Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-31-2021, 01:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default After you unzip...

Let's say you unzip a kit that comes with the folders-- kit-pp, kit-ep01, kit-ep02, kit-ap, kit-pc, kit-previews

If you keep your kits together:
Do you "empty" all the folders into your folder for the kit? Or do you have 7 folders within the folder? Or do you do something else, like combine just the 2 embellishment folders?

And what do you like/dislike about the way you do it?
Old 08-31-2021, 01:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I combine most into the main elements folder & keep separate papers, cards, alphas folders. I will usually add the word bits, paints or any of the extra folders into the main ellies folder since I hate searching for things in folders, I prefer most in the same folder. Also- I delete TOU & extra previews too. I don't mind doing it- it's usually pretty fast when I unzip & then move to my TO-USE folder (if I purchased) or my CT folder (creative team responsibility.)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I combine the "kit" and then keep cards, splatters, etc in separate folders.

What do you do, Rebecca?
Old 08-31-2021, 06:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I combine it all in one folder except Alphas & Cards. They stay in their folder inside of the kit folder. It's easy. There's not anything I don't really like about my way. The tous are deleted and the ONE kit preview becomes the folder icon. All other previews are deleted.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The alphas are in their own folders inside one main folder. I like to scroll through a folder and see everything at a glance. The only problem I've had doing it this way is sometimes an add on or freebie will have the same file names as something in the main kit, so I have to rename it. Otherwise, I like having less folders.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I also combine all the elements, word art, mixed media into one folder, all the papers in another, and keep the alphas and cards in their own folders. I rename a preview in my preferred format and keep that as the only preview, and I also save it separately in a preview folder of all my kits so I can just scroll through to see what I have. THAT is becoming cumbersome, lol, so now I just search through the shop if I need something and then I go look to see if I have it.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:12 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I always unzip everything in to their "right" folders - all elements (journal cards, painty bits, wordy bits, etc) all go in the same "elements" folder. All different types of papers will go in to their own "paper" folder. If there are a couple of different alpha styles, I will separate them by style/color in to their own folder as the alpha always has their own folder to begin.

Why do I do this? It's so I see EVERYTHING in one place. When I open all of the elements, I go through and open what I think I want to use on my layout or what elements I like or want to try with my layout. Sometimes I open 25 elements at a time, sometimes I open 2/3 of the folder to use on my layout. If I have to go through each of the unzipped folders, it's more time consuming and cuts in to my thought process of what I want on the layout and I don't feel like my layout is cohesive as it cut in to the creativity process going through each of the folders.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
Yeah, I also combine all the elements, word art, mixed media into one folder, all the papers in another, and keep the alphas and cards in their own folders. I rename a preview in my preferred format and keep that as the only preview, and I also save it separately in a preview folder of all my kits so I can just scroll through to see what I have. THAT is becoming cumbersome, lol, so now I just search through the shop if I need something and then I go look to see if I have it.
Yes!!! Me too!!! I needed a mail kit and instead of going through each of my designers folders, I just searched the store and found the one that I was thinking of but didn't know which designer made the kit!

I also delete the TOU (I keep one per designer so I have it in their folder), But I also keep the individual previews (elements, papers, alpha, wordy bit, etc) in their right folder and toss the bundle preview because it's too small to see in the folder at a quick glance. I always rename the kit preview to "folder" if there isn't one with that name already.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I combine it all most of the time, sometimes I am just lazy. LOL!!!

Old 08-31-2021, 08:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I leave as is. I never thought to do it any differently. LOL

I also shop the shoppe for Kits and then see if I have it.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

After unzipping, I empty all folders to put all in the elements one except alpha I keep it in the folder and put it in the elements folders too, template and glitter action if there's one.
I rename the preview image "folder" and that's all. I use the biggest view when I scroll my files.
That's seems the best way for me right now except I wonder if I'm not going to sort my files in theme folder?
The bad part to me is the process is very long and I try to be careful when I copy/paste in the main folder.
And I'm really reassured to know that Ally and Wendy goes to the store to search a kit, I do the same!
What are you doing Becca?
Old 08-31-2021, 08:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just search my previews when I'm looking for something. I used to use Adobe Bridge and tagged each kit preview with different themes, etc...but I hate going to one place then back to another...like Wendy, I feel like it cuts into my scrapping time.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:12 AM
Banned

profile gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
I combine it all most of the time, sometimes I am just lazy. LOL!!!
Same.
Sometimes I'm good about putting everything in one folder all neat and tidy, but other times I just toss all the folders into the designer folder and call it a day.

When I'm being neat, I'm like most. I combine all of the elements (except cards and alphas) into one folder, all of the papers into one folder and delete all the extra previews, TOUs, etc.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For a kit, I empty the elements and papers into one folder. I keep the alpha in it's own folder. If it's a bundle, I keep the cards, mixed media, etc. in their own folders, so I know what's in the main kit and what's extra when crediting in the gallery.

I like seeing the whole kit together. I don't mind going into subfolders if I'm looking for paint or a card, because I'm looking for something specific and I don't want to sort through the entire collection to find the one thing I'm looking for.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:53 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Each kit has its own folder under a designer folder. Everything from the kit except alphas or templates if applicable are in that folder. Alphas are in a sub-folder. Preview is copied to the Designer folder then the one in the kit folder is renamed to "folder".

All previews in designer folder have a specific format so may have to be renamed. I have an abbreviation for every designer and use that with more of the actual kit name. In other words I want the preview to be named so it somewhat matches the kit folder.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just unzip and leave it as is. I never thought of doing it any different! I think if they were all in 1 folder combined it would overwhelm me. The first thing I add after photos are papers, and if I had to scroll through all the elements to get to the papers, I would either get distracted by the elements or overwhelmed just trying to get to the papers. I like them seperated so I am looking at things in stages.

However, for templates, sometimes the psd files and the tiff or jpeg are seperate, or there will also be png files. I delete the png, and make sure the psd and tiff/jpeg are together! I like to have a little preview of each template right next to it so that I can find what I want quickly.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I leave it zipped until I need to use it. Then I unzip as is but if there is more than one element or paper I combine those and i always put word art and cards in with elements.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I create a folder with the kit name, put the zipped file in there and then unzip all the folders under that main folder. I preview and select product from my acdsee software. I like to open the main folder and then see the subfolders so I can quickly select the paper, element, etc folder for viewing.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I create a new folder with the kit name and designer then I put all the papers, elements, cards, paints etc in that one folder. Alpha is in a subfolder usually. I used a catalog system so I have tons of tags...If I am looking for something specific I can search that item like frogs and it will show me all the kits with frogs.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My kit folder has all of the papers and the preview(s) with ALL of the elements in a separate subfolder. I prefer alpha sheets and will delete alpha folders if there's a sheet to keep instead. Alpha sheets go in the main folder alongside the papers and preview(s). Otherwise there is an alpha subfolder that I will put all of the alphas in a kit into.

I aim to have as few folders as possible.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used to have everything in one folder but with my catalog, that doesn't work so now I have the kit & extras all in different folders. The kit does usually have three folders in it: alpha, elements & papers and there is a folder for the solids in the paper folder. Am I still making sense ?? LOL If there are 2 element folders...I do combine them into one folder. My previews go in the root of the folder.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have just been putting the unzipped folders "as is" into a folder for the kit. So, if there's 2 paper folders, 2 element folders, then while I'm making a page, I'm opening multiple folders while choosing what to use. It just dawned on me that maybe it would be more efficient to combine all "element things" (when little word strips come in a separate folder, etc.)
And I thought "I bet I'm the last one to figure this out", and here I am, pretty much the last one to figure that out, lol.

Moving forward, I'm going to use some of your systems!
Old 08-31-2021, 01:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The only thing I keep separate is the alpha folder. Otherwise I like to see the kit as a whole.

For mega collabs though, I make a paper folder, and recently started doing a flower/foliage folder too otherwise it's too scattered within the folder and I like to compare which flowers I want to use first and whatnot.

I also like to have a folder preview, since my pc shows the photo of the folder.jpeg in explorer. It's nice to have a visual of the kit colors.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:08 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

It gets unzipped and placed into one folder. I will keep alphas in their own sub-folder is they are separated. If they are just on one sheet, they go with the rest of the kit. I sort by image type, so that puts all like images together, usually with papers and journal cards at the top, followed by elements, etc.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
I have just been putting the unzipped folders "as is" into a folder for the kit. So, if there's 2 paper folders, 2 element folders, then while I'm making a page, I'm opening multiple folders while choosing what to use. It just dawned on me that maybe it would be more efficient to combine all "element things" (when little word strips come in a separate folder, etc.)
And I thought "I bet I'm the last one to figure this out", and here I am, pretty much the last one to figure that out, lol.

Moving forward, I'm going to use some of your systems!
Becca, you make me laugh but I don't think you're the last to figure out, I guess it also depends wich software you used to scrap.
The most important is you find the way that fits the better your needs.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:54 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I unzip and keep them the way they are from the designer. I then place that folder in the folder of the shop they sell at. All my kits are sorted by store. Once a designer retires from that store I put all their kits in a folder under the designer name but leave in the main store folder. If the designer moves stores I grab the whole folder and put in the new store folder.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:56 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Oh and when I make a page for a CT using one kit, I open everything up in PSE. If I have too many items open I look through previews and close things I know I won’t use
Old 08-31-2021, 04:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Rebecca, thanks for starting this thread! I love learning about the different approaches everyone takes to managing their digital supplies.

After years of trial and error, I've finally got a system that works really well for me. (I'm on a PC, and I work with Lightroom and Photoshop.)

When I get a new kit, after the unzip, I do the following:
1. Delete all TOU & thank-you images, plus TXT files and PDFs.
2. Use Lightroom to quickly add the following metadata keywords to every file:
- designer name
- kit name
- store name
3. Use Lightroom to quickly add detailed keywords to the Preview image(s) only for things like colors & themes.
4. Then I move all the files into the master folder for the designer.

So my Kristin Cronin-Barrow folder, for example, has 49,732 files in it. Every file for every kit and product I've ever bought from her.

Then I can use the Search bar in Windows Explorer to look for something like PREVIEW CHRISTMAS and it will pull up all 78 preview images in her folder tagged with Christmas. I can add the word BLUE to the search and it narrows it down to the previews for her Christmas products that are blue. When I pick the one I want, I type in the kit name - like ADIFFERENTKINDOFCHRISTMAS - and all 260 files for that kit appear.

No fuss, no muss, no endless kit and product subfolders to deal with.

And the benefit of having all the products for a designer in one folder is this: if I'm working on a layout and the kit I'm using doesn't have an item I need, like a ribbon, I have easy access to every item I own by that designer in one place so the style will match and I don't have to dig through endless folders. I just type "ribbon" in the search window and because the designers are so good about how they name their files, up come the 900 ribbons from every kit I own from KCB.

Little different approach ... it's the one I've found works really well for me!

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 08-31-2021, 05:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I usually unzip all the kit files and then combine them into one main kit folder with subfolders for alphas, elements, cards & paper (& templates if there are some). I put the kit preview in the main folder and tag it with the designers name, file name & themes or special items I might want to find again. See below =) I used to tag the heck out of my digiscrap purchases in ACDSEE, but I lost my database and didn't want to invest that time in the program again.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I dump everything for each kit into one folder and name the folder by designer initials and kit name. Within that folder, I keep the alpha in its own folder, the papers all (solids, extras, prints) in one folder and everything else goes in the main folder - elements, cards, mixed media, etc.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I combine the papers in one, the elements in another, keep the alphas, cards separate

Old 08-31-2021, 09:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Much like others, I consolidate to one folder. Typically I drag everything into the whatever I consider the main elements folder. I will combine everything except papers, templates and cards, which remain in stand-alone folders within my main folder. I'm not religious about deleting extras, but I typically let them overwrite when dragging and dropping.

For templates, I delete everything except the preview and the TIFFs.

I'm on a MAC, every main folder gets a preview added and is tagged with designer, store and if applicable, type.

This is totally first world problem, but I don't love the extra step of having to rename elements that are different, but are named the same thing (i.e. within a collection the designer has the same name for elements as they do for something they've zipped into a different folder so that when you drag and drop you either have to rename or overwrite). I also have a preference for less folders at download (I personally don't need to differentiate between solid and patterned papers - unless they are sold separately).
Old 09-01-2021, 09:46 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have a folder with exact title of kit w/author mane then inside I have a folder for alpha, papers and elements. The preview and the TOC sit inside the main folder. All the rest of the clutter designers add, I delete. I file by subject and I have a spreadsheet with columns - Kit names, designer, notes (like freebie, or something else I may need to remember. Makes it really easy to see if I have purchased a kit before.

I never thought about searching the store but will from now on whenI need something, especially when I can cross-reference my spreadsheet so easily.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:27 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I put everything into one kit folder, except the alphas, they stay in their folder inside the kit folder.

I like to see everything in the kit when I scrap.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-01-2021, 10:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Great topic! I do the same as @StacyLynn since I'm very visual. I also created a folder with the previews of the kits I own so that I can quickly browse through them when it's time to get some inspiration. I also like to put a copy of my finished layout into its corresponding kit folder so that I can see how many I've created with a specific kit. For templates, they go into a separate folder and I only download the tiff file. Nice thing with tiff is you get a preview, just like a jpg so it saves me from downloading the preview.

Last edited by Lidia G; 09-01-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I leave the alphas in a folder inside the main kit folder. I like all the previews to be at the top of the screen when I'm looking at the kit so I add a 1 in front of the file name. I noticed a designer had an underscore in front of the preview file name which made it show up first. Either way would work for me. If it's a collab, sometimes I'll add a Z at the beginning of the file names for all the papers so they all show up together at the bottom of the screen. I would LOVE to see all the papers in one group, all the flowers in one group, all the wordart in one group, etc...but not in different folders. lol I want it all on my screen at one time. (Well, still have to scroll.) I know in a kit or two I've added something in front of all the flower file names to get them to show up together. It was either a big bundle or a collab or something to where they were showing up in different areas of the folder.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am not a fan of this either. I really appreciate when designers add something extra to the filename to show it is part of an extra to the kit since I combine all my elements into one file as well.

i.e. - Ru adds designername_kitname_extrabits_element1

instead of just

designername_kitname_element1 in more than one folder

Again - first world problem for sure, but it saves me a lot of renaming file work when I buy the designer's bundle with the extra mixed media if they do this. I love all the extras they create and don't want them overwritten when I combine all the elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
This is totally first world problem, but I don't love the extra step of having to rename elements that are different, but are named the same thing (i.e. within a collection the designer has the same name for elements as they do for something they've zipped into a different folder so that when you drag and drop you either have to rename or overwrite). I also have a preference for less folders at download (I personally don't need to differentiate between solid and patterned papers - unless they are sold separately).

Last edited by stephc777; 09-01-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I create a folder for the kit (or collection) and then unzip everything into it. I keep alphas in their own folders (within the kit folder).

I rename everything (okay, maybe I'm a bit ocd with this!). So, everything plant based because "foliage" accordions, or rosettes become "flowers", etc.

Then in a renaming software, I change the names so that the elements are together at the top and the papers are together at the bottom.
designername_kitname__element
designername_kitname_paper

If it's a collab, I add the designer's initials at the end:
ssd_kitname__element_designerinitials
ssd_kitname_paper_designerinitials

This makes it so much easier for me when I scrap! It also makes it easier to find elements when I'm mixing kits.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I rename everything (okay, maybe I'm a bit ocd with this!). So, everything plant based because "foliage" accordions, or rosettes become "flowers", etc.

Then in a renaming software, I change the names so that the elements are together at the top and the papers are together at the bottom.
designername_kitname__element
designername_kitname_paper

If it's a collab, I add the designer's initials at the end:
ssd_kitname__element_designerinitials
ssd_kitname_paper_designerinitials

This makes it so much easier for me when I scrap! It also makes it easier to find elements when I'm mixing kits.
Tammy, this is brilliant! I can see how adding this to my own workflow would be a big bonus in scrapping productivity. Can you tell me what renaming software you're using?

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 09-01-2021, 08:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
Tammy, this is brilliant! I can see how adding this to my own workflow would be a big bonus in scrapping productivity. Can you tell me what renaming software you're using?
Thanks, Angie! It really does help me because I don't have to search through the kit, everything is where I need it.
The renaming software I use is "Bulk Rename Utility".
https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/
Old 09-01-2021, 09:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Off to download this - thanks for mentioning it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Thanks, Angie! It really does help me because I don't have to search through the kit, everything is where I need it.
The renaming software I use is "Bulk Rename Utility".
https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/
Old 09-01-2021, 09:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I put the papers and previews into the main folder. All elements go into one element folder within the kit. Most add ons (cards, word strips, alphas etc) go into their own folder, too. Once in a while I'll put word strips or paint in the main element folder rather than in its own. The one exception to my method is megacollabs where every designer does their own preview. Then papers go into a paper folder and only the previews are in the main kit folder.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephc777 View Post
Off to download this - thanks for mentioning it!
You're welcome, Stephanie!
Old 09-02-2021, 03:41 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

As a very visual person I prefer to have mostly everything from the kit/bundle it in one folder - I need to see everything immediately together. I unzip elements and papers and put them together in the main folder. Than I put there the folder with alpha(s) (when there come some sub-folders with colour variations I prefer to have all of them in one alpha-folder together), folder with journal cards (I like to have them separately) and folder with printables, if there are some. TOUs and previews I put in special folder, except the one prv in the main folder. And - if it comes with it in a bundle - folder with premade clusters/frippery (but I should delete it, I´m not using them).
As I´m not renamig the files, I have sometimes problems with names of the files when putting all the elements and papers together - especially colour variations of alphas (thanks to designers who name every single letter accurately with some abbreviation of colour/material/specification of that alpha) and quite often some element in mixed media packs in bundles have the same name as some element in the main kit - sometimes it happens also with papers in a kit vs extra papers (again - thanks to designers who thinks of this:-)).
Old 09-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I create a folder with kit/designer name
Within that folder, I have a folder for elements/papers/cards/alphas/etc....
Once the main folder is created, I make sure the folder icon is the kit/template preview.

I will combine folders if there are more than one for elements or papers but I like keeping my things separate. I scrap on a 27 inch iMac and have a split screen....it is easy to go back and forth between folders within the main folder and then just drag into PS.

I typically delete psd and png files for templates and just keep the tif files and I also delete all the extras.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I combine everything into the same folder, cards, extras, etc. I don't like opening multiple folders or switching back and forth. Alphas are the only thing I keep separate, and if they are on one sheet (which I absolutely LOVE) then I don't keep them in a separate folder. I just don't want a bunch of individual letters distracting me from elements and such.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do exactly like Sherri above me said. I am a super visual person and I need to see it all right in front of me! I also use the kit preview as my folder preview so I can scroll through my folders of digi products to see what I have to work with.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually just add everything to the elements folder. Usually I make sure all the elements are together, then just leave the papers and alphas in their own folders.

Move them to the designers folder.
Then use ACDsee to take the kit preview for theme or season, designer, "need to use" stash if I'm not planning to use right away.
Then I tag the alphas accordingly and if there is some new, interesting greenery, I'll tag that too.