Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-04-2014, 02:36 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd
Default Kindle and Nook Users Chime In

I know we've discussed this before, but I wanted to ask again and get ideas. Mostly, I'm just curious what other people do.

How do you organize your books on your Kindle/Nook?

After you read a book, do you remove it from the device?

How do you keep track of what you want to read next?

Do you read more than one book at a time?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

To Read, Read, Non-Fiction, Misc., Classics

No

I'd say Goodreads but I don't really have a next in line list. I just look through what's on my Kindle or Want to Read list and choose from there. I like to mix up genres and not read like books back to back. I also use the library a lot so Holds dictate my reading too.

Very rarely
Old 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

How do you organize your books on your Kindle/Nook? Mostly I just put them into a "read" folder. I have a few authors with their own folders.

After you read a book, do you remove it from the device? Not usually.

How do you keep track of what you want to read next? I have a Good Reads account, but I'm terrible about using it. I normally look at my book purchases on the "Manage My Kindle" feature on Amazon.

Do you read more than one book at a time? Not usually.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have folders set up on my kindle... some are by series, some are by author, but i also have a "to read soon" and "things i have read" folder. I also have a ton of books that aren't organized at all (most of those are freebies that I've picked up for some day when I have absolutely nothing else to read. LOL)

I don't remove things from my device after I've read them. I just move them to the "things I have read" folder.

I don't really have a set method for determining what to read next. When I'm ready to start a new book, I usually glance through my "to read soon" folder to see if anything there jumps out at me. If I'm in the mood for a specific author or series, I'll go to their folder and browse.

I'm really more of a "fly by the seat of your pants" type when it comes to choosing books.

Oh, and I never read more than one at a time. That would drive my ocd crazy. LOL
Old 03-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use the Kindle app on my iPhone/iPad so it might be a little different but this is what I do.

I have some collections made but in all honesty, I tend to forget they are there and just scroll through the All Books category instead.

Not always, but if it's a book I don't think I'll be reeading/referring back to in the near future, sometimes I'll remove it from the device and leave it on the cloud instead.

I primarily use the Kindle sample feature and download samples of any books I want to read, that way I don't have to hunt for them later - I can just start reading the sample instead. One hitch to this I have discovered is that samples aren't synced across devices so I have to remember which device I sent a sample to which is kind of annoying. It worked great when I only had one device though.

Sometimes yes, if it's a fiction vs non-fiction book, then I might be reading both at the same time. I also sometimes start a book and get bored and then come back to it later, but I don't tend to think of that as reading multiple books at once.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

How do you organize your books on your Kindle/Nook? By category...Historical Fiction, Contemporary Fiction, Young Adult, etc. I also have a few favorite author categories.

After you read a book, do you remove it from the device? Yes..I only keep what I'm reading on my device..everything else is in the cloud.

How do you keep track of what you want to read next?I just pick and choose what I want next..I don't have a set list.

Do you read more than one book at a time? No

Old 03-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

-you can do this? i have it sorted by "recently" but that's it. must read up on this.

arely. only if i didn't like it

-i don't. i always download samples first (unless it's a free one) so i look for a sample, read, then purchase/DL if i like it.

-never
Old 03-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I download as I get them, read whatever is most interesting to me at the moment, and delete it as soon as I'm done. This way I know that anything on my tablet is a TBR book (I use the Kindle app). I'm not big on rereading most book, and if I loved it, I can always get in back from the cloud. If I loved it enough, I'll buy a physical copy to add to our library. I usually have about 5 or 6 books going at one time. Some non-fiction for something I'm learning or studying, something I'm preeading for the boys, fun fiction for me (x 2 or 3), and something theological.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

This thread is SO interesting to me. I want allllllllllll my books on my device cause I never know what I'll be in the mood for next, and I don't want to have to deal with searching the cloud with wifi or whatever.

Plus, there's just something about knowing that I'm carrying hundreds of books in my hand at any given time that makes me a little giddy. LOL
Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I haven't even figured out HOW to organise my kindle yet. I see all my books in one list, with the most recent at the top. How do I put them in folders?
Old 03-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

How do you organize your books on your Kindle/Nook? I'm in the "I didn't know you could do that with a Kindle camp." Need to figure it out, because I would definitely organize it to better find stuff. I would likely do it by genre, YA, Romance, etc. And then further sub-divide as needed (like to keep my street team authors in their own space).

After you read a book, do you remove it from the device? Not often. I've only done it with a few that I got free and didn't care for.

How do you keep track of what you want to read next? I just skim through as the mood strikes. I still read a lot of "real" books too, so I often shift back and forth. If a book that's a series continuation comes out and I'm particularly excited for it, I usually read it first. For example, JR Ward's The King comes out April 1st. I will drop everything and every other book to read that.

Do you read more than one book at a time? Not often, but on occasion.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Amazon's directions for creating collections is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...375840&#k2sort
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have folders for a series of books with each folder being the name of the series. If they are not in a series, then I don't do a folder for them.

I remove mine from devise when I am done. It helps me keep track of what I have read and not read. I tend to go through several books a week and download more than that per week. It is the only thing that keeps me sane. LOL All books I have purchased that I have not read yet are on my kindle. I don't use cloud unless I want to add a book that I have already read but want to read again (yes, this has happened several times).

I go old school and have a list that I fold and put in my kindle cover. Sometimes I don't even mess with that and just kind of flip through them and just pick one. Totally depends on my mood.

No. My OCD won't allow it. HA!

Last edited by taracotta7; 03-04-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually keep them in order of the most current download.

Yes

Goodreads has my list of books to be read.

I've never understood how people do this. LOL! I stick to one book at a time. It generally only takes me a few days to read if I start during the weekday. If I'm reading on the weekend, I often finish a book in a day.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

How do you organize your books on your Kindle/Nook? I have collections on my Kindle: Currently Reading and Read Soon, Urban Fantasy to Read, Urban Fantasy Read, Home (for cookbooks, etc), Standalone Books to Read, Completed Series to Read (meaning that all books are published), and so on. But in reality, I rely on Goodreads for organizing. I have the same folder system there. It's so much easier to scroll through what's on my shelves there and read the summary than on my Kindle. Plus I keep notes on my books on GR, like "last book in series out 5/14" or "bought books 1-3 as Daily Deals." I read a lot of series, and Kindles don't deal well with series.

After you read a book, do you remove it from the device? Not from my Kindle, but yes from my phone.

How do you keep track of what you want to read next? I have one folder on the Kindle and GR for books that I want to get to soon.

Do you read more than one book at a time? No, never. The idea makes me twitchy, LOL.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I keep my Goodreads account well updated as far as the basics of toead, currently reading, and read. But, I think I could use it a lot more by making lists and categories like some of you do. I need to do that.

I love reading how all of you do this stuff. I usually only read one book at a time as well, but I recently heard the idea of having one "light" book, one "thinking" book, one non-fiction book going at the same time, with the possibility of adding in some poetry or a really thick book in there as well. So, I've been thinking about if/how that would work for me. Hmmm.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Disclaimer... I have like generation 1 of the kindle... hand me down from hubby... it's just clunky to do anything on, but read... haha

How do you organize your books on your Kindle/Nook? After I read them, I move them to what folder it should go under... Fiction, Parenting, Homeschool, etc

After you read a book, do you remove it from the device? If it was bad and I know I won't read it again, then yes, I will remove it...

How do you keep track of what you want to read next? I'm a "on the whim" reader... unless it's a series I'm reading, I look through the list and see what interests me...

Do you read more than one book at a time? I'm a fast reader, I can get through a 300+ page book in a day... and I get bored with reading fast and will stop reading for a few weeks and then I'm back into it again... so no, I don't have multiple books going.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm just gasping at the people who delete from their Kindle. My joy in the Kindle is that it can hold hundreds of books. I am not a deleter.

"To be read" books stay uncategorized. Everything else is categorized by author or if it's not an author I read frequently, I have fiction and non-fiction categories. Once I read a book, it goes in the appropriate collection.

I reread often and I read a lot of series. I like having books in collections so I can find it easily when I'm in the mood to reread.

I do not read more than one book at a time. Can't. Have to finish one or I'll never finish it.