Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default My flat iron is DEAD

I have a Hot Tools flat iron and for a while I knew something was up. It just was not getting hot enough. This morning, it died. (yeah - halfway through my head.) I have had it about 4 or 5 years. It maybe nearing 6. It has been dropped countless times.

My question to you is - do I get another cheapie straightener or do I splurge for a Chi? Will the Chi last me longer than 5 years? Is is REALLY worth it?

P
Old 06-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

As somebody that straightens her hair on almost a daily basis...I don't think CHI's are made like they used to be. My last one was a flop and I've read that from a few different reviews. I have a $30 flat iron that works great for me now. I think the brand is Hot Tools (and I'm way too lazy to go upstairs right now and check for sure heh) I got it at ULTA on sale about 2 years ago

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I've had this one for at least five years (I don't remember when I started straightening my hair?). I love it. And it still works.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/pink-flat...s-_-SBS-264856

PS I wouldn't recommend pink, though... it shows dirt so fast & easy!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's so funny that you started this thread b/c yesterday when I was straightening my hair I was thinking of what a great flat iron mine has been. I bought it 7 years ago and it's still working as good today as it did the day I got it...this is the one I have..

http://www.amazon.com/Solia-Tourmali...olia+flat+iron

I've never had a Chi..but I do know my sister has gone through at least 2 Chi's since I bought my Solia.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a croc turbo ion and I have 2 FHI ones (different plate sizes). They're all amazing, but I use my Croc more often.

I always shop at Amazon for mine...soooo much cheaper than even what my stylist can get it for me at.

Worth every penny!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

The Chi used to be made by infared and they sold out to farouk, they are now made cheaper and dont last near as long. I sell my customers the GHD it is by far the best flat iron there is. It is pricey but I sell it at my cost to my clients. I figure if I am doing their color and cuts on a regular basis I can help them out with a good flatiron. It is anywhere from $130-$150 my cost but they sell for around $250-$300 regular price.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have GHD straighteners and love them. I really need to straighten my hair every day but I know that it is bad so try to cut it down to 4 or 5 times a week and I clip it up on the days I'm not straightening
Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I had a Solia like Nikki for about 8 years and it was awesome. Loved it. But the cord ended up breaking so I had to get a new one. I got a CHI and I really regret it. It was more expensive than the Solia, the hinge squeaks, the temp setting changes all by itself when I'm using it, and it doesn't do any "volumizing" like it said it would. It straightens just fine, but the Solia did that just as well. I wish I would have gone with what I knew was good instead of the hype of the CHI.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm on my second CHI. The first one I replaced after 3 years because it wasn't getting as hot. I like mine but I don't think they last as long as they should and will probably go with something else next time.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam4gators View Post
The Chi used to be made by infared and they sold out to farouk, they are now made cheaper and dont last near as long. I sell my customers the GHD it is by far the best flat iron there is. It is pricey but I sell it at my cost to my clients. I figure if I am doing their color and cuts on a regular basis I can help them out with a good flatiron. It is anywhere from $130-$150 my cost but they sell for around $250-$300 regular price.
I'm not sure what style you use, but check Amazon. My stylist can't get any of the products she buys from the sales rep as cheaply as I get them on Amazon. They have some of the professional GHD's for about $100 on there.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I vote for EMBRACE THE CURL!!! ; )
Old 06-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have one of the GVP ones from Sally's, I actually like it a lot. I use it to straighten and curl and it's worked like a charm. I haven't had it for years and years but it's beat all the others I've had hands down.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noisyboys View Post
I'm not sure what style you use, but check Amazon. My stylist can't get any of the products she buys from the sales rep as cheaply as I get them on Amazon. They have some of the professional GHD's for about $100 on there.
I use the mach 6, I get it from a hair supply store locally. I would end up spending 30 on shipping
Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I second the GHD rec's...I have a Chi which I love but I recently bought the GHD and there is no comparison...NONE...I love that thing.
This is the one I have...
http://www.amazon.com/GHD-Scarlet-Co...ghd+hair+irons
Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I vote for EMBRACE THE CURL!!! ; )
I wish I could! Unfortunately I'm one of those lucky ones who has neither curly nor straight hair..it's just super fine and if I don't straighten it then it's a frizzy hot mess..without a curl in sight

Old 06-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One of my best friends uses an InStyler. It is amazing. Kind of pricey, but it really does an amazing job. It is on my never-ending wishlist!