Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-21-2022, 10:44 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default How often do you print?

So many of us are excited for the Shutterfly unlimited pages sale, yet I've heard of some DSers who never print. That "printing dichotomy" got me thinking:
1. Do you print your DS pages?
2. How often do you print?
3. Where do you print, and what size?
4, Anything else you want to share? (Tips/tricks for the site you use, etc)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have one 12x12 book of 2019 from Blurb. I'm trying to finish 2020, so I guess you could say that I print once a year. I like Blurb because I can get all my pages in one book. I think they go up to 400 pages or something.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I print random pages when I have credits or money. I print 12x12 from Persnickety prints and put in a scrapbook binder. I have done some 8x8 books with shutterfly for my mother in law since she takes my kids in the summer and she goes on almost all of our trips.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I print bound books as they are ready/Shutterfly has unlimited pages.

I print loose pages (for my AAM album, mostly) whenever i have someone coming to visit, since we live overseas, or when we're heading back to the States.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I print my own 8x8 pages and slip them into a scrapbook album that I buy at Michael's. The one that I get has 50 pages so I can get 100 layouts in each one. Unfortunately here in Canada we don't have Persnickety or Shutterbug and whoever does print 12x12 is just too cost prohibitive.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? Yes
2. How often do you print? When I get a good deal on credits or sales
3. Where do you print, and what size? Persnickety Prints 12x12 & add to 3 ring albums. HOWEVER- for 2022 forward, I am going to keep those out & start printing books that I think will just take up less space & look cleaner
4, Anything else you want to share? Persnickety has the best customer service and they are super fast. They have big sales & offer the ability to buy credits to print later too!
Old 01-22-2022, 10:45 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

i always print 8x8 mainly because it's a little cheaper than 12x12 prints. i print maybe once a year when i have a gift card or extra cash. i'll pick like 30-50 pages and order all at once. i get my scrapbooks and sleeves at hobby lobby. normally i order from shutterfly.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:00 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? Yes.

2. How often do you print? Usually once a year, sometimes twice if I have a large number of layouts uploaded to Persnickety.

3. Where do you print, and what size? I print 12x12 from Persnickety for me. They go in CM albums in top loading protectors. Since a lot of the layouts are for a cousin's family (they willingly share their photos), I print those in Shutterfly 10x10 books along with the 12x12 for me. Gave the first one to them in July, almost have book 2 done for the unlimited pages.

4, Anything else you want to share? (Tips/tricks for the site you use, etc) I upload my layouts to Persnickety about once a month into albums titled by year. If I print that album, I change the title to include printed then start album "b" for the year. When I first started I had trouble figuring out which albums I had printed since I just had albums with generic titles. A couple special projects are in albums on the site specifically for them. Such as my COVID project since I'm still doing monthly pages for it. I also buy 12x12 print credits when they are on sale to get the cheaper price. Have 127 prints coming on Monday which completes my 2021 layouts (printed in June as well).

The reason I print 12x12 is that I started as a traditional scrapper using CM albums/pages which are 12x12. So by printing 12x12 and using CM albums, I have both types of scrapbooks on my bookcase. An added benefit was that you can put digital pages and traditional pages in the same album if you want. I pulled traditional layouts and digital layouts about my dad to put in an album for the funeral visitation.

Had I not been a traditional scrapper, I would probably print 10x10 books from Shutterfly. Perfect size for bookshelves. I find 8x8 to be too small for my aging eyes.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? Yes. That was one thing I promised myself when I started--I would always print all the pages.
2. How often do you print? It depends--usually two or more times a year. I print a big photobook (approx 6 months of photographs) when I finish it, which usually works out to 2x a year. I print calendars once a year, and some years I also print a vacation photobook.
3. Where do you print, and what size? About 5 years ago I switched from 12x12 single pages to 12x12 photobooks. Unless I do some pages for a pre-2016 album, I only print photobooks now. I do12x12 for our main albums and 8x8 or 10x10 for vacation albums. I use Shutterfly for photobooks and Persnickety for single pages.
4, Anything else you want to share? (Tips/tricks for the site you use, etc) I can't think of anything right now.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? Yes, exclusively in books
2. How often do you print? Annually
3. Where do you print, and what size? Usually 8x8 ... but may start going bigger for family since they complain the journaling is too small
4, Anything else you want to share? (Tips/tricks for the site you use, etc) I use photobookamerica.com because I like books that accommodate up to 300 pages
Old 01-22-2022, 01:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used to be one of those that were waiting to print my layouts in books... I would print 50 or so layouts every year of that was significant events that year of my son and put them on the wall for his birthday parties with family. Then they would go into D-ring binders to never be looked at again - they were heavy and awkward.

So two or three years ago I decided, just print what I have into albums... when I hit 109 or whatever is the max on shutterfly, I print an bound book for that year. They are actually being looked at by the family! Are they out of order, yes... do I care? now, who cares that in vol 3 there is finally a layout of New Years of 2009? haha.

I print 8x8, by far my favorite size to be able to store on the bookshelf in the living room.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:47 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

So when you upload your layouts to Shutterfly or wherever what size file are your layouts approximately?

Old 01-22-2022, 02:21 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jo View Post
So when you upload your layouts to Shutterfly or wherever what size file are your layouts approximately?
To answer your question, I just sorted my 2021 folder by file size. My 12x12 LOs (that's the size I print, so it's the size I save my files) are anywhere from 5MB to 29MB (which is a HUGE file size. I used a template; I'm wondering if there was some metadata associated with the original file?). Usually there between 6MB and 8MB. I ALWAYS save my 12x12, 300ppi JPGs at the highest range (12 in PSCC).
Old 01-22-2022, 02:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? So far I've only printed my weekly albums. I get a book printed whenever I finish a year in my weekly project.

2. How often do you print? It depends on how quick I am to finish each year.

3. Where do you print, and what size? I print at Printique (formerly Adoramapix). They have sales fairly regularly and the finished product is beautiful. I get bound 12x12 albums.

4, Anything else you want to share? (Tips/tricks for the site you use, etc) Printique will ship to Canada but it's expensive. I live about ten minutes from the border though, so I generally have anything I buy online from the States send to a receiver just across the line. The only issue now, of course, is that the border has been essentially closed for the last two years, so I haven't been able to print anything recently.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? Yes!
2. How often do you print? It goes in streaks depending on what I have done and uploaded. I haven't printed in a while and I really need to do so soon.
3. Where do you print, and what size? I print 12x12 pages at Pernickety Prints and put them in binders, mainly because I don't scrap chronologically. When Shutterfly has an unlimited sale and if I have a good amount done from a year, I'll occasionally print 8x8 books for my kids of just their pages or pages they're in. If I have a group of pages done from a vacation, I'll print separate 12x12 books of those.
4, Anything else you want to share? (Tips/tricks for the site you use, etc) I have my pages stored in different folders on my computer for easy uploading/printing. All the pages go in to the year's folder, ie 2021. Then I have separate folders for each kid that I also put their pages in so I can upload them easily to Shutterfly for their books. I'm in the process of renaming the boy's pages to have the year first, then the month and date so they will sort better in Shutterfly's system. In my yearly folders, I name them something like 010122 New Years Day. I keep telling myself I should upload the boys pages periodically to Shutterfly so I can make a quick book when the deals come out but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I keep trying to just get a few more pages done...... The story of my life lol!
Old 01-22-2022, 08:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? Yes! Used to print as pages, but now I print as bound books
2. How often do you print? 1.When my Project Life year is complete AND there is a sale. 2. When I have 100 'regular'/non-PL pages done (not chronological or from any particular time period) AND there is a sale. 3. When a themed album/project is complete...AND there is a sale It's been about 3 books every 2 years.
3. Where do you print, and what size? I print at Blurb, 12x12 with the upgraded pages. I did just do a 20 page album for my son's basketball coach 10x10 at Shutterfly and was content with it (except for how long it took to get here)
4, Anything else you want to share? (Tips/tricks for the site you use, etc) I make my pages 12x12, then drop them on a 12.5x12.5 background that I can pull to the edge of the page in the software without worrying about cut-off. Before I did this, there was a white border around most pages & the size wasn't always consistent from one page to the next, so I like it better.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
So two or three years ago I decided, just print what I have into albums... when I hit 109 or whatever is the max on shutterfly, I print an bound book for that year. They are actually being looked at by the family! Are they out of order, yes... do I care? now, who cares that in vol 3 there is finally a layout of New Years of 2009? haha.
This is also how I print my non-PL pages. And I love it! If someone came over & wanted to look at a scrapbook (my favorite kind of person!), they'd get to see a range of dates, stages of life, places, activities.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:14 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

For those who print non-consecutively: I also print "random" pages! (I always print in bound books, but I'm calling them "random pages" since some of us print individual pages.) My random albums are called "Remember This," and I add a volume number. I'm currently working on Vol 4. Once it's finished, on the cover I'll add the dates of the pages inside. So it'll say "Remember This v4, Dec 2009 - Aug 2022" (or whatever the dates are).

One thing I need to STOP doing is printing a RT book with pages of the current year. I printed RT v3 in June 2021; in it I have 2021 pages from Jan thru June...which means those same 2021 pages are now in my 2021 year book I printed this past week. That's too close together! No one else will notice but I know!
Old 01-22-2022, 09:38 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I have a spreadsheet that I track the pages for my cousins' family as well as other albums. Just today I figured out I have just a couple more layouts to have a full unlimited book for them. The layouts for them are mostly done in chronological order since I make the list on the spreadsheet of when the events happened from their FB posts. I can also figure out if a multi-page layout will be on facing pages in the book. This list also helps me get them uploaded in the right order to shutterfly.

As for other layouts, I scrap more randomly. Which is why the 12x12 prints work for me. But I have my albums by themes. i.e. Christmas, house, Peyton, above mentioned cousins, another cousins' family, my mom's extended family, my dad's extended family, Book of Me etc. For most of them I do put the layouts in chronologically unless I didn't date the layout.

Again, this is just what I prefer since I already had over 25 traditional albums when I started digital it just made sense to stick with that size and albums.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I generally do a print run at the end of each year, but not always. If I have enough pages to fill an album I print a few 8x8 photobooks, otherwise I'll just wait and print when I have enough.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages?
I do!

2. How often do you print?
Well...I used to print everything as I made it on my own printer. I would print 8x8 on an 8.5x11 piece of photo paper. Then trim it and put it in an 8x8 album with sleeves. So, I've got a lot of those albums around here. For a while I was doing Project Life/Pocket Style pages in 8.5x11 format. I think I even bought some templates (Erica Zane's) for that size from here many moons ago. Then I'd print them and slip into sleeves that size.

Now...I bought a photobook (first time) from Shutterfly last March (I believe it was March) at 10x10 and I just LOVE it! It's not layflat, but I don't care! lol I just love that size in my hands and that it's bigger than 8x8. So, I just ordered two more this week.

But, I hate not seeing my new layouts throughout the year, so I wind up printing some of them anyway and sticking them on the side of the fridge. lol I think there's 8 there that I change out every so often. And a couple on the metal doors leading to the back deck. Now I've got a stack of printed pages that I wonder what to do with.

3. Where do you print, and what size?
Answered above

4. Anything else you want to share?
I have some weekly pages that I started last year. I only got a few months done of the year. So...I didn't print those. Do I think I'll go back and finish the year? I'm not sure. Jo has a new template pack out so I did the first week of January 2022. Do I have high hopes of doing the whole year? Of course! lol We'll see!

I don't scrap (other than the weekly pages mentioned above) in chronological order and those Shutterfly books (or home-printed books) are NOT in any kind of order. lol Well, I DID put snowy (not many of THOSE for us) and Christmas layouts at the back. And Autumnish looking somewhat before that. And beachy ones bofore that. But, overall, it's super random. Baby pictures, grandparents, my husband and I, etc. All jumping around in years. And I don't mind that one bit. As knittingbec said: If someone came over & wanted to look at a scrapbook (my favorite kind of person!), they'd get to see a range of dates, stages of life, places, activities.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:34 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? I just recently returned to DS so I haven't printed any recently but I always make pages with the intent to scrap memories and print them. I have volumes of books from when I scrapped before.
2. How often do you print? Whenever I think that I have enough pages to make a good sized book. (75 +/-) layouts
3. Where do you print, and what size? I used to do Artscow 8x8 and I will try them again when ready to print. We will see if that is still a good option.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? YES!!!

2. How often do you print? Not often enough.... I should print at least once a year...

3. Where do you print, and what size? I print 12x12 pages thru persnickety prints and put then in albums. I also print Shutterfly or Photobook America books, usually in 12x12, but sometimes 11x14, 10x10 and 8x8. I do not usually scrap chronologically, but I do put the pages in the albums in order.
Usually my books are special events, like vacations or gifts.

4, Anything else you want to share? I have one folder for pages I am working on, then they go to another to wait to be printed. When they are printed, they are sorted by year.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 01-24-2022, 11:47 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? yes, I'm right around 50 ish photobooks.

2. How often do you print? When I have a certain chronological period completed. Usually January - August/September and then October - December has been my typical printing cycle the last few years, unless we have a big trip like Disney, or I did a Yellowstone album for 2020.

3. Where do you print, and what size? https://www.prestophoto.com/ I've used them since 2009. I love their 8.5 x 8.5 size. Just that half inch makes a huge difference, but I agree with Sheri, I've been considering switching sizes because of the journaling. I used Shutterfly from 2006-2009, but I prefer Presto Photo so much more. Their books also hold more pages. I often put 120 pages in one of my books. They also offer layflat books. I do use persnicky for loose pages for my AAM album.

4. Anything else you want to share? (Tips/tricks for the site you use, etc) Just print, Kids now are the most photographed generation with the least amount of actual photos to show for it. You'll be so happy you did! Oh, I also always upgrade my binding and paper weight when printing.

Last edited by nesser1981; 01-24-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I do 2 books per year, January through June and July through December. I print whenever they are ready to go. The last year I have finished is 2016. I am close to being done with 2017 though. I don't scrap in order and don't get stressed about having them done by a certain time. I also do a separate book for each vacation. I printed early ones from ArtsCow, but now I do Shutterfly. I print at 8x8.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't scrap chronologically but I print chronologically as softcover 8x8 Shutterfly books (generally 2-3 albums per year + a separate album for Christmas + a separate album for any vacation we might take that year).

I started digitally scrapping in 2003 but don't have any pages printed from 2003 - mid-2006 as the bulk of my pages from then are of my ex's kids. I do have plans to print the two scrapbook-related trips I took in 2005 as an album.

I have mid-2006 through 2014 printed (2014's three volumes were just printed during the last sale and are on their way to me now) as well as three Christmas albums. 2015-2018 are complete and ready to go.

When my kids graduate from HS, I plan on creating a "highlights" album for each of them so they have a scrapbook to take with them.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm doing this as well! Start now. LOL! I started for Keira a couple years ago. I think I've made it through her 10th birthday. She graduates next year. CRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
When my kids graduate from HS, I plan on creating a "highlights" album for each of them so they have a scrapbook to take with them.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:42 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
Like Vanessa ditto-ed, I also plan to do something like this. I include names in my LOs' file names, so my plan is to search for "Cal" and make his book and to search for "Gen" and make hers. I keep telling myself to make CAL and GEN subfolders and to add pages as soon as they're made, but...I never have rofl. I just keep saying to myself, "I'll do that soon."
Old 01-28-2022, 01:06 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

You betcha I print my pages! I print 99% of the pages I make in Shutterfly books. I did print a couple in Blurb format a handful of years ago because they were cheaper, but then Shutterfly started their unlimited free pages sale and I was back to them again.

I print all of my pages in 12x12 sized books and the older I get, the happier I am that I stuck with the larger size. Ha ha!

As for how often... I scrap until I fill or nearly fill the 111 page limit in a Shutterfly book and then I wait for a sale.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

go you, karen!

Old 01-28-2022, 04:36 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I rarely print. I make a Project 52 book every year and that's about it! I should print more.

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,
Speak Kindly and Leave the rest to God.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you print your DS pages? Yes, quite often. I make a lot of them for gifts and print them in 8x8.
2. How often do you print? I have birthday, etc. that I make books for as gifts. I also print books just for me.
3. Where do you print, and what size? I print mine 8x8 and have been using Amazon for the last few books. They're hard bound and heavy beautiful pages.
4, Anything else you want to share? (Tips/tricks for the site you use, etc) I make quite a few 12x12 canvases, too. I have mine made at Walgreen's.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:41 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylny View Post
1. Do you print your DS pages? Yes, quite often. I make a lot of them for gifts and print them in 8x8.
2. How often do you print? I have birthday, etc. that I make books for as gifts. I also print books just for me.
3. Where do you print, and what size? I print mine 8x8 and have been using Amazon for the last few books. They're hard bound and heavy beautiful pages.
4, Anything else you want to share? (Tips/tricks for the site you use, etc) I make quite a few 12x12 canvases, too. I have mine made at Walgreen's.

Wait... what?!?!? Amazon? I need details! Lol! I didn't know this was a thing. Although I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:10 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_ View Post
Wait... what?!?!? Amazon? I need details! Lol! I didn't know this was a thing. Although I shouldn't be surprised.
Ya, I'm curious about this too!
Old 02-02-2022, 02:37 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I rarely print photobooks. Sometimes I print loose journal-size pages and kept them inside my techo journal.
I had once tried printing Moleskine Photo Book. Love the design, the bookbinding, and the matt ivory papers!