Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Question I know something similar has been asked

I think it was asked not that long ago if you ever ask a designer if you can be on their CT when they don't have a call going on, but what I'm wondering is how do the designers feel about that?

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 05-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I love it! Honestly, most of the time, I don't have a spot when people ask, BUT when I know someone is interested, it always makes me look at their gallery a little more closely. Then, when a spot opens up, that person is at the front of my mind. I really don't like doing calls. I prefer inviting privately, so if I know someone is interested, it makes it easier for me to ask them.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I've wondered this same thing! Looking forward to the designers' input on this one...
Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A very good question, Trish. It never occurred to me people asked, too. This will be an interesting thread to read.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I usually don't have a spot open when asked but I do keep people that are interested on file for either a guest spot or open spot when I have one. I despise calls..probably won't have another one in a LONG time (actually never really had one just a guest one)

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Oh thanks for asking this, Trish I've been wondering too!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have asked like two or so designers and honestly for me it was really hard to ask. I think if I was a designer I would find it flattering since Ive been on the other side and know how hard it is to put yourself out there whether its for an open call or just to see if someone has an open spot. Most designers also scrapbook and Im guessing have applied to be on teams before becoming a designer or are currently on teams so they get how it feels to put themselves out there as well. At any rate Ive never had a negative reaction from anyone Ive asked (meaning like a rude or unkind response LOL I have had my share of no's LOL)

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never outright asked a designer to be on their team. I've asked when they are doing their next call so I can be prepared and because of me asking she later invited me to be on her team it was awesome! so it certainly doesn't hurt to let the designer know that you'd love to be part of her team

Old 05-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad to see this post, and thrilled to see Libby's response! I think perhaps another, related, question might have to do with a Designer's feelings towards scrappers who, ahem, "stalk" them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
I love it! Honestly, most of the time, I don't have a spot when people ask, BUT when I know someone is interested, it always makes me look at their gallery a little more closely. Then, when a spot opens up, that person is at the front of my mind. I really don't like doing calls. I prefer inviting privately, so if I know someone is interested, it makes it easier for me to ask them.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been known to ask my favorite designers... even stalk them ... asking if they had any openings and if not, when they were anticipating their next call... I had a couple that asked me joined right there... and others that told me that they didn't have any opening at this time, but would keep me in mind for the next time they have openings... I did have a couple (not here) that just ignored my email all together...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I know I'm not designing here, but for me personally, and I think for most designers in general, I don't mind at all. I also hate doing calls and avoid them if possible, so it's nice to have scrappers in mind when I have open spots.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

The best team is made up of people that truly love a designer's work, so it is always awesome to get a PM that asks if I have any open spots. However, I don't typically have an opening available right away but I try to keep those people in mind when I am on the hunt for a new team member.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I have asked designers before. But i make sure that I really really love their stuff and really want to be there. I would hate for them to do me a favor by taking me on and then not living up to everything i promised.

With that being said, I pretty much told Cindy that if she didn't take me, that I would flood her gallery and stalk her until she did eventually take me. LOL. AND she DID!! HAHA
Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love threads like this, its great to know what the designers are thinking.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've only asked when it was a designer whose CT I was already on. Some didn't have openings, but one did.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ha! Reading this, now I'm wondering ... are the designers' pm boxes now being swamped with CT requests ...?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

hahah. I was wondering that too ... It crossed my mind to hit one or two few up. . .

The Wheelchair Mommy Tweet*Tweet

William-2004, Lucas-2008 & Nathan-Summer 2011
Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Now View Post
Glad to see this post, and thrilled to see Libby's response! I think perhaps another, related, question might have to do with a Designer's feelings towards scrappers who, ahem, "stalk" them...
I have a designer that I pretty much stalk. Now I am wondering if her box is being inundated with all kinds of love LOL. Maybe I should get mine in there before it's too late LOL!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm149 View Post
I know I'm not designing here, but for me personally, and I think for most designers in general, I don't mind at all. I also hate doing calls and avoid them if possible, so it's nice to have scrappers in mind when I have open spots.
This! When I switched stores, I had a bunch of scrapper friends ask when I was having a call. I knew their work from CTing with them so they got added to my team since I was looking to expand anyways. I am with just about every designer, I hate calls. I would rather privately invite. But if someone asked me, I would either offer a spot if I had one and they fit the bill or keep them in mind when I do have a spot.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I've been known to ask my favorite designers... even stalk them ... asking if they had any openings and if not, when they were anticipating their next call... I had a couple that asked me joined right there... and others that told me that they didn't have any opening at this time, but would keep me in mind for the next time they have openings... I did have a couple (not here) that just ignored my email all together...
What she said. lol

It takes me a while to work up the courage, but I've asked a couple of my favorites. And despite whether or not they have any openings, I want them to know how much I love their designs.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
What she said. lol

It takes me a while to work up the courage, but I've asked a couple of my favorites. And despite whether or not they have any openings, I want them to know how much I love their designs.
Yep, I agree with Leah and Rebecca... I've only done it a few times, and I personally think it's really hard, but I really do want those designers to know how much I love their designs.

Of course I have a few I'm stalking at the moment... LOL... and I'm sure they know who they are!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
I've only asked when it was a designer whose CT I was already on. Some didn't have openings, but one did.
Huh? Why would you ask if you were already on their CT?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I only ever sent one an PM, and that was La. And really, I just asked when/if she'd be having a call any time soon. Later, she invited me to be a part of her team, which was totally awesome! And I'm still there almost 3 years later LOL.

I've never sent one to anyone else. I have a lot of designers I love, but I just wait for calls.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've done it 4 times, Shabby Princess, Lauren Grier, Zoe Pearn & Fee Jardine, and I've been with them all about 4 years now and Fee I've been with for 3. I started out as a guest on La's team and got invited to stay. I basically asked if they had calls coming up anytime soon. And it totally worked out for me. I never say, hey can I be on your team, just ask if they have a call coming up soon or if they're ever looking for a guest, etc. Its hard to write those emails, but if they're designers you love and you know you can do their goodies justice, then email them!
Old 05-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

interesting and not the least; inspiring thread!
Old 05-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

WOW! Very enlightening thread, I must say. Eventhough there are certainly designers for whom I'd cut off an arm to be on their CT, it would never in a million years have occurred to me to approach them instead of the other way around! And right now (when I've been so busy with life and non-productive from a scrapping standpoint for the the past two months) wouldn't be a great time for me to even ask . . . but I am definitely going to consider this for future. Thanks for starting the thread, Trish - I mean, who knew?!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post
Huh? Why would you ask if you were already on their CT?
i think she means guest spots? maybe?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
i think she means guest spots? maybe?
Yes, that's what I also thought. And one other thought - CTs aren't for life, are they? You might have a situation that makes you leave the CT and after the situation is over, you might want to come back to the CT.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
And one other thought - CTs aren't for life, are they? You might have a situation that makes you leave the CT and after the situation is over, you might want to come back to the CT.
I think this is what Paula meant... I think I remember she went on for more schooling and took a break from scrapping for a bit... It's awesome to have her back scrapping!!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've done this and it's paid off! (and I'm still with said designer) I've always been of the mindset that everything's worth a try The other day someone told me: you'll always miss the shots you DON'T take 100%. But if you try, probability goes up 50%

On a hilarious note, I've also applied for calls to favorite designers (who admittedly are friends) and they've answered me with "wth are you doing applying? If I knew you wanted to be on team, I'd let you. Weirdo."
Old 05-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
On a hilarious note, I've also applied for calls to favorite designers (who admittedly are friends) and they've answered me with "wth are you doing applying? If I knew you wanted to be on team, I'd let you. Weirdo."
I had that happen once. A girl I knew from one website started designing on another site, and I followed her there to buy her designs. When I had a call she said "Um. Duh. Of course you're on the team. Why did you even apply?"

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 05-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've never done it, but that's because of my own insecurities regarding my LO's. When I used to design I would love it when I received those kind of emails/PM's.

Pouring my creative self into perfection made by Ju Kneipp