Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2022, 03:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We dropped cable (effective a few days ago) and switched to YouTube TV. It's a lot less expensive than cable was. We bought ChromeCast for each TV.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We dropped cable several years ago and have an appletv device for the 2 tvs upstairs and a roku device for the one in the basement to stream everything now. We have a bunch of streaming services and my hubby keeps switching and we have too many in my opinion. Currently we have Netflix (which I want to drop), Disney+ bundle (through Verizon), Discovery+ (through Verizon, will drop when promo ends), Amazon Prime Video, Paramount+ (ends in a few days and I need to decide if I'm keeping it), AppleTV (promo with new iphones), and FuboTV for getting local stations and hubby's sports.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:52 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I don't have cable TV anymore, we have apps: Amazon Prime, and a friend share with us other 2: HBO and other Brazilian app, Globo. here everything costs a LOT, so I'm a Netflix fan!
Old 03-02-2022, 10:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have way too many and spend way too much on it all! DH is a big sports fan and doesn't care how much it costs as long as he can see what he wants when he wants. For him we have DirecTV with some of the sports packages and the ESPN app. The rest of the family really only uses Netflix and Disney+. Because of the bundle (ESPN/Disney+/Hulu) we also have Hulu but rarely use it. We have Amazon Prime for the shipping and music, but only DH watches things on it.

I'm really not a TV person--if I lived alone I could let it all go and probably never miss it. If I had Amazon Prime, it would be plenty for the handful of times a year I want to watch anything. I prefer audiobooks or music when I'm scrapping, cooking, cleaning, etc.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-02-2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:02 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
We dropped cable (effective a few days ago) and switched to YouTube TV. It's a lot less expensive than cable was. We bought ChromeCast for each TV.
Enjoy! I need to watch more on YouTube.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:04 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
We have Cox cable with Tivo. I'd like to cut the cord but DH isn't ready. He prefers to record shows and just have them ready to watch rather than having to jump from site to site to watch his shows. Plus, he subscribes to the hockey channel to get all the hockey games (in the world, it seems like ). We have a package deal with our Cox fiberoptic internet so our internet would go up if we dropped cable. With all we watch and get for free because of cable (e.g., channels like Peacock streaming are free if you have a cable subscription), I'm not sure we'd save enough to make it worth it but I need to sit down and figure it out one of these days.
It's pretty complicated - sometimes I just can't wrap my head around it. I DO miss the ability to record shows, though. I used to record everything and we'd sit at night and watch shows and I'd FF through commercials.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:09 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I actually wonder if the buffering problems I have had at times is because I am the last person along the cable internet line in my neighborhood. I had a lot of problems with internet outages several years ago in early February. Couldn't get anything at all but my neighbors were all fine. Turns out a squirrel had chewed through the line before the area where my connection branched off. We had snow and ice and when warmer temps came and melted the ice on the line, it took out the line. That's when I found out I was the last person along the line.

And, when the schools shut down 2 years ago and students were doing remote schooling, my internet was so slow during the day. Besides others along the line doing remote, my neighbors who also have the same provider had 2 college students and 2 teachers in the house on the internet every day. If I tried to download a kit I bought it took forever. If I waited until after 10 at night, it zipped right along. And, again, my speed was not the slower speed available.
It totally could have been caused by all of the above. I know what you mean because I've seen that buffering. We only have 5 people on our service so it's really good. Our wifi is lightning fast and we get great reception. When all of the kids were homeschooling, where we lived before, I could see a lag in our internet. We lived in a big subdivision with lots of kids. It makes a difference.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:13 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
We have way too many and spend way too much on it all! DH is a big sports fan and doesn't care how much it costs as long as he can see what he wants when he wants. For him we have DirecTV with some of the sports packages and the ESPN app. The rest of the family really only uses Netflix and Disney+. Because of the bundle (ESPN/Disney+/Hulu) we also have Hulu but rarely use it. We have Amazon Prime for the shipping and music, but only DH watches things on it.

I'm really not a TV person--if I lived alone I could let it all go and probably never miss it. If I had Amazon Prime, it would be plenty for the handful of times a year I want to watch anything. I prefer audiobooks or music when I'm scrapping, cooking, cleaning, etc.
I'm not a huge TV watcher either, but my hubby enjoys sitting down for a couple of hours in the evening and watching something. We watch a lot of documentaries and pretty much watch Netflix and Prime. One of the apps has a documentary channel on it. He finds everything I let him hunt away. We have 2 different remotes and it drives me crazy.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:15 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdy View Post
I don't have cable TV anymore, we have apps: Amazon Prime, and a friend share with us other 2: HBO and other Brazilian app, Globo. here everything costs a LOT, so I'm a Netflix fan!
Netflix is great - that and Prime are our favorites.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:19 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepscrappin View Post
We dropped cable several years ago and have an appletv device for the 2 tvs upstairs and a roku device for the one in the basement to stream everything now. We have a bunch of streaming services and my hubby keeps switching and we have too many in my opinion. Currently we have Netflix (which I want to drop), Disney+ bundle (through Verizon), Discovery+ (through Verizon, will drop when promo ends), Amazon Prime Video, Paramount+ (ends in a few days and I need to decide if I'm keeping it), AppleTV (promo with new iphones), and FuboTV for getting local stations and hubby's sports.
You do have a lot, but so do we. We don't watch some of them a lot, but have them. I keep forgetting we have Roku - we had to get that to stream anything before we got broadband installed. Paramount+ is good - I'm going to keep it. I think I'm going to go to the next level to get rid of commercials. Coming from always having cable, we were clueless as to what we needed. Luckily, we had lots of help and got something set up until we got broadband.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:20 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I'm not familiar with Chrome Cast. There are so many now that I can't keep up. It's probably like Roku, I'm guessing. We got that, in the beginning, in order to watch anything.