Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Facebook Frustrations

I try to keep my full name off anything connected to scrapping. I share so much about my kids on layouts that the idea anyone could find them IRL makes me very nervous. (Yes, I know I'm paranoid, LOL. Not that I think any of you scrappers would do anything with the information, but anyone can browse the gallery or join the FB group.)

But I wanted to be able to participate in the new chatter group. So I followed FB's rules and created an artist page with my forum username that I linked to my main FB page. But now I found out that FB won't let pages join a group, so I'm back to square 1. (Pages can post on other pages and timelines, but not in groups. I don't understand that distinction at all!) I don't want to create a fake duplicate account to join with; knowing my luck, I'll be the person who gets caught and loses all FB access.

Anyone else not part of the FB group, or will I be all by myself here in the forums?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Same thing happened to me Rachel. I'm not a FB person, I'm just not, but I wanted to be able to be involved with and stay up to date on the chatter group too. I thought I could just do it from the store's FB page, but it didn't let me so I had to create a personal account. It annoys me tbh, mostly because I feel like I'm bad at keeping up with it and am not just a personal "sharer". I've enjoyed peeking in every day, but I feel like a creepy lurker or something because i dont post much and definitely dont post updates or likes or any of that stuff LOL.

Anyhow - still in the camp of not the biggest fan of FB, but happy to get to chat with all of you here and there <3
Old 03-13-2014, 12:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use FB mostly for personal connections. Although I do have a few scrapping friends there too. But I 'chat' here in the forum. That said, though, when I post my LO's I always ask myself: would I be happy if this was known to the world? And the neighbor next door, and the minister at our church? Part of my scrapping journey is being able to share heartfelt feelings and come out of my box.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'll still be here...

Last edited by maryinaz; 03-13-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not really a FB fan either... I pretty much only use it for scrapbook related stuff and have never posted anything on my 'personal page' (if that's what you call it). It still irks me a bit that I have my real name there but I don't have any other personal information attached to my profile - I don't even have my real birthdate on there (year yes, but not day or month). So I will still definitely be hanging around here in the forum too!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:58 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I think a lot of us will still be here. The chatter group is a way for us to reconnect with people who have moved away from forums altogether. It's a nice, casual way to keep in touch on the go, but I don't think it will replace the community we have here, so don't worry ladies, you're still in very good company right here!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe FB has a policy of not letting people who's new to post in groups? This might be due to spammers? I don't know, just a theory.

I still prefer chatting here on the forum though, but I love having an SSD group too coz it makes communication faster
Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm very old-fashioned; like, I still love blogs... so yes, I prefer forums to FB. You can find things easier here, and it's just generally nicer. FB seems too rushed and quick, while forums (and yes, blogs) feel like having a quiet, relaxing break. That said, I don't dislike FB - I love social networks - but I tend to use it for different sort of communication, that's all. Maybe a question of habit. So yep, I'm staying here.

Anyway, kudos for having an FB group to make everybody happy! :-)

Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakirahzakaria View Post
Maybe FB has a policy of not letting people who's new to post in groups? This might be due to spammers? I don't know, just a theory.

I still prefer chatting here on the forum though, but I love having an SSD group too coz it makes communication faster
No, new people can post in groups immediately. Pages can't, whether new or not. Pages are meant for businesses and the like. I can understand why Facebook would allow businesses to post to each other and to their customers but not to groups. I can also see why that would be annoying in certain cases.

Can't you hide your location from the general public? Then it wouldn't be visible to members of a group who are not your FB friends.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a big facebook fan, either... so I'll be here, too!!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm on facebook all the time, but I won't be joining the group. They distract me too much.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love Facebook, but I have trouble following along in the groups. LOL!

I'm happy having both outlets.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

While I love Facebook, I am a forums person. I also love blogs & my feed reader. I find chatting in groups on Facebook too confusing & I hate how it floods my inbox with every reply after mine unless I specifically tell it not to do so.

But my Facebook name is not my real name. It's just my first & middle names. DH has serious issues with our last name being online so I've never used it anywhere but Amazon & Paypal. Old friends still manage to find me just fine without my last name (which wouldn't be a name my high school or college friends would know anyway)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in the group but I still plan on posting on the forum. I like that the group is apart of Facebook and we can share our favorite pictures we took that week (for example) & other random things that wouldn't really fit on the forum or that we just haven't done on here before and the forum is still the same.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I honestly spend a lot of time on Facebook but often that is through my phone and when I spend a lot of hours away from my computer (and check FB through my phone, like when I am at work) I tend to just glance through things, so I am sure I miss a ton on the group. I haven't been participating much in the group because by the time I get back to my computer I'm not even sure where to begin for catch-up. So I am still a huge fan of the forums because they tell me what I haven't looked at.

I definitely see a place for both - and am happy to see people wanting to participate in both places, really!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 03-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i didn't even know there was a facebook group

Old 03-13-2014, 12:56 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Adrienne . . . it's pretty new. Come join us!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/711450272232358/

Old 03-13-2014, 02:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You can create an individual page and just use your first and middle names as part of your profile. I have several friends who do this. You can also lock the page down so no one can see anything by public search except for the header thingy (which you can leave blank or use a stock photo for) and your profile photo (same thing).

The SSD group is now a closed group. This means that no one outside of the group will see what's happening inside (although non-members can find the group & see who is a part of it), and it also means that Robin/Traci/an admin will have to approve each member before s/he is allowed to be a part of the group.

I understand your concerns (and I'm sure people will still use the forums here), but maybe that information will put you slightly at ease? I think the chances of a perv joining the SSD FB group is just as likely as a perv finding the SSD gallery and seeing our layouts, kwim?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Glad to hear there will still be people to chat with here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
It annoys me tbh, mostly because I feel like I'm bad at keeping up with it and am not just a personal "sharer". I've enjoyed peeking in every day, but I feel like a creepy lurker or something because i dont post much and definitely dont post updates or likes or any of that stuff LOL
After I went to my 20th HS reunion this fall I vowed to be at least a little better about checking in on FB, because that's the only way I'll keep in touch with those longtime friends. But I've always been "meh" about it and do a lot more liking than posting of my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
That said, though, when I post my LO's I always ask myself: would I be happy if this was known to the world? And the neighbor next door, and the minister at our church?
I feel the same, and it isn't that I'm oversharing. It's that if some crazy person was to take an interest, it would be so easy to pretend to be a family friend or something based on all the little, everyday details we share here. With a name, anyone can look us up in the phone book or online, figure out where my kids go to school, show up at our house, etc. I know I'm a little paranoid, but I've heard too many true scary stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
I'm on facebook all the time, but I won't be joining the group. They distract me too much.
Yeah, I'm finding myself doing too much browsing FB and not enough scrapping the last couple of weeks. I definitely like the forums better for that reason...it's easier to catch up quickly and get offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I understand your concerns (and I'm sure people will still use the forums here), but maybe that information will put you slightly at ease? I think the chances of a perv joining the SSD FB group is just as likely as a perv finding the SSD gallery and seeing our layouts, kwim?
I agree about how slim the chances are and that the gallery and forums here are no different, but here we have the option not to use our last names. And I'm not that concerned about the other info; it's specifically the last name which I feel like makes it way too easy to find people IRL.

I have no problem with the SSD FB group or how its run, or anything like that. It's FB I'm annoyed at. The first thing we teach our kids when they start going online is never to give out their real names to anyone they meet online. I certainly don't feel that adults need to be as cautious as kids, but it annoys me that FB refuses to allow people the option of more privacy. They say they want people to create pages linked to their real accounts rather than a duplicate account if they want to post as a business or interest group or whatever, but then they so limit the ability to do that that I think they push people into just creating the duplicate account.

Anyway, it's nice to see some faces in the forums. Its been pretty quiet here since the birthday celebration ended!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like FB just cause I am on there anyway but I definitely won't stop checking in here. I honestly prefer the forum for forum chatting. I think its just meant to be a little extra addition for us FB addicts. I dont think it could ever really replace the forum here
Old 03-15-2014, 03:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Rach can you just use Scraps as your last name or make something up??
Old 03-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellahBean View Post
Rach can you just use Scraps as your last name or make something up??
That's the duplicate account dilemma. I already have one in my real name, and I want that one to remain as is because I have lots of childhood friends and relatives on it. I haven't risked creating a second account without the last name because if FB catches you both accounts are deactivated. I may do it eventually, especially if scrapping activity continues moving away from forums.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like both options. I am on my phone a lot through the day so it works for me and my schedule but now that I have a new Samsung galaxy note I can see everything and so the forums are now easy for me to read with my old eyes! Lol