Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Tablet? Lappy? What should I do?

We need another laptop in my household. We have a desktop that the girls use and a laptop that has all my work. school and scrap stuff on. Well, when we have down time, I have to fight my lovely hubby for the laptop. I have convinced him we need something that he can use for internet. He only uses the laptop to read websites or search for sports stuff. Totally not worth getting another laptop.

But what? Should we just get a tablet? I have a Chrome Book @ work and love it for when I am on the road, but not sure if he likes it. Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I say tablet. John was convinced he would hate using my Kindle to go online and do stuff, but I'm constantly having to remind him that it's MINE and he needs to give it back to me.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would also say tablet, too... hubby has a laptop and ipad and he uses the ipad more than the laptop.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If it's just for the internet, I say tablet. For anything else, laptop is better, but tablet is much better for reading.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:37 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Yep - if it's just for surfing the web, etc. I'd totally say to go with a tablet. I LOVE my iPad mini!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I say tablet too because you can always bring it along if you're out and need entertainment for the kids. Plus you can't get such a variety at a great cost that if he doesn't need the full range of programs on a laptop the tablet totally makes sense. All 4 of us have tablets and 3 of us have laptops we use for work, school, scrapping but in the evenings or when I'm out around town with the kids I prefer my tablet.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with the tablet. I find myself using my daughter's Fire all the time to surf the web and to use in the kitchen to follow a recipe when I'm cooking, etc. We have so many devices for just the 2 of us though that it's a bit ridiculous.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My dh said he wanted a tablet. We went to the stores to actually see them and hold them he completely changed his mind and said nope he's getting a laptop.
He will never use it for anything but watching youtube, soccer games, music and now he has it hooked up to his tv. sighhhh This is why this man irks me when he asks me to research stuff for him but he's happy and will leave our stuff alone.
The best part is he says he still wants to get a tablet, go figure
I think once he hits the store he should compare and see what he really wants.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If it is just for using the internet, I wouldn't even bother with getting an iPad or even an iPad mini. I'd suggest the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 instead. We have both the iPad and the Nexus 7. The iPad is great but it's kind of large and bulky for carrying around. I'm sure the iPad mini is fantastic, but it is twice the price of the Kindle or Nexus and if he's just surfing, why spend the extra money? And honestly, more and more developers have really wised up and are creating apps for both platforms. The only thing that I could wish for my Nexus 7 would be a better notetaking app that I could use my stylus with. If I want to take handwritten notes at a meeting, I need to bring my iPad along. Of course, once I write up those notes, I can email them to myself as a PDF and read them on the Nexus. I'm not always running off to meetings, so I don't mind this. I'd probably get an iPad mini if I were. That's really the only difference that has mattered to me.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

DH has a laptop (an older one, but it's fine for everything he'd want to do on it) and an ipad. Since getting the ipad in Jan, he uses it much more than his laptop. He uses the tablet for surfing the internet, watching sports (when he needs to be portable or can't get something on the tv), and a few apps. He only uses his laptop for gaming and things he does in Excel or Word. His internet use doesn't involve a lot of typing, but if it did I could see where a laptop might be easier (and possibly cheaper) than a tablet with an add-on keyboard.

I agree with the suggestion to have him try tablets in the store. When I first asked DH if he'd want a tablet for his birthday, I was thinking a 7" Fire or Nexus. He didn't like the smaller size or Android platform at all.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
If it is just for using the internet, I wouldn't even bother with getting an iPad or even an iPad mini. I'd suggest the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 instead. We have both the iPad and the Nexus 7. The iPad is great but it's kind of large and bulky for carrying around. I'm sure the iPad mini is fantastic, but it is twice the price of the Kindle or Nexus and if he's just surfing, why spend the extra money? And honestly, more and more developers have really wised up and are creating apps for both platforms. The only thing that I could wish for my Nexus 7 would be a better notetaking app that I could use my stylus with. If I want to take handwritten notes at a meeting, I need to bring my iPad along. Of course, once I write up those notes, I can email them to myself as a PDF and read them on the Nexus. I'm not always running off to meetings, so I don't mind this. I'd probably get an iPad mini if I were. That's really the only difference that has mattered to me.
origami, I'm wondering what app you are using on your iPad for taking handwritten notes with a stylus . . .
Old 09-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We love our Kindle Fire, and they are a great deal these days. DH rooted it so that we can use all of the Google apps (he had a TON of fun rooting it and setting it up to match his phone), and we love watching our Amazon Prime shows on it. It also has great parental controls so that you can limit game time, show time, etc for kids.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by elseepe View Post
origami, I'm wondering what app you are using on your iPad for taking handwritten notes with a stylus . . .
Noteshelf. It's about six dollars and it does have in app purchases for extra papers and notebook covers. I really like it a lot! I rarely download paid apps, but this one was definitely worth it!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We were in the same situation... I had to get one for DH for Father's Day so he would stop bothering me! It worked like a charm... plus, if the kids want to use a specific game that is not on their kindles... I tell them to play his, lol!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thank you, I'm gonna check out that app.

I agree with tablet, I got my husband a Nook HD+ for Father's day and he is really enjoying it. i can't compare with Kindle Fire as I've never used one. Sometimes it seems to be a little sluggish, but they opened it up to Google Play this year (although, not ALL apps are compatible), I think they are still running them at a great price.