Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you let your kids skip school for stupid reasons?

I called the attendance line to report Jake's absence but didn't say why, as they require... because I'm letting him go to theater and watch The Avengers with his buddies, lol!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No, I use school time to tidy up, do shopping etc lol. They get lots of school holidays anyway so I don't add to that (I like the peace each day, I need it with my 2 ha)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well my kids miss weeks every time we move. Any important things in my husband's unit and they miss. Movies that we wait years for they miss. My sister's wedding is coming up and my son will miss the last day of school! I'm a bad mom. :/
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my mother always gave us one hooky day a year as long as we had no tests or something big due that day. i usually pull my boys out a day early to head up to the cape for a long weekend - but other than that typically i don't let them stay home for no reason!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

With my kids, it seems like there's always someone out sick or for a doctor's appointment. So I don't add days by keeping them out for no reason. But if they're going to miss a lot of the day for something like a doctor's appointment, I sometimes let them stay out the whole day even though they could go in for a couple hours. Did that yesterday after the kids' dentist appointments, and now one is home sick today. Grrr. In the last 2 months, I think there's been 1 week when all 3 kids were healthy enough to go to school every day.

Last edited by rach3975; 05-04-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

We have a little more leeway than most, but if our kids were in public/private school, we'd miss days for things other than sickness, because I firmly believe big life events constitute life learning as much as school does. But probably not for a movie, though we do make literature movie-tie ins field trips occasionally for us.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We "skip" school whenever we want... one of the glorious advantages to homeschooling!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nope, they already have plenty of days off in the school calendar, so they don't miss except if they are sick. Matter of fact, my oldest has missed yeasterday and today because he has a bad case of the flu, with muscle and head aches anf high fevers.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, but not when they get to high school. My boys rarely miss days for sickness and usually have straight A's, so I've done a few hooky days or early pickups over the years. But usually it's not for NO reason, just not a school-sanctioned one.

And I have no qualms not leaving a reason for the absence. I'm the parent, not the school. And besides, usually they only want to know if your kid has something contagious.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH has really wonderful memories of skipping school with his Dad and brother to see the first Star Wars Movie when it came out in the 70's. I think for a 'special occasion' it makes it really special. To frequent, obviously, and it wouldn't be special!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My girls are younger, but yes we have missed school for things other than illness. My husband works most weekends, so we have taken them out for a day at the zoo, and other little family day trips.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I'll ONLY let my kids miss school for stupid stuff if it's cuz I'm too lazy to take them. Otherwise?! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! lol
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest is only in first grade, but I try not to have him miss school unless it's really necessary. He does miss a few days a year for family trips and such, and then there are the inevitable sick days, but he does best with the structure of school.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Part of the issue this time is that my other boy is homeschooled and so are 2 of the other boys that are going. I almost said no, but the softy in me caved.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can't think of a time I've let them miss school for a reason other than sickness or dr/dentist appt. I'm not opposed to it, but it would need to be sometime fairly significant (wedding, funeral, moving). I'd probably consider missing days for a big family vacation or something.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When my twins were in 3rd grade, they both had perfect attendance. By April, it put a lot of pressure on us. I got the stomach flu the 2nd to last week of school and we were all scared the boys would get it too and ruin their perfect attendance. I said, we aren't doing that again!

So the next year, I purposely took them out of school for a hooky day early in the year. Ha!

It does depend on the child though, and I'd never have them skip something important.

Oh, and I should add...my high schooler has asked me more than once if he could go to a midnight opening of a movie and stay home the next day, because all his friends were doing it. Uh, no. And also no to the staying home to play the hottest video game that just came out - his friends have done that also.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My kids have only missed due to illness/medical stuff, doctor appointments.. or when DH was deploying, I'd let them stay home to go see him off, and to welcome him home.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yep-My kids have always been allowed to use personal days-as I see fit. I get two per school year so I figure they should get at least that.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Every year my kids miss two days because we are at Great Wolf Lodge and it's cheaper (often significantly) to stay Sun & Monday night than it is to stay Fri & Sat night. Yep we keep our kids out of school because we are too cheap to pay an extra $150 or so on a vacation.

Depending on the movie & their grades & what was going on the next day I might let them go to a midnight showing & miss the next day when they are teens. When they are older & if their grades are good & they don't have a test the next day I'm pretty much ok with them taking a mental health day every now & then.

Or maybe a day off to help Daddy at long last build that garage he's been promising me for 15 years now.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Nope...my hubby won't even let the boys miss for a vacation to Disney...I swore I wouldn't ever let them miss school b/c I was a teacher for years, but I REALLY want to go to Florida this fall....hubby says NOPE...that's what breaks are for!!! LOL

I tried to get Jason to stay home today b/c he is EXHAUSTED to the point he couldn't even walk this morning (he is playing baseball AND soccer) but he wanted to go!!! He is just like me...doesn't want to miss school!!! Poor Jason has missed a few days this year with high fevers so there is no way I would pull him out if I didn't have to...I know it's just kindergarten but he LOVES going!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
I can't think of a time I've let them miss school for a reason other than sickness or dr/dentist appt. I'm not opposed to it, but it would need to be sometime fairly significant (wedding, funeral, moving). I'd probably consider missing days for a big family vacation or something.
I am the same way Misty. Michael, who is in 2nd grade, has only missed two days since he entered school (one for a funeral and one sick day). When I was in college, I never missed a full day! I literally only missed one class in four years. I guess you could say I really value education, lol ... or perhaps that I'm just completely anal
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My parents let me, and I'll eventually let my kids. But, it will all depend on the situation and whats going on at school.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No...well at least not yet...especially since I pay for him to go to private school I would if we were going on vacation or something like that...
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't done this yet... but I have family coming to town next week (an hour away though)... and if they don't come out here, I will probably take K out of school to go with us to visit them. Otherwise she would miss out and I would feel rushed trying to get back to pick her up.

I don't think I would keep them home to let them go see a movie.... BUT... my mom always let us stay home when we just really didn't feel like going to school (at least for me, it was never because of tests or anything... and it didn't happen more than a couple times a year). More than just "I don't want to go to school." I LOVED that she did that. My friend does this with her daughter and calls it a "mental health day" which I think is great. My oldest is only in first grade right now and hasn't needed any... but if she did, I would probably let her (although right now she just wants to stay home to play with her sisters...)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

My mom took us on a 5 day vacation in November, so my 5 year old missed 3 days. And I recently took him our a day to go to Legoland. The Legoland day I said he was sick on the attendance line. They give us a hard time in my son's school. In California if kids aren't in school and it's an unexcused absence, the school does not get paid for that kid, that day. At least, I think that is the reason the school gives us a hard time. But I definitely believe it's okay to play hooky a day or two a year.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I give my son two personal days a school year. I tell the school he is sick (shhhhh don' tell anyone) but I let him hang out with me if he really really really just misses me and wants to be home alone with me for a day.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I do. My son is in all Pre-AP, GT classes and maintains high A averages on top of playing competitive soccer 6 days a week and traveling for games. There are time he just needs a mental health day and I gladly let him take it if there is nothing major occurring in school that day. I will also take him out for family events when necessary.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I let my kids have mental health days. My middle schooler gets 1 per nine weeks and it can be because she didn't finish a project, she's really tired or she just needs a break. My elementry kid never wants to stay home so it's a rare event.

Earlier this week we took them to a MLB game and it went in to extra innings so we didn't get home until midnight. It was a fluke thing, won free tickets and then couldn't find a sitter so we bought them tickets to go with us as the last minute. I ended up letting them sleep in intending to take them to school late, however, I was totally in to my work day (I work from home some days) and they slept so late it wasn't worth sending them to school. So...they got a day off as a surprise (and did lots of reading and picking up).
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I told my girls that near the end of the school year when all their big projects are done, we can play "hookie". They get a day off school and I'll call in sick to work
Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have, for special occasions - it's the thing good memories are made of! My son asked for his bday to have a day with just his dad and I so we let him skip school and just had a fun day. He'll never forget it and I'm certain the school can just get over it!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

if they have nothing important going on and if they are younger yes no biggie to me. BUT in high school here they have a strict 5 absence only rule or you fail.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
Now that my kids are BACK in public school, they are off more days than when we homeschooled full time ... I find that amazing ... they get a day off school, a late start, or early dismissal every month .... 1-4 times a month!! One teenager is there full time as of January ... the other is there for 2 classes but next year will be close to full time (6 out of 7 hours) ... and they are in high school.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I probably would, if it was for something special. I was allowed to miss when I was in school, to travel to see a band, or something big like that. I actually missed quite a bit one year, just for concerts , but I did good in school, and didn't 'skip' just to do it, or for hanging out and I got good grades and wasn't a trouble maker. So, if it was for a special occasion, I would. We actually took the girls out a couple months back when dh had Dr. appts in Kentucky... We just took the girls out in the middle of the week for 2 days and called it a vacation lol.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I have for something special. I need "mental health days" from time to time and I figure they do too! Once a year, I'll pack them up for school and drive them....only then I'll drive on past the school and take them into the city for the day. They have no idea when I'm going to do it, and it's always totally awesome!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well that's the last time I do HIM a favor! After spending the night and all day with his friends, I went to pick him up and he gave me lip about coming home. Said that since its Friday he should be allowed to spend the night again. Excuse me? Who just let you skip school to see a movie?

Argh! Kids!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylensmom View Post
No...well at least not yet...especially since I pay for him to go to private school I would if we were going on vacation or something like that...
I'm the same way. But we have taken them out for a vacation or when we drove to Florida to see my mil when she had cancer (she died the next month).
Plus, they love school - or at least, seeing their friends & doing stuff at school. my younger son says his teacher is his "girlfriend."
Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When DD was in 1st or grade she missed a couple of days for vacation. Other than that no. I hate for them to miss because there's always so much make up work and with both of us working full time, there's usually not a free day to keep them out anyways.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

not really. today they didn't go because we had to be in Ft. Wayne for a procedure my husband had to have done at the VA hospital there, and he had to be there at 9AM. we live in Kokomo about 2 hours or so away and we had no one who could have taken them. so my oldest stayed with grandma and the other two came with us. and i meant to call this morning to tell them why they wouldn't be in school but my phone died on the way there while using AT&T Navigator and i don't have a car charger lol. oh well!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, if you count taking the day off from homeschooling to go to the zoo or something, then yes.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
I have for something special. I need "mental health days" from time to time and I figure they do too! Once a year, I'll pack them up for school and drive them....only then I'll drive on past the school and take them into the city for the day. They have no idea when I'm going to do it, and it's always totally awesome!
Such a fun idea!!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes... and no. I feel strongly that they need to be there in order to keep up with what is going on at school and I work hard to make sure they don't miss school unnecessarily BUT there are some things I feel are necessary that aren't illness, death, funerals or weddings, you know? It hasn't happened since my kids got in elementary school but we had out of state visitors when my daughter was in preschool and we took her out while they were here. You never know what will happen in life and it was important for her to spend time with her grandparents, aunt, uncles and cousins. Extremely important to me. We try to plan our visits around breaks and holidays but if we found out today that the family was coming in from out of state on Monday my kids wouldn't be at school Monday, they would be playing with their cousins and getting smothered with kisses from their grandparents. I wouldn't hesitate to tell the school exactly why either. I'm positive they would understand completely too!

When I was in elementary school I rarely missed. Junior high was ROUGH on me. I had a lot of peer issues and it caused me major stress to the point of having an ulcer at 14 years old. I would break out in hives too, terrible breakouts. When it got really rough my grandma would let me stay home. I wasn't 'sick' exactly but I was stressed out to the point that being at school was counterproductive. I was better able to get my schoolwork done at home on those days. Grandma would go and pick up a packet of work for me at the end of the day and I'd have my work done and back to school the next day.

My grandma let me stay home on my 16th birthday so my mom and step-dad could take me to the movies. It was a huge deal that they even wanted to because my mom and I were going through a really rough patch at that point (my grandma adopted me when I was 11 months old and raised me but my biological mother, grandma's daughter, is still my 'mom'). My grandma also let me stay home from school when I was 17 and my new baby cousin was coming home from the hospital. I got to go with her and my aunt to pick him up (he had to stay in NICU for a few days). It meant so much to me.

Our senior year we had 'senior ditch day' and I got to miss school for that too. In fact, my grandma drove me to school and I got out of her car and in to my friend's mom's car (as did like 5 other kids). The principal was standing right there and saw us and he never said a word. In fact, he later told my friend's mom that he thinks kids need to have experiences like that and he was happy we at least had adult supervision while we were skipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
We have a little more leeway than most, but if our kids were in public/private school, we'd miss days for things other than sickness, because I firmly believe big life events constitute life learning as much as school does. But probably not for a movie, though we do make literature movie-tie ins field trips occasionally for us.
I agree completely, Darcy. I even heard almost those exact words come out of our principal's mouth one year and I know a lot of our teachers feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
Part of the issue this time is that my other boy is homeschooled and so are 2 of the other boys that are going. I almost said no, but the softy in me caved.
I can totally see why you let him then. Its hard to be left out of a group you are friends with just because you go to school and they are homeschooled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
if they have nothing important going on and if they are younger yes no biggie to me. BUT in high school here they have a strict 5 absence only rule or you fail.
Our highschool had a similar rule when I was in school. It was basically to weed out kids who ditched classes. I missed 20 some days during the school year my senior year alone and they never once questioned my absences. Of course I was sick a lot and my doctor got really good at faxing over a note every time I was in the office for something. They knew I wasn't playing around (exactly... there were the aforementioned times....)

I have to admit though, there were certain classes I ditched. My senior year I was a peer counselor. I could pretty much use that to get out of any class I wanted. I could say that so and so student needed to talk to me. They would even call them out of class for me. We'd get a slip from the counselor's office to excuse us and we'd go walk around campus and talk or whatever. I didn't abuse it but boy I could have! There was a time or two when I missed a class that was frustrating me though.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I have taken mine out for vacations but not for other reasons.

I skipped Senior Skip Day and I was shocked my mom let me do that
Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In general, no. I'm a teacher and feel attendance is important. However, the only day my girls have missed this year was a Friday in December when my mom took them to Branson for a long weekend. I called them in sick. My son has missed two days but they were both college visit days. None of them has been sick all year. My girls are straight A students and neither of them wants to miss any school. In fact, they panic at the thought. Love it.

Edited -- just realized that the older daughter has missed some school (just an hour here and there) to attend forensics tournaments. In fact, she's at one right now and they left just after lunch. So I guess she has missed more than the 1 day but it's for a school event and she totally stresses out over it.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only let my kids miss school for family vacations.

But....when I was 17 and dating my now husband I asked my Dad if I could stay home from school because it was our one year dating anniversary. And he said YES! Are you kidding me? Who lets their 17 year daughter stay home with her boyfriend to celebrate their anniversary?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've taken our son out of school 1/2 an hour early on a 1/2 day so we could all go out to lunch, LOL but we had to go out of town so we were eating lunch out on the way! I've kept my son home here or there for a "mental health day" but it's more for him to get a breather from school the day after he has a bad day at school (he has some delay and behavioral issues at school sometimes and really needs it once in a while)

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
But....when I was 17 and dating my now husband I asked my Dad if I could stay home from school because it was our one year dating anniversary. And he said YES! Are you kidding me? Who lets their 17 year daughter stay home with her boyfriend to celebrate their anniversary?
He was probably so surprised you asked, you caught him off guard!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've taken days off here and there if the kids are sick, if we're away or if we just generally need a mental health day (maybe once a year for that reason). I work for the school division, so our days off and holidays are the same. If I have to go to work, they have to go to school. lol

Some weeks are just too long and we all feel it. They'll be in school/work for the rest of their lives, so a day off here and there is not a big deal.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKim View Post
In general, no. I'm a teacher and feel attendance is important.
Um... yeah... I can see that being a factor in your decision making, lol!

Next year BOTH my boys will be in high school and attendance is going to be pretty strictly adhered to. I remember missing a day here and there when I was in high school would really set me back.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When Jeffrey was in public school, there were a handful of days that we pulled him out of school "just because." And I know when I was younger, my mom did the same thing with me-- an occasional day out of school just because.

A lot of it depended on how our attendance was otherwise-- if we were out of school a LOT for illness/travel/etc, then we wouldn't miss school for other reasons, but if we had pretty good attendance, then it wasn't an issue.

Or, some days, mom would let us sleep in and miss the first hour of school... it didn't happen often (usually when we were getting over an illness or had a long night the night before for whatever reason), but it was kind of nice to just wake up when we woke up and then go to school.

Now, we're homeschooling, so school doesn't start until around 9. If we need a day off, we'll go on an educational field trip or reschedule the work for another day... we're also on a 4-day work week... Monday through Thursday we work really hard, and Friday, we have off. Because public schools have times during the day where they aren't working (travel between classes, recess, lunch time-- we work through lunch in our homeschool--, field days, movie days, pajama days, etc), we can essentially schedule all of that downtime to land on a Friday, and still be doing as much work as the public schools.

It's nice having the flexibility with the homeschooling-- then we don't have to worry about giving any excuses when today is just not a day for school.

New Siggy Coming Soon