Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default a question about dogs more specifically puppies I guess

We bought a red merle Australian Shepherd last month. She is beautiful and so sweet (very competitive with our Keeshond thuogh). But she has taken to what I think is kinda strange behavior. You give her a treat and she takes it somewhere (our bed is one of her favorite places). digs around looking for the "perfect" spot and drops it. Then she uses her nose to cover it with blankets or whatever else is around to cover it (like at the front door we have a matt she will "bury" her things in.) So is this common in this breed? I have heard stories that dogs like to bury stuff but our keeshond never did that kind of thing. Before her we had a chow and a black lab/chow mix. None of them did that kind of thing. It cracks me up because its like it is a treat you are supposed to EAT it not BURY it!!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh and what else cracks me up is we will give both dogs the same treat but she will drop hers and go take Misty's (our keeshond) and then eat hers instead of the one we gave her. Misty is so easygoing and a lot of times she will take her treat and drop it in front of the puppy like she is giving it to her.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Too funny!

Our dog (shepherd mix) will eat his treats and pig ears, but will always try to hide rawhide. We've found them in the couch, in corners, and even in boxes of Christmas decorations (that one spent the summer in the attic!). The funniest thing was when he tried to hide an 18-inch rawhide bone by propping it up in the corner next to the chimney outside! Sometimes we'll give him a rawhide just to watch him try to find a place to hide it
Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I told my husband we should give her one and let her take it outside and see if she will really bury it or just hide it like she does in here
Old 05-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My dog ginger always buries her treats, she loves burying them in the blankets ... she has buried them in curtains (where it pools at the ground), she buries em in the couch, dirty clothes... yep, she is a flavor savor hehe then when she wants it she will go back and get it. When we moved in Feb, 3 pig ears fell out of the couch when the movers came
Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Our golden will hide her treats from us if they are unfinished or if she is not interested in eating them at that moment. She will even go back and re-hide them if you see her around the area she has placed one.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My dog (a Bullmastiff) hides his treats and rawhides. The funniest is when he buries his rawhides under a pile of flip flops. It cracks me up.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

My sheltie/terrier mix always does that but I've noticed it was mainly when our lab was still alive. She would basically hide the treats from him. Since he passed away in December she doesn't do it as often. But she does still do it.

And my best friends dachshund does the same thing. You will randomly fine treats all over the place at her house. lol
Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Our Golden mix used to do that ALL the time. Sometimes, my hubby would give him two biscuits, and man, you should have heard that dog whine and pace around trying to figure out what to do with TWO things to eat!

My daughter once found a rawhide bone under her pillow. (wasn't the tooth fairy, dear!) and my son found some treat or other tucked under his blankets. We still crack up about those even though Goldy has been gone for a year now. :*(

The only thing to worry about is if she gets food aggressive, but as veteran dog owners, I'm sure you know all about that!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Too funny!! Our dog does this sometimes - once we found it "buried" in a pile of dirty laundry! And my parents dog actually did bury a rawhide bone outside, and then winter came, and in the spring she dug it up and it was all mushy...uck!!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My Pom hides his treats too, usually in my bed. Then we it is time to go to sleep, he will dig it out from under the pillow and snack on it while I am getting ready for bed.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww that's cute. Our Shih Tzu puppy inhales her treats, so no burying there. lol She does love to snuffle around in the blankets on our bed though.

Her favorite treats are a stuffed kong and the dehydrated chicken strips.