Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-18-2021, 03:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default ISO/ Kit Request/ Go-to Items

I like to use one kit for a page. But there are so many times that I find myself digging through my folders for some basic item that's not in the kit. (It's often on the template, so it's in my head that I *need* this item and can't move on without it )
Every time, I say I need to keep a list of where my favorite basic items are---but I never do, so I think it would be amazing if a wonderful designer made a kit full of those simple, basics go-to items, all in one place.
I'd also love to hear what go-to basics you go for & feel free to tell me where you find your favorites while I wait for this dream-supply kit to be made

Things I often find myself needing to go "off-kit" for-
"bright" white paper (I love for matting photos)
staples
hanging tags on strings and also not on strings
stitches, especially a page border but also long & short lines
silver/gold/white/black brads
neutral, simple alphas (big & small for title/subtitle)
lace/paper doily
Old 03-18-2021, 03:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to be a staple-a-holic. Loved them! You know what I really would like, foliage with three leaves that fit Cindy's templates. Often the leaves are too far down the stem, or bent weird, etc. I use Cindy's templates so much, and it seems that I'm always searching for the perfect foliage to go in that spot.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Found some good essentials in the shop that are fairly flexible for most pages:

Old 03-18-2021, 04:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My go-to items would be stamps, splatters, paints, string and stitches (I do a lot of boy pages). When I use a template, I always delete all of the cluster layers and do my own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I used to be a staple-a-holic. Loved them! You know what I really would like, foliage with three leaves that fit Cindy's templates. Often the leaves are too far down the stem, or bent weird, etc. I use Cindy's templates so much, and it seems that I'm always searching for the perfect foliage to go in that spot.
To get around this issue, I will place the leaf part where I want the leaves to be and then erase the stem if it sticks out too far.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:38 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

If you have some go-to items, create a Go-to Faves folder (or whatever you want to call it lol) and put shortcuts for your fave items inside. That way you can easily click right to what you want while keeping it in its original folder (so you can correctly credit).

You can add to it as you scrap. Not that you shouldn't find fun stuff to buy from other posters' recs, of course!

Last edited by Tree City; 03-18-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I feel you. There's a bunch of things I want now after Jacinda's post.

I wish designers would add tags to all of their kits because Cindy uses them on her templates.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love when you all post things like this because now I am making a list of "go to items" for kits. It's this designer's dream to know what you want, which is why you find me asking a lot of questions.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Foliage, y'all. I need more and more and more, lol! I really appreciate when designers have leaves & foliage in more than one shade of green, too. OR I need something long and tall that can go in floral clusters in place of foliage, like candles or curly ribbons.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:51 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

For me a basic need in every kit is lots of papers both solids and patterns. I tend to use lots of paper on my layouts from matting photos to clipping papers to shapes. And, I like variety because then I'm not using the same papers over and over in multiple page layouts!

Oh, yeah, at least one of the patterns has got to be plaid. I use plaid on 99% of my layouts!
Old 03-19-2021, 11:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I used to be a staple-a-holic. Loved them!
I feel so silly when I'm in search of "the perfect staple", LOL. "Too shiny. Too thick." It makes me feel like I have a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Found some good essentials in the shop that are fairly flexible for most pages:
Thanks! Those are some good finds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
When I use a template, I always delete all of the cluster layers and do my own thing.
That would help me get past the "need one of those right here!" thing! I usually delete small groups as I go, but by that time, I've looked at that little hangy-tag or doily for too long to not want to put one there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
If you have some go-to items, create a Go-to Faves folder (or whatever you want to call it lol) and put shortcuts for your fave items inside. That way you can easily click right to what you want while keeping it in its original folder (so you can correctly credit).
Fantastic idea!! It would be like having my very own kit full of my favorite "basics"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I wish designers would add tags to all of their kits because Cindy uses them on her templates.
Yep, I go through this often, but a tag on a Cindy template is what pushed me to post this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I love when you all post things like this because now I am making a list of "go to items" for kits. It's this designer's dream to know what you want, which is why you find me asking a lot of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
Foliage, y'all. I need more and more and more, lol! I really appreciate when designers have leaves & foliage in more than one shade of green, too. OR I need something long and tall that can go in floral clusters in place of foliage, like candles or curly ribbons.
Yes! More long and tall things would be great! And I love the kits with some foliage variety...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
For me a basic need in every kit is lots of papers both solids and patterns. I tend to use lots of paper on my layouts from matting photos to clipping papers to shapes. And, I like variety because then I'm not using the same papers over and over in multiple page layouts!
I find that I'm usually pretty happy with the papers provided in a kit and yes, when there's a good variety, I can use the same kit again & again... just sometimes I'm really missing that basic white "cardstock" that I'd use for photo matting or journaling.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:55 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
I find that I'm usually pretty happy with the papers provided in a kit and yes, when there's a good variety, I can use the same kit again & again... just sometimes I'm really missing that basic white "cardstock" that I'd use for photo matting or journaling.
I've got an on-going project that is a year in the making and I'm using the same kit all year so I looked in my stash for a kit with lots of papers so each monthly layout can be different. I finally settled on one that has 8 solids and 44 patterned papers. It also has 94 elements and 13 alphas... a lot of variety so my pages all won't look alike. I'm thankful I bought it before the designer retired it several years ago! It has been a go to kit many times.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

Loving these ideas! I definitely need a go-to white card stock - too often, the color isn't quite as bright as I'm looking for. Totally agree on the variety of foliage, too.

Love the idea of setting up a folder with the favorites in it. Thanks for these ideas!

Old 03-19-2021, 01:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do like a good white paper too! Sometimes kits are too beige for me.

Quote:
If you have photoshop you should try the puppet warp for your foliage. I sometimes will edit the leaves to pull them in one direction or another, like closer to the stem if possible. It's a nice little tool.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

These basic packs used to be so popular. Seems to out of style now.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Another vote for varied foliage in the kit. And a staple. lol Sometimes a kit doesn't have a staple and I'm like, "Am I going to give credit to another kit just because I used a staple?" lol I probably have. I like the option of a straight, wide ribbon/lace that goes all the way across as well as shorter curled ribbons. And a bow or two. Or more. And a blank word strip that matches the style of the included word strips that already have words.
And, and, and... lol
Old 03-19-2021, 04:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I do like a good white paper too! Sometimes kits are too beige for me.

If you have photoshop you should try the puppet warp for your foliage. I sometimes will edit the leaves to pull them in one direction or another, like closer to the stem if possible. It's a nice little tool.
Thanks! I use Photoshop Elements. I'll look around for that tool, but it may only be available in the full Photoshop.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:05 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

LOVE this thread, so many great suggestions in here. I really need more textured solids! Some solid papers are a bit flat and I find I default the ones that have grain or texture in them.
I'm also adding another vote to the varied foliage/leaves need!
Old 04-06-2021, 02:48 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Did you see this from Ru?

Old 04-06-2021, 03:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This is a great pack and I used to have Ru's black and white papers as well, they might have been discontinued but I've found this :

Old 04-06-2021, 08:07 AM
Banned

profile gallery

I made a "favorites" folder for all my go-to items, too. I love a good, crisp white paper, and other neutrals like a black that still has a bit of texture to it and a nice kraft paper that isn't all wrinkled. I hated that wrinkled paper trend.

I agree with the leaves! Please don't plop a single leaf in there and think it's the same as a stem with multiple leaves on it! I look through some of my old kits (as I'm organizing) and I'm amazed at how many don't even have a leaf of any kind, but have 15 flowers. Nope.

I also like a pack of basic solids that match the kit. SOLIDS without patterns. Texture and some brushing still work, but sometimes I get a kit that says a paper is solid, but there it is with grids on it or damask. That's not solid.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:51 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a favorites folder, and it has saved me so many times! Actually, I have a few favorites folders. One for paper, one for miscellaneous elements, one for flowers and foliage, one for fasteners, and one for wordart. When I unzip a kit, before I move it out of my downloads folder I take a quick look through and see if there's anything that needs to be copied to a favorites folder. If there are a lot of things (like a kit with many stunning flowers), I copy the preview instead of the items.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:33 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
I also like a pack of basic solids that match the kit. SOLIDS without patterns. Texture and some brushing still work, but sometimes I get a kit that says a paper is solid, but there it is with grids on it or damask. That's not solid.
YES!

I love to use solids for my background and I will admit I am not a fan or white or cream for the background. I like color. Why do I use solids... well, I tend to journal right on the background (not a fan or journaling cards at all). I also like to use the solid to mat the photos. My favorite template designer has matting with her photos on the majority of her layouts so I can just clip the paper to it and go. But I use the patterned paper for about everything else. Although there are times when a photo spot works quite well for the journaling but again I use a solid paper usually a lighter color that is not cream or white since I have a hard time reading anything on dark paper (or patterned paper).
Old 04-06-2021, 02:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Oh, a little hangy tag! Adding to cart!
Old 04-08-2021, 07:37 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I agree with most everything in this post and love all the kits found and shared. I use daisies and “flat” flowers a lot! I am constantly looking for some in a variety of colors. Also, I scrap mostly boy pages so more neutral items are on my want list.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love a good string....curly thin strings are fun. Sometimes a ribbon is too fat or flat....

Lots of flowers in different colors (I use them even on my boy layouts), variety of greenery

I also like to have simple stitches or a staple.

I love solid cardstocks. I have been known to make my own if a kit doesn't have them.

Wordbits are fun too...I love to add them to my layouts...probably too much