Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default So he's just SCREAMING and SCREAMING

Max, I mean. The total angel who just turned one is standing, yes STANDING, in his crib screaming instead of sleeping. He slept all night long, 12 glorious hours, praise the Lord, and after being up a couple of hours was ready to go back to bed, so I went through the bedtime routine I'm trying to teach him and put him down in the crib "in the zone" {still awake but on his way to sleep}. The second his body moved away from mine as I went to lay him in the crib, he began screaming and hasn't stopped for the last two hours.

I could REALLY use some advice girls.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't really have any advice. So sorry sweetie!! I would probably just keep holding him until he calmed down and keep putting him back in bed. I am not good at listening to them cry, but I need my space so i don't like for them to sleep with me all the time....

So sorry!! {{hugs}}
Old 09-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh man, this is the worst. I think there is a method where you go in every 15 minutes or so and soothe him. Or...you can just let him scream. He can't scream forever, and he needs to learn to self soothe. Maybe putting a floor fan in his room (for white noise) would be calming. Or get one of those crib toys that does a "light show" on his ceiling????

So so sorry!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Liz*~

I went through a pure nightmare with my first one trying to get her to sleep in her own bed. (I did the whole sleep in bed with me- Make it easier to feed) Man did I pay. So I soo feel your pain.

For the first week I caved in sorts- I would sit next to her bed and rub her head and sing our song. Then I moved to singing and then leaving- coming back after 20 minutes or so of crying and consouling her and then pulling the string door hanger that played lullabyes. Then I moved to just pull the string toy on the door and leaving and letting her cry to sleep until she grew out of it herself. I guess the downfall now is that she wont sleep without music playing

Best of luck and tons of patience your way, I know its rough
Old 09-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Lots of sympathy! Both of mine have been terrible sleepers. I tried the gentler methods for a few months but had no success, so with DS1 I finally caved in and tried letting him cry it out. I stopped after 2 weeks because it had created more sleep problems for him than it solved. (He developed a fear of his room and crib and started fighting anything associated with sleep.) Took me a while to undo that. I never even tried it with DS2. I stuck to the gentler methods and just tried hard to be patient.

One thing I found with both of my kids was that naps were always harder than bedtime. If I wanted to teach them a new routine or sleep skill, I had to start with bedtime and work on bedtime only for a while before I could get it to work for naps, too. If I tried to change things at naptime, they just ended up skipping the nap and being overtired and harder to soothe or get down later.

Good luck!

Last edited by rach3975; 09-12-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So, it's not really bed time... at night? Maybe he's not feeling well. If this isn't something he does regularly, maybe the crying and extra sleep in an indication he's feeling bad? If that's the case, I would comfort him... prolly hold him til he goes back to sleep.

If it's just bed time crying, then yeah, I would just go in every 15 mins or so to let him know you're still there. He'll cry it out and after a few days, he'll know the rules and he'll be able to soothe himself to sleep.

Good luck hon!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Mine screamed for 90 straight minutes this morning...so I'm with you. He's working on those 12 month molars I think (he'll be one next week)... Took a good nap today, but has been waking up during the nights lately. Have been praying for extra patience lately...