Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone Air Force?

My brother has been offered a full scholarship thru the AF ROTC and I'm pretty sure he is going to take it! My Mom is excited for him (free schooling!) but at the same time kind of nervous/scared. I just thought I would see if anyone here has had experience with the Air Force so I could share with my Mom. (from what he's shared with us - they'll pay for school (he's going to school to become a environmental engineer), room and board, give him a stipend and then he'll have to commit for 4 years. He will be an officer though. Pretty exciting for him )

Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I'm pretty sure Angie was Air Force and I think Vanessa was too!!! How exciting for your brother and your whole family!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I wanna say Mari (lovely1m) is Air Force too. That is exciting though, Erin - Congrats to your brother!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I immediately thought of Vanessa and Mari..

I think Angie was Navy but pretty sure they work pretty much the same as far as schooling and commitment

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I was Active Duty Air Force for 10 years. I went in straight out of high school.

Is he going to be in the Air Force Academy? The one thing I've heard from other officers is that the first year there is super intense. Not all officers go to the Academy, some get their commissions through officer training school (they already have degrees). So his first year might be similar to what basic training was for us enlisted, but ours only lasted 6 weeks. FYI, don't quote me on this, but that's what I've been old from other officers I've worked with. I have no first hand knowledge because I was only a SSgt when I got out.

Tell your mom not to worry. Of all the branches, the Air Force is probably the safest. I might put the Navy a head a little right now since we're not at war on the water.

Officers make really good money. I don't know much about engineers, but towards the end of my time I worked with a lot of young intelligence officers and they enjoyed it. And being an engineer, he should have any issues after finding a great job if he decides not to stay in.

Its very exciting! Good for him!

Going in the Air Force was the best thing I ever could have done with my life. If it wasn't for the Air Force, I'd have none of the things I'm blessed with today.

Last edited by nesser1981; 02-16-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am not in the air force but my daughter was JR ROTC and loved it very much. She talked a lot about joining the Air Force or Marines out of high school but changed her mind about mid 11th grade. I think it was the teacher she had that year she really just did not like. Anyhow I spoke to the teachers at great length many times about her joining the Air Force and they echoed pretty much what Vanessa said and I was pretty nervous about it as well. I also have a sister and two nephews in the Army right now and even though my sister and nephew have deployed to Afghanistan they find it very rewarding and said they would have never had the oppurtunity to see so much of the world otherwise. It sounds like he has a really great oppurtunity though but I totally get your mom's worries too. Maybe she could go talk to someone from the ROTC about her concerns to get a little reassurance?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I am full-time Air Guard. I agree with everything Vanessa said. While its hard at first, such a change in life style, it is extremely rewarding. I love being in the Air Force and everything it has done for me and given me. The program he is using is awesome. I wish I had known of doing that when I was in high school. Coming in as an officer and having them pay for his school, you can't get better than that. And engineering will be great for finding a job after he gets out of the Air Force. And Vanessa was right, the Air Force is very safe.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

He is currently going to Michigan Tech up in Houghton, Michigan (on the UP). He joined ROTC when he started college and just applied for the AF scholarship early this winter. He found out on Tuesday that he got the scholarship and has to let them know by Monday. He said that the scholarship is an added bonus because he was plannnig on joining when he was done with school either way. I think my Mom is doing better - my sister's boyfriend mentioned that the AF is "in the rear with the gear" and I think that really calmed her nerves. LOL

Thanks Mari and Vanessa for replying! I'll definitely share with my Mom

Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

That is awesome Erin! Congrats to him!! I've been thinking of encouraging my son to look into ROTC. He is in his second year of college and they have a big ROTC program at his college. My son is also a future engineer. Jacob wants to go into structural engineering. College is just sooooooo expensive that ROTC is a fabulous way to pay for college and then you have a job right out of college too. That benefit can't be overlooked in today's society! Anyway, congrats to him!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So my DH did Army ROTC and is currently active duty Army and we've both said on occasions that we wish he would have done AF ROTC instead, haha. It wasn't an option at our university (you had to do it at another school 20 minutes away) and at the time the AF wasn't giving out the same level of scholarships as the Army was (plus his dad is retired Army), but the AF bases are SO much nicer, they're in better locations and they seem to have it overall a lot easier when it comes to deployments, dangerous jobs, etc. I mean there's a reason the AF is jokingly referred to as the "chair force" by those in the Army.

I will say that if you're going to go into the military, going in as an officer is the way to go. The pay is better, the housing is better, you get a lot more freedom in what you can do. I'm not always convinced the cost of my college degree was worth it but I have no doubt my DH's degree has paid off directly in the military. Plus like Julie said, the security of a job is nice as well, that's part of the reason we're at year 6 of his 4 year commitment.

Last edited by Nettio; 02-16-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone - I am super excited for him

Jessica - that's a good idea for my mom to talk to someone with AFROTC - it certainly doesn't hurt!

Julie - it's amazing how expensive college is! The school he goes to doesn't have a lot of grants out there so it's even more out of pocket! This will definitely help him with that!

Lynnette - thanks for chiming in too!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
Julie - it's amazing how expensive college is! The school he goes to doesn't have a lot of grants out there so it's even more out of pocket! This will definitely help him with that!
Boy I know it. My son goes to a state college (meaning: cheap, not private, LOL) and it's $21,000 a year. Luckily my son has some scholarships but I still dream of a full ride scholarship like ROTC for him. LOL
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

AF ROTC is a great way to go. You get your commission, but still have a relativitely 'normal' college experience. Most days the AF is just like a regular job... DH works 7:30-5:00ish M-F. We've been through one deployment (5 months) and he did two 3-month ones before we met. Overall we love it... We've met great people, lived in some neat places and gotten to do some unique things. Let us know if your mom has any specific questions...
Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to jocelinsmommy

My dad did exactly what your brother is going to do. He's now a year away from retirement (he's a doctor in the Air Force--and currently deployed). He continued on after his residency that the Air Force paid for--and committed his entire career to the Air Force and I know he doesn't regret it and it was the best thing he could have ever done for all 5 of us children and my mom. We all 5 kids have alot of health problems and we got to see the world. He did get a stipen that we all lived off of at the time he had 2 kids and a 3rd on the way while he was in residency etc. and we did struggle a bit but he's single so he should do alot better than my dad did with my mom, me and my brother and a younger brother on the way Figured I'd share my .02 cents!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences Off to send an email to my mom & brother

Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Officers make really good money. I don't know much about engineers, but towards the end of my time I worked with a lot of young intelligence officers and they enjoyed it. And being an engineer, he should have any issues after finding a great job if he decides not to stay in.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Until an officer makes it up into the higher ranks (like major), the pay is not really that much more than what a senior NCO makes. Of course, a lower ranking officer will have less time in the military than that senior non-commissioned officer. Some enlisted and officer career fields will have certain bonuses, though.

You can see military pay charts here:

http://www.militarytimes.com/project...12/basic/0_20/

And many people (even engineers) are having a tough time finding employment upon getting out of the military these days.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

They make a lot more money that I did when I was in the for 10 years. Even a Lt. was making more than a 10 year SSgt w/ 3 dependants. And you get your housing allowance on top of that, and medical.

I was in for 10 years, I know how the pay scale works.

And yes, it it hard finding a job post military. That's a good thing about the military in times like this, you make good money and have job security.

And there are bonuses, but those are only for times of renewing your contracts. At least for enlisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Until an officer makes it up into the higher ranks (like major), the pay is not really that much more than what a senior NCO makes. Of course, a lower ranking officer will have less time in the military than that senior non-commissioned officer. Some enlisted and officer career fields will have certain bonuses, though.

And many people (even engineers) are having a tough time finding employment upon getting out of the military these days.

Last edited by nesser1981; 02-17-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

There is always a chance of course. If you sign-up that's what you're volunteering for.

The Air Force primarily plays a support role unless you have a job that would put you closer to the action. I've had many friends that deployed. The Air Force is also pretty good about having their deployment schedules well planned out. AETC rotations (at least that's what they were when I was still in), you're assigned to the rotation, you'd know how often your unit would come up for deployment. There is always a chance of being extended or sent without notice.

Have you ever served?

Quote:
It doesn't matter what branch of the service one joins, the fact of the matter is that our nation has been at war for the last ten years. Members of ALL the services have gone to war and have died for our freedom.

http://www.militarytimes.com/valor/

Plenty of Air Force members have gone to dangerous locations and put their lives on the line. It may be a "safer" branch of the service, but it's no guarantee.

The point is, the young man in the original post who has gotten this ROTC scholarship needs to remember that the scholarship comes with an obligation, and with that obligation comes sacrifice. Members of the Air Force deploy and go to war and do get wounded and sometimes die.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
The point is, the young man in the original post who has gotten this ROTC scholarship needs to remember that the scholarship comes with an obligation, and with that obligation comes sacrifice. Members of the Air Force deploy and go to war and do get wounded and sometimes die.
As someone who is in one of the more dangerous career fields in the Air Force, I can tell you that even that way, we are still for the most part safer than most in the Army. We tend to be base support mostly, even my job as Security Forces, which is considerably safer than going outside the wire. Obviously, yes, there is always the chance and, yes, members of the Air Force have died supporting the war, it just tends to be a safer option for the most part.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Yep, take a look at that chart. An 0-1 with less than 2 years of experience and a E-5 with 8 years of service make the same amount of money. Yes, a SNCO makes pretty good money, but it takes much longer to get there. Also, there are very few bonuses currently. The military is a very secure job unlike the civilian world thus making it quite appealing during times of resession. Since they don't have much problem getting people to stay in the military, they don't have to give people additional reasons to stay in, so they don't. Yes, there are some career fields where they still do, but even my job which normally has one (its not a well liked job) doesn't have one right now.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I know that my brother realizes this. He stated yesterday that he has always wanted to join the military so the fact that he's been offered this scholarship is just an added bonus.

Thank you everyone for responding - my mom sent me an email this morning thanking me for sharing all your experiences

Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
There is always a chance of course. If you sign-up that's what you're volunteering for.

The Air Force primarily plays a support role unless you have a job that would put you closer to the action. I've had many friends that deployed. The Air Force is also pretty good about having their deployment schedules well planned out. AETC rotations (at least that's what they were when I was still in), you're assigned to the rotation, you'd know how often your unit would come up for deployment. There is always a chance of being extended or sent without notice.

Have you ever served?
No, I have not, but I am the spouse of someone who did serve for over twenty years in the Air Force and I think we need to show some respect to the Air Force members who have given their lives in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and to their families who have made these sacrifices. I think it needs to be clear that when you join the Air Force, you join the military, and you can get sent wherever the military needs you and there's always the risk that you will be wounded or worse.

Last edited by origami; 02-17-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
I know that my brother realizes this. He stated yesterday that he has always wanted to join the military so the fact that he's been offered this scholarship is just an added bonus.

Thank you everyone for responding - my mom sent me an email this morning thanking me for sharing all your experiences
And I didn't mean to imply that he didn't and apologize if it sounded that way. Even though I am only a military spouse, I think it is important to know that it's more than a job. And I'm sure that he will make a great officer!

Last edited by origami; 02-17-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Yep, take a look at that chart. An 0-1 with less than 2 years of experience and a E-5 with 8 years of service make the same amount of money. Yes, a SNCO makes pretty good money, but it takes much longer to get there. Also, there are very few bonuses currently. The military is a very secure job unlike the civilian world thus making it quite appealing during times of resession. Since they don't have much problem getting people to stay in the military, they don't have to give people additional reasons to stay in, so they don't. Yes, there are some career fields where they still do, but even my job which normally has one (its not a well liked job) doesn't have one right now.
That's what I was going to say. The chart clearly shows that an 0-2 1st Lieutenant with 2 years of experience makes more than an E-7 Senior NCO with 10 years of experience. That's seems like a pretty clear benefit to me and that doesn't even include your housing allowance, health care benefits, job security, etc. Not to mention you get your college degree paid for as well. And yes, those benefits just increase as you move up to the Captain/Major pay grades. It's worked out pretty well for us.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here's the current stats: http://www.militarytimes.com/valor/t...-the-sacrifice

The stats are clear that the Army has made the most sacrifices, but every branch, even the Coast Guard (with 1 casualty) has made sacrifices.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can get where Origami is coming from.

I hate to see so many young people enroll in these programs for free schooling and then get shocked when they're sent to war. My friend's wife went to medical school on the Army's dime and then ended up as an air doctor.

These are all things that should be considered before taking the education.

HUGS to your mother, I can only imagine how hard this decision must be.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
It doesn't matter what branch of the service one joins, the fact of the matter is that our nation has been at war for the last ten years. Members of ALL the services have gone to war and have died for our freedom.

http://www.militarytimes.com/valor/

Plenty of Air Force members have gone to dangerous locations and put their lives on the line. It may be a "safer" branch of the service, but it's no guarantee.

I don't see where I said that wasn't the case? Believe me, my DH has been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm well aware of the sacrifices that have been made on the part of ALL members of the military and their families.

That being said, you can't deny that the tempo of the AF vs the Army the last 10 years have been different. Considering we're supposed to be out of Afghanistan by 2014, his chances of deploying are pretty minimal. Could that change tomorrow? Absolutely. That's the nature of the military. I'm the first to say that if you go into the military in hopes of never deploying or being at war, you're in the wrong line of work. But I assume that someone considering ROTC would have already thought about those aspects as well. I was simply sharing my experience that for my DH, ROTC was a good decision.

ETA: My DH signed up for ROTC in early 2001 - before 9/11. He watched his world change before his eyes and we both came out of college knowing he would be deployed. I still say that for my DH, ROTC was a good decision.

Last edited by Nettio; 02-17-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I don't see where I said that wasn't the case? Believe me, my DH has been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm well aware of the sacrifices that have been made on the part of ALL members of the military and their families.

That being said, you can't deny that the tempo of the AF vs the Army the last 10 years have been different. Considering we're supposed to be out of Afghanistan by 2014, his chances of deploying are pretty minimal. Could that change tomorrow? Absolutely. That's the nature of the military. I'm the first to say that if you go into the military in hopes of never deploying or being at war, you're in the wrong line of work. But I assume that someone considering ROTC would have already thought about those aspects as well. I was simply sharing my experience that for my DH, ROTC was a good decision.

ETA: My DH signed up for ROTC in early 2001 - before 9/11. He watched his world change before his eyes and we both came out of college knowing he would be deployed. I still say that for my DH, ROTC was a good decision.
This was so well said, Lynette.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No one said you couldn't be injured or killed in the Air Force.

Quote:
No, I have not, but I am the spouse of someone who did serve for over twenty years in the Air Force and I think we need to show some respect to the Air Force members who have given their lives in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and to their families who have made these sacrifices. I think it needs to be clear that when you join the Air Force, you join the military, and you can get sent wherever the military needs you and there's always the risk that you will be wounded or worse.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ok, this thread is going in the wrong direction.

Erin wanted some opinions from people that experience with the air force, not a debate.

Erin, I hope you found some good information here.

Last edited by nesser1981; 02-17-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post
I can get where Origami is coming from.

I hate to see so many young people enroll in these programs for free schooling and then get shocked when they're sent to war. My friend's wife went to medical school on the Army's dime and then ended up as an air doctor.

These are all things that should be considered before taking the education.

HUGS to your mother, I can only imagine how hard this decision must be.
This is what I am trying to say. I am so happy that the original poster's relative really WANTS to be in the military and that the ROTC scholarship fits right in with his plans. And I also think he should REALLY research what his life will be like, because once he's in, he is committed. And if he's not married now and if he doesn't have a family, he needs to consider what that will be like too. If he can stay for a career as an officer, it will probably be a wonderful thing, but there are definitely hidden (financial and emotional) costs.

Last edited by origami; 02-17-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Housing allowances don't always work out to be better, especially if you are stationed overseas and mandated to live on base. (Bye-bye BAH!) Stateside, you're more likely to live better as an officer than an enlisted family. But if you are someone who moves frequently (and officers usually move more often), there are hidden costs. Spouses who don't have portable careers (ie. digital scrapbooking designer LOL!) often end up not working or starting over every single time.
I agree with Vanessa. This thread is getting off track. I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of the military lifestyle or the sacrifices I've made as a military wife. I knew what it would entail when I married my DH and we both still say that ROTC is a decision we're happy with. Your mileage may very.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I agree with Vanessa. This thread is getting off track. I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of the military lifestyle or the sacrifices I've made as a military wife. I knew what it would entail when I married my DH and we both still say that ROTC is a decision we're happy with. Your mileage may very.
The original poster asked if anyone had any experience with the Air Force.

We loved our time as an Air Force family. I am sorry if you think it got off track. I just wanted to point out that there are always financial and emotional costs that come along with the service and, honestly, sometimes you aren't always aware of those costs until you are done with it all and can look back, which is the perspective that I am coming from as the spouse of a retired NCO. It is very clear that the original poster's relative is strongly dedicated to the idea of joining the military and as such, I would expect he has researched it. Wonderful! But the point is, it is a life of sacrifice, whether it is the small sacrifice of missing a birthday or anniversary or the big sacrifice of a soldier who comes home with PTSD or the ultimate sacrifice made by our fallen heroes and their Gold Star families. His mom's worries are real and not necessarily far fetched, though it's unlikely her son will come to harm.

To add one more thing, his mom may want to consider looking into the National Military Family Association, which is an awesome resource for military families. She can also, as the parent of a military member, get involved in a number of service organization. I'm not totally sure what the requirements for joining the American Legion Auxilary are, but that can be a great organization for spouses and moms of veterans. I think that moms and spouses of active duty would be welcome. Also check out Blue Star Families http://www.bluestarfam.org/ and http://www.whitehouse.gov/joiningforces/ for resources for family members, including parents.

Last edited by origami; 02-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
The original poster asked if anyone had any experience with the Air Force.

We loved our time as an Air Force family. I am sorry if you think it got off track. I just wanted to point out that there are always financial and emotional costs that come along with the service and, honestly, sometimes you aren't always aware of those costs until you are done with it all and can look back, which is the perspective that I am coming from as the spouse of a retired NCO. It is very clear that the original poster's relative is strongly dedicated to the idea of joining the military and as such, I would expect he has researched it. Wonderful! But the point is, it is a life of sacrifice, whether it is the small sacrifice of missing a birthday or anniversary or the big sacrifice of a soldier who comes home with PTSD or the ultimate sacrifice made by our fallen heroes and their Gold Star families. His mom's worries are real and not necessarily far fetched, though it's unlikely her son will come to harm.

To add one more thing, his mom may want to consider looking into the National Military Family Association, which is an awesome resource for military families. She can also, as the parent of a military member, get involved in a number of service organization. I'm not totally sure what the requirements for joining the American Legion Auxilary are, but that can be a great organization for spouses and moms of veterans. I think that moms and spouses of active duty would be welcome. Also check out Blue Star Families http://www.bluestarfam.org/ and http://www.whitehouse.gov/joiningforces/ for resources for family members, including parents.
I see you edited/deleted your post but I just wanted to say that sharing your personal experience like this is great. Sharing links in response to everyone else's personal experience maybe didn't come across the way you intended. But I think really we're all saying the same thing - that there are positives and negatives and you have to weigh your options thoughtfully. The OP seemed like she was looking for some encouraging news to give to her mom which is why I think most people were focused on the positive. No hard feelings, ok?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate you all taking the time to share your experiences.

and I will definitely share those websites with my mom - origami - thank you for sharing those!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I see you edited/deleted your post but I just wanted to say that sharing your personal experience like this is great. Sharing links in response to everyone else's personal experience maybe didn't come across the way you intended. But I think really we're all saying the same thing - that there are positives and negatives and you have to weigh your options thoughtfully. The OP seemed like she was looking for some encouraging news to give to her mom which is why I think most people were focused on the positive. No hard feelings, ok?
No hard feelings here either. I just think you have to look at the positive and the negative. And on top of that, you have to be able to take the negative with a positive attitude. I didn't want people to think I was making stuff up. It is hard for vets to find jobs, even with degrees. The military doesn't pay for everything that people think it pays for. A spouse who has to go without a job and benefits for 10-20 years may find it difficult or impossible to get back into the work force. (And it's harder, I think for young O spouses, who definitely move more often than E spouses.) There are a lot of awesome things about the military, but you've really got to be able to get up with a smile on your face (especially as a spouse, so the military member can do his or her job without worrying about back home) in spite of it all. Ultimately, I think the mom's worry is real and justified and I don't just mean about the possibility of dying. This is a life choice, not a career choice, and it affects spouses, which we don't know if he has, (who choose to marry the military member) and often kids (who are pretty much drafted into the lifestyle.) We loved our time as a military family, but we would only tell another family to do it if they could really take the very, very real hardships that come with it and sometimes after it.

Here's a great, positive thing: Now that my DH is retired, I can still go up on base and use lots of the conveniences like the clinic, the commissary, the BX, etc. And it's SO awesome to run into other military spouses you knew ten or fifteen years ago at another base on the other side of the world. And there's the time last year when we were at a Fourth of July picnic and the magician performing up on stage looked out into the audience of hundreds of people and saw my husband and our family and said, "Hey, there's some folks out there I know from a long time ago! How are you guys doing?" I should probably scrap that story! The young man who won the ROTC scholarship is joining a family, a very big, sometimes cantankerous family.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My niece's ex-boyfriend is doing that right now through the air force ... he is very excited about all he is learning right now and the rank he should be when he gets out of school ... he plans on making it a career ... I can't remember what it is called (maybe a linguist?) ... he speaks fluently English and Spanish and is learning additional languages through the AF ... he seems to catch on to new languages easily ... and enjoys it.

Last edited by Sharon Kay; 02-18-2012 at 12:14 AM.