Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-03-2019, 12:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Dumping LOs

How often do you start a LO with a picture in your mind, work and work on it, and end up trashing the whole thing?

When do you decide that you've tried enough and it's just NOT going to work, and it's time to dump the whole thing and start over?

Or, do you just keep messing until it's passable and then move on?
Old 05-03-2019, 12:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So, I literally spent (lots of) hours working on something that I thought was going to be amazing, but no matter what I did, it just would not morph into what I was picturing So, it's gone and I'm totally starting over! LOL!!
Old 05-03-2019, 12:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I go through this I will usually save it and come back to it later. There are times where I can make a few adjustments and it works out perfectly and the time away was just what I needed. Other times I come back to it and it's still not working out. I then decide it is best to just start over. Also, there have been a few times I have asked a scrappy friend if they think it looks ok (because we all know we are much harder on ourselves) and they say yes or you can move this piece over there or add this and then it works out.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
When I go through this I will usually save it and come back to it later. There are times where I can make a few adjustments and it works out perfectly and the time away was just what I needed. Other times I come back to it and it's still not working out. I then decide it is best to just start over. Also, there have been a few times I have asked a scrappy friend if they think it looks ok (because we all know we are much harder on ourselves) and they say yes or you can move this piece over there or add this and then it works out.
That's about the process I use, too, Mary Just walking away helps sometimes. I usually leave it up on my monitor and look at it from across the room. Sometimes that helps me see what needs to be done.
Tonight, nothing could have saved the LO I had put so much effort into. LOL!
Old 05-03-2019, 12:51 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I dump layouts all the time, when I say that, about once a month if not more.

I scrap, and scrap, and scrap. If it isn't birthing in to what I'm seeing in my head, I save it for a rainy day and start all over. I probably have like 30 works in progress that I may or may not ever go back to working on....but they are there!
Old 05-03-2019, 01:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't delete many but I do save them and go back to them a week or 2 later, I can usually see it differently and make some changes to it.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I keep mine and come back to them when I feel motivated to attack them again.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:37 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I rarely dump LO and I prefer to scrap a layout in one go. I hate leaving it mid-way, unless I have to suddenly go somewhere or do something. If I ever dumped a layout, it's simply because PS crashed on me.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I dump layouts all the time. If I'm nog liking or feeling it, it goes in the trash. I don't like putting them away and come back to them later.
The bad part is... by throwing them away, I'm also trowing away a lot of time I had put into them.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do it quite often. Sometimes I will save it. Usually if I'm working on it late at night and will come back to it the next day or so. Sometimes I just delete it all together.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I rarely delete layouts I am working on. Even if they aren't going the way I want, I just keep tweaking and changing it until it's at least passable! I feel waaaaaayyyyy too behind in my scrapping to be deleting layouts!

I do have working layouts though. Mostly ones where I was working on a large group of photos, and don't want to double up on what i scrap. So I will open them all, and place some in an empty layout to come back to later. There are also a few days where I will not fully finish a layout and go back to work on it the next day.

I'm sorry it wasn't working out the way you expected it in your head!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I almost never dump a layout. I am no longer a perfectionist and would rather have the memory recorded so that I can move on to the next. I also want this to be enjoyable.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’m sorry you had to scrap all that work. I’ve dumped layouts too. If I try to tweak and tweak and it’s not working I find its better for me to just start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I rarely delete layouts I am working on. Even if they aren't going the way I want, I just keep tweaking and changing it until it's at least passable! I feel waaaaaayyyyy too behind in my scrapping to be deleting layouts!
This is how I feel most of the time when a layout isn't coming out how I want it to. (And when I'm in a scrapping slump like I am now, this is what every layout ends up going through!) But every once in a while I can tell it would be faster to start over with a very different template instead of tweaking and changing. It's rare, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but from time to time it happens to me.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I dump layouts all the time, when I say that, about once a month if not more.

I scrap, and scrap, and scrap. If it isn't birthing in to what I'm seeing in my head, I save it for a rainy day and start all over. I probably have like 30 works in progress that I may or may not ever go back to working on....but they are there!
I guess this is kind of like Babe Ruth having the record for strike outs AND home runs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I don't delete many but I do save them and go back to them a week or 2 later, I can usually see it differently and make some changes to it.
Do you ever go back after some time and realize there's no way to fix it and you just have to start from scratch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I rarely dump LO and I prefer to scrap a layout in one go. I hate leaving it mid-way, unless I have to suddenly go somewhere or do something. If I ever dumped a layout, it's simply because PS crashed on me.
Wow, Sherly! That's definitely a skill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
I dump layouts all the time. If I'm nog liking or feeling it, it goes in the trash. I don't like putting them away and come back to them later.
The bad part is... by throwing them away, I'm also trowing away a lot of time I had put into them.
Isn't that the frustrating thing, Sarah?? All that time gone!! Ugh!
Old 05-03-2019, 02:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
I do it quite often. Sometimes I will save it. Usually if I'm working on it late at night and will come back to it the next day or so. Sometimes I just delete it all together.
Those late-night ones get me! I usually wait until morning to upload LOs that I finish late. You never know what my fuzzy brain will do. I want to look at them when I'm fresh in the morning. LOL!

Quote:

I do have working layouts though. Mostly ones where I was working on a large group of photos, and don't want to double up on what i scrap. So I will open them all, and place some in an empty layout to come back to later. There are also a few days where I will not fully finish a layout and go back to work on it the next day.

I get to the point where all the messing and changing isn't helping, so I get rid of it. LOL!
Thanks, Dawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I almost never dump a layout. I am no longer a perfectionist and would rather have the memory recorded so that I can move on to the next. I also want this to be enjoyable.
You're in a great spot, Lynn! It's that little niggling perfectionist inside me that keeps me putzing and tweaking.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I’m sorry you had to scrap all that work. I’ve dumped layouts too. If I try to tweak and tweak and it’s not working I find its better for me to just start over.
Thanks, Cindi!
That's exactly it...there are times when all the tweaking in the world won't make it better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
This is how I feel most of the time when a layout isn't coming out how I want it to. (And when I'm in a scrapping slump like I am now, this is what every layout ends up going through!) But every once in a while I can tell it would be faster to start over with a very different template instead of tweaking and changing. It's rare, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but from time to time it happens to me.
Oh wow... 2 or 3 times in a year? That's awesome, Rachel! I wish I could do that
Old 05-03-2019, 02:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm an early dumper ... what I mean by that is if I've invested less than 30 minutes on something, I will close my canvas and start over. Usually it's because the template and kit I'm working with just don't jive. Otherwise, I usually save them for later. Sometimes I finish the page and other times I eventually delete the page. It is frustrating when your vision doesn't totally translate!
Old 05-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never dumped a whole LO but I will close it down for a bit, take a breather and then go back to it. I often find that choosing a few different papers will get me going on the right track again and then will tweak the elements. I don't think I've ever changed the photos I was going to use, just the products.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I avoid deleting stuff, but this week I had some colors selected to my solo AND... after making 8 papers, deleted everything. Started again. Agfter 4 papers? Deleted ALL.OF.THEM! Started again... And, well... I *think* it will be released tonight. hahah

This is SO not me. I usually avoid to move stuff around preview because I know that if I over think about something, I will hate it, buuuuuuuut, this week as difficult. haha

Pages I start with one paper, photos and don't even change them... Just go adding stuff. LOL
Old 05-03-2019, 04:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... The only time I've dumped a layout if I started with a template and then pick my photos and I'm just not feeling the template with those photos... this is within the first 10 min. There have been layouts that I've struggled with and turning out the way i would like... then I know that I just need to wrap up the layout I'm working on and walk away from scrapping until the next day. May not be my favorite layout, but I have the story scrapped an I just move on to the next story/layout.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

From time to time, I dump LOs and if I do, I'm more like Sheri. It doesn't take long before I know it does not work to my liking.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If I'm investing a couple hours into a layout, it's rare that I will completely trash it. My time is valuable, and at the end of the day, a page is a page & no one else cares how well it's shadowed or clustered, KWIM?

With that said, if I finish a layout & it makes me unhappy to look at the next day, I will delete it without a second thought. I have probably deleted 7-8 layouts over the past year.

I am much more likely to give up on a layout within the first 15-20 minutes of starting it vs. once I cross the halfway point of having placed all the photos or started clustering.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I'm an early dumper ... what I mean by that is if I've invested less than 30 minutes on something, I will close my canvas and start over. Usually it's because the template and kit I'm working with just don't jive. Otherwise, I usually save them for later. Sometimes I finish the page and other times I eventually delete the page. It is frustrating when your vision doesn't totally translate!
Oh Sheri! I wish I scrapped fast enough that I would know in 30 minutes. LOL!! Sometimes (rarely), yes, I can tell right away that it's not working, but that is definitely the exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I've never dumped a whole LO but I will close it down for a bit, take a breather and then go back to it. I often find that choosing a few different papers will get me going on the right track again and then will tweak the elements. I don't think I've ever changed the photos I was going to use, just the products.
Never in the history of ever??! Wow!! I wish I had that super power, Rae!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post
I avoid deleting stuff, but this week I had some colors selected to my solo AND... after making 8 papers, deleted everything. Started again. Agfter 4 papers? Deleted ALL.OF.THEM! Started again... And, well... I *think* it will be released tonight. hahah

This is SO not me. I usually avoid to move stuff around preview because I know that if I over think about something, I will hate it, buuuuuuuut, this week as difficult. haha

Pages I start with one paper, photos and don't even change them... Just go adding stuff. LOL
I'm so sorry you struggled this week, Ru!! I'm always so in love with your kits, it's odd to think that you would delete and start over!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Hmm... The only time I've dumped a layout if I started with a template and then pick my photos and I'm just not feeling the template with those photos... this is within the first 10 min. There have been layouts that I've struggled with and turning out the way i would like... then I know that I just need to wrap up the layout I'm working on and walk away from scrapping until the next day. May not be my favorite layout, but I have the story scrapped an I just move on to the next story/layout.
I've had times where I've opened several templates, put my photos in and ruminated on it a bit to see which I like better. It's kind of an odd thought that certain templates don't work with certain photos, but it's very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculeah View Post
From time to time, I dump LOs and if I do, I'm more like Sheri. It doesn't take long before I know it does not work to my liking.
LOL!! I just need to get faster at making that decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
If I'm investing a couple hours into a layout, it's rare that I will completely trash it. My time is valuable, and at the end of the day, a page is a page & no one else cares how well it's shadowed or clustered, KWIM?

With that said, if I finish a layout & it makes me unhappy to look at the next day, I will delete it without a second thought. I have probably deleted 7-8 layouts over the past year.

I am much more likely to give up on a layout within the first 15-20 minutes of starting it vs. once I cross the halfway point of having placed all the photos or started clustering.
That totally makes sense LeeAndra! Normally I can mess with it enough to make it work well enough... this one just really got me!
Old 05-04-2019, 08:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I have ever done this.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
I truly think that is a superpower!!
Old 05-04-2019, 11:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

You always comment that when I trash a layout! I always feel bad either deleting it or saving it for a rainy day, but sometimes you gotta trash it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post

Old 05-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have done it, but it's rare. I find more often that when a page isn't working for me I end up completely changing out the photos/theme and then it suddenly works. I've done that more times than I can count! I've done it with my designs too on occasion! lol
Old 05-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Tammy, can you please teach me how you quote multiple posts in the same post?? Thanks!

And, to answer your question, I usually don't dump them. But I do "set them aside for later" and never go back... Kind of a non-committal dumping.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
Tammy, can you please teach me how you quote multiple posts in the same post?? Thanks!

And, to answer your question, I usually don't dump them. But I do "set them aside for later" and never go back... Kind of a non-committal dumping.
Rebecca, there might be an easier way, but what I do is have 2 tabs open to the same post. In tab 1, I click "quote" and then copy it to tab 2, add my answer, hit "back" in tab 1 and repeat the process.
I hope that makes sense! If not, I can take screen shots for you

LOL! I like that term, "non-committal dumping"
Old 05-09-2019, 05:24 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Rebecca, there might be an easier way, but what I do is have 2 tabs open to the same post. In tab 1, I click "quote" and then copy it to tab 2, add my answer, hit "back" in tab 1 and repeat the process.
I hope that makes sense! If not, I can take screen shots for you
Awesome, easy enough and works like a charm, thank you!!!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
Awesome, easy enough and works like a charm, thank you!!!
You are very welcome!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

All the time!!

I've even posted layouts in the forum, realized they are super ugly (and that I've done the kit a massive injustice) and deleted them out of sheer embarrassment.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think the closest thing to a 'dump' that i've done was use different photos. Most of my scrapping is for creative team work- so sometimes it's hard to find just the right photo. But- I don't think I've ever dumped an entire layout. Even the most I've worked on a layout would MAYBE be a few hours tops. If I don't love something, I know that just getting the memory scrapped is good enough & that I'll love the next one!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
All the time!!

I've even posted layouts in the forum, realized they are super ugly (and that I've done the kit a massive injustice) and deleted them out of sheer embarrassment.
Oh.my.goodness!! THIS^^^ I didn't even think about the LOs I have in the gallery that I really should delete!!
PS... your siggy is GORGEOUS, Kjersti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I think the closest thing to a 'dump' that i've done was use different photos. Most of my scrapping is for creative team work- so sometimes it's hard to find just the right photo. But- I don't think I've ever dumped an entire layout. Even the most I've worked on a layout would MAYBE be a few hours tops. If I don't love something, I know that just getting the memory scrapped is good enough & that I'll love the next one!
When I paper scrapped and had crops at my house, my mom always said, "You don't have to LOVE every page"... which is true ...unless you're a perfectionist! LOL!