Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-31-2022, 06:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Online backup for college student?

My son will be moving into a dorm and would like to set up an online backup for himself. I use Crashplan and love it, but my son doesn't have nearly as much to back up. Looking back through old threads, it looks like most people recommend Crashplan, Backblaze, Carbonite, and iDrive. Anything new or any change in what you'd recommend? He doesn't want something like Dropbox, more of a traditional backup. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2022, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure if he uses a Mac or Windows. I use Microsoft's cloud, and it's automatic. Might be worth it he would also like Office. I pay $70 a year, but I think you can get a family plan.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For most of University I used Backblaze I’m almost 99% sure but I also used a USB flash drive as I was often doing bits and pieces of research or assignments at the campus library using their computers so I wanted a copy of stuff that was easy to use on campus yet still have access at home. As I lived over an hour away by bus and train it just wasn’t practical to lug my laptop to class up to 4 days a week so a USB flash drive was my compromise.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 08-04-2022, 01:47 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

idrive! also, idrive has student pricing!
Old 08-07-2022, 09:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I'm not sure if he uses a Mac or Windows. I use Microsoft's cloud, and it's automatic. Might be worth it he would also like Office. I pay $70 a year, but I think you can get a family plan.
Thanks! He's anti-Office, pro-Google Docs, but we already have a family subscription to Office that my husband and I use. I'll look into whether that would work for him.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekiwi View Post
For most of University I used Backblaze I’m almost 99% sure but I also used a USB flash drive as I was often doing bits and pieces of research or assignments at the campus library using their computers so I wanted a copy of stuff that was easy to use on campus yet still have access at home. As I lived over an hour away by bus and train it just wasn’t practical to lug my laptop to class up to 4 days a week so a USB flash drive was my compromise.
That's a long commute to school! I used to use Backblaze and liked it--I'll add it to the list to consider for him. It sounds like you've used it more recently than I have, so it's good to hear that it's still reliable and easy.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinagrrl View Post
idrive! also, idrive has student pricing!
Thanks! I don't know anything about iDrive yet, but I'll look into it.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You have quite a bit of good advice on here. I will jump in and say I have I Drive as well and have liked it...Just don't loose the pin number or you have to start all over again...ugh! I have a terrible memory and forgot my pin when I moved to a new computer and had to start all over.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use backblaze and have had to restore in the past and it worked well. I also recommend LastPass for password storage.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:32 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Now there are many platforms where you can store backups at a student discount. Moreover, you can set up so that all data is automatically backed up and saved to the cloud. I prefer to use the Microsoft cloud because it's self-explanatory. I'm studying to be a psychologist and systematically do projects I copy to the cloud. I go to a good college as I spent a lot of time analyzing psychology degree colleges and picked the best one. I was looking for a college with many hands-on projects because I like to apply what I've learned.