Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Online backup recs for a teenager?

We just ordered a first laptop for my oldest son, who's starting high school. I use Crashplan and love it, but I think it's too much backup for him. I'd like to look at some less expensive alternatives, services that are reliable but are $5 or less per month.

Jason saves most of his schoolwork online in a Google drive that he gets through school. (I can't remember if it's technically part of Google classroom or if it's an education variation of Google Drive.) Can online backups back that up? I know a lot about physical drives, but I don't use a virtual drive and am clueless about how they can be backed up. He's also a gamer and will have saved game files to back up. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

for my kids we use google for all media files (videos and photos). there's a phone setting you can use to auto backup when on a network. the google classroom stuff is automatically backed up to the cloud by google. they really don't have any other files that require backup as mostly they are playing games and watching videos.

what types of files specifically other than schoolwork, photos, and videos require backup?

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

for my kids we use google for all media files (videos and photos). there's a phone setting you can use to auto backup when on a network. the google classroom stuff is automatically backed up to the cloud by google. they really don't have any other files that require backup as mostly they are playing games and watching videos.

what types of files specifically other than schoolwork, photos, and videos require backup?

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

also - check with him, because I think many saved games files are automatically saved to the cloud. depends on the game, of course...

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

What about just dropbox free for him? That's all mine uses. Soon as he walks in from school it uploads & it's plenty of space.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use Backblaze. It's $5/month and I love it!
Old 08-11-2018, 05:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My girls store all their school work through Google Drives, which is offered through their schools. They are allowed to access them in class/school and at home. They can transfer to other classroom drives. They love Google Drive!

But for other purposes, I'm sorry. I am out of ideas
Old 08-15-2018, 12:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the great ideas! Seems like I need to start by finding out how big the saved game files are, since that's probably the #1 thing he'll want backed up. I don't think his games back up online, so he's been saving the files to flash drives so far.

He also just got his first cell phone, and I'm going to have him use Dropbox for backing up photos (if he ever takes any, LOL!) and moving things back and forth between phone and computer. Maybe we'll start off with that for computer backup, too, and if he starts to outgrow the free account we'll move onto Backblaze.