Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Need some recipee help

My daughter's best friend was diagnosed as diabetic a week ago. The family is stressed out and I feel helpless. I can offer so many hugs and cry right along with the mom, but I'd like to send something over for them because their focus is so much on their daughter and what she is eating. Anyone have tried and tested diabetic meals? Oh and to really complicate things - no eggs or peanuts. The poor kid is allergic (highly) to both.

But I will say - both our daughters are handling it well with one another. We've educating one another on what happens and what she needs to go through for this. And my daughter is all in asking questions and hers is interested in showing off all the stuff. She's watched what the mom does when it time for testing.

They are seven and eight.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Steph - I'm sure this family appreciates your understanding and support. I had a co-worker whose son was diagnosed a few years ago. He was 11. At first it took some time for them to determine the right insulin dose and they were all obsessed with calculating sugars and carbs. So anything you take you want to provide the carbs/sugar per serving and serving size so they can do their calculations. Over time this will be easier for them, but I remember at the beginning it was so overwhelming for my friend.

All Recipes has some great diabetic recipes. Here's a link: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/health...iets/diabetic/
Here's one specifically for kids: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/recipes/

One of the biggest challenges for my friend's son was school. You don't really realize how often teachers use candy as an incentive to kids. Plus school holiday parties, class celebrations, etc always seem to revolve around food and usually food that a diabetic can't have. We created a big basket full of healthier snacks for him to have at home. Things like beef jerky, Goldfish crackers, popcorn, sugar free candy, etc. We gave it to him right before Halloween and we did another one right before Easter.

Keeping the same kind of snacks at your house for when she comes to visit would be great too.

I bet that what that mom needs most is someone to talk to, to empathize with her, to remind her that her child will still lead a normal life even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

Last edited by julifish; 03-26-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

It's soooo much about carbs really. Carbs and natural sugars. Jeff is Type 2, and my grandmother was type 1.

I will dig up my links and pm you some stuff tomorrow.