Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Funniest/Awkward thing you've written?

I was trying to get in to the gallery this weekend, but real life got in the way (ie: my SIL is coming on Wed and we still aren't unpacked so I had to kick my toosh in gear to hang shelving so I can organize the junk--err, stuff). But as I was thinking about giving myself some time in the gallery, I got to reminiscing about some of the funny/wild comments that I've made in the past. With that, it got me thinking. Have you ever made a funny or awkward comment, that you look back and think "What was I thinking?"

I'll tell you mine, if you tell me yours

Once upon a time, back when I was an SMG for ScrapMatters, I came across a hunting layout with a dead deer. Backstory, I'm not a hunter. Never hunted a day in my life. Don't mind those who do hunt, but I don't really enjoy seeing photos of dead/bloody animals. I couldn't focus on anything else so I wrote I hope no animals were harmed in the making of this layout " and moved on to the next layout. It was my "job". We had to comment on the layouts, every layout had to have a comment (not just by us, but in general all layouts had to have at least 1 comment). There weren't any comments made on that layout as I sure everyone else went right past it, on to the next layout! So I made my comment, moved on and never went back to edit it to something generic like "nice".

That's been years ago, but I still think about it. I think about what that scrapper thought of my comment--were they upset that I made that comment? Did they find it funny (I was trying to be funny). But then there are days I think about that scrapper and I feel like I need to apologize for trying to make a joke out of a layout that they've created about their memory. So if you are that scrapper, I'm sorry I made a joke of your layout.

What about you? Have you ever done anything like that or made a funny comment while browsing the gallery? I know of someone (not pointing fingers) who wanted to change "clustering" to "clumping"--that makes me chuckle still when I think about it or I type something about clusters!

Old 08-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Hopefully the person took it as a joke, since it was obviously something that was said light-heartedly I would certainly have chuckled if it was my layout. I post hardly anything in online galleries anymore because of something that happened to me way back. One of my layouts that was posted at DST became the focus of some kind of scrapbooking smack blog. Jeez, someone I had never interacted before with sent me a link so that I could read the comments. Wow - it was so bad I actually cried. And I'm not a crier. It was just a layout of a silly, funny memory that I wanted to preserve, and it became fodder for a bunch of hateful ladies who had nothing better to do. I was even called a satanist for a layout I did about attending a Black Sabbath concert. So no, I highly doubt your cute, cheeky comment could have been taken badly!
Old 08-19-2019, 02:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen104 View Post
Hopefully the person took it as a joke, since it was obviously something that was said light-heartedly I would certainly have chuckled if it was my layout. I post hardly anything in online galleries anymore because of something that happened to me way back. One of my layouts that was posted at DST became the focus of some kind of scrapbooking smack blog. Jeez, someone I had never interacted before with sent me a link so that I could read the comments. Wow - it was so bad I actually cried. And I'm not a crier. It was just a layout of a silly, funny memory that I wanted to preserve, and it became fodder for a bunch of hateful ladies who had nothing better to do. I was even called a satanist for a layout I did about attending a Black Sabbath concert. So no, I highly doubt your cute, cheeky comment could have been taken badly!

OMG! I'm so sorry you went through that. I'm actually envious of your concert going. Rock on!

I remember trying to reciprocate once over a decade ago, and the only page in her gallery was of a funeral complete with a picture of the body. I'm kind of a clod when it comes to expressing myself, so I just gave condolences instead of commenting on the form of the layout. I still remember feeling awkward and hope what I said was okay.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Seriously, people can be so ridiculously mean! That's awful. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Scrapbooking is an art and is personal. People put some of their most vulnerable moments online and that should never be ridiculed!!
I really hope you'll post more here at SSD. Everyone here is very kind, and I've never seen a mean comment
Old 08-19-2019, 02:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm sure I've made some awkward comments on things. Probably more in forums than in the gallery. LOL! I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure they are there. I think I'm better online than IRL because I have more time to think as I'm typing rather than standing in front of someone.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
What?! :O

I know that bad blog, unless there was another, but I don't remember them trashing layouts, so it might have been another blog. I'm so sorry that happened to you. That makes me angry reading about it.

I also don't know about Black Sabbath, but I highly doubt listening to music makes you a satanist

Old 08-19-2019, 02:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Seriously, people can be so ridiculously mean! That's awful. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Scrapbooking is an art and is personal. People put some of their most vulnerable moments online and that should never be ridiculed!!

I really hope you'll post more here at SSD. Everyone here is very kind, and I've never seen a mean comment
Old 08-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Completely agree ladies, and thanks for the virtual hugs!! I can look back on it now and laugh a little, but at the time it was so shocking that people could be so mean. To be fair, okay, it was a layout about my brother freely sharing with my prude-ish grandparents that he had hemorrhoids - all in an effort to just completely shock them. Months later, they wrapped up a tube of Prep-H for his Christmas stocking, and it was truly so funny and I wanted to remember how much we laughed that day. They've both since passed away, and looking in my scrapbook at that memory totally makes me smile because with some of his antics, I feel like my brother "loosened them up" over the years.

I am kind of a lurker here, but posted my first layout in the gallery this year, even though I've been reading here for years. I feel like this is a safe place LOL so maybe I'll post more eventually.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:21 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
OMG! I'm so sorry you went through that. I'm actually envious of your concert going. Rock on!

I remember trying to reciprocate once over a decade ago, and the only page in her gallery was of a funeral complete with a picture of the body. I'm kind of a clod when it comes to expressing myself, so I just gave condolences instead of commenting on the form of the layout. I still remember feeling awkward and hope what I said was okay.
It was a great concert! LOL Wow, so true, what can you say about a layout with someone's loss? I think just giving condolences is a very sensitive way to handle the situation
Old 08-19-2019, 06:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
woah! I am so sorry! And it makes me sick to my stomach to think that people steal other people's work behind their back and post hateful comments about it. It makes me think twice about posting layouts now. I wish all the things posted here were kept secret but nowadays with Internet... everything is out there and it's scary!!

I don't remember posting anything like that in the gallery but I do remember saying something in real life to my mother in law and it still comes back in conversation between my husband and I and I'm so ashamed of it.
I told her "where's my money at?" after she won the big prize at an Easter gathering because I had lent her the money to get in the game. lol It was kinda rude and very much impolite! lol
I can blame it on being French I guess and the language barrier.

or that one time at my wedding when I was told to say something for a toast before everybody took a sip and the only thing I could think of was "let's drink together!" haha I'm awful at public speaking!

Last edited by Leablahblah; 08-19-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes I think I'm being really funny, but it just comes across as me being really weird! And one loses so much when it's just typed words without facial expressions and tone of voice and body language. I think that sometimes my comments might miss the mark, but I try to convey how much I liked the page and why. I have never gotten a comment that made me feel anything other than glad that someone liked my layout enough to say something! I do feel like this is a safe space and people have always been very kind.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have heard about that blog but I haven't been there before, I just heard it from a sweet designer I used to ct some 5 years ago, she told us that she saw a post about her and some other designers and the post was about their kits, it was bad topic, to the point that she retired after a while, she was hurt really and discouraged. We're friends on fb so I can see that she went back to designing again slowly, just recently.

I'm giving you a virtual hug sweety, some people can be really nasty...

Quote:
Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
woah! I am so sorry! And it makes me sick to my stomach to think that people steal other people's work behind their back and post hateful comments about it. It makes me think twice about posting layouts now. I wish all the things posted here were kept secret but nowadays with Internet... everything is out there and it's scary!!

I don't remember posting anything like that in the gallery but I do remember saying something in real life to my mother in law and it still comes back in conversation between my husband and I and I'm so ashamed of it.
I told her "where's my money at?" after she won the big prize at an Easter gathering because I had lent her the money to get in the game. lol It was kinda rude and very much impolite! lol

or that one time at my wedding when I was told to say something for a toast before everybody took a sip and the only thing I could think of was "let's drink together!" haha I'm awful at public speaking!
I'm terrible with public speaking...half the time I just hide in a corner and hope no one sees/talks to me!

Oh no about the conversation with your IL! I think a lot of people might have said what you said, especially since you gave the money towards the winnings--like could you imagine loaning someone money and they won millions from the lottery?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
I have heard about that blog but I haven't been there before, I just heard it from a sweet designer I used to ct some 5 years ago, she told us that she saw a post about her and some other designers and the post was about their kits, it was bad topic, to the point that she retired after a while, she was hurt really and discouraged. We're friends on fb so I can see that she went back to designing again slowly, just recently.

I'm giving you a virtual hug sweety, some people can be really nasty...
OOh I want to know who!! So many of my designer friends retired several years ago and I miss them (and their products). Don't worry about telling me...then that would oust who was being talked about on the blog!

As far as here, I was just commenting to someone today that I love my SSD family. We may not be blood-related, but there are so many of us that have a relationship, whether new or old. I love that we can talk with people and not feel like we are being judged. Everyone is so accepting, helpful and just plain wonderful! This really is a positive community and I love being here! I love the gallery, seeing all the beautiful layouts being posted daily--I can't even keep up with the comments in the gallery!! So many inspirational pages being posted daily. I love it and love everyone here
Old 08-20-2019, 01:59 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

That smack blog was a horrible thing. I have learned not to waste my time with people who obviously are just miserable and want to tear others down. I am so sorry you were hurt. There is just no excuse for what they did. I hope you will post in our gallery. There are far more kind scrappers out there than there are those losers from the blog. (hugs)

I am sure I have said things and wished I could have expressed how I felt about the page better.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Not on gallery, but 2 days ago I was meaning to comment on my brother's deeper thought post on IG, instead, I was accidentally commenting on my friend's scenery photo, saying, "When did you get so melancholic?"

She replied me, "Not at all!"
I.was.so.embarrased!! I said sorry and explained to her of my mistake.
Never comment on someone's post, when you're exhausted!
Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hope I haven't posted comments that came across wrong - I truly mean to send love and appreciation for a great layout when I comment! I do say stupid stuff all the time. When we were new friends with another couple (more than 20 years ago) and they were at our house one night I said "you can leave whenever you want" which came out completely wrong! I meant that they didn't feel they had to stay, they could feel free to leave when they want to. They still joke about it today! Let's just say hospitality is not my gift! LOL

So sorry some of you have been hurt like that - how awful! I've never seen anything other than positive and encouraging here - love my SSD family! It truly is a safe, welcoming community, so I hope you do post more, Jen!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
"you can leave whenever you want" which came out completely wrong! I meant that they didn't feel they had to stay, they could feel free to leave when they want to.
LOL! I would totally say things like that! haha
Old 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Jen - that is so mean. That'll never happen here We all support and encourage each other.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Completely agree ladies, and thanks for the virtual hugs!! I can look back on it now and laugh a little, but at the time it was so shocking that people could be so mean. To be fair, okay, it was a layout about my brother freely sharing with my prude-ish grandparents that he had hemorrhoids - all in an effort to just completely shock them. Months later, they wrapped up a tube of Prep-H for his Christmas stocking, and it was truly so funny and I wanted to remember how much we laughed that day. They've both since passed away, and looking in my scrapbook at that memory totally makes me smile because with some of his antics, I feel like my brother "loosened them up" over the years.

I am kind of a lurker here, but posted my first layout in the gallery this year, even though I've been reading here for years. I feel like this is a safe place LOL so maybe I'll post more eventually.

Please post more!!!!!

Old 08-20-2019, 06:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't recall any, but if I have, I seriously hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

ugh. yeah. a few years back, i thought it would be nice to compliment and do a little constructive criticism. i wish i didn't because what do i know? sorry to anyone i may have offended.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I would actually love to receive some constructive criticism to make my layouts and techniques better... but everybody has such different styles that it might not make sense
Old 08-20-2019, 10:36 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Y'all, I worry so much about what I say online and in person. And who hasn't somehow stuck their foot in their mouth?
Old 08-22-2019, 04:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's the first time I heard about that kind of blog.
I really think those kind of person are just so miserable, they probably have a problem to need to judge others and makes them inferior. They probably have themselves a low self esteem and they need to reassure them doing that.
And in other hand, they really have nothing to do… Because when you have a true real life you have enough thing to do, great moments to live, time to scrap for being that mean and critisize others.
I really understand it hurts a lot to read those kind of comments it's a kind of bully.

I didn't think I said something that could be misinterpreted but in case I hurted somebody I'd really be so sorry as I really want to send love and explain why I love a layout! I just really regret to miss time to leave more love really!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post

I'm sorry Lea but it makes me bursting out laugh!
And reading you I was thinking "oh it's the French side" and you just wrote that! haha! Seriously I guess it's something you can't say that way but there's a little true in your question. As Wendy said imagine somebody you lent money and won million?