Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-02-2021, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTW: 02/02 Your Home

During this pandemic, we are all staying closer to home, not able to socialize and carry on with life as usual (hopefully soon though).

So this week the question is....
What do you like and not like about your home?
Old 02-02-2021, 12:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like the location, it's close to everything. We have a river across the street with lots of trails for walking. We have good neighbors. We have some comforts like on demand hot water so we take as many showers, as long as we want, and never run out of hot water. We have a really good AC system. We have a big back porch and garden. I love to sit in the kitchen and look out at the birds.

It's an older home, needs a lot of updates. We will sell it hopefully in another year or two and move into something smaller, a little further out of the city (tired of the traffic even though it is convenient to be so close to all conveniences) and want something either newer or with major upgrades. We don't need so much space but would like a more open floor plan. A rancher or split level would be good. I'm downsizing and purging a lot b/c I have realized I don't need half the things I have stored all over the house.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love our home for the most part. It is showing some wear like dishwasher needs replacing, we just had to replace the water softener and the back door. Overall though I love our location, we are in a gated subdivision. We live in the back on a cul-de-sac of another cul-de-sac. There aren't houses on one part of it just the back of a house...so there is a lot of room for playing and running up and down our street to the cul-de-sac at the bottom of the hill. We have lived here almost 11 years now and know all of our neighbors pretty well and the ones that have kids all play together. When COVID hit we were cautious about keeping the outside, spaced apart but they have been a quarenteam since Day 1. It is a little gang of about 12 kids and on any given day you will hear the screams of them running around playing ball, drawing on someone's driveway or riding bikes. The kids got creative over the summer with box fans on the porches since it got to 100 degrees here. They would watch movies on the porches since I wanted to keep distance and didn't let them in the house.

The other thing I love which got cancelled this year was swimming. We have a neighborhood pool and a neighborhood swim team. The kids can compete with other neighborhoods in the city. It is great opportunity to meet neighbors that don't live on my street and get to know folks around us. Our neighborhood does a Fourth of July parade and picnic, little parties for Easter, Winter and more...It is a great place to live for sure.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What do you like and not like about your home?

like - I love that the bus stop is right across from the house and the kids don't have to walk to school or walk several blocks to the bus stop. Also like that we live in a small development, I think there are 40 homes in our neighborhood? I love that the kids can go outside and play without any speeders coming through, as it's one big figure 8 housing area! I really like how we live in the country, yet if you travel 30 minutes in either direction, there's a town that you can do all of your shopping.

dislike - I don't like how small the house is, not just in square footage, but size like our cabinets are so small you can't fit glasses on the shelves, our doorways are super small and only 21" wide causing us to hit our elbows. We've taken a lot of our doors off to give us an extra inch or two because they are so narrow. I dislike how there isn't much closet space for all of the mandatory military gear we have to store while he is in service. I dislike how there are no available doctors in our area and we have to travel the hour to Nashville for appointments, specialty care, etc.

While I know a lot of this is not specific to the actual home that we live in, it's not our forever home, in fact we will be moving from this home to somewhere else later this year so it's hard to get attached to homes in general for our family as we know it's only a matter of time before we move to another.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Like - It's on almost an acre, wooded, neighbors aren't on top of us. 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, much bigger than our last house. Huge deck on the back of the house. The kitchen is much larger with more space to cook. We have a mudroom, 2 car garage.

Don't like - We bought a fixer upper. To stay in the price point we wanted, basically every room needs an update. But this is our forever home. We have replaced carpet and paint in the bedrooms and living room. The playroom could use new carpet too, but it's fine for now.

All 3 bathrooms are outdated, but functional, same with the kitchen. We want to update the siding on the house as well.

Our backyard has a slope to it, but since we have the big deck, we really aren't in the yard a ton. The kids have plenty of flat space to play, so it's fine.

When we bought our house, we'd planned to remodel the kitchen right away, things came up with DH's work, by the time we were ready, the roof we thought had about 5 years, was leaking, so the money for the kitchen we to the roof.

Our first house we redid our Roof, Windows, Kitchen, both Bathrooms, Garage Door and plenty of paint. So we've been there before, there is just twice as much of this house. LOL! It's going to take a lot longer to do.

But honestly, I love this house more than it sounds like. LOL! Truly. There are just a lot of projects.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

LOVE my home and my neighborhood! We have two and half streets, one make a big circle and one cuts through the middle of the circle and we live on the middle road. It's lovely and quiet! We have one of the biggest back yards and we love it! We have a big rubber mulched play area, 40 foot swing set, trampoline, a 30 foot pool with a deck, two shed, and a lovely large patio! We moved here 17 years ago when I was expecting our son. Our girls were 1,3, and 5. This is where they have a grown up...

We have done lots to our home.... right after we moved in we did new windows, roof and siding.... We have also remodeled the basement, remodeled two of the bathrooms, enlarged the driveway, took some of the garage to make a new laundry room, built a new master bed room closet... Last summer we built the pool deck.

Of course, things need help here... The master bath is falling apart and we are hoping to redo it this year. Our kitchen is definitely in need of a redo. We are considering an addition to move my day care out of the formal living room, and maybe then we could redo the kitchen they way we are dreaming of.

Over all this is a great area to live, but it is becoming crowed and there is always lots of traffic on the main roads.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 02-02-2021, 04:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What I don't like is.... it's not mine. We have been staying in a family members home for a few years while they live and work in a different province, so the biggest thing that annoys me is that I can't do any cosmetic fixes to freshen things up. Also, living with the stuff of 'two households' it's always so cluttery feeling no matter how much I clean and downsize the amount of stuff we have.

In the Sense of the Pandemic.... what I like the least is having neighbours! Our homes aren't super close together by any means, but they are close enough they they have been creeping over their lines little by little and I just hate that! I don't want to be completely in the middle of no where, however, one thing I do look for when I look at a possible home to buy is that there it lots of space between other homes in the area.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I mostly love our house. It's 4 bedrooms, just the right size for us. We live on a very quiet street in a suburb of Washington, DC, so we have everything within a short drive. We've lived here 16 years--my oldest was only 1.5 when we moved in. We've remodeled 2 of the 3 bathrooms and put new flooring throughout the main level, so between that and paint it's really "us." We have great schools nearby. We should have it paid off in another 8 or so years.

The negatives are mostly minor. Our house is getting to an age where it needs more frequent work. (We've thought about moving to a newer house, but newer construction in our area tends to be expensive luxury homes and we're not willing to leave our schools or increase DH's commute to move further out to an area with newer homes in our price range.) We have 1 more bathroom to re-do, which I'm looking forward to, and in the next few years we'll probably have to tackle the finished basement and the kitchen (dreading that one! ) The kitchen is long and narrow, which makes it hard for more than 1 person to work in it at a time. Sound travels too much--when "someone" is yelling at his teams on tv there's nowhere to go and have quiet. The neighborhood friends the kids had have all moved away and the kids who moved in are too much younger. Nothing that outweighs the good!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2021, 05:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I grew up in tiny apartments, so I love every single thing about my house more than most people probably would. My favorite things about my house are my girly, giant laundry room, the way I have decorated the entire house, our fabulous neighbors and my huge vaulted ceilings that make my great room like huge. I guess the only thing I would say I dislike about it is that my yard is small (but I bought it already fenced in). We are going to landscape this summer though and I will probably appreciate it more than.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been renting since college. Divorce, unemployment, stepkids & child support, part-time work... all mean there's never been "extra" money to save up for a house until the last couple years.

My biggest goal for this year is to finally buy my own house. I'm not sure if I'll qualify as my credit is good but I don't have much savings and I don't make big bucks at my job. I know there are first-time home buyer & down payment assistance programs for my state so I'm hoping to make it to a lender in the next month to see if I can qualify for something in a good neighborhood with a good school district and then move this summer.

The house we've been renting for the last 4 1/2 years is in an okay-ish neighborhood but it's tiny (900 square feet) and was built in the 1940s. It's been been sold many times over so a lot of the stuff in the house is from different eras and different styles. None of the renovations have been quality or long-lasting so there are also a ton of things that need to be properly and permanently fixed.

I'd love to have a house with a little more space, like 1200 or 1300 square feet, with either a second living space or a basement for the kids to watch TV and play video games in. I'd love to have a garage to park in, and a separate non-bedroom space for my office now that I have a permanent WFH position. I also really want to have at least one mature tree and a fenced-in backyard so we can finally get the dog the kids have been wanting for ages.

We'll see what happens!
Old 02-02-2021, 06:47 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

What I like: My parents built this house in 1964 in an area that was relatively newly developed. It is a great house for a single person, not too big, not too small and one level with a basement. There is some space between houses but yet close enough that you get to know your neighbors. Seen a lot of different ones over the years! I've spent the last several years purging and updating various areas in the house and outside. Only a couple more things to do.

I have a great neighbor that does my mowing and snow blowing and I've paid him to do some minor fixes around the house.

I like my small town and pretty much have everything I need (and if not there is always Amazon). During the pandemic, I have only ventured out of town 6 times. All things that could not be done here.

What I dislike: It's not major but could be an issue in the future. When this house was built, most houses had basements and the laundry area in the basement. So my washer/dryer are in the basement and as I'm getting up there in age, it could be an issue in the future. There really isn't a good place to put it on the main floor but there is a possible area but I'd have to give up closet space for it. Hopefully, I won't need to do that.

In other words, I love my house and have no plans to move at this time.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We live in a duplex, so sharing a wall with neighbors is my LEAST favorite thing about my house. They've been in the states for the last two months, and it has been BLISS for me. I can sing and yell and be myself in a way I can't when I have to be considerate of others. I also hate that it's so big; more space->more stuff->more clutter->more work for me. Plus, it's 40 years old, and full of termites and all the doors need to be replaced.

I like that we live in a neighborhood where we can walk & the kids can ride bikes & it's quiet, but this is also a down point for me because I would really like to live in community. My dream house is a stilt house in a Muslim community in the Sulu Sea, but that will never be a reality due to kidnapping for ransom being big business in the Sulu Sea. : ( I love our yard, and I love sitting out there in the mornings with my cats and my coffee.

Like most people said, I'm thankful for the good stuff and don't dwell on the bad stuff.

But unlike most people, I would LOVE to move because living in one place too long bores me.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have a nice house - not fancy but with a decent amount of room and it has been a great place to raise a family.

I love the location of our home in our area - there is lighter traffic, close to the freeway and all the shopping within reasonable distance. I love our family room & dining room, the size of our lot, our subdivision, my giant pantry & that we have an office (even if it is on the small side).

What I don't love so much is that there is no bedroom or full bath downstairs - it is a 2 story. If my parents ever needed to come live with us because of mobility issues, it would be a problem. I also feel like our house needs some updating (we have lived in it 25 years) and I don't really see that happening. We have also been taking out a lot of our original landscaping and it feels like our yard is going back to being a blank slate. There is a lot of work ahead to make our backyard particularly into somewhere we want to spend time and I feel bad asking my hubby to do much because he is already working so hard in his job (and he doesn't want to pay anyone else to do it).

However, these are small things, and I am very thankful to have a comfortable home! We are very blessed. I am guessing that we will eventually move into a one story at some point after our kids are all out of the house & my hubby retires.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Like- Our mountain view! We're in a great location- walking distance to school, parks, library, friends' houses, etc. We have an extra family room upstairs where it's nice & warm in the winter. The laundry room is upstairs with the bedrooms!!

Dislike- We don't have a good tree in our yard, so moose don't visit us as frequently as I'd like. Too many streetlights to get a good view of the Northern Lights (neighbors across the street who back up to the park had a good show last night!). Our kitchen drawers are weird/slippery. The toilet in my kids' bathroom is strangely far from the toilet paper holder on the wall LOL... it bothers me every time I go in there
Old 02-03-2021, 11:16 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I like that we are on the top floor of our condos and have a great balcony and views.

I dislike the lack of storage space... especially in the kitchen! And that we are far from the mailboxes
Old 02-03-2021, 10:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love my house. It's a three bedroom ranch with an eat in kitchen, living room and two baths upstairs. The basement is fully finished with a big family room, a 4th bedroom, an office and laundry room.

After my boy left home and my mom passed away, I thought about moving because I am only one person, but I love it, so I am staying.

I have been working on upgrading it room by room for the last few years and love that process. I really enjoy planning it out, picking out finishes and furniture and watching it all come together. I've done the family room and the downstairs bedroom as a guest room, put in new floors throughout most of it, still have the stairs and one bedroom to carpet, redid my bedroom last year, which I love and this year I am going to tackle the kitchen and do a full re-organization on the garage including storage, an outside mudroom space and a garden bench.

I also have a huge fenced in yard which is on my list for a huge makeover in the future and my tiny town of Nappanee, IN is a great place to live and raise a family or have grand pups and eventually grand kids come visit.

There is very little I dislike about it except that it is in a state where it snows and gets really cold. LOL
Old 02-03-2021, 11:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

Well, I have quite a history with my home... I bought the home that I grew up in. I love and hate that, honestly. I was living here with my dad back in 1993 when he died, and since my brother and sister are older and already had homes of their own, I bought them out and stayed here. There are plenty of days when I regret that... I hate that there is only one bathroom and that it seems like there is always something that needs to be fixed. I wish I had a paved driveway and bigger yard. I would love to have a more updated house with new windows (this one was built in 1935).

I do love the connection to my parents though, and I have best friends that still live in town as well, so the location is great. It's close to everything... short drives to the beach, lake or hiking trails. The school system is excellent, and all 3 of my boys graduated from the same high school that I did. I guess that it's not so much the house itself that I love.... but all the things that come with it.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

To be honest, I don't really love the area or the house but as I live practically rent free with family I can't complain too loudly!

Like: being with family and being able to live within my means currently
Tolerate: my neighbours most of the time when they aren't playing music til the wee hours of the night
Hate: having exterior stairs....well actually any stairs to be honest but mostly exterior stairs, being isolated from the road/neighbours, living over an hour plus away from the main city by public transport and probably driving too (I do live in an outer suburb of a major city)....its almost quicker (and way less stressful) to travel to the next major city south than it is to get around my own city.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 02-07-2021, 12:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Love- when we bought our home it was at the very top of our budget & we knew it was a stretch but we were living in my inlaws basement so.we had built up a really good savings & down payment. At the time there were no other houses built past us in the gated community and now there are no more vacant lots. I often joke we are the cheapest house in the neighborhood (not really true) or we're in the cheap seats at the bottom of the hill (some of the house on the top of the hill are million dollar houses!) But it's been a good investment. If we sold now we would double what we paid! Crazy!

I also love our location- just outside of "city" limits but only 5 miles to the freeway & 20 mins to downtown area. We are literally close to everything but still get deer & moose & other wildlife thru the neighborhood.

I love that the kids have lots of other kids to play with in the neighborhood too!

And my most favorite thing- we have an upstairs laundry room (2nd story where the 4 bedrooms are!) It's the best not having to lug laundry up/down stairs!

Lastly I have a love/hate relationship to the size of this house. It's huge. Which means a lot of house to maintain. We just finished our daylight basement last year adding a theater area, kitchenette, bedroom & bathroom so that brings us to 5 bedrooms/4bathrooms! I have an office and the kids have a loft/playroom. It's ALOT to clean. We have definitely talked about downsizing once kids are grown & gone!
Old 02-20-2021, 10:52 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE my home. I love where it is - close enough to my job to walk to work (when I am in work!), but far enough away to keep separate. I can see the see from my office at home and takes a couple of minutes to walk down there. Where we lived before, we didn't have a balcony (they are like extra rooms here!), but now I do and I LOVE it. I sit out there most days - winter or summer!
Old 02-20-2021, 03:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love our neighbourhood, we are friends with most of our neighbours, which is great in the summer when you can get outside. For the house itself I don't like how the living room is split by a walkway (you can't arrange the furniture to have a walkway behind the furniture because of where the entrance to our main level is (bilevel). I would change that if we built it again. I love how many windows we have and the natural light that comes in, and that my office is now upstairs after moving the teenager downstairs.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:40 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Ironically we had planned a remodel for March 2020. It finally happened this fall. So now - now I LOVE my home. It was a perfectly timed reboot since we're all stuck together. Granted it's still a small house and our kids are getting bigger so it's hard to find space away from each other, but a refreshed kitchen and living room have helped lately.
Dislike? I dislike how small the house is -wish we just had an office or a guest room. Wish we had a larger backyard (we have a postage stamp yard). Oh wish we had a normal sized garage that fits todays cars!