Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Red face Dealing with CT rejection

So, I've just had my umpteenth rejection for a CT. Even though I try really hard not to, I cry. I get sad & wonder why I'm never good enough. I tell myself not to put myself out there anymore, but I'm an optimist. I just can't help but keep trying. I keep hoping someone will see something in me. I know a lot of you have been through it too. I just needed to get it off my chest.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get depressed after every rejection too, but I've landed some really good CT's that I never would have gotten without putting myself out there. Keep trying and try not to let it get you down!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would first, try not to let it get you down, I always use to get bummed out when I applied for calls. I've been rejected more times than I can count.

Remember, you're scrapping to preserve your memories for you and your family, first and foremost. Scrapping should make you happy, not sad.

That being said, just keep plugging away, I've been digi scrapping for 7 years, It took me 6 1/2 years to finally get a gig here.

Lots of Hugs!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've gotten rejected TONS! I've applied to one designer for years and still haven't made it. Yet that makes me even more determined to scrap better! If I didn't try though I'd never know
Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have gotten soooooo many rejections over the 7 or so years I have been scrapping. It is always hard!!! I think Traci Reed has some great articles about Creative Team gigs:
http://tracireed.com/news/2014/06/7-...creative-team/
http://tracireed.com/news/2014/06/cr...eam-begin-now/
http://tracireed.com/news/2012/12/kn...k-dream-teams/

Also, I agree with everything Vanessa said. Scrapping is for you, and so even when we get those rejections, we just have to keep our chin up and keep preserving our memories. Work on improving skills in lots of areas but don't fret. It takes a lot of time, but hopefully you'll have amazing scrapbooks full of pages you love once you finally land a dream gig!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get rejected a bunch too! But it just takes that one yes. I agree with everyone, remember why you started scrapping in the first place. I find that I often get the gigs I apply for when I stop worrying about what the pages look like and just scrap for me.

It took me a long time to get a gig here (just the past year) and at least 2 years to get my first gig ever. I have been scrapping for about 7 years or so. My first gig was with a brand new designer and I still hang out on her team. You might get rejected if you do apply but you are certain to never get a yes if you don't.

I know it hurts to get the no, I actually cried once but just remembered that we have all gotten a rejection.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

As a designer (at another store) can I say rejecting people sucks too? Okay, that being said I have been rejected many times for CT's myself. It sucks, you aren't alone. ((HUGS))
Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Y'know, even us 'oldies' get rejected, too. I've been doing this for 11 years, and I recently got two rejections that stung. I don't think I'm amazing or anything, but I did think I was 'good enough' for those two particular calls, kwim? I've applied to be a Babe here at least four times and gotten a resounding (but polite! LOL!) 'no' each and every time. I figure if Robin wants me, she knows where to find me!

I try not to take it personally. I know it's hard not to take it personally when you're scrapping abt personal things, but really, there is so much on the back end that you might not know or decisions may have been made that don't have anything to do with you. Maybe the designer was looking for more PL or hybrid scrappers. Maybe she decided to take on less scrappers than she originally advertised. Maybe she wants scrappers that post at a certain site to gain more exposure for her business. Maybe you were 'first runner up,' as it were, on her short list.

If you keep scrapping and you keep applying, you WILL eventually get a CT gig. Promise.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the kind words. I can't tell you how much better you've made me feel.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I look at it this way. If I get rejected it is their loss not mine! I scrap for my family and friends and if they like my pages, that is all that matters!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I've had lots of rejections too but each one is hard to take. When I look back at my first tries I see a lot of things that I wish I would have done. I've been digi-scrapping for 7 years and I'm still learning different techniques. One of the things I had the most trouble with was shadowing so that my pages had depth to them. I started experimenting with different designers shadow styles and I have finally gotten comfortable with my own. I have looked at so many galleries trying to figure out what my pages needed. One thing I have learned is that I must always use MY style and try improving it with every page. One of the things I like most about digi is how easy it is to change and even delete if I don't like something-you can't imagine the messes I made with paper scrapping! hehe Another idea is to use page templates as a guide to a page, it's amazing how many tips I've picked up that way. Don't give up!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Let me just say. It has to be hard on the designers also. I am sure they get many people that apply and they can't say yes to everyone unfortunately
Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think more people get rejected than accepted, so don't let it get you down. I only ever applied to CT for designers I absolutely loved. One thing I did to get ready for CT work, was to look at the layouts that the current CT produced. How was theirs different to mine. Were they clusterers or minimalists? Did they have awesome shadow work? Did they use a lot of patterned paper in a unique way? The designer obviously chose them because she liked their style. Could I compete with that? If my shadows weren't as good, or my composition not as eye catching as the current CT, then the odds are that designer probably wouldn't choose me for her team. That would give me something to work on. We have a lot of tutorials here at SSD that cover a wide range of skills. Look through the and work on any skills you think you could improve on. After 10 years of scrapping, I STILL go through tutorials to learn new things.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I just wanted to echo the other girls. I've been on both sides of the rejection thing, and it stinks either way. I've applied for many teams and contests over the years in both paper scrapping and digital, and I've had more than my fair share of "thanks but no thanks" responses. Heck, I was even turned down as a SugarBabe here the first time I applied. I just kept being persistent and looking for ways to improve my skills and find my own style. Eventually, it paid off!

From the designer perspective, this is a big reason I hate doing calls. I absolutely HATE telling anyone no. When I do have a call, I always end up taking more than I need cause I can't stand the thought of hurting feelings. I do have to say though that sometimes that "no" has nothing to do with your scrapping. For me, it could be a number of things... do I already have someone on my team who does a similar style? How is your photo quality? What about the quality of your actual JPG image? Is it pixelated?

There's really SO much that we think about when it comes to choosing our teams. I know it's hard not to take it personally cause I've SO been there, but I promise, it really ISN'T personal at all.

*HUGS*
Old 08-05-2014, 01:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ouch, that stings! I'm sorry to hear that, but you can't give up! It definitely stinks, and I feel your pain! I got a rejection letter just yesterday as a matter of fact. But ya know what, I LOVE scrapping, and I scrap for myself and my family and THAT has to be what matters most!

One thing that really helped me... I took several online digiscrap classes. They were SO worth the $!!! After my first rejection, it just made me realize that I could definitely learn new things to make my layouts more appealing to myself and to others. Scrapaneers is celebrating their first birthday and are having a sale right now on all of their classes as part of the celebration. They even have a free Keeping It Real class that taught me some awesome simple tricks that help my layouts look more realistic. I think it's definitely worth looking in to!

There is also a group on facebook "peeps who create and designers who need them" where designers or sites post CT calls or even 1 kit calls. You could give that page a look! Don't give up! You'll make it!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I'm with all the others here… I've been digiscrapping for a long time and I still get rejections from CT call. Yes, I do feel sad and disappointed, but, I'd just let it go after some time and try to be better. After all, I'm scrapping for me and my family.

Good luck, babe!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oooh hun that is totally normale
i cn not count the many rejection letters i had it whas more in the beginning of my scrapping
but i still get them from time to time . What a designer is looking for is everytime diffrent and you never
now if you are what they looking for at that moment it will not say that you are not good enough .

Just don't give up keep on trying and one day you be on your dream ct's
p.s traci has some awesome post on her blog about being a awesome ct member
Old 08-05-2014, 04:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with what everyone said. Sometimes it's not personal at all.

I've been rejected many times too, and in my early days when I get rejected, I'd look at the galleries of those who were picked to see what the designers like in a layout. I'd also try to improve myself so I'd be a better scrapper the next time the designer puts out another call.

All the best, and never give up!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I know how you feel! Rejection sucks! I've gotten so many of those dredded e-mails. Now that I'm on a few teams it's a lot easier to take though because I know that there are designers that do think I'm good enough. Hang in there.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Others have said it better, but let me just say that's it's really important that being in a CT is not the first and foremost thing about scrapping. Preserving memories and enjoying the creative process are far more important.

And while a rejection hurts, it's not about you not being good enough, but rather about the designer having other needs at the given time.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I've never applied to any calls here, but I have on other sites and always been rejected and that was years ago anyway, so my skills were pretty bad back then. I do feel like I've improved a lot more but I don't think I would even bother applying to any right now until I have a new camera because I feel like the quality of my photos doesn't even come close to ones of other CT members' although, with that said... we are here to scrap our memories first & foremost! I'm quite happy to keep doing that until I feel the quality of my pages/photos is up to standard! I would try not to get upset, there's a million reasons why they had to turn you down this time, just keep doing what you do & keep trying!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Never give up on trying! I know with my last call I couldn't pick a lot of people that I wanted to because I had a certain number of people I needed to add to my team. I hope many of them will apply again when I have my next call.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Everything that I would say has already been said by these amazing, experienced ladies. I will reiterate that with my nearly 6 years of scrapping, I have been turned down more times that I have fingers and toes. It took me probably close to a year to get accepted to my first CT and after many years learned and many tears (because I cried with every rejection as well) that you really should only apply to calls for designers that you absolutely LOVE and fit your style and tastes. You can apply to so many CT's and then start getting that YES and before you know it, you have way more than you can handle. If you get a no.....take the advice of so many others and study that designer's other CT members styles, techniques, etc. And as Jacinda said, check out those tutorials. We all always have room for improvement.

I too have been on the other end as a designer and no's are SO HARD to send out. Designers really do most of the time wish they could say yes to all applicants and make their day but, there are so many reasons why they have to say no and you should not take it personal. Because you know, I have had designers tell me no that I am great friends with and they seem to love me as a person and compliment my layouts all the time. So, I know they aren't trying to hurt me or saying I am not a good scrapper.

But just don't give up sweets, if you do you will never get the yes's you are wanting. Keep your chin up doll and #1 keep scrapping and improving just because you enjoy it and are preserving your memories.

Hugs!

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Everything I would have said is already written down by the others.
But still I would like to remind you, that you are scrapping to preserve your memories, please don´t forget that. Scrapbooking should be fun, maybe sometimes a little therapy, but no pressure to get better, so that a designer would pick you into her team.
I have been rejected too in these seven years of scrapbooking. But I never was down. I know that there is soooo much talent outthere and every designer loves a different style, or is looking especially for a variety of styles and maybe already has one or two members, who are scrapping like you.
Please don´t let your head hang down. Try it again! And again.
Your day will come and I´m sure that you´ll get in CT you´ve never dreamed of.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Have you tried any One kit calls? That could get you some experience, and try out different styles, and also get your name out there with some of the designers. Good luck! There is a facebook group called Peeps who want to create and designers who need them--and lots of designers advertise there for one kit calls. Lots of times, the designers that have those calls will eventually have a call, and if they know your work, they might call on you!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't read all the replies yet but I think that's why I don't apply to CT calls...I'm not very good with rejection. I have been on some awesome teams in the past. But I don't think you should give up...keep trying.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, I get rejected still plenty, more times than I can count for my dream gig *cough cough* but one thing that has truly improved my scrapping has been getting to a place where I am not trying to impress anyone I am scrapping in a style that makes me happy and that I love, every single page I make is something that goes in our own family books. If it is what a designer is looking for... awesome. If not, its ok I dont take it personal anymore. Just remember it doesn't mean you are not good enough, just not what someone needs right now ... that same designer my be looking for a different style scrapper next time. Just do what makes you happy hun <hugs>
Old 08-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think you've gotten a whole heck of a lot of good advice already. I just wanted to chime in and say I personally think scrapping your own style and learning techniques that make you happy with your pages is the best route to go. Not only will you be happy with your pages but any designer that picks you to represent them down the road will be happy with your style too. You won't be creating layouts just for the sake of creating a layout - that's totally not the point of this hobby.

Also, you have remember that when a designer picks a CT they are picking people who have styles that represent their brand or at least an idea of their brand and style. They need people who can create layouts quickly and come up with unique ideas in their own styles. Developing your own style, being part of a community, commenting on other layouts in the gallery, getting comments on your layouts (or Pins on Pinterest), and maybe starting a blog to share your layouts or techniques. Those are all things that are part of being on a CT and at the same time are things you can do yourself to build exposure to your layouts and to you.

Everyone gets told no, styles come and go, we all evolve....but foremost we must remember that we scrap for ourselves and our families, to preserve memories...being on a CT is nice, but it's not a requirement for this hobby. Nor is it validation that your work is good. Only you and your family can judge that - so don't feel bad that you've gotten some no's. If your family is enjoying your work and you are enjoying your work then the rest will come.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It sucks, it just does. There are all kinds of reasons and things that come into play that have nothing to do with worthiness or talent. Keep putting yourself out there and try ( it's really hard ) not to take it personally. I do think it's really important to be true to yourself and scrap and participate in the community in a way that makes you happy first and foremost.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Oh, so many rejections. We can all sympathize with how you feel . . . believe me! But, everything the other girls have said is true. Just keep trying to improve yourself, make pages that YOU love, and keep putting yourself out there for the designers you really love. You'll start getting those yeses you're after. (((HUGS)))

Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
being on a CT is nice, but it's not a requirement for this hobby. Nor is it validation that your work is good.
THIS! I have to remind myself this all the time. My kids love their books, even the pages that were from when I was just started out and didnt even have shadows. I'm doing it for them! Remind yourself what you're doing it for and everything else will just be added happy stuff

Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm in the rejection boat with you. Don't worry...I brought margaritas. :thumb up:

I've only ever applied for 2 CT calls, so I really wasn't expecting a 'yes' yet. I'm sure I'll get rejected several dozen more times before I get accepted. I don't take it personally. The designers have to pick just a couple of people out of SO MANY incredibly talented scrappers here. Just know...the more you scrap, the better you get! Keep at it! You'll get there! And when you leave me in the boat by myself, you better leave some margaritas behind. ;-)

Gallery
Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is always hard to be rejected. You just have to keep on developing your style, keep scrapping, and be happy with what you do. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Like everyone here, I've been told no SO many times. It's never easy...

Some you apply to the first time just so they can recognize your name and watch you grow and blossom. They'll know you love their designs. If they have challenges, participate in them. Give them every opportunity to get to know you.

Applying for a guest call is an excellent way to get a feel for whether you are a good fit for a certain designer. Sometime you don't know until you see how their deadlines work with your own personal schedule.

Like others have said, I believe designers are often looking to fill voids in their team that are style specific. They could already have several team members that create in a style like yours. But somewhere out there is a designer that needs someone just like you. I say don't be afraid to apply to a designer whose personal style is perhaps minimalist when you might not be. I can say that worked for me! She wanted someone who was a little different so potential buyers might have a little glimpse into their own style in her CT gallery.

It took me well over a year to get my first CT. Don't stop trying. Don't think you're not good enough (because we are all the absolute BEST person to tell our own stories, there is NO ONE that can do that better than we can), think of it as just not a good fit right now.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I totally know the feeling but can't imagine how hard it would be on the other side of the coin as well. I started digiscrapping 9 years ago and have been on three CT's, including one longer term CT for a store, in that time. I haven't applied as many times as I probably should have to CT's because I was scared of rejection though. Honestly, I think that was the WRONG way to go. Although I agree with only applying to CT's of designers that you love, I found that when I didn't hesitate to apply, I was surprised at the outcome.

My biggest problem is I will see the call, say "Okay, I'm going to apply!" and then nitpick through my gallery and think "I don't have enough good layouts" or "I have too many average layouts" and then I set out to make better ones. I am never satisfied though and end up getting discouraged and either throwing in the towel and applying with what I have or more often than not, getting discouraged and not applying at all. The other outcome is that I think "hey, I've got a great chance at getting a spot this time, my gallery looks nice and looks like it's the style the designer wants" and then I get hit with that awful rejection letter again. I haven't been on a CT in three years and am anxious to get back to creating for someone. I hope you don't get too discouraged. The best advice I can give you is to keep applying because you never know when you get that one yes that will make it all worth it.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellahBean View Post
There is also a group on facebook "peeps who create and designers who need them" where designers or sites post CT calls or even 1 kit calls. You could give that page a look! Don't give up! You'll make it!
i was going to suggest this group too. The designers post a lot of one kit calls that would be a good way to get "in" with the designer. Once you've been given an opportunity, hopefully you can hook up for more permanent work. Also guest CT calls are another good avenue.

We've all been where you are. It is very hard not to take it personally. Traci's articles (linked in Crystal's response) and Libby's points about photo quality and lo pixelation are really good advice too.

Good luck and keep trying!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:15 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hugs to you! Hang in there and keep trying

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Do you know how many years I was rejected over and over and over again before I finally got these dream teams I have now? lol I've been scrapping since 2006, think about how many rejections. And even with these dream teams, I still get turned down. You will get a team and with time you will start getting the teams you are dreaming of. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It definitely takes a thick skin to put yourself out there for CT calls. I think the girls mostly have it covered, but there's one more thing I wanted to add. Most of us get a little down when we're rejected, and after a few hours or days we get over it. But every once in a while I get the sense that someone is so affected by the rejection(s) that it taints their feelings about scrapping. I don't think you're feeling like that, but if anyone is I'd encourage them to step back from the calls and try to get back to what they loved about scrapping in the first place. Being on a CT can be fun, but there's nothing wrong with scrapping purely for yourself.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

is it bad when i say that i've been rejected and it didn't hurt? being on a ct is wonderful and it makes life sweeter but then it's just a bonus and not my life purpose.
okay, it's a precious bonus. :-)
still my scrapping is not worth more because i am on cts. in the end all that matters is, that >i< like my pages and have all the fun and continue on my creative path. and if others don't like it... i want to scrap on either way.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Hi, Jess. I completely understand how you feel. It does hurt, and we always think we aren't good enough, but something I've learned from my rejections... many times it has to do with style vs. skill. I've applied for CTs where I love the designers kits but I don't scrap they way that they prefer. In the end, when I scrap its about my memories and what I like, and if it fits with a designer's vision for his/her kits, great, and if not, at least I have pages I love. Hang in there!

CTing for Kelly Bangs Creative
Old 08-08-2014, 12:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I would first, try not to let it get you down, I always use to get bummed out when I applied for calls. I've been rejected more times than I can count.

Remember, you're scrapping to preserve your memories for you and your family, first and foremost. Scrapping should make you happy, not sad.

That being said, just keep plugging away, I've been digi scrapping for 7 years, It took me 6 1/2 years to finally get a gig here.

Lots of Hugs!
DITTO!!! I applied to several designers here at least 3 times EACH before I finally got a spot!!! Hang in there!! Keep scrapping, keep preserving your memories and keep scrapping for YOU!!!!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think everything has been already said, I just wanted to add something that reminds me what's really essential regarding this hobby: in 20, 30, 40 years, what will matter most? The fact that you've preserved lots of memories of your life and the life of your family and created lots of layouts that you and your family loves, or the fact that you've been to XY creative teams?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hugs. It's hard! Keep your chin up, and keep trying! We all scrap our memories and will treasure those and our books/pages, I think we all look at getting a CT gig as a pat on the back, so to speak. It takes time, and for me, lots of learning and improvement on my pages.

I've received many rejections,and they always hurt. I actually hardly apply anymore. If I do, usually it is a guest call, and a lot of times, end up staying! I'm afraid, plain and simple. I don't take rejection well at all, and don't have the confidence. My other talents are usually what get me a CT spot (Tutorials, Ads/FB Admin), so I'm leery of layout artist calls. Maybe try working for a team in that capacity first? Just a thought!

Hugs and good luck on the next call you apply too!