Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community

Old 09-06-2021, 11:12 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default Name a book, movie, or tv show that everyone just loved, but you think is overrated.

For me, bookwise it was Gone Girl. I hated it. All the main characters were terrible people, and I just could not get into it.

We tried to watch breaking bad but it just didn’t happen for us. And I don’t see myself ever watching the Walking Dead.

I am sure there is a movie but I can’t think of one.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's funny, I'm the opposite way...with shows/movies. I watch lots of shows that didn't get good ratings, were critizied but I really liked them.

Books I find are harder to get into sometimes. I really wanted to read the biography of M. Obama but just couldn't get into it. BTW...I loved Gone Girl.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:48 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I enjoyed the book Gone Girl as well.

I tried Breaking Bad, didn’t like it at all. Currently struggling with Nine Perfect Strangers, so far not a fan. Tried See, but only got through one episode.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:54 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
I enjoyed the book Gone Girl as well.

I tried Breaking Bad, didn’t like it at all. Currently struggling with Nine Perfect Strangers, so far not a fan. Tried See, but only got through one episode.
I always give tv shows three to four episodes. I haven’t watched see yet but we have put our apple+ sub on hold until Ted Lasso finishes up their season.

Someone here mentioned that the nine Perfect strangers book was hard but the series was better.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Haven’t read the book, but I hated Gone Girl the movie!
Old 09-06-2021, 12:03 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Titanic.

Never could get into that movie. Bored me immensely the one time I had to sit through the whole thing since I was at someone else's house and everyone there wanted to see it... before we ate Thanksgiving dinner. Had I known the movie was first I would have waited to go closer to dinner.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:16 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
It's funny, I'm the opposite way...with shows/movies. I watch lots of shows that didn't get good ratings, were critizied but I really liked them.

Books I find are harder to get into sometimes. I really wanted to read the biography of M. Obama but just couldn't get into it. BTW...I loved Gone Girl.
I don’t necessarily only watch shows that get good ratings. I usually watch things I am interested in.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:23 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I loved Gone Girl - the book and the movie.

I could never get into popular TV shows like Breaking Bad, The Office, and the Walking Dead or literally anything with zombies.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We couldn’t get into Breaking Bad, it was way too slow.

I enjoyed Gone Girl, but hated the ending.

We also waited until the pandemic and watch all of the Walking Dead and the Office. Loved both of them.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to have to check out Gone Girl because I have never heard of it before

Book -
I was disappointed with The Notebook and thought the movie was a thousand times better

Tv -
I could not get in to anything like Supernatural, Riverdale, really anything "trendy" I just couldn't get in to. I don't think I have a lot of patience for tv series because they drag on way too long.

Movie -
Captain Marvel was a big disappointment for me. Everyone was making out to be a better movie that when I watched it, it just didn't live up to my expectations.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Never got into Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I always come into things way after the are popular. LOL

Books - anything Nicolas Sparks. He is too sappy for me, but then I like murder and mayhem. I love the Outlander series of books but lost interest in the TV in the second season.

Movies - I don't watch a lot of movies so this is not a good one for me, but when my son and I were working out together he put in Napoleon Dynamite, saying it was a classic and I would love it. Wrong. Dumbest thing ever. I didn't even get through 20 minutes before I was done, working out and watching. LOL

TV - The Simpsons and all those other adult type cartoons. Again, just stupid. I don't want to watch a yellow kid telling people to each his shorts and don't get me started on that foul mouthed group of kids from the one cartoon. You know where one of them is named Kenny. Now I have a potty mouth, but I am not entertained by cartoon kids cussing.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:46 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrijc View Post
Haven’t read the book, but I hated Gone Girl the movie!
I never watched the movie since I hated the book.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:49 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
Titanic.

Never could get into that movie. Bored me immensely the one time I had to sit through the whole thing since I was at someone else's house and everyone there wanted to see it... before we ate Thanksgiving dinner. Had I known the movie was first I would have waited to go closer to dinner.
I enjoyed titanic but my poor husband had me and my sister sitting on either side of him during the movie at the theater. Both of us were bawling at the end and poor guy was surrounded by crying people.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:49 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
I loved Gone Girl - the book and the movie.

I could never get into popular TV shows like Breaking Bad, The Office, and the Walking Dead or literally anything with zombies.
I tried to watch the office too and it just didn’t happen for me.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:18 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Hated Gone Girl the book so I didn't even try the movie. Same with Girl on the Train.

I hate both GoT book series and TV series.

LOVED Big Little Lies the novel but got through maybe 20 min of the series. Smallish spoiler ahead. Highlight to see>>> Jane smoking? Umm, no. Did the TV series' adapters even read the darn book? The show didn't hit me the way the book did...but still, IDK why seeing her smoking made me say "NOPE, this isn't right." And I turned off my TV. <<<end spoiler
Old 09-06-2021, 06:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I liked the book Gone Girl but never saw the movie as I heard it was disappointing. With Breaking Bad, you have to give it at least 4 episodes. They spend a lot of time developing characters at the beginning.

For me, Outlander-It has taken me months to get through 3 seasons of it and I honestly don't care if I see any more. Too slow and I can't stand the leading lady character.

And I dislike any animated movies (probably the only person alive that has never seen Frozen and doesn't care to!).
Old 09-06-2021, 07:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Schitt's Creek. I tried and tried to get into it. Not once but several times. It just doesn't appeal to me. Neither does anything related to the royal family like The Crown.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post

Books - anything Nicolas Sparks. He is too sappy for me, but then I like murder and mayhem. I love the Outlander series of books but lost interest in the TV in the second season.

Movies - I don't watch a lot of movies so this is not a good one for me, but when my son and I were working out together he put in Napoleon Dynamite, saying it was a classic and I would love it. Wrong. Dumbest thing ever. I didn't even get through 20 minutes before I was done, working out and watching. LOL

TV - The Simpsons and all those other adult type cartoons. Again, just stupid. I don't want to watch a yellow kid telling people to each his shorts and don't get me started on that foul mouthed group of kids from the one cartoon. You know where one of them is named Kenny. Now I have a potty mouth, but I am not entertained by cartoon kids cussing.
Ah yes South Park and Kenny always dies at the end of each episode. I didn't like that either.

In regards to cartoons made for adults I used to really hate Family Guy and I don't know what changed but now it's our go-to feel-good make-me-laugh tv show.

I only gave it a few minutes and didn't like Call the Midwife but I think I want to give it another chance.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:27 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I'm going to have to check out Gone Girl because I have never heard of it before

Book -
I was disappointed with The Notebook and thought the movie was a thousand times better

Tv -
I could not get in to anything like Supernatural, Riverdale, really anything "trendy" I just couldn't get in to. I don't think I have a lot of patience for tv series because they drag on way too long.

Movie -
Captain Marvel was a big disappointment for me. Everyone was making out to be a better movie that when I watched it, it just didn't live up to my expectations.
I tried to watch Supernatural too, my sister loved it, and I just coud not.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:29 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I liked the book Gone Girl but never saw the movie as I heard it was disappointing. With Breaking Bad, you have to give it at least 4 episodes. They spend a lot of time developing characters at the beginning.

For me, Outlander-It has taken me months to get through 3 seasons of it and I honestly don't care if I see any more. Too slow and I can't stand the leading lady character.

And I dislike any animated movies (probably the only person alive that has never seen Frozen and doesn't care to!).
I have never seen Frozen either, lol. You are not alone. You thought you were but are mistaken.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:32 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

We love the Simpsons. We have seen every episode multiple times and probably quote it on a daily basis around here. It is a much different show than it was thirty years ago.

We also love Bob's Burgers. Never got into South Park that much tho. It was ok at the beginning and then just seemed to get worse and worse so we stopped watching it.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:33 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
Hated Gone Girl the book so I didn't even try the movie. Same with Girl on the Train.

I hate both GoT book series and TV series.

LOVED Big Little Lies the novel but got through maybe 20 min of the series. Smallish spoiler ahead. Highlight to see>>> Jane smoking? Umm, no. Did the TV series' adapters even read the darn book? The show didn't hit me the way the book did...but still, IDK why seeing her smoking made me say "NOPE, this isn't right." And I turned off my TV. <<<end spoiler
I also did not care for Girl on the Train. I did love GOT tho, but never read any of the books.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Schitt's Creek, Brooklyn Nine Nine

Never seen anything Star Wars, don't really feel the need to

Old 09-06-2021, 10:28 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Schitt's Creek. I tried and tried to get into it. Not once but several times. It just doesn't appeal to me. Neither does anything related to the royal family like The Crown.
My husband couldn’t get into it either. And the mayor really got on his nerves so I watched alone
Old 09-06-2021, 10:30 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
Schitt's Creek, Brooklyn Nine Nine

Never seen anything Star Wars, don't really feel the need to
We used to watch Brooklyn nine nine and then for some reason just stopped watching it…

We like Star Wars ok but not like super fans
Old 09-06-2021, 10:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hate Elf. So. Much. And every Christmas our neighbors invite us over to watch it and it's torture for me every time.

I hated the book, A Gentleman in Moscow. I read to the end because I have to know how a story ends, but it was sooooo slow and boring to me.

My brother raved about Ozark, and I love Jason Bateman, but I hated that show so much.

I could not love Napoleon Dynamite or Nacho Libre. I love to laugh, but neither of these shows did it for me.

Last edited by joelsgirl; 09-06-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:13 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post

My brother raved about Ozark, and I love Jason Bateman, but I hated that show so much.
I feel you on this one. I hated the wife so much, she made me sick. And the son was beyond creepy to me. I love Jason Bateman too, but his character was a putz!
Old 09-07-2021, 06:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Walking Dead. I couldn't even get through the second season. I was raised on horror movies thanks to my sisters, but this was just terrible.
Private by James Patterson. I can't waste my time with a main character that's a putz.
Grease! Musicals in general make the vein in my forehead bulge.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Outlander for me too. I tried to read the books, watched the first season or two of the show. Just couldn't do it. I find her super annoying and I'm not crazy about Jamie either.

Quote:

Old 09-07-2021, 08:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't do stupid comedies in general. Not my thing.

Also, my husband loves Monty Python, not my deal.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Im another one that never found any appeal in The Walking Dead and that greasy, gross character so many swoon over... he honestly needs a shower and a hair brushing.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:21 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
Im another one that never found any appeal in The Walking Dead and that greasy, gross character so many swoon over... he honestly needs a shower and a hair brushing.
Call me a swooner, because I love Darryl. He is an apocalypse hottie who looks that way because we would all be dirty and stinky. But I would rather be stinky and dirty with him and Dog by my side.

Although I am glad it is the last season because I am pretty much over it. I have to watch it to the end, but when it is over, I will be fine with it.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:25 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I don't do stupid comedies in general. Not my thing.

Also, my husband loves Monty Python, not my deal.
I've never seen anything of Monty Python, but my son started watching them with my brother when he was about 10 and he would act out the scenes and I would laugh my butt off. He was hysterical. I am not sure if that means I would like Monty Python or if I just think my kid is the funniest thing ever.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:29 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I hate Elf. So. Much. And every Christmas our neighbors invite us over to watch it and it's torture for me every time.
I've never seen Elf and have no desire to because I can't stand Will Ferrell. I've seen bits and starts of his movies and all the characters are complete idiots. He so bad, he would have been good in Napoleon Dynamite. Just, ugh!
Old 09-07-2021, 12:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

All the movies with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan - just didn't love them - I love several movies with Tom Hanks & loved Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally, so it is not the actors. Really don't love Nacho Libre or Napoleon Dynamite either. My daughter is really loving the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and she asked me to watch the most recent season with her. Spent every Monday night biting my tongue to keep from saying "these are not quality people" and "this isn't going to end well" every episode.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I even hate the commercials for the Bachelor/Bachelorette.

Also, any trashy reality tv. The Real Housewives, nope! I don't get it.

I know there are a ton more.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians, was another one.

Aside from like the Voice, American Idol or Survivor I don't do reality TV since the Real World, LOL! Season 3. I don't even watch American Idol or Survivor anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephc777 View Post
All the movies with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan - just didn't love them - I love several movies with Tom Hanks & loved Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally, so it is not the actors. Really don't love Nacho Libre or Napoleon Dynamite either. My daughter is really loving the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and she asked me to watch the most recent season with her. Spent every Monday night biting my tongue to keep from saying "these are not quality people" and "this isn't going to end well" every episode.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Most of the things you all are mentioning I love. Schitt's Creek, The Walking Dead (especially Daryl), Gone Girl, etc. etc. lol

Book: "I am Thinking of Ending Things" I don't know if everyone loved this book, but Netflix made a movie based on it. I hated it. Gave it a 1 on Goodreads which I never do.

Show: Supernatural. I don't know if I hated it, but I tried to watch it many years ago when I worked nights at work. Demon stuff scares me so watching it alone at night and then needing to walk around by myself did not work.

Movie: The Princess Bride. I just don't like movies like this. lol
Old 09-07-2021, 04:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I liked the second half of Gone Girl...the first half was sooooo boring.

I didn't care for A Star is Born. It just didn't wow me.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:11 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I hated the book, A Gentleman in Moscow. I read to the end because I have to know how a story ends, but it was sooooo slow and boring to me.

I could not love Napoleon Dynamite or Nacho Libre. I love to laugh, but neither of these shows did it for me.
A Gentleman in Moscow was on my to be read list. Sorry to hear it was slow.

You poor dear about Elf. That does sound like torture.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:13 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephc777 View Post
I do not enjoy Bachelor/Bachelorette type shows either.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Outlander for me too. I tried to read the books, watched the first season or two of the show. Just couldn't do it. I find her super annoying and I'm not crazy about Jamie either.
Never have I ever watched Outlander or read the books. They are books too right? I think so. See I don't even know.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
I liked the second half of Gone Girl...the first half was sooooo boring.

I didn't care for A Star is Born. It just didn't wow me.
I haven't seen any of the A Star is Born (s).
Old 09-07-2021, 11:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Elf.

Total waste of time.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:34 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I tend to just re-watch old favourites. I've seen Gilmore Girls several times through, and I'm currently re-watching Bones. Maybe it's because I rarely have actual time to watch TV, so I want to enjoy it when I do. The only current TV show I watch is Grey's... I've got 17 years invested so feel like I need to finish it, even though it's pretty painful to watch now. I do watch Outlander, but the show is not nearly as good as the books. (I just like "watching" Jamie! lol) I've been enjoying Handmaid's Tale too, even though I can't stand Margaret Atwood as an author (and seriously hated the book!)

Not into reality shows, zombie shows, etc. Actually, I have Crave now, so I'm getting back into some older series that I'd never seen before, like Sopranos.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselwatchr View Post
I haven't seen any of the A Star is Born (s).
It's just a single movie with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
Old 09-08-2021, 02:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
It's just a single movie with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
There's actually 4...
1937 with Janet Gaynor and Fredric March
1954 with Judy Garland and James Mason
1976 with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson
and the latest with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
Old 09-08-2021, 02:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Books-didn't like the Twilight Series. Read the first one and was done. Also read the first of the Game of Thrones novel and didn't like it either. Way too many people to keep up with. Heard rave reviews of the book, "The Dry". I found it really long and tedious. It's been made into a movie for some reason. I also hated The Handmaid's Tale.

Movies/Shows: I've never watched The Walking Dead and have no desire to do so. Not a fan of the zombie genre. The Office is fine, but I've never watched it all the way through. Same with Parks and Rec. I just prefer dramas I think.

I'm surprised so many of you didn't like the Outlander series. I read up through Drums of Autumn years ago and just didn't pick up the later books because her books are way too descriptive about minutiae. I started watching the series during the pandemic though and absolutely loved it. I've watched it through 3 times already. I always loved the characters of Jamie and Claire though, although I could do with less graphic torture type scenes though. I can't watch those. This is one instance where I think the shows are better than the books because you don't have to wade through all the detail and you get to look at Jamie!

Old 09-08-2021, 02:49 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponytails View Post
1976 with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson
I still cry when watching this one. Kris nailed that roll big time.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I still cry when watching this one. Kris nailed that roll big time.
I had no idea it was a remake. Might have to check this one out!