Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-13-2019, 11:34 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Christmas Shopping

I am happy to say I am done Christmas shopping. It is probably my favorite part of the holiday because I love finding just the right gifts for my family and friends, but I always feel better when I have finished.

How about you? Are you done? If so, what gift did you buy that is going to be the biggest surprise?

I am torn between two, because they are both going to be huge surprises.

I bought my son a mac air book that I got a sweet deal on. He is going to be very surprised when he opens it. I can't wait to see his face.

I bought a dollhouse for my sister. I saw her looking at them when we were in Hobby Lobby this past summer and she said she was thinking it might be fun to do one. She hasn't brought one yet, so I did. I am not as sure about her face when she sees it, but I am crossing my fingers that it was a good idea.

I'd love to hear about the special gifts you brought to surprise your loved ones..
Old 12-13-2019, 12:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am almost done...with wrapping too!
Old 12-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I need to get out there and get my shopping done. I've bought clothes and jewelry for the girls but I need to figure out what else to get and haven't even thought of anything for my hubs yet. We're going small on gifts this year and its a challenge trying to figure out what to get.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to UP Mall Monday, Lorie, and buying all the presents I need (hopefully) with a friend. My son is the only one to have a particular present request so I need to check to see if someone in my family already bought it or if I need to do so.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've got all my shopping done, just need everything to arrive in the mail. Black Friday and online shopping has been my saving grace this year. All that's left is to wrap and give.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm done also! I got the last two gifts last night and finished wrapping this morning. I'm done with all the sweets too. I still might make chocolate sugar cookies, but we'll see.
The big gifts are Air Pod Pros for both my girls. My younger one knew Air Pods were coming (she thought for her birthday on NYE), but not the Pros. My older daughter will be totally surprised. It about killed me that there were no deals on them, but oh well.
I'm sure your gifts will be well-liked, Lorie. Giving is truly one of the fun parts of Christmas.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love your presents! The dollhouse is so thoughtful and sweet. She's going to love it!!

I'm all done shopping. 95% of the presents are already wrapped, except for what we shipped to my MIL's house. I'll wrap those once we get there next week.

Best gift? I bought Central Perk Legos, based after the tv series, Friends for my oldest daughter. She has NO idea it even is a thing and I think she'll be shocked and excited to build it, when we get back in town to have Christmas at the house.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm most excited to see her face (and everyone elses) when she opens that present!
Old 12-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I love your presents! The dollhouse is so thoughtful and sweet. She's going to love it!!

I'm all done shopping. 95% of the presents are already wrapped, except for what we shipped to my MIL's house. I'll wrap those once we get there next week.

Best gift? I bought Central Perk Legos, based after the tv series, Friends for my oldest daughter. She has NO idea it even is a thing and I think she'll be shocked and excited to build it, when we get back in town to have Christmas at the house.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm most excited to see her face (and everyone elses) when she opens that present!
I got that Lego set also but for my husband and me. I labeled it from Santa! ha ha I hope my girls will want to help build it too, but I'm not sure if they've ever even watched the show.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My baby Leonie is going to have the most thoughtful present but she won't even realize it. lol I made her a board book of our family with pics of us. I found a company that makes them. It wasn't cheap!

I mostly bought books for my girls. Nothing too crazy. I don't want to add more clutter to the house so it's been hard deciding if I got them the things they really wanted or not.

I got my husband a money clip/wallet because his is all busted. But I can never come up with anything cool for him. I don't work so it's hard for me to buy things. And when he needs things he always gets them for himself.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I got that Lego set also but for my husband and me. I labeled it from Santa! ha ha I hope my girls will want to help build it too, but I'm not sure if they've ever even watched the show.
This is so cool! I love Legos but we don't have any in the house yet.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm just about done too- I have a few stocking stuffers yet, and one giftcard that I know I'll grab tomorrow at the mall.

As far as best gift... maybe the new dogman book my son doesn't even know was released but LOVES them all... I'm SUPER excited for my daughter to open her paint by number canvas I had made of our dog- she's 11 & hard to buy for- so this fits perfectly with her love of art & dogs!
Old 12-13-2019, 05:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not buying any presents this year - we are going on a holiday to Tasmania over Christmas (3 weeks in total) which will include lots of hiking, tourist attractions and fun things for kids so that is effectively the Christmas present. This has meant no need to think about what to buy anyone which has been such a relief! That said, I'll probably still give my boys some money on Christmas Day that they can spend on whatever they like while we're there.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
William helped me wrap it tonight. He knew exactly what it was and said, "ah man. . . .I kind of want this for myself" then asked if his sister would let him play/build it!
Old 12-13-2019, 09:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, Wendy, maybe you'll have to get him the apartment if they ever come out with that. That would be so cool!
Old 12-13-2019, 11:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sometime in the next week I need to sit down, look over the list of exactly what I've bought, decide what night I'm giving each thing, and then fill in as needed. The younger 2 still like to get a gift each night of Hanukkah, so some are more like stocking stuffers and others are medium sized gifts. I haven't bought any of the stocking stuffer type gifts yet. We don't give big gifts until they get to the point where they're fine with just getting 1 or 2 gifts instead of 8, so the only one I'd consider it for is my 16 year old. His computer and phone are only a year and a half old, and there's nothing else big that he wants. I think all 3 of my kids are hard to buy for. None of them really want stuff just to have stuff, and they never have 8 or more things on a wishlist. I'm lucky if each can name 2 or 3 things they really want.

I'm kinda "meh" about all the gifts this year. They got what they wanted and a few other things, but it's just not the same as buying for little kids who get so excited or surprising a bigger kid with something they had no idea about or never thought they'd get. How excited can you really get about giving a backpack purse or a board game?

DH is the only one getting a big present, for his birthday in January. He's getting a Playstation Bundle. I'm excited because I got a good price on Black Friday, but he asked for it so it's not like he'll be surprised.

I think the "gift" I'm most excited about is going away overnight with DD next weekend. It wasn't really meant as a gift, but since it's close to her birthday it may end up being an early birthday present.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Well, Wendy, maybe you'll have to get him the apartment if they ever come out with that. That would be so cool!
That would be awesome if they did that!! I'd love to see more sets from the show!!
Old 12-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

they are not bought yet but for my elder it will be Airpods and for my 13 year old son it will be a laptop gamer
Old 12-14-2019, 03:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm coming back to say the biggest surprise was me buying myself a laptop! I had been talking to my father since we sold our house, trying to find the best one to suit my needs. The week of Black Friday, HP was having a major sale. My dad and I scoured the website every single day and on Wednesday, I ordered myself a laptop, saving over $1000 on it!! I was excited that I forgot to tell my husband I ordered it!

When it arrived at the house this week, my husband was home and I said, "oh you and the kids bought my Christmas gift already" as I opened the package. He was shocked that I FINALLY bought a laptop, something that I've been talking about doing for the past three years! Definitely the biggest gift purchased and the most shocking because it's something I talk about doing all the time, but always talk myself out of doing. I'm so glad my parents were on the other end convincing me to finally make this decision, because it would be this time next year of me saying "I really need to get a laptop", just like I've done every single year!
Old 12-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I'm coming back to say the biggest surprise was me buying myself a laptop!
Congrats and enjoy! Sounds like you got a great deal!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2019, 02:29 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We've done our Christmas shopping on 11.11 sale (similar to Black Friday, but earlier in the month). We've got mostly necessary things; a pair of sneakers for Michael & a cast iron pot that I've been eyeing for awhile, both on very good deals!
I got myself a starbucks French press set that is so cute & a replacement cup for Michael, since he's been asking Santa for one, when he broke his.
I still have yet filled his stockings though; I'm thinking small stuffs like lip balm, loose leaf papers for school & things that he really needs.
We were going to get him a kids camera, but hubby decided to postpone that for the next occasion.
I was going to buy hubby an Apple watch, but he declined, though he wants one. So... still thinking on that one.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We bought ourselves a new coffee maker/keurig duo yesterday as our coffee started leaking a few days ago. It was so nice to take the keurig machine off the counter and just have one instead of 2. It works great and there are a few pros and cons for it compared to old machines, 2 hr timer instead of 4 (I can live with that) but a big pro is that the single serve side is fully adjustable for cup size and I can make a big single cup and could do that with my old one. So, an early gift for us...yay.

I went shopping last night and bought a cutting board to put beside the sink (where the old keurig sat) and ended up buying a bunch of xmas gifts so now I'm almost done. I feel like it's manageable now. I don't have a lot left to buy and can focus this wk on getting some wrapping done.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My nieces are soon to be 18 so it was a gift card to AE for each of them and a stainless water bottle that I got a fantastic deal on. Their birthdays are beginning of January so I will give them some money as they are going on a cruise for March Break.

Parents I got them a gift card to their favourite restaurant so they can treat themselves.

My SIL I will buy her a bottle of her favourite wine and my brother I will find beer from different countries to try. We always just get each other a little something.

The boy I get him a mix of things, a gift card to AE, cash and I bought him a Yeti Rambler tumbler so he can take his tea to go. His Santa Bag (rather than a stocking) will have sockes, underwear, favourite chocolates, body wash, shampoo and all that stuff.

Harlow (the dog) got a new plaid collar yesterday but I will get her a toy and some biscuits.

I bought myself a flash for my camera

Pretty much done, just have to do the wine/beer and then wrap it.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So we are opposites, Lorie, because buying gifts steals all the holiday joy for me.

I have bought zero presents, and yesterday Joel made me sit down & make a list of presents we need to buy, and I said, "I hate Christmas." He said, "I know. But that is irrelevant."

Gifts are stupid. Everyone buys what they want all the time anyway, so I think gift giving is archaic and unnecessary. Just my opinion. (Gift Giving as a love language is a zero for me, can you tell?)
Old 12-15-2019, 08:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
(Gift Giving as a love language is a zero for me, can you tell?)
I'm a lot like you kellie! Gifts are my husbands #1 love language and they are at the bottom of my list too so it's really hard. I will get excited about certain things for the kids but the older they get the harder it is... sigh. Darcy LOVES to buy me gifts and I'd really love instead acts of service more (my love language LOL)

ETA: acts of service done FOR me is how I feel loved.. but I don't think that's how I show my love because I kind of suck. I think words of affirmation is how I show love mostly.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
ETA: acts of service done FOR me is how I feel loved.. but I don't think that's how I show my love because I kind of suck.
This exactly. Things get complicated because of this.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Gifts are stupid. Everyone buys what they want all the time anyway, so I think gift giving is archaic and unnecessary. Just my opinion. (Gift Giving as a love language is a zero for me, can you tell?)
YES! This is 100% me. I don't mind giving gifts to children who can't just buy for themselves, but it would make me happy to never exchange gifts with adults again. If I have to, I'd rather give and receive gifts cards so people can get themselves something they really want rather than just more stuff to clutter up their houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
ETA: acts of service done FOR me is how I feel loved.. but I don't think that's how I show my love because I kind of suck. I think words of affirmation is how I show love mostly.
That's how I am, too. The #1 way people can make me feel loved is to take on something for me (usually being with the kids) so that I can have some time to myself to recharge. Sending me to Starbucks for a few hours by myself with my laptop is way better than getting me a gift. But even though I do that for DH so he can watch football and do the things he loves, it isn't usually recognized as such. It's just seen as me being Mom and taking care of everyone and everything. Not sure if that means I suck at it or what, but whenever I try to draw his attention to the fact that I'm taking on something so that he can have free time he seems to think I'm complaining about it. Clearly acts of service are not DH's love language, LOL.

Last edited by rach3975; 12-15-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm with you people who struggle with the gifts. I think gifts are fun, and I enjoy it when I don't feel the pressure of a deadline and all these expectations. And I absolutely hate the obligatory gift giving, the need to reciprocate. Let's all just agree to buy ourselves what we want instead of trying to guess what someone else would like and "trading" money. That said, I do love to give thoughtful, meaningful gifts to the people I really love, but this means lots of time and consideration, and I just don't always have the bandwidth for that! I am totally a quality time person, and gifts are at the bottom of my love language list, too! It's rough because my step-mother just wants to deliver a gift-bomb to my house, watch us open the gifts, and then leave, taking my dad with her! I can't stand it, because all I've wanted for the past twenty years is time with my dad, long stretches of time to just talk and hang out and do whatever. Instead, I get a huge mess at my house, an overstimulated son (and niece and nephew!), and frustrated hopes. Good times. I have tried over the past few years to improve as a gift-giver, but it still isn't something that comes naturally. I would much rather go out for a fun dinner with my family, laughing and talking, than exchange stuff with them.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm done too Lorie! Even stockings for our big family Christmas.

I think the one that will be a big surprise is I bought Cheyanne a pair of Sperry quilted duck boots... not a huge thing, but she's wanted a pair for so long and with it being just us and her being in college, it will be a suprise for her (re: Both of us poor so she doesn't have too many student loans)
Old 12-16-2019, 10:21 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I agree that giving gifts can be tough when your family is all grown up an already gets everything for themselves. That is why I love adopting a family each Christmas, so that I can buy present for little kids and people who really need stuff. It just makes me feel good to be able to help people, especially at Christmas.

I think the "love language" talk is really interesting too, because it is so different for everyone. I guess giving is my love language. I do put a lot of thought and time into planning and choosing my gifts, but I wonder if expressing love that way makes me shallow? Of course expressing emotions is not easy for me, so it only makes sense I show it in a different way. My father was the same way, so I guess I come by it honestly.

It could also be that my family does spend a lot of time together, especially during the holidays, so that need is already fulfilled. We had a party this weekend and wrapped presents for our adopted family, which was a lot of fun. This week we are giving a donation to the nursing home in town, so we will get together to do that and next weekend it will be cookie baking and any last minute prepping we need to do. We enjoy each other’s company, so we are together a lot.

I am a very lucky person.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I think the "love language" talk is really interesting too, because it is so different for everyone. I guess giving is my love language. I do put a lot of thought and time into planning and choosing my gifts, but I wonder if expressing love that way makes me shallow?
not at all
Old 12-16-2019, 11:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post

I think the "love language" talk is really interesting too, because it is so different for everyone. I guess giving is my love language. I do put a lot of thought and time into planning and choosing my gifts, but I wonder if expressing love that way makes me shallow? Of course expressing emotions is not easy for me, so it only makes sense I show it in a different way. My father was the same way, so I guess I come by it honestly.
No, it's not a shallow vs deep thing at all. My cousin is a gift person, and she is the deepest person I know. I think it's more that it's difficult when family members have different love needs and won't recognize that others might not feel loved the same way they do? I DO enjoy gifts and I appreciate thoughtful gifts from others, but coming up with good gift ideas and having a good attitude about the whole Christmas gift exchange thing is a struggle for me.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

^^ yes what she said!!
Old 12-16-2019, 03:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
So we are opposites, Lorie, because buying gifts steals all the holiday joy for me.

I have bought zero presents, and yesterday Joel made me sit down & make a list of presents we need to buy, and I said, "I hate Christmas." He said, "I know. But that is irrelevant."

Was just thinking this is not your love language!
Old 12-16-2019, 10:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am almost done! I have maybe 2 items I might buy, but if I don't get them now, I'll just buy them in Jan or Feb and have them be late gifts!

I did wwwaaaayyyy more online shopping this year than ever before! we've just been so crazy busy for the past few weeks with being very involved with a play at our Church. Our whole family has been involved with it: set design, set build, props, costumes, stage crew, extra actors, small part actors...It's been crazy and has taken up a LOT of our time! Our last 2 performances were this weekend, so we can finally focus on Christmas. Now comes the set tear down though. WE keep everything because we do this play every 2 years, so we have to make sure everything gets wrapped up and put away nicely to be stored away. So,it's not fully over yet!

Right now, I"m just trying to keep track of what all I ordered online and what orders I'm still waiting for. I think I remember them all, but I feel I'm missing something!

I actually did something with my girls this past weekend that my mom used to do when I was growing up...I purchased items with them for Christmas, but told them they can't have them until Christmas! Having 4 teenage girls is hard! They had specific clothing wants, but not specific enough that I was having an easy time finding them to purchase them. A friend of theirs works at Old Navy, so off we went! Half of them picked out their specific clothing wants, and they all picked out some pj's and other things. It made it a LOT easier, and I know they are getting exactly what they wanted!
Old 12-17-2019, 03:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Haven’t even started anything to do with christmas yet. Things have been crazy around here with last minute surgery for my mum last month then I’ve had 4 1/2 weeks of vertigo so going out hasn’t been high on the priority list. The plan is to go out after my drs appointment on Thursday and smash out both gifts - one I know what I’m getting but the other absolutely no clue and of course when I ask what would they like the answer is “don’t know” which is not a huge help.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv