Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
LOL How many of you went and ordered mineral makeup?

So, after La and Aggie suggested Everyday Minerals in this thread, I ran off and got 3 sample kits. I was wondering how many of you went off and ordered from them too because I saw 2 of you over on the EDM forum asking for makeup help (I've been browsing a lot looking for tips).

I found my foundation and ordered the SUPER CUSTOM KIT (12 items for $50). I was in serious need of new makeup brushes (I got FIVE...weeeeeee!). I never treat myself to stuff like this, so I got the big kit and like 6 sample sized eye shadows and blushes. I may never need makeup ever again. I can't wait for it to get here.

So, thank you to La and Aggie! EDM is such a great deal and it doesn't make me itch like other mineral makeup does. WOOT!

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I didn't but mostly because I have too much already. LOL!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Waiting for my sample kit lol..
Old 05-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I ordered a sample kit and while I do like it, I think I like Bare Minerals just a tad bit more...it seems to stay put a little better. The lower price is an incentive, though...I'm going to continue using it and make up my mind after a little more time.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Waiting for my sample kit
Old 05-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Awww... Jenn and KCB... sorry you're still waiting. I didn't realize it'd take that much longer to get to Canada.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I somehow missed that thread (?) but I'm a Bare Minerals girl. No joke, I've been using the same black liner and brown and purple shadows for at LEAST 8 years and the jars are still FULL. Mineral makeup LASTS, lol!

Awesome that you found something you like though! Makeup can be such a PITA.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh. Its ok. I'm used to waiting LOL

after I ordered from there though I went looking at youtube videos and well lets just say i've been obsessed (can i blame this all on you?)

Anyways so I ordered samples from everyday minerals and also there is this place called mario badescu (.com) that you can get free samples from for skincare if you fill out a questionairre so waiting on those ones as well as some free samples from bestbathstore.com (have to pay shipping with those)

lol. I'm excited to try everything though.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been using Everyday Minerals for at least a year (switched over from Bare Minerals before that) and love it! I ran out awhile back and have been using cheap liquid foundation and can totally tell the difference. I really need to place an order, good thing today is DH's payday so I can do that!

Also always check under Community > Specials before placing an order cause sometimes they'll have coupon codes listed there. I know the last time I ordered I got like 10% or 20% off.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did not as I already use Bare Minerals and Mary Kay's mineral foundation so I didn't think I should get anymore brands!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't order any yet, but I looked and decided I'm going to order a sample kit soon and then ask my sis for coloring suggestions before getting eye shadows and blush. I usually only wear mascara and eyeliner, but I'm ready to branch out!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've used Everyday Minerals since 2004. I love it. I didn't wear makeup at all before EM, and now I barely go a day without it.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Yep, ordered sample kit...still waiting for mine. I knew it would take quite a while to reach me, though.

Edit:
Ok, hubby just rang samples have just arrived. - 11 days delivery, pretty good.

Last edited by Dottie; 05-20-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I missed that thread! I am trying to do it now...but I can't figure it out, lmao
Old 05-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W

I missed the thread but I'm a Bare Minerals girl. For me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it,lol. And man, it does last forever,lol.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbella77 View Post
I missed that thread! I am trying to do it now...but I can't figure it out, lmao
You add the sample kit to your cart, then go pick 3 bases and select "Add to kit"... pick a blush and concealer.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

WOOT! I got it! So trying this!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Oh. Its ok. I'm used to waiting LOL

after I ordered from there though I went looking at youtube videos and well lets just say i've been obsessed (can i blame this all on you?)

Anyways so I ordered samples from everyday minerals and also there is this place called mario badescu (.com) that you can get free samples from for skincare if you fill out a questionairre so waiting on those ones as well as some free samples from bestbathstore.com (have to pay shipping with those)

lol!!! Niiiiice! Have fun playing with your makeup!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ok, I got mine late last week but I have a stupid question....I'm used to using a cream-type base but these are powders. Do you put them over a cream base or just use them on your face by themselves? I've used them by themselves and they seem to wear off my face pretty fast. And they don't really show up well - that is, my skin tone can be a little ruddy in a couple of places and it doesn't really seem to even out my skin tone as much as I would like. What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kelli, you can use a fluffy brush to apply them dry, you can mix them with some moisturizer to use as a tinted moisturizer, or you can lightly spritz the brush to apply damp. Whatever works best for you. I typically do the light spritz on my kabuki brush and then apply. It helps the minerals meld into the skin better, especially with my super dry skin./
Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtutu View Post
Ok, I got mine late last week but I have a stupid question....I'm used to using a cream-type base but these are powders. Do you put them over a cream base or just use them on your face by themselves? I've used them by themselves and they seem to wear off my face pretty fast. And they don't really show up well - that is, my skin tone can be a little ruddy in a couple of places and it doesn't really seem to even out my skin tone as much as I would like. What am I doing wrong?
They are bases that would replace your cream base. It's buildable coverage where you apply more than one layer and you should use a really dense brush to apply it (most mineral makeup companies recommend a kabuki brush). Then you usually apply a "finishing" powder over the base to make it last longer. If you want similar coverage as a liquid base, you can do a "wet application" of the mineral powder. I find this gives excellent coverage. I mist the brush with a little water and then get some powder on the brush and buff it into my skin. That little bit of water would give you similar results to liquid base.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

lol... Leu beat me!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

Or...my fingers are faster?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:11 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I ordered the big pack today after the sample came this week. Let me show you why...

ugh, me without makeup, not my best either. I can NEVER EVER get that red out of my skin! Most makeup with enough coverage turns orange on me after a few hours of wear. Bare Minerals, Mary Kay, Cover Girl. Everything!!!

And this was me after the sample pack! I used the wet application method and a green concealer. Even better is that I had this on for a few hours and I'm not orange!

I can't wait for the package of the big stuff to arrive!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ooooh! Janny! You look BEAUTIMOUS!! I'm so glad you found your correct shade and were able to balance the red! I can't wait to get my kit either!!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yup... the green concealer is for us redheads and those that have a ruddy complexion. It seems so odd to put green stuff on your face, but it really works! My skin has mellowed out a bit with age and isn't nearly as ruddy as it was when I was younger, but I still use a green concealer if I am doing full makeup. Usually I only put a little makeup on.

Eva

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I ended up getting Bare Minerals because the day I read that thread I was in the mall & Sephora had a sale going on & the Bare Minerals were right out in front.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You know you have seen ME over there. I adore their coverage. I have tried Bare Escentuals, Mary Kay, and Pur Minerals and I have to say I love EDM the best. I just ordered my 3rd sample kit.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Okay - getting a free sample is really incentive for me to start wearing a little make up. I don't want to everyday - I'm just not a makeup girl, but for nights out with DH, church, and 'that time of the month', I'd like to have an alternative. Covergirl liquid make up just does not work for me (flakes my dry spots out).

So, I have a red face..super red from being overweight and having a really fair complexion. So I'm having a hard time figuring out what colors to try. But I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've really been wanting to order a sample, but I can't figure out what colors to get! lol
Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post

I am a HUGE fan of Mario Badescu! I have their drying lotion that I swear has become a secondary religion.
Their calming face mask and tan blemish cream are also completely thumbs-up worthy!!

Fan of:

Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Let me start by saying that I am not a makeup girl. I typically just wear mascara and some lip gloss. But, I would like to start wearing a little more. So after reading all of the things you girls said, I am ready to order my sample kit. I have some questions though...

I am a red head so I need so help!

What color of concealer should I get in my sample kit? There are 2 green colors

What about blushes? Is there a certain color that looks better with fair skin and freckled faces?

And...I don't even know where to begin with the bases. I have no idea what undertones I have...like I said, don't know too much about all this stuff.

Any help would be great!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I got the minty pearly green concealer. I've used other green concealers before but what I like about this one is that the pearl helps reflect the light so it seemed to blend better with my skin.

Color matching is really hard. I think it's harder for red heads! If you go to their forums and post a picture someone might be able to help you pick some shades to get started. I read that you can also email customer service.

I'm fair but not bottom of the range. So usually if I buy makeup I'm in the next step up from the lightest available. Not the lightest color, but the second lightest. If that makes sense. I started with Buff Ivory (which is the color I have on in the pic), Cool Fair, Cool Fair Medium. The cools were too pink/peachy on me. I went ahead and ordered the Buff Ivory full size because it is a good match and I need make-up really bad! But I also picked up another free sampler pack to see if there is another match that I like better. (and for the extra blush and concealer!)
Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Ok, thats my picture. I posted in the EM forum too. If yall have any ideas of what colors to get, I would love it. What undertone do you think I am?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, picking colors is really hard. I don't even know if I know what my undertones are... but I just started in the "Buff" category because those seemed to be the most neutral (I'm Buff Linen and also ordered Buff Fairly Light Neutral for when I get more color in my face this summer). "Cool" is for people with pink undertones. I *think* beige is for people with more yellow undertones??

I was lucky to find my match the first sample kit (I ended up ordering 3 though just to be sure), but some people order 5 samples before they find theirs. If you really can't settle on some, definitely post in their forum. The gals there are super helpful and really know the makeup.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

How long did it take for your Sample Kits to come in the mail?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyritchie04 View Post
How long did it take for your Sample Kits to come in the mail?
About 3 days.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So, just had to come back and say that I got my HUGE kit of makeup.... oh my goodness... their brushes are AMAZING. I sat there and rubbed them on my cheeks for like 5 minutes. And I got so many pretty eye shadows! I love this stuff! I give it

Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I actually mix colours.. it took me a lil bit to find the right ones too, but I mean it's like that with any make up. You can actually order sample sized products too (outside of the sample kit) which is what I do- esp since I mix two. I like to change out my make up every 6 months or so so it's better for me with the smaller sizes (jic you know.. moisture gets in t he containers or whatever.. I am anal LOL)
Old 05-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I am so glad that you are loving your new kit! I am still waiting on my sample kits. I thought since I live in San Antonio, Tx (1 hour south of Austin) that I would have already gotten it. I hope I will get it on Tuesday. I can't wait to try it out.