Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2024, 05:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Has winter arrived where you live?

I know this is not the case for those who live in the southern hemisphere

For the longest time it has not really felt like winter here - pretty mild temperatures. We've had snow since November but there are places north of here in Canada that still don't have snow or only recently got it.. so strange!

All of a sudden the cold snap has hit though and it's supposed to be about -42c on overnight on friday (that's negative -43f) I usually don't mind winter - with the right winter gear the cold isn't so bad (it's honestly the wind that is cold and where i am it doesn't get super windy) i'm usually out almost every day walking but this year I have not been doing my daily walks outside since October or so.. I gotta try and get back out there for fresh air but maybe not this week..
Old 01-10-2024, 05:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had maybe 3 inches of snow on Saturday night, so Winter is definitely here in PA. I hate it! Today it's VERY windy and about 34 degrees out but it feels a lot colder than that. There are lots of sticks and a few good-sized branches that fell off our Maple trees lying in the yard that will have to be cut up. Some of our Christmas lights have blown off the gutters outside, but it's too cold out to take everything down today, so they will just have to stay that way, LOL.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

High winds and about 34F here. Brrrr! The snow keeps melting and coming back and melting and coming back. NE Ohio weather is crazy!
Old 01-10-2024, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can not even begin to fathom what a negative temp is like. Yikes.

It is definitely winter in Central Florida...on and off. Today is a high of 62 F and a low of 48 F. I've had my air off for a few weeks now except on really rainy days when the humidity is still insane.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
I can not even begin to fathom what a negative temp is like. Yikes.

It is definitely winter in Central Florida...on and off. Today is a high of 62 F and a low of 48 F. I've had my air off for a few weeks now except on really rainy days when the humidity is still insane.
I feel like that towards summer temps down there. I can't imagine what places where it's often above 100 would be like! LOL. I don't do well in the heat and I can't even imagine what humidity is like on top of that!
Old 01-10-2024, 07:52 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We had blizzard for 3 days just right before Christmas and the snow stayed for a long long while, even now, there are still a bit of those icy remnants around the untouched area around the park.
The temperature did warm up a bit after the blizzard, bringing us slightly above 0 degree C, but it didn't last long. Currently, we are back to below 0 temperature again with chilly wind. However, it seems that spring is right around the corner, since the day starts to be longer and the sun/brightness stays longer. I don't have to pick up Michael in what it seems like the middle of the night at 5pm.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It was in the 20's here last week, it feels like winter, we had snow on Sunday, but it was gone by the time we drove Keira back to college. We had blizzard like conditions on Halloween, and some heavy snow right after Thanksgiving, but that's been it. We are expecting some bad weather and snow tonight.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are at -8 right now but going down to -15 in the morning with wind chill of -35 F. Friday will be the coldest at -24 daytime (not counting wind chill) and -42 at night. I've got winter gear but had to go out today to buy winter boots for the dogs.
Old 01-10-2024, 10:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yep - arrived this week, and it's brutal out there! Friday they're calling for a wind chill of -49, which will mean the school is closed (wind chill of -45 or greater closes the school).

Old 01-10-2024, 11:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Winter here - Friday is going to have a high of between -40C and -30C, so that really sucks. I'm concerned about whether my car will start in this cold, so I'm starting to plug it in at night. Definitely won't be out with the dog on Friday.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm so glad we're in the Southern Hemisphere right now. I don't do well with the cold. Today the temp is 27C (80.6F), so it's pretty hot for us. Burning in the sun, but lovely in the shade.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Here in Eastern WA, we've been unseasonably warm too- some snow but it melts right away and a lot more rain & gray skies... not my fave to be honest! We are supposed to get some snow tonight before the real cold arrives, so it'll stick around for a bit I guess. Our high on Friday is 7? F with a low of -6?F not counting windchills. Luckily I'm off to Las Vegas with my daughter for the weekend for her softball tournament so we'll escape the super cold. It's supposed to be colder there, but anything is still warmer than here at home!
Old 01-11-2024, 03:40 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It has, For now we only had snow in beginning December, but just a little. But this week it is sooo freezing cold people are so happy here that they can ice skate now. Only tomorrow the temps go up again so the ice will melt. But talk shows are speculating that there will be lots of snow next week. But I doubt and we will see if that will be true
Old 01-11-2024, 03:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have similar weather as Wendy at the moment.
One snow day in December and freezing cold this week. I've seen people ice skating as well. Temps will go up starting tomorrow.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:16 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Yes and no but that is typical here. The temps are usually average 60 degrees. But we have had some colder days. Most recently we had a very bad day/night of storms that brought a tornado or 2. For me, it is not the temp. It is the wind. The wind will make it feel like it’s freezing!
Old 01-11-2024, 10:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had been having a pretty mild winter so far too until this week. We got about 6-7 inches of heavy, wet snow Tuesday night and the kids had 2 snow days. We've got a break today and supposed to have blizzard conditions tomorrow afternoon into Saturday morning with 10-14 inches of snow and high winds and then more snow the next few days after that. Mother nature is hitting us with a vengeance!
Old 01-11-2024, 10:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can't even imagine how to keep warm in temperatures in the negatives! Brrr

It has been cold in Maryland but usually we have some sunshine and it makes all the difference when being outside.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have had a very mild winter up until this week. It snowed 3-4" early Wednesday morning and they cancelled school. We still have snow on the ground/streets despite it warming up a bit later that day. We are expecting more snow and very cold temps tomorrow and into the weekend!
Old 01-11-2024, 06:50 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

A dusting of snow last week but we've mostly had mild temperatures so far. But that is changing this weekend. Possibility of snow Saturday (no accumulation listed yet) with a low of 4 degrees. The highs for Sunday and most of next week are below 20 degrees. Lows could get to zero.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

It finally just hit us yesterday! It's been so mild and nice, we even had rain that turned into an ice storm on Christmas Day which was crazy. We even now have barely any snow. We do get a lot of wind though and the cold though is rough. I have taken inspiration from you this winter and I am trying to keep walking outside, too. I am pretty proud of myself, it's not easy here, but it makes me feel good to keep going.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
It finally just hit us yesterday! It's been so mild and nice, we even had rain that turned into an ice storm on Christmas Day which was crazy. We even now have barely any snow. We do get a lot of wind though and the cold though is rough. I have taken inspiration from you this winter and I am trying to keep walking outside, too. I am pretty proud of myself, it's not easy here, but it makes me feel good to keep going.
You must have stolen it from me. This is the least amount of walking I've done outside in yearrrrrrrrsssss. I can definitely tell it's not doing my mental health any favors so I need to get back outside

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2024, 05:34 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I know you’re asking about the Winter temps but here in the East coast of Australia we have been inundated with torrential rain, cyclones and we even had a tornado hit Christmas Evening. The weather is super weird world wide, but I can tell you I am sick of all the rain we’ve had here during our Summer break!
Old 01-13-2024, 01:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So far here in Quebec, Canada we've had unseasonably warm weather with very little snow. The grass was actually turning green on our lawn at Christmas! It has turned colder the last few days but nothing drastic. I don't call -7C very cold for mid January because it's usually closer to -15C this time of year. Last night it snowed a little, enough to get the snow plows to drive by and it's now 1C with freezing rain in the forecast which usually means the power will go off once the branches on the trees get too heavy and snap onto power lines. We've got a small generator but with more and more of these freezing rain events we're thinking of upgrading to something bigger. Candle power and one little heater for one room just doesn't cut it for power outages that last for several days.

Old 01-14-2024, 06:02 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I know I don't qualify for winter here in the tropics, BUT the high was 84 today and the low was 76 and THIS IS MY BEST LIFE. Plus, humidity was *only* 75%, so my hair looks good, or at least better than when the humidity is 100%.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Winter arrived in MI this weekend. Since Friday we've gotten over 20 inches of snow. It's nuts outside! I think we were in a lake effect band this morning that was dumping 2 inches an hour. It's so pretty out if you don't need to go anywhere. We went from barely anything on the ground to it being crotch deep.
Old 01-15-2024, 12:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It has been so cold here. On rainy days it is so cold I think it is going to snow!!