Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-25-2016, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question Wide Angle Lens for Harry Potter/Universal Studios???

We are getting ready to go to Universal Studio/Islands of Adventure to visit Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, etc. and I would like to purchase a wide angle (low f stop) to use in shops, maybe Diagon Alley, or anywhere I might need a wide angle to get good shots WITHOUT using a flash. I don't think I want a zoom as I can switch lens if that makes it less expensive.

We are also going to be visiting Disney for 2 days ... I know there were many times over the last several years I wished I had had a wide angle lens.

Suggestions on where to look for best price & what do you recommend for a lens? I don't want it looking distorted (circular) ... would like as natural as possible. Thank you!

One of these days I am going to start scrapping again...I have continued to buy kits...my next album which I would like to have completed within 3 months is my college graduation album! My kids are all in their 20's now...and I am graduating college!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My friend just bought a 24mm lens and is loving it. We talked and talked for weeks. They are in Korea and she wanted something wider than her 50 for markets and places and no flash. She shoots canon - I think she found the best price on Amazon. She didn't go with the fancy one that was super top of the line but did have a nice low f stop. Seems very sharp and I think was under $150.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
We are getting ready to go to Universal Studio/Islands of Adventure to visit Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, etc. and I would like to purchase a wide angle (low f stop) to use in shops, maybe Diagon Alley, or anywhere I might need a wide angle to get good shots WITHOUT using a flash. I don't think I want a zoom as I can switch lens if that makes it less expensive.

We are also going to be visiting Disney for 2 days ... I know there were many times over the last several years I wished I had had a wide angle lens.

Suggestions on where to look for best price & what do you recommend for a lens? I don't want it looking distorted (circular) ... would like as natural as possible. Thank you!

One of these days I am going to start scrapping again...I have continued to buy kits...my next album which I would like to have completed within 3 months is my college graduation album! My kids are all in their 20's now...and I am graduating college!
Have you been to Universal? If not, I just wanted you to be aware that some of the larger rides (HP, for example) do not allow anything to be carried on. And I mean anything... no loose change in your pocket, keys, sunglasses, etc. Everything has to be stored in a locker. Plenty of picture opportunities outside of the rides themselves, but thought it was worth mentioning. Have fun!!
Old 03-29-2016, 12:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Good to see you around again, Sharon! Congrats on your graduation. We just came back from Disney, and I used my kit zoom because I knew I wouldn't want to carry multiple primes. I had to use a very high ISO at times, but I got decent photos in some very low light conditions. The lens I used was 14-42. (I forget exactly how it compares, but if I remember correctly a 35 on my camera is equivalent to a 50 on many DSLRs.) A better zoom is my dream lens, but they're pretty expensive for my micro 4 thirds mirrorless.

At Disney World they do let you bring a camera, bag, etc on most rides. There were some where I switched to my waterproof, breakesistant phone or put the camera away entirely, but no one ever told me I had to. Many rides prohibited flash photography, but I don't think I went on anything that prohibited all photography.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited by rach3975; 03-29-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I used a 28mm at Universal. Some of the rides do not allow stuff to be brought on but you can avoid that if you have a nonider in your group. THey can just wait on the other side when you get off the ride (or could last time I went 2 years ago)
Old 03-29-2016, 04:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My first time in Universal, my humongus lens was a con.
I went again in December and I decided to use my phone and I bough a photo connect package. No complications, no rush, no worries.

Made using Selfie Addict by Digilicious Designs
Old 03-29-2016, 10:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You should check your local camera shops and see if anyone rents lenses. A 24or28 mm should fit your needs.

Tags
camera, disney, lens, potter, universal