Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default If you've read Outlander...

can you Plz tell me when its gonna hook me and suck me in? I'm on about page 200 or so and she is just about to marry Jamie... and the last chapter was better than the first 150 pages, but I've heard so much about this series and I want to love it and fall into it. BIG HUGE lovey romancey history books are just up my alley, the bigger the better and there are SEVEN of these so really really I want to just be consumed. Is that gonna happen? When? LOL

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've read all but the last one and I should be able to get that one in a couple of weeks on the Kindle from my library. I can't say that I've been hooked by them in quite the same way I've been hooked by other books, but I haven't stopped reading
Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I honestly don't remember if I actually got hooked. But if you are having a hard time with the first book, you'll have an even harder time with the 2nd one. It was the slowest for me and I skimmed a lot of it.

Also, Kate...ok, I had this really long rant written up, but I deleted it, so I just wanted to say, if I had known how book 7 was going to end, I never would have read it until book 8 was coming out. And Gabaldon hopes to have book 8 done by the end of 2012, which means it won't be published until who-knows-when in 2013.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was never hooked, lol. I tried and tried to get into it, but I was so bored. I was told is was such a good book, so I was determined to make it to the end at least. I really hated it compared to ... almost every other book I've read, lol. That's just me though - there are definitely some people that love it. So it just might not be your style of writing
Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i read the first two and i have to admit, i never did LOVE them - although i liked the first one better than the second ... i stopped reading after that b/c there are a lot of other books that i preferred to that series ..

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
Also, Kate...ok, I had this really long rant written up, but I deleted it, so I just wanted to say, if I had known how book 7 was going to end, I never would have read it until book 8 was coming out. And Gabaldon hopes to have book 8 done by the end of 2012, which means it won't be published until who-knows-when in 2013.
Eep! Maybe I shouldn't read the 7th book for a while...
Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I really enjoyed them a lot. I didn't really have trouble getting into them, but they are quite and endeavor. In fact I've been pondering a re read from the first one, but can't seem to commit to the time.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I liked the first one a lot, but they are so huge that I've just kept accumulating them until she's done with the series and then I'll read them consecutively.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I stopped at about page 150 of the first book - and I'm surprised I didn't stop before that (I've never forced myself to read a book I didn't like for that long) but like others said I had heard it was sooo good and kept waiting to get sucked in... never happened for me I moved on to other things - LOL
Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I liked the series a lot, but it took me a while to get into the first book. I think it wasn't until after Jamie and Claire got married, but I can't remember for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
Eep! Maybe I shouldn't read the 7th book for a while...
Don't! I read the entire series this summer thinking that book 7 was the last, and if I'd known it wasn't I would have waited. Usually when a new book in an ongoing series comes out I reread the last one before the new one to remind me what was happening. But between the length of book 7 and the fact that I didn't like the first half much (2nd half was very good), there's no way I'm rereading it.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I loooooved all of them from the start...even #2 and #7!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Is it bad that I remember loving book one, but cant remember it very well at all to tell you why? LOL.

R
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well I'm still at it and it HAS gotten better .....I think I'm gonna stick with it...

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I read the first one a year ago and liked it, started the second one, but abandoned it. I just can't get hooked on it. I'll try again this year, I guess...
Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I liked the first one.. but as my friend pointed out to me, her being history major(I think, she is), she was so immersed and fascinated with the history of that time that she spent more time on history than the plot line of the story. To me, history part was actually fascinating for me. Maybe that's why I loved the books.

There is a LOT that happens in first book after they've been married. So, eventually, it will pick up the pace.

for me, 5th book was super boring. I was reading on Kindle, so I can't tell how many page I read before I stopped, but it had to be over 100 pages and story just didn't move!!! I still haven't got back to it after a year!