Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm
Default Andrea, Star, Lizzy & other Brits

...fill us in on what Olympic fever is like now!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know! So exciting!! Can't wait to hear!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It's all over the TV and the papers - all the time, I think people are really into in, but where we live it seems to be very low key. We live in a village of only 600 people, 5 hours drive from London, so it all seems a bit far away to us.
Also, I don't know what it is about the UK - we seem to be the same about everything - but all the news seems to be concentrating on is what is going wrong (strikes at the airport, secutiry problems) and nothing about how amazing it all is.
I'm looking forward to the opening ceremony. I bet there are a lot of people throwing sickies from work today !!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatrout View Post
Also, I don't know what it is about the UK - we seem to be the same about everything - but all the news seems to be concentrating on is what is going wrong (strikes at the airport, secutiry problems) and nothing about how amazing it all is.
Really? I thought this was a Czech specifics. Here's the same.

I think it's gonna be amazing Games. I'm getting more and more excited each day, following the Czech team and some particular athletes (mainly the track & field ones, because we actually know some of them - we're a small country, you know LOL) on FB and reading almost everything I come across about the Olympics.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomi View Post
Really? I thought this was a Czech specifics. Here's the same.
I was going to say Slovaks were the same. And I was talking to a Portuguese guy recently, claiming it was our national characteristics and he told me it was the same in Portugal. So we came to the conclusion it's more or less a "Europe" thing. :-)

Old 07-26-2012, 03:21 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I live in the right smack bang in the middle of the country and there is not much hype around here. The torch pasted through several local towns over the past 3 weeks or so, people were loving this.

I was in London last month and the hype was better there, lots of flags/posters etc.. I have a friend who lives there and she has said its madness today with the amount of people around.

Im personally not big in to the olympics *runs and hides* but hope everyone enjoys what the UK puts on
Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomi View Post
I think it's gonna be amazing Games. I'm getting more and more excited each day, following the Czech team and some particular athletes (mainly the track & field ones, because we actually know some of them - we're a small country, you know LOL) on FB and reading almost everything I come across about the Olympics.
Isn't it amazing when you get to be involved with specific teams? We're following the US archery team closely, and are loving seeing their updates and watching the excitement build before they left, and reading what they 're doing now. It's made the Olympics even more fun for us this year!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Exactly Darcy!

I'm loving the possibilities internet gives us.

When I was younger and doing athletics, we all dreamt our secret dreams about Olympics. I was far away with my results but when I see the athletes whose dreams did come true, I'm so so excited for them. There are people I know when they were little kids coming to our stadium. There's a woman I used to compete on 200m from time to time and she then went on long tracks after her maternity break and now she's 40 years old and competing in marathon in London.

And I'm getting very emotional about the Games, I have to admit. I've warned my family I'm probably going to cry for the two weeks straight now.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And I'm gonna check the US archery team now.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

In Holland no different. This morning there was a story about the North Korean soccer team of whom they had shown the South Korean flag. Ouch!
And starting tonight we will have a daily show about it.....

Me personally....I am not so in the Olympic games at the moment. I am just waiting for my own match begins