Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Anyone have or had a toddler with hearing aids?

Some of you may remember when I mentioned and asked for prayers and to keep my little grandson in your thoughts when he initially failed all of his hearing tests at birth and then at 9 months we found out that he does have hearing loss. At the time, he did not need hearing aids though but he is now 2 1/2 and is not developing as he should and he now requires hearing aids.

So two things....first and foremost, will you please pray for my wee Laddy that his hearing does not get any worse and that the path laid out for him be as easy as possible? We know he will not get any better (at least not with today's technology and science) but, I just don't want it to get any worse. That was our biggest fear and it seems it has gotten worse thus far so I could use your hugs and love for him.

Second, the audiologist said to be prepared that the first few months would be pretty rough with him getting used to them and he would not like them at all. So, I was wondering if any of you have been through this with your child or grandchild, family member and can share with me your experiences.

Thank you girls for always being there for me. I know I haven't been around much as I have taken a huge break from being online altogether but I always wind up coming back here to my "home" because you always help me and are such a comfort to me. I appreciate all of your friendship and love.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I miss you, Neenee!!! I will keep Laddy and you in my prayers. I wish I had some advice for you, but all I have are hugs and prayers.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Poor little guy! I don't have any experience with it.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Aww Nee!! Will keep laddy and you in my prayers!
I have no advice but sending you both much love and big hugs hun xoxo
Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

you've got my prayers and love NeeNee!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

No experience here either, but I do have mad love for you and will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. Can't imagine how tough it's going to be for him.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

{{hugs}} No experience here with a little one... however my mom has had an hearing aid for 36 years or so... she is profoundly deaf without her aid. If you have an specific questions, I can see if my mom would know...
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No experience with it but I do hope that the transition for him goes smoothly. HUGS to all of you!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

(((hugs))) As you probably remember, my son is deaf and wore hearing aids for a bit before he got his cochlear implants. We didn't have a lot of experience with the hearing aids -- we pretty much only had him wear them until he could get him implants -- the hearing aids did nothing for him. But, I think one of the reasons that the kids struggle a bit with them is because for one -- everything is so loud to them once they have the aids. And secondly, it is so much for their brains to adjust to. The audiologist explained it to us that it is kind of like if you and I went and sat in a crowded restaurant for a few hours -- you know how you feel when you get out of the noisy environment and get into quiet -- your brain kind of feels a little weird. Well this is what it is like in normal everyday life for these kids when they first are able to hear better. He'll probably be a lot more tired for a while once he gets them just because it is so much for his brain to handle and it makes them tired. We really noticed this when Isaac got his implants. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask and I'll try to answer what I can. Do be prepared for the whistling from the hearing aids. Since kiddos grow so fast, the little molds they make for their ears don't fit for very long, and when you get any gaps then you get whistling from the aids. I'll be praying for your grandson and for you and your daughter. Big giant hugs!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My friend had them long ago (still does, obviously) but that experience wouldn't help because this was at a time when you had to wear the battery pack on your chest.

Some kids adjust better if a favorite "lovey" (stuffed animal/doll) also uses what they use. This blog has a list of dolls and stuffed animals that have hearing aids.

Sending positive thoughts for him.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. And a big thank you to you Heather for all of your information and story. And to you scrap2day for the info about the stuffed animals. I will definitely be getting him a Build A Bear with the hearing add accessory.

I am sorry for being so late to respond. My daughter and I are taking this pretty hard so I haven't had the courage to get on here to respond. My 10 1/2 year old dog suddenly passed away tragically on Sunday as well so it has been a rough week for us.

I am feeling incredibly alone right now as no one in my family other than my husband and my daughter seem to grasp the magnitude of what this means for Laddy and the rest of his life not to mention the possibility that it may continue to get worse. Most think I am over reacting and maybe I am but I can't help but be worried and highly concerned for my grandson and for his Mommy as I want to protect them both and be strong for them both. I know there are far worse things we could be going through and that this is mild compared to what some of the families here in our community have gone through but this is my reality and my first experience with something that is now a disability for someone in our family. Especially a 2 year old. Anyway, thank you girls and please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I have been in a very dark place in life for several months with my bipolar disorder and we lost another dog last October and my father in law two weeks after that so I have just about hit my breaking point. I really need some major healing vibes.

Love to all. Miss you girls.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Neenee I'm sending you a PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Poor little Laddy...I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers! Love you Nee and hang in there!!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

((Hugs)) Nee Nee! I know it's rough hearing that your child or grandchild has a physical or health issue that could impact the rest of his life and feeling like no one else understands. That's when my DS got the first of his big special needs diagnoses, too. Sounds like he's going to have a rough few months adjusting, but hopefully after that he'll make great strides catching up and his hearing won't get worse.

I had a friend in college with hearing aids. Without them he couldn't hear a thing; he had to keep a special device under his pillow that would vibrate to wake him if the fire alarm sounded. But with his hearing aids he loved listening to music, attended college lecture classes without any special accommodations, and was fully immersed in the speaking world.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes - to add on to Rachel - they have some amazing gadgets out there... my mom will be getting a device that uses the bluetooth in her hearing aid so she will be able to watch tv without close caption, listen to an ipod, and the radio... I'm sure these have been out there for a while, but she is going to a new audiologist that has convinced her to give it a try... she is pretty excited.

Hugs... thinking of your guys often!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hugs, Neenee! I don't have any experience with hearing loss but I vividely recall how difficult it was when my son was diagosed with a seizure disorder and my having to come to grips with the fact that he might have physical limitations on what he could do in life (and that other kids might give him a hard time about it). It's scary and a tough thing to adjust to for a parent or grandparent - especially when you don't know what to expect. As with most things, just try to take it one day at a time -- you all will work through it over time and worrying too much about what the future holds never helps (even though it's almost impossible not to do sometimes!).
Old 01-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Girls, thank you so much. You just can't imagine how much it means to me to have your encouraging stories and support through this. It really helps to keep me grounded, level headed and focused on the here and now and not the things that might happen in the future that are beyond my control.

I have been a bit better the last two days. I know the days leading up to the 7th of Feb (when he gets the aids placed) and the days following will be extremely difficult but I am trying not to worry about that right now and just take it day by day.

Keeping myself busy has been a major factor for my sanity. I try not to let myself have quiet time where I can think too much.

Anywho, thanks again everyone. Love and hugs to all of you great girls! XO

Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

(hugs)
I have no experience with it with one of my own children, but one of my longtime friends has a son who is deaf and has had cochlear implants. For the life of me though I can't remember if he ever used a hearing aid. She has documented all of their journey on her blog: http://quietsong.net/ and if you like I can put you in touch with her.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hugs Jeanye! I have had many students who as toddlers and preschoolers needed aids. I think Heather described it best. Just be ready to comfort him and be ready for crankiness as it is a lot of new sensory info to process. But at the same time think of what lies ahead- like increased language development- and that it'll all be worth it. And catching it early makes all the difference! Hugs and prayers your way- miss "seeing you" around FB.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!