Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Just curious....insecurities

I know we all have insecurities. I'm just trying to convince myself I'm not insane (so help a girl out here). My husband got me a nice new sketch pad for Christmas. I'm just learning how to doodle and for some reason I can't let myself draw in that darn new sketch pad until I know what I draw looks good. That is crazy right?

So who else does this to themselves? Make me feel better. I mean, I could always tear the page out if I hate it and who said it has to be a masterpiece anyway...right? It's just paper....but still
Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

You are Not insane! I have untold number of new sketch pads that are completely empty for the same reason. I do have a couple that I actually began to draw in...but I tore those pages out and they still remain empty. I just can't do it.

My solution to get over this hurdle was to sketch or draw on loose paper (knowing subconsciously that I could crumple it up and throw it away). Now I approach my drawing or doodling with not as much apprehension! Weird but it works!
Here is one page I accomplished.

My advice is find a solution that will work for you!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep I get this and I do the same! I've stopped buying art journals and instead like Calvina I work on loose sheets and feel more freedom

Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

You aren't alone. I have many many things (including art journals) that I start and then put away because I don't want to ruin them.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So glad to hear I'm not alone. Calvina - that drawing is beyond amazing!!! Love!!!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's not drawing for me (I totally suck at it, really and that's not insecurity talking, that's just the plain ugly truth! LOL) but for me it's journals - I used to love to write - whether it was fictitious or journaling and for the past 12 years or so I haven't been able to do it because I think it's going to sound stupid. I mean no one even is even going to read it but me so who cares what it sounds like! I need to get over it because I keep buying cute journals, pretty notebooks and they all sit empty!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yep... this is me 100%. My creativity and all ability, including 4 years of art in college go completely out the window when an actual bound sketch pad is in front of me. Not sure why, but I can't. I use loose printer paper for all of my drawings! My husband bought me a really nice pad of thick drawing paper and new prismacolor pens for Christmas and I sat at the table for an hour thinking about what to draw. At least I tried. LOL

Old 01-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

i love sketch pads almost as much as i love photoshop.

i have no formal art training, mind you.

i used to be the same. i used to expect to be able to sketch the damn sistine chapel out.. perception was much of my problem. if youre drawing with a standard number two, it won't look like the painting youre daydreaming with out a lot of blending. just like if youre using a ballpoint... you have to look at your tools, i think... look at what kind of paper youre using and imagine what you're looking to accomplish. look at your tools objctively.

i had to remind myself that a blank piece of paper didnt need me to draw a masterpiece. i needed that piece of paper to help me draw what i needed to. then i had to ask what i needed to draw.. then what i wanted to draw.

i dont make masterpieces. i end up doodling the way im feeling which is usually chaotic with small kids... so theres a bunch of loops, song lyrics i wish i could be listening to, what i want to say when the kids ask me to cut the crust off their sandwich instead of what i tell them... pages on sketch pads end up being rough drafts but thats okay. they look less like art and more like me, but thats okay.

trick is not to rip out the paper when its not perfect lol thats why its a sketch pad and not an oiled canvas, i would imagine. <3
Old 01-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

*raises hand*

Mine i think stems from insecurities that I was never good enough. In high school when I told my art teacher that I was going to study art in college the next year.. she laughed at me :/

I bought myself a hobonichi yesterday for this very thing.. to do a doodle of some sort or watercolor every day I know I'll be very scared to start thoguh!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

haha... me too! I freeze up when I see a blank page, I don't know what to draw.

My biggest hurtle right now is that I want to get into Bible Journaling... I got a journaling bible and everything... but I just can't make myself start... what if I screw up? It's not like I can rip a pages out a bible!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Reba - I think I'd feel the same. I have a smaller Target Dollar Spot notebook and I've been drawing in that to "practice". Maybe if you practice it will be easier when you actually draw in the bible? I got Katie a journal bible for Christmas.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
Reba - I think I'd feel the same. I have a smaller Target Dollar Spot notebook and I've been drawing in that to "practice". Maybe if you practice it will be easier when you actually draw in the bible? I got Katie a journal bible for Christmas.
I should try that... during school, J and I will write a bible verse to practice "our" handwriting... I put "our" in there because he really doesn't like to do it, but will if I'm doing it along with him... there is space above where you can draw a picture and I try to draw out something... I'm just intimated. I have no idea where to begin on drawing pretty letters...
Old 01-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, same here! I always struggle with that first page. Once I get past that first page, I'm good to go but it's the same thing as everyone else....in a bound sketchbook, it's more permanent & you want those sketches to be perfect.

I've started using the first few pages to doodle and mess around with different brushes, pencils, markers, etc...just so I can see what bleeds through or how they all look on that paper. It's really helped me get over that wall.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:17 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

You're not alone! I feel that way too for a lot of things... Starting new things is always hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can so relate!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have sketch pads, but do have planners I haven't written in because I don't want to ruin the pages ... and I have tons of adult coloring books - un-used ... again, for fear it won't be perfect enough!
I think we're all a little spoiled with the UNDO button when we're digital scrapping!! LOL!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am not insecure abt drawing; I am fully aware that I suck at it.

I'm insecure abt my cooking, though. I hate messing up even a little and even if it doesn't really affect the overall taste or it tastes just fine or no one can tell that I messed up. It HAS to be perfect or it ruins the whole dinner for me. There are dinners I'd love to try to make/eat, but I'm worried that I will screw them up so I haven't tried.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:27 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh, that is so me! I always try to keep sketch books 'pretty' and am afraid to start and when I do I always make a stupid mistake lol. I usually use paper sheets as well because it feels like it doesn't matter as much if it goes wrong

Old 01-08-2016, 06:11 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I know it is hard but remember what we would all tell our children - just try. You will never accomplish anything if you don't try.

We all want to be perfect but remember we are not and when we expect perfection we will always be disappointed.

Just put pencil to paper and go with the flow.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFCknHC8NAo how timely!
Old 01-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to sketch portraits all the time but tucked it away a while back. My husband to this day badgers me to use "my talent" I just don't see it, we are always hardest on ourselves Here is an old layout of a few of the practice sketches I have done. I tend to compare myself to others in everything I do and never feel good enough, I'm the same with scrapping.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Start with these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TXEZ4tP06c

Then you've got something and can move on from there.

Or search youtube for a drawing. I did that with a painting awhile back and was amazed at how well it turned out. The worst part was where I signed my name. lol!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to update you ladies after all your support. I opened the sketch pad to page 3 (Lol) and did some little doodles. I'm not talking sketching or anything fancy. Just little vacation doodles because I want to be able to draw out what we do each day on vacation this summer. It was fun. I left it out and my husband saw it and actually commented that the doodles were cute - I apparently need to work on drawing croissants though - he couldn't figure out what it was (and if I'm going to Paris you bet I'm eating a croissant!) Thanks for making me realize it was just a fear of starting something new.