Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-21-2020, 02:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default University (not scrapping related)

I quit my job, which I hated and am going to university come August. A little scary to be making such a big change in the middle of my 30s, but if not now when right?

Anyone ever did something to change their lives up completely in hopes of making it better?
Old 07-21-2020, 05:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Congrats! Change is scary but it can be fun too. I always encourage my kids to do what they love, not what makes the most money. I also have been encouraging them to learn as much as they can in whatever interests them. My soon to be 16 yr old is taking a bunch of free classes this summer on all sorts of topics like sign lanugage, creative writing, criminology and more.
Good luck! I am sure you will do great.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

WOW! Thats great! But def a little scary!!! I wish you the best of luck!!

In 2012 I left my teaching job to start my own child care from home.... it was scary at first and the last 4 months.... but it was the best decision for me and our family!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 07-21-2020, 09:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That's so exciting! I love new adventures. We relocated from Malaysia to the Philippines when I was 35 and had just had a baby to take a new job with our organization, and it was such a good decision! It was a huge learning curve, and it was so hard, but I think we both grew a lot from the experience.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
Congrats! Change is scary but it can be fun too. I always encourage my kids to do what they love, not what makes the most money. I also have been encouraging them to learn as much as they can in whatever interests them. My soon to be 16 yr old is taking a bunch of free classes this summer on all sorts of topics like sign lanugage, creative writing, criminology and more.
Good luck! I am sure you will do great.
That sounds exciting with all those different classe. Criminology sounds really interesting.
And thank you for the well wishes.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
That's so exciting! I love new adventures. We relocated from Malaysia to the Philippines when I was 35 and had just had a baby to take a new job with our organization, and it was such a good decision! It was a huge learning curve, and it was so hard, but I think we both grew a lot from the experience.
That's a big change. I'm glad it was a good one and you both got something out of it.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
WOW! Thats great! But def a little scary!!! I wish you the best of luck!!

In 2012 I left my teaching job to start my own child care from home.... it was scary at first and the last 4 months.... but it was the best decision for me and our family!
When I was younger I always though of doing something of my own and starting ym own business, never did that though. It sounds somehow more scary than just changing jobs, I'm glad it was right for you.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Scary but exciting! What are you going to school for?

I haven't made that kind of life change, but there's a decent chance I will within the next 5 years. (And to make it scarier, I'm about 10 years older than you!) I was a SAHM when the kids were little. By the time I went back to work, DS2's special needs and DH's long hours meant that I had to change fields and work part time. That's still our situation. DS2 is 14 now. He's on the autism spectrum and has speech and writing disorders that will affect him for life. When he graduates, I don't think anyone will hire him even though he's capable of doing the right job. Some special needs parents in that situation end up starting businesses and employing their adult children, and I'm starting to think about whether something like that might be in the cards for us. Ultimately I don't know if anything will come of the idea, but with DS starting high school in the fall I'm starting to feel like we need to think more seriously about his future. I'm also starting to look ahead to a time when I don't need to work part time anymore to make it all work. I like my current job, but I don't want to work in this field full time.

Last edited by rach3975; 07-22-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:04 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Proud of you for having the courage to take a chance.

I too left a job I had done for 20 years without another job or college to go to. Because of others life choices, a job opened up which was perfect for me. I've been at this new job for 18 years.

Change is scary, but many times we have to take a leap of faith and dive into our next great adventure.

Good Luck
Old 07-22-2020, 01:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Good for you!! It is scary but if that's what was calling you then that's awesome!
Old 07-23-2020, 01:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Good for you for taking a leap of faith Christine! What will you be studying? I haven't made any changes like that but commend those that aren't afraid to do what's right for them.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yay for changes that are making a better, happier you!!! I'm so happy for you. As far as me, no I can't say that I've done something like that unless you count following my husband all over the country starting over every 1-3 years?

You got this and I'm so proud (and excited) for you!!
Old 07-28-2020, 09:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Scary but exciting! What are you going to school for?

I haven't made that kind of life change, but there's a decent chance I will within the next 5 years. (And to make it scarier, I'm about 10 years older than you!) I was a SAHM when the kids were little. By the time I went back to work, DS2's special needs and DH's long hours meant that I had to change fields and work part time. That's still our situation. DS2 is 14 now. He's on the autism spectrum and has speech and writing disorders that will affect him for life. When he graduates, I don't think anyone will hire him even though he's capable of doing the right job. Some special needs parents in that situation end up starting businesses and employing their adult children, and I'm starting to think about whether something like that might be in the cards for us. Ultimately I don't know if anything will come of the idea, but with DS starting high school in the fall I'm starting to feel like we need to think more seriously about his future. I'm also starting to look ahead to a time when I don't need to work part time anymore to make it all work. I like my current job, but I don't want to work in this field full time.
I'm taking a bachelor in English. It seems the bare minimum for people hiring you is a bachelors degree or a masters so I'll just have to start. Eventually I hope to build it into a master, then add on so I can teach, but we'll see what happens.
I hope you can find a solution that works for both your DS and yourself.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jema View Post
Proud of you for having the courage to take a chance.

I too left a job I had done for 20 years without another job or college to go to. Because of others life choices, a job opened up which was perfect for me. I've been at this new job for 18 years.

Change is scary, but many times we have to take a leap of faith and dive into our next great adventure.

Good Luck
Thank you! It's a bit scary, but oh so relieving when you leave a job that's not right for you. In my case the work and coworkers were alright, but my boss was unorganised and it made work chaotic. Also my body is fighting me and the job got to heavy. So when they offered up a severance check I jumped on it. When one door closes, another will open.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
Good for you for taking a leap of faith Christine! What will you be studying? I haven't made any changes like that but commend those that aren't afraid to do what's right for them.
Bachelor in English, then hopefully build on that into a masters degree and more so I can teach or get a job I like.
Having them offer up severance payment helps.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Yay for changes that are making a better, happier you!!! I'm so happy for you. As far as me, no I can't say that I've done something like that unless you count following my husband all over the country starting over every 1-3 years?

You got this and I'm so proud (and excited) for you!!
Thank you!
That does sound a bit more scary, starting over every 1-3 years.
This will be good for me and my future self.
Also, I can do my 3rd year in Hawaii if I get the grades, so talk about motivation!
Old 07-30-2020, 03:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That's so exciting, Christine! You are a brave woman making this move. I can't wait to hear about your new adventure!