Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-31-2017, 07:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you like camping?

We used to go camping all the time when I was a kid but now that I'm an adult, I'm not a huge fan. I can't sleep on the ground, camping in AZ is too dusty and I guess I just don't really get the point of setting it all up when I could just sleep at home!

How about you? Do you like camping? What's your camping style -- backpacking? Tent? Camper? Where do you go?
Old 05-31-2017, 08:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We do. We tent camp 1-2 times a year. I have already been on 4th Grade and Girl Scout Camp with my 9 year old this year.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We tent camp in Florida. We have a double high air mattress which I sleep great on. We usually go places that have water and electricity right at the site, but some times that is not the case. It's fun to kind of rough it - cook food over a fire or our camp stove, walk with flashlights, have a fire, etc. The key for me is finding something fun to do during the day and it has to be cool out. I don't camp April - October because it's just too darn hot here!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love camping! Although the first time I experienced this was when I was married already (2013) and I loved it I really hoped I did it before. Even though it was sticky on the feeling because it was summer, the sound of the crickets and people around singing with the guitar strumming was really cool! We cooked our food using woods, we brought our tent and water. Oh and my daughter's milk, she's 2 at that time. We camped in a 45 minute boat ride, no cell recption, just pure nature.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love camping too! I haven't done as much as I'd like to since marriage/kids - maybe once a year now (minus the husband because he doesn't like it). I worked out one time that I'd spent the equivalent of between 1-2 years in a tent when I added up all my camping trips - some of them were long (like 2-3 months) when I was travelling my way around the world. Alot of my camping has been in places without running water, electricity or even toilet facilities!! So yeah, rough camping out in the bush/wilderness, cooking on campfires (or gas stoves that we bring with us)... but not so remote that a warm shower and flushing toilet weren't more than a couple of nights away!!
Old 05-31-2017, 11:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ummmm...weeeeeeeeeeell....I could totally do without it. My hubby loves to camp though. We usually camp every year for Father's Day and that's about the only time I camp (well...tent camping). We take cots so that we aren't on the ground. I just don't enjoy it much the older I get.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've only been once or twice, when I was a Girl Scout and my troop camped. These days, we're the kind of family who enjoys going out hiking for a few hours but would much rather return to our house afterward. My daughter's Brownie troop is going for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I'm going as one of the chaperones. I'm sure we'll have fun, but I can't see it changing our attitude toward camping.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to - LOL Now that I'm older my idea of camping is a room at the Hilton

But I don't mind RVing at all. I grew up RVing a lot and DD and I took a month-long RV trip across country 4 summers ago, which was awesome. I like RVing because I can still do the campfire/outdoor cooking thing but sleep in a comfy bed with AC and no bugs. We also have a camp on a lake and I love that kind of camping too - big fire pit, the lake at night, etc. but I can have my wifi and bed

Growing up in Maine though I did a ton of tent camping and even outdoor camping and loved it. I even used to hike parts of the Appalachian Trail here in Maine/New Hampshire and sleep out in the open or in a lean-to.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up tent camping and have been a handful of times since being married. I would LOVE to have a camper though! I think that would be nicer- not having to spend so much time setting up and taking down, everything in a nice organized spot, more comfortable. My dream is to buy a camper when we retire, and travel all over the US in it! I love traveling, so that just seems a great way to travel an still see so much!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:52 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My back is too bad to sleep on the ground + I don't pee in the woods like an animal so I don't mind camping as long as there's a pop-up for me to sleep in + real bathrooms nearby.

This is why I haven't gone camping with DH & his son the last couple of summers. He's planning on taking DD & my nephew this year, and I'll be staying home with DS until we can afford a pop-up camper.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nope... dislike the outdoors. My idea of roughing it is staying at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The last time we went "car" camping (a place you can drive to & set up a tent), we were assigned a camping spot that turned out to be right between the restrooms on one side and an RV on the other. The RV had some motor that ran all night for power or AC or something, so all we heard was that and their TV, and people heading to the restroom. It was sort of lakeside -- there was a small hill down to the lake. We found a dirty diaper in the lake right below us. That was the last time I've been camping. I do like backpacking, though, where you can actually get AWAY from people.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like camping but it always feels like so much work. Also I'm a wimp and there's only a small window where it's doable for me because it's too damn hot here.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We camp - with a trailer lol. The trailer is a place to sleep and carry all our junk lol! We are going for 18 days straight this summer - a lot of it "dry" (no services or power)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-01-2017, 01:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would camp if I had an RV or trailer that had a kitchen, bed, bathroom and AC. No tent for me.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I love camping. Used to go as a kid over Thanksgiving break. Right after thanksgiving dinner my mom and stepdad packed us all up and we drove out to the east coast on Indian or Banana River in Brevard County (Florida) and we would take a boat across to an island and pitch the tent. Back then it did not feel as hot. My brothers had a small tent and all of us girls had a big two room tent with the girls on one side and my mom and stepdad on the other. Ive only went camping somewhere away from home as an adult once but we have pitched the tent outside a couple times in the yard and we just camp out there. If we cant sleep or need anything we just go inside. Like Juli here I would not go from like April to October (at least). Oh and we usually camped at primitive campgrounds in a tent (no power, running water, etc).

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yep, love camping and around here it's always RV style. We have a 38 foot travel trailer and although I love it, I sometimes find that it's alot of work. It's like shopping for another house LOL!
Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We love camping, now that all the kids are older we hope to go more often. We tent camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
I like camping but it always feels like so much work. Also I'm a wimp and there's only a small window where it's doable for me because it's too damn hot here.
Yes, this exactly here too.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had to laugh when this popped up on my facebook yesterday. It's a Scary Mommy article from a woman who hates camping. She nailed a lot of my feelings about it.

http://www.scarymommy.com/i-hate-cam...lly-with-kids/
Old 06-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up in AZ. We camped a lot there, but the experience sure wasn't the same as camping here in KS.

Here we have to deal with bad weather though. Several times we've went camping with clear forecasts and had to pack up everything in torrential downpours and during lighting showers because of severe weather. Once our tent nearly blew away with us inside.

That said, I love camping. I like being outdoors and enjoying nature and the feeling of getting away from it all. It is a lot of work to prepare for, but we enjoy it. Now that we live in the country, the kids camp right in the yard. We have a pond behind our house and they have their choice of prime camping spots. A lot less prep since they can run up to the house for what they need, but they still love it.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Not really. We bought a camper to go often, it makes my hubby and 2 younger kids happy. But my teenager and I are pretty miserable the whole time. It's much better when we go with friends.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I used to. Before kids darcy and I camped a bit (tent camping)

Where I live though all the campsites are use by people to just go and drink and party or go boating with stupid loud music. I don't know.. I miss the days of going to a nice quiet campsite and relaxing
Old 06-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say pretty much anyone that knows me would not ever use the word outdoorsy to describe me.

That said, I camped for over 4 years with my son when he was a cub scout. I think my best friend lost $20, LOL. I was never a minimalist camper, we had a HUGE tent and carried lots of crap with us even for a 2 night gig. I never got used to sleeping on the air mattress or hiking to the bathroom to pee. My son, however, loves camping and has camped often since then. I was thrilled when boy scouts didn't really have parents attending. Woo hoo!