Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community

Old 05-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default I give up scrapping tonight (she says as she throws her hands up in the air)

I'm on my new laptop and last week it scrapped with CS3 just fine ... the past couple of days it takes several minutes to 5+ minutes just to open a paper ... it's taking FOREVER to put together even the SIMPLEST of layouts ...

I've tried defrag (didn't need it), virus scanning, malware bytes, and spybot ... nothing appears to be wrong. ...then WHY is it moving soooooo slowly in Photoshop? I had a BUNCH of time these last two days to scrap and just took forever to OPEN things ... saving was fine ... so strange.

Have you ever had that happen? I'll see what other scans it can run tonight ... but I give up ... darn it. Hopefully I can get whatever fixed before NSD this weekend.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

restarting the computer usually helps me.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That's strange and frustrating! Until a few days ago I was using CS3 on a Windows 7 laptop and it was slow, but not nearly as slow as you're describing. Only thing I can think of (and this is probably a long shot) is to check if somehow Bridge is trying to start automatically when you start up the laptop or launch PS. The CS3 version of Bridge didn't work at all on my laptop, and anytime I accidentally launched it PS slowed way down.

The other thing I'd do is look through your PS preferences-is there anything about opening files that could have gotten changed? Otherwise I don't know why you'd only have the problem when opening things. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Last edited by rach3975; 05-01-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
restarting the computer usually helps me.
This!!

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Also check how many fonts you have installed. I'm on CS3 on W7 too, and I know it's slower than usual, because I have something like 600 fonts installed (many of which came with the darned computer) so I need to uninstall some.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That happened to me when one of my fonts became corrupted. Have you installed any fonts recently?

You might also try resetting the Photoshop preferences. That sometimes helps too.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
Also check how many fonts you have installed. I'm on CS3 on W7 too, and I know it's slower than usual, because I have something like 600 fonts installed (many of which came with the darned computer) so I need to uninstall some.
Lex - by the time W7 came around, the number of fonts didn't effect things the way it did in previous versions. However, 600 is a lot You need an organizer ROFL

Sharon - occasionally a font and Photoshop can have an unhealthy relationship and become very passive-aggressive towards each other. It helps to separate the two and send them into their own corners to cool down a bit LOL

If rebooting hasn't helped, uninstall the latest fonts that you've installed, reboot, and try again.

The other thing to check is where your scratch disks are going to and how much space is being dedicated to it. If it's too little, it'll just bog down because it can't send those temp files anywhere.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Lex - by the time W7 came around, the number of fonts didn't effect things the way it did in previous versions. However, 600 is a lot You need an organizer ROFL
LOL Darcy, I do have an organizer (well, Font Viewer is loosely defined as an organizer). Normally I just install fonts temporarily, but since I inherited this laptop there were already quite a number of fonts installed, many I've never heard of but I think are native to Adobe? LOL I do need to clean them out.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Eep. I have over 2000 fonts installed. I wonder if that's why things run slow for me too.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, Mary - shouldn't be. Once XP came along, fonts didn't really bother the OS system any longer. Before then, yes, it would've been an issue. But they don't anymore.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Sharon - occasionally a font and Photoshop can have an unhealthy relationship and become very passive-aggressive towards each other. It helps to separate the two and send them into their own corners to cool down a bit LOL

If rebooting hasn't helped, uninstall the latest fonts that you've installed, reboot, and try again.

The other thing to check is where your scratch disks are going to and how much space is being dedicated to it. If it's too little, it'll just bog down because it can't send those temp files anywhere.
I haven't even messed with preferences on CS3 since I installed it on this new laptop ... it's set at 54% of RAM, scratch disk (C) has 247GB, history states 26, cache 6, enable 3D acceleration is checked.

I honestly don't remember actually INSTALLING a font in the last month ... I generally "load" them through Font Xplorer.

I generally power down my computer every night except in the case of last night when I was running different things like virus scan at a certain time, and defrag (which it didn't need).

Ok Darcy I could use some guidance here (or pointing me to right spot on the web) ... somewhere I remember seeing a "do not uninstall these fonts" page ... it appears upon boot up of CS3 I do have some fonts loaded that are "extras" although not near as many as on my old laptop. I would like to take off all but the necessary fonts to make things run (plus maybe 10 favorites that I would like to install).

To my knowledge (looking at the list that showed up when I rebooted my computer and opened up CS3) ... there are probably only a dozen extra at most ... because most of them I don't recognize as ones I downloaded (unless they were for challenges here at SSD).

I have my extra fonts in a folder on my C drive ... that is where I go to temporarily load fonts during CS3.

I use Font Xplorer and just load and unload my fonts (although I have a rather LARGE folder that has ONLY just your fonts that I load 98% of the time) ... if I tell it to "load" one of your fonts... it seems to load them all for that particular session of CS3 ... should I break your font folder down to smaller ... or use a different font organizer that would only "load" the particular font that I tell it to load???

Oh jeesh this discussion reminds me that I bought some custom fonts from you quite awhile back and the boys never did get them drawn up ... I am post-a-noting that right now and attaching to my extra monitor screen ... I totally forgot with all the school stuff going on this year!

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
That's strange and frustrating! Until a few days ago I was using CS3 on a Windows 7 laptop and it was slow, but not nearly as slow as you're describing. Only thing I can think of (and this is probably a long shot) is to check if somehow Bridge is trying to start automatically when you start up the laptop or launch PS. The CS3 version of Bridge didn't work at all on my laptop, and anytime I accidentally launched it PS slowed way down.

The other thing I'd do is look through your PS preferences-is there anything about opening files that could have gotten changed? Otherwise I don't know why you'd only have the problem when opening things. I hope you get it figured out soon.
I use Bridge a LOT ... but specifically when I am taking photos from my computer card and downloading to my computer ... so I can add the Metadata and organize them (including renaming). ...but it doesn't appear to be loading on it's own.

It does have open JPG as RAW images for processing ... which I know it slows it down for say 5-10 seconds ... but it brings up the image/background paper and I just click through it ... that way I can enhance the photos when I pull them into CS3 (learned that from an online class) ... unfortunately it sees papers as photographs ... but I've been doing that way for a long time ... and things have never been this slow ... waiting for several minutes ... it is even doing this slow down on png elements (not bringing up for editing...just very slow)....

I hope so too! I go in for a root canal Thursday afternoon ... I am hoping to get all the "staples" laid out on the dining room table by recipe .... before I go to the dentist. ...that way Friday morning I can get up and start cooking a TON for Cinco de Mayo before my oldest goes to college at 2pm (he is helping me) ... plus there is a dog vet appointment that morning. I am hoping to get almost all of my baking done ... and make up the taco meat for recipes, chicken cooked, enchiladas baked before he leaves ... then pick up the house Friday evening ... so that way almost all day Saturday I can enjoy Cinco de Mayo with my sister's family when they come over that evening for dinner (there will be 9 of us) ... best laid plans ... but I hope to get some scrapping done Saturday.

I am thinking I will get started Friday at 7am ... provided my root canal doesn't give me any trouble ... I already have a crown on that tooth ... and right now no pain ... but they said there is infection there as the gum has a little "tail" that is holding it ... no antibiotics as of yet ... here's hoping I will get all my food cooked Friday and be able to scrap Saturday ... and my mouth will be up to eating.

P.S. Don't give me any root canal horror stories ... I am on a positive thought that all will go well and I'll feel good Friday/Saturday to cook and eat.

Last edited by Sharon Kay; 05-02-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Honestly, Mary - shouldn't be. Once XP came along, fonts didn't really bother the OS system any longer. Before then, yes, it would've been an issue. But they don't anymore.
Good, because I've had tons of fonts installed for years.