Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2023, 07:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Cookbooks

I have more than one shelf of cookbooks and that is even after handing some off to places like Goodwill. I still love doing a recipe from the cookbook over a having to have computer/ipad near my cooking gear. I would say phone, but I'm too old to easily read recipes on my phone.

What kind of cookbooks do you guys have? Any favorites? I
got into Ottolenghi recipes last year and have been finding more and more vegetarian to add to my weeknight menus.

Did I happen to mention that when I was in middle school I used to take cookbooks out from the library instead of regular books!
Old 09-23-2023, 07:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Is it weird that my most used cookbook is a screenshot from my phone? LOL! I use copymethat on my computer to save my recipes but more often than not I end up just taking a screenshot of said recipe from my computer so that I can just use my phone in the kitchen.. I'll often print off recipes and then place them in places I never remember

For a long time I kept cookbooks but that was one item I paried down during my "i'm a minimalist" stage (which didn't last but I wish it did because I have a hard time being around clutter but too lazy to do anything about it :P)

I also like borrowing cookbook magazines on my ipad/phone with libby and using recipes that way!
Old 09-23-2023, 08:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Is it weird that my most used cookbook is a screenshot from my phone? LOL! I use copymethat on my computer to save my recipes but more often than not I end up just taking a screenshot of said recipe from my computer so that I can just use my phone in the kitchen.. I'll often print off recipes and then place them in places I never remember

For a long time I kept cookbooks but that was one item I paried down during my "i'm a minimalist" stage (which didn't last but I wish it did because I have a hard time being around clutter but too lazy to do anything about it :P)

I also like borrowing cookbook magazines on my ipad/phone with libby and using recipes that way!
I love copymethat and often put recipes there and have pinterest boards aimed at recipes. I take the pictures, like you and bring my ipad into the kitchen. I'm always worried I'll spill something on it! I need to rejoin my library so I can download cookbooks again!
Old 09-23-2023, 08:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
I take the pictures, like you and bring my ipad into the kitchen. I'm always worried I'll spill something on it!!
I got my mom and sister a stand off of amazon for christmas so that they could use their tablets or cookbooks in the kitchen without having to worry

It was pretty affordable for $20
Old 09-23-2023, 08:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

That recipe book stand is awesome! My favorite types of cookbooks are church or ladies group cookbooks. This is because everyone usually submits their favorite recipes for the cookbook. They also, generally, use common items and not hard to find items.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post

I use my phone too but with the Paprika Recipe Manager 3 app. It's a paid app (one time fee) but 100% worth the money. If you have a recipe link you open it in paprika, it cuts through all the 'when I was growing in the south ...' BS and saves just the recipe, with photos and a link back to the original post. I have both the IOS and MacOS versions.

I don't really use cookbooks anymore - but when I did I loved Best of Bridge books.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love this app too, I?ve been using it for years. I have it on my computer too. I don?t love you have to purchase it for each platform you use it on.

I commented already on Facebook, I have a few I like, skinnytaste, Magnolia Table, I enjoy pioneer woman. I just like cookbooks, those are 3 I usually never miss a release from though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I use my phone too but with the Paprika Recipe Manager 3 app. It's a paid app (one time fee) but 100% worth the money. If you have a recipe link you open it in paprika, it cuts through all the 'when I was growing in the south ...' BS and saves just the recipe, with photos and a link back to the original post. I have both the IOS and MacOS versions.

I don't really use cookbooks anymore - but when I did I loved Best of Bridge books.
Old 09-23-2023, 11:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I still have some cookbooks, but I mostly just use recipes I've stored in OneNote that I've found on the interwebs. I always save a link back to the original recipe and include nutritional info and photos too.
Old 09-23-2023, 11:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd not heard of Paprika so am going to look up that app now. I don't have a fave author but I have been reading low carb books, about transitioning to a more relaxed plan to maintain my weight and stay healthy. I've started reading Dirty, Lazy, Keto and have 2 Trim Healthy Mama cookbooks that I've been skimming through. I also just got a low carb mediterranean diet cookbook for my kindle app.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love both the Joanna Gaines' cookbooks (I think there's 3 total now?) and just got Y'all Eat Yet? cookbook by Miranda Lambert. I've only done a couple recipes out of there but love it so far! I also get a lot online that I just bookmark & print. I have a big 3 ring binder that I put printed recipes into.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:34 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I wonder if a comparison has ever been done between copymethat and paprika.

Park of my asking about cookbooks (past my undying love of them) was curiousity towards a kit I've started working on. So the answers have been helpful for that too.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:07 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I like cookbooks.my favorites are from Jamie Oliver.
And baking books
Old 09-24-2023, 12:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For everyday cooking for vegetables, my favourite is The Victory Garden Cookbook by Marian Morash. You can still get a used copy online for very reasonable and this can't be beat, especially if you have a vegetable garden!
Old 09-24-2023, 12:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love, love, love cookbooks - and probably buy a few each year even though I don't use them much. haha. This year so far it's Joanna Gaines' third cookbook, Keep Your Daydream's magazine/cookbook (they are full time RVers), and Big Boards for Families - which I just ordered the other day - I've had it checked out from the library for atleast a month.

I'm big on weekly menu plans that come to my email... and then I build my weekly menu on them. I really have an issue with information overload before I can make a decision. haha.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Renata - me too, love Jaimie Oliver cookbooks.

I bought Paprika for my phone and already love it. I like saving recipes to pinterest b/c I might want to read whole web pages from the source but for the recipes themselves, Paprika is great. It saves so much time, not having to scroll thru a saved pinterest page just for the recipe itself, plus it locks my phone while I have it open, so I don't have to keep refreshing. I've started a few categories and saved a few recipes already.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have a bunch of cookbooks but I tend to just use Pinterest and screenshot them off my phone. It is a pain though.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
I wonder if a comparison has ever been done between copymethat and paprika.
https://www.slant.co/versus/7623/762...s_copy-me-that

Apparently someone else had the same question lol

Old 09-24-2023, 10:59 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

As much as I love looking at cookbooks at the bookshop, I never really bought cookbooks. The one cookbook that I really cherish is the one that my mom wrote for me before I left for UK in 2001. Since then, it goes with me wherever I go.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually wing it or use Pinterest. My all time favorite cookbook (and it looks rough) is an old church cookbook I got from my great aunt as a wedding gift (Sloppy Joes, Chocolate Eclair cake and fudge are the three I have used most). My MIL gave me a church cookbook from her little church a few years ago as well. I also have recipes from recipe swaps I did in my card making days and some printed from grandparents in a binder. I love the hand me down recipes.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post

I use a very similar app called MealBoard. One time fee & I use it to import & organize recipes and it makes my grocery list for me.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:35 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a lot of cookbooks...and rarely reference 97% of them, but I have written notes on the pages as I use them, like "Couldn't find (ingredient) but still turned out great!" or "David's first homecooked meal after deployment" or "Caroline didn't like it but Liam gobbled it up!" ...that makes it hard to get rid of them!
Old 09-25-2023, 07:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I rarely use cookbooks anymore. I have a gallon Zip-Loc that I use for my recipes right now. lol I have a binder and sheet protectors just waiting to be used. I need to get one of those apps, but it would have to be one that takes pdfs. DH suggested a database about a month ago. I should get him to make me one, especially since he offered. I spent about 9 months scrapping 72 family recipes to make a family recipe book for my two nieces. One had gotten married and the other was getting married. My older sister made the binders and dividers, as she's a paper scrapper.

I find recipes from different sites and on Facebook.