.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9834177-7.html> >
>
> Macy's - 9 stores
>
> Movie Gallery - 160 stores as part of reorganization plan to exit
> bankruptcyThe video rental company plans to close 400 of 3,500 Movie Gallery
> and Hollywood Video stores in addition to the 520 locations the video rental
> chain closed last fall.
>
> Pacific Sunwear - 153 Demo stores
>
> Pep Boys - 33 stores
>
> Sprint Nextel - 125 retail locations New Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse appears to have inherited a company bleeding subscribers by the thousands, and will now officially be dropping the ax on
> 4,000 employees and 125 retail locations. Amid the loss of 639,000 postpaid customers in the fourth quarter, Sprint will be cutting a tot al of 6.7% of its work force (following the 5,000 layoffs last year) and 8% of company-owned brick-and-mortar stores, while remaining mute on other rumors that it will consolidate its headquarters in Kansas . Sprint Nextel shares are down $2.89, or nearly 25%, at the time of this writing.
>
> J. C. Penney, Lowe's and Office Depot are scaling back
>
> Ethan Allen Interiors: The company announced plans to close 12 of 300+
> stores in an effort to cut costs.
>
> Wilsons the Leather Experts - 158 stores
>
> Pacific Sunwear will close its 154 Demo stores after a review of strategic alternatives for the urban-apparel brand. Seventy-four underperforming Demo stores closed last May.
>
> Sharper Image: The company recently filed for bankruptcy protection and announced that 90 of its 184 stores are closing. The retailer will still operate 94 stores to pay off debts, but 90 of these stores have performed poorly and also may close.
>
> Bombay Company: (Freehold Mall store closed) The company unveiled plans to close all 384 U.S.-based Bombay Company stores. The company's online storefront has discontinued operations.
>
> KB Toys posted a list of 356 stores that it is closing around the United States as part of its bankruptcy reorganization. To see the list of s tore closings, go to the KB Toys Information web site, and click on Press Information
>
> Dillard's to Close More Stores
> Dillard's Inc. said it will continue to focus on closing underperforming stores, reducing expenses and improving its merchandise in 2008. At the company's annual shareholder meeting, CEO William Dillard II said the company will close another six underperforming stores this year.

*Dianne Rigdon*Jan Guest for Krystal Hartley*
Old 10-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

dayum
Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

That stinks. All those jobs lost

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Holy crap, that's a lot of stores!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Wow!!!! That is a lot of stores, but a lot more jobs gone.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappychic

It's really sad, there's gonna be a lot of people looking for work. I know in California the unemployment rate is the highest it's been in years.

*Dianne Rigdon*Jan Guest for Krystal Hartley*
Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

wow that is scary!! the job market is really going to get tough real soon!!

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Wow, I don't know if we're just behind the times or what, but all the stores here are practically begging for workers, and not just for the seasonal stuff either.

I think it's awful that so many are closing.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, I had no clue. What a shame.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

that is sad.. my state already has the highest unemployment rate of the entire country (we use to be 2nd).. hopefully there aren't too many closings here.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scarletsierra

Holy job losses.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mama-to-Elle

WOW, thats sad... That is such a huge number of stores
The ever FABULOUS Lauren Grier
Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
dayum
What she said! If the Fashion Bug near me closes I am going to be bummed! Granted my DH might be happy tho!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i don't have any of those stores here in Kokomo, well Old Navy, but it said its just closing Gaps. hopefully. I love Old Navy. but now i know why i cant find work, lol. this really sucks!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow....that is crazy. All those jobs...I can't imagine. The other night on the news here, they were practically BEGGING people to go buy something from retail stores! Seriously!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

that's so sad.. all those jobs lost....
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sure doesn't make me want to buy ANY GIFT CARDS ANYWHERE this Christmas!

That is an amazing amount of stores closing...I feel so sorry for all those people losing their jobs!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I knew about Bombay (got a sa-weeeeeeeeeeeeeet buffet there last fall), but I had no idea how extensive the closings were!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to Kim

Snopes hasn't updated their list on this, but the last time I got that email about stores closing, snopes said it was partially true.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/busin...reclosings.asp

Sad though
Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Linens & Things is going out of business too - http://www.lnt.com