Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-28-2020, 01:32 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Utah gals...

Or anyone who has traveled throughout there...

I would LOVE some tips/tricks/recommendations of places to stay, charge, etc. for our Summer Grand Canyon 2020 Road Trip. (Attached is our tentative map- all the markers are chargers along our route for our car!)

We are planning to drive east into Montana, then down I-15, at least getting to southern ID or Northern UT the first travel day. We'll probably explore Salt Lake City area a bit too either on the way there or back! We're basically doing a huge loop!

We KNOW we want to tour Zion, Four Corners, Natural Bridges Monument & Arches (the last three probably on our way home FROM the Grand Canyon!) We have 7-10 days & prefer NOT to camp- actually prefer to support hotels with Tesla destination chargers.

So --
1. WHERE SHOULD WE STAY IN/AROUND Salt Lake City (going, and coming back home...)
2. WHAT SHOULD WE DO in Salt Lake City vicinity? FYI, we are not LDS, but live across from a temple here in Spokane- the architecture & such in SLC I'm sure is amazing right?

TIA!
Old 01-28-2020, 02:37 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

The Hilton Garden Inn in Ogden is very nice and in a cute updated downtown area with lots of places to eat and shop. It's a fun area to stay and walking distance to all the fun places down there. Sonora Grill right across the street is my favorite place to eat and a movie theater and IFly are right across the street too. I'm not from there, but used to live there and travel a lot there to visit family. Not sure about the Tesla charger, but they have their own parking garage for the Hotel.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Looks like it is going to be a wonderful trip!!!
Old 01-28-2020, 11:19 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

leave the kids and husband at home and take me with you
Old 01-28-2020, 11:51 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I can't help you at all, but sure does look like an amazing trip!!!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 01-28-2020, 11:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hey - If Kristin gets to go I want to go too!!!
Old 01-28-2020, 12:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

yes even better KJ!!
Old 01-28-2020, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How fun! I don't have any advice for you...but it sounds like it will be a wonderful trip! I sometimes do some planning for trips using Pinterest. Either searching for a destination or things to do there (free things to do in *insert city*). Good luck! I'm sure it will be amazing!
Old 01-28-2020, 12:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I want to go too! Shotgun!
Old 01-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any experience with the hotels here. I do know Airbnbs are very popular here so maybe look into that? As for where to go in SLC, I'll check to see what is open around the Temple Square. The Salt Lake Temple is closed for renovation but I think the Temple Square and the visitor's center are open. Lots of historical sites to visit around the temple square as well, like the Beehive house and the Church history museum. The conference center has a cool tour where they take you to the roof and you can see the city. Nearby the city there's a park called the This Is The Place heritage park and in the summer they have fun activities like gold-panning and leather stamping.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If Kristin, Kjersti & Lorie are going, I want to go!! You could pick me up on your way!
Old 01-29-2020, 12:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you're staying in SLC, I'd totally suggest Grand America. It's stunning and has chargers for your Tesla.

As Grace mentioned above, Temple Square is always beautiful, even if you're not LDS. Summer is a great time for hikes if you're into that.

Other places:
Natural History Museum
The Leonardo
Thanksgiving Point (in Lehi)-dinosaur museum, gardens
Tracy Aviary
Utah Olympic Park
Snowbird
Red Butte Gardens
Living Planet Aquarium
City Creek Center has great shopping across from Temple Square
State capital building & Memory Grove is down the hill from it
Eccles &Capital theaters

There's so many great places! I honestly haven't been down to the 4 corners, arches, etc area and I've lived in UT my entire life...yikes. So I can't help very much with that but I'm sure I can ask friends questions if you'd like.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks guys for the info! Wouldn't a SSD roadtrip be a blast!? I'll drive even! Lol!
Old 01-30-2020, 12:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Looks like a great trip! With kids, we stay at one of the Hyatt's downtown as we are Hyatt members and usually can get a room for 6 for $130-150 including free breakfast which makes it awesome for 6 and it is a good breakfast. Also - walking distance for all downtown attractions or to jump on the tracks train which you can ride free in the downtown free zone. Downtown, our kids love the Gateway kids museum (if you have younger kids). They all love the Planetarium - so many free fun things to do/play/interact on all 3 floors and if you want you can do a show - but our kids love to just go there to play and its free! We love the Leo, Hogle Zoo, This is the Place, Natural History Museum (and hiking behind the Natural History Museum - Red Butte Gardens next door is beautiful! (If you do these things - get the SLC City Pass - it will save you tons!) The pass also includes riding the tram to the top of the mountain at Snowbird which is beautiful - plus in the summer Snowbird has a bunch of activities - alpine slide, alpine coaster (favorite!), zipline, drop, ropes course, climbing wall, jump zone, etc. Fun place. We also enjoy the Olympic park in park city - their alpine slide is awesome if they have it back open, we love the challenge course. We have not done the tubing yet - but it looks so awesome!
Old 02-01-2020, 05:55 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Moab, Utah is one of my most favorite places on Earth. I only got to spend a couple of days there, but hope to go back someday. Arches is gorgeous and so worth seeing. SLC has tons of fun things to do, the temple is gorgeous even as a non-LDS person. They have a fun aquarium we enjoyed last time we were there. Utah is probably one of the prettiest states in the entire US. The drive to SLC from Moab is pretty even.