Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default NSBR: Audio Books

I love to read but have never really tried audio books with the exception of a few CDs from the library years ago.

I think I'd like to give it a try while driving, folding laundry, etc.

What program/app/device do you all use when you listen to audio books?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

So far I've only done audio books (borrowed from our library) while driving with the kids in the car CD player. The kids and I enjoy them very much and it keeps them from fighting or incessantly talking/asking me questions on days when I feel like my mental capacity has been maxed out. LOL

Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love audiobooks while I'm scrapping and doing housework! I can download through our library using Overdrive and then play them through an mp3 player. (Most of the ones I've downloaded through them are not smartphone compatible.) I've also gotten CDs from the library that I ripped to mp3 format and played on my phone (just using the default music player). I've also bought through Audible. You have the most options there, both for book titles and playing methods, but it's pricey.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm like Rachel, I download them from the library via Overdrive. I still prefer to snuggle up with a 'real' book, but audiobooks are great for when I'm cleaning, working, etc. I've even been known to fall asleep to them (which can make for really weird dreams).
Old 03-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks guys. I feel like it was a dumb question but I just wasn't sure where to purchase them and how to play them. I'll check Audible and see if the library has any that don't require the actual CD.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love audiobooks...if the narrator is good..sometimes the narration can totally ruin a book so I try to be pretty picky with who narrates. That said I use audible..we get 1 credit per month and also you get a discount price on most of the audio versions of kindle books if you buy the kindle version first.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also use Overdrive with books from the library. I listen to them on an iPod Touch using the Overdrive app.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Overdrive user here too. When I was working, my friend/ co-worker would pick up the CDs but it is definitely easy just using the app than having to lug around the CDs (the library had them in big,bulky cases).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
I love audiobooks...if the narrator is good..sometimes the narration can totally ruin a book so I try to be pretty picky with who narrates.
I agree! Certain narrators drove me nuts. I can't stand to hear someone with a high pitched voice reading for a long time.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Also, as a quick "try it out", and you have an apple device (iphone/pad/pod) you can download the kindle app and use VoiceOver to turn any kindle book into an audio book. Since the narrator is just Siri, it's monotone, but it at least lets you see if it's something you enjoy before investing money in andiobooks! Just a thought! (Of note, it might also work on non-apple devices, I just never tried!)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosanhelwa View Post
Also, as a quick "try it out", and you have an apple device (iphone/pad/pod) you can download the kindle app and use VoiceOver to turn any kindle book into an audio book. Since the narrator is just Siri, it's monotone, but it at least lets you see if it's something you enjoy before investing money in andiobooks! Just a thought! (Of note, it might also work on non-apple devices, I just never tried!)
Thanks! I have the Kindle App and didn't know I could do this!