Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Let's talk skincare - specifically moisturizers

I finally feel in a good spot with my skin. I'm in my mid thirties and feel like I have a handle on my blemishes. (Gah. Aging and blemishes is the WORST!!)

But I have not found a moisturizer that I am happy with. I have slightly oily skin, blemish prone, aging and sensitive.

Currently I use Neutrogena Oil Free for sensitive skin - http://www.neutrogena.com/product/oi...ortby=ourPicks or Olay All Day Moisturizer with SPF http://www.olay.com/skin-care-produc...d=075609000942. They just don't feel like they are doing anything and I am not in love with them.

So -
What do you use? What is your skin type?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I've been using the same Olay All Day Moisturizer with SPF for a few months now..I like it though Like you I have slightly oily sensitive skin that is prone to breaking out (although by cutting 90% of the sugar out of my diet this has helped tremendously)

I was using the Bare Minerals Purely Nourishing Moisturizer and liked it but at $28 a bottle it was eating into my beauty budget lol I can't say I really prefer it over the Olay

Murad also makes a great one (check Sephora's price) but it's $$ too and again I'm just as happy with the Olay

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I guess I'm old school. Dove beauty bar and Noxzema.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use the OCM (oil cleansing method) to wash my face and hardly ever need to moisturize. When I do, I use unrefined coconut oil. I've been doing this for a year now and haven't had any breakouts except for a couple of times when I've gone off my routine. I was always fighting acne before I switched to the OCM - which was really annoying in my 40s!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

^^ with Kate.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have used 100% organic unrefined cold press coconut oil for several years now. It fades age spots and keeps the fine lines at bay for the most part (as far as I can tell - I really don't think I look my age for the most part)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
I've been using the same Olay All Day Moisturizer with SPF for a few months now..I like it though Like you I have slightly oily sensitive skin that is prone to breaking out (although by cutting 90% of the sugar out of my diet this has helped tremendously)

I was using the Bare Minerals Purely Nourishing Moisturizer and liked it but at $28 a bottle it was eating into my beauty budget lol I can't say I really prefer it over the Olay

Murad also makes a great one (check Sephora's price) but it's $$ too and again I'm just as happy with the Olay
I've tried the Bare Minerals and the Murad. I agree - did not like them any more than what I am using now. I am willing to spend some money on something that is amazing and makes my skin great.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I rarely get breakouts but I have crazy combination skin, really dry and oily. I'm 40 ( I'm sure I look my age but I hope I don't look older) The texture of my skin has changed a lot over the last few years.
I bought a travel size Eucerin Daily Protection Face Lotion when I went on vacation and I'm going to switch over, I really like it. It's moisturizing but not too heavy and it seems to keep my t-zone from getting shiny so fast. I also have a few sensitivity issues and no problems with this. I do use a night cream, and I swear by my Clarisonic.

I have tried the oil cleansing method. It did not work for me but I use coconut oil as my eye make-up remover.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I use St Ives apricot scrub for sensitive skin every other day (when I shower), Oil of Olay day cream with SPF during the day & Neutrogena night time firming cream. I also use Ponds facial towelette to clean off make up. I have some night eye cream or other I use too but can't recall which brand.

I'm 45 and have dry skin in winter & normal skin in summer with very rare breakouts. I have some laugh lines but that's about it.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
I use the OCM (oil cleansing method) to wash my face and hardly ever need to moisturize. When I do, I use unrefined coconut oil. I've been doing this for a year now and haven't had any breakouts except for a couple of times when I've gone off my routine. I was always fighting acne before I switched to the OCM - which was really annoying in my 40s!
What she said, except I use Jojoba oil for moisturizer. When I run out of jojoba oil, I use coconut oil until I get more of jojoba oil. I've been doing this for last 4 yrs and wouldn't go back to anything else even if money was no object!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I've used oil of olay every day since I was 10
Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
I rarely get breakouts but I have crazy combination skin, really dry and oily. I'm 40 ( I'm sure I look my age but I hope I don't look older) The texture of my skin has changed a lot over the last few years.
I bought a travel size Eucerin Daily Protection Face Lotion when I went on vacation and I'm going to switch over, I really like it. It's moisturizing but not too heavy and it seems to keep my t-zone from getting shiny so fast. I also have a few sensitivity issues and no problems with this. I do use a night cream, and I swear by my Clarisonic.

I have tried the oil cleansing method. It did not work for me but I use coconut oil as my eye make-up remover.
You don't look 40! 35, tops!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczos911 View Post
Gah. Aging and blemishes is the WORST!!
Seriously, I feel your pain. My skin at 28-30 has been worse than it ever was as a teen. Stupid hormones.

I have sensitive, combination skin that's prone to breakouts in the chin area especially. I use Cetaphil's moisturizer and I like it a lot. It feels pretty light but it still has enough moisture in it without breaking me out. I tried the Murad stuff too and I didn't like that at all.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

i have very fatty mixed skin and fought acne for most of my life.
tried everything and for about 3 years i am on mary kay.
i use the miracle set in purple, but only cleansing jelly, night solution and moisturizer.
it took my skin a month to "get it" but since then i wouldn't use anything else.
i also use the vit-c serum for day.

recently i tried to change and it was no fun.
my mil has a contract and pays only 60% of retail price although she is not working with them.
i am happy to get the price handed down :-)
Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
I've used oil of olay every day since I was 10
Haha. Me too!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripal View Post
What she said, except I use Jojoba oil for moisturizer. When I run out of jojoba oil, I use coconut oil until I get more of jojoba oil. I've been doing this for last 4 yrs and wouldn't go back to anything else even if money was no object!
Same thing for me, jojoba oil and sometimes coconut oil.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have tried the OCM and it was not for me.

After all these years, what I am doing is finally working (I get crazy blemishes on my chin and jawline) it's just the moisturizer that I just can't get. It's taken me 3 months to get here, so...

I do a:
10% Benzoyl wash in the AM / PM. PM I use the Clarisonic. this is now everyother day & more closer to my cycle. I use a tea tree cleanser, it's okay until it is gone and I'll get something else.
Salicylic toner (2% - too strong now, need to move down) in the AM/PM just over problematic areas (jawline).
Every other day, I'll combine my moisturizer with 10% benzoyl peroxide gel all over my face, AWAY from my eyes.
At night, I use Ponds to get my makeup off (was using Clinique makeup remover and it was okay, but too drying after my skin started clearing up)
I also masque my face with the mint julep mask from Walgreens - I forget the name - once a week.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post

That is one moisturizer I have not tried. The texture changing is what I am noticing more and more. What night cream do you use? I, too, love my Clarisonic. It's made a world of difference. Consistency is the key!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use Oil Of Olay daily wash for cleansing and I use Clinique for my moisturizer. I am fortunate that I do not have any blemish problems, but my skin is very dry. As long as I use the moisturizer morning and night I am okay, but if I miss a couple of days, I dry up like a prune. I think some of it is my age, 46, but the biggest majority is my thyroid condition. I don't have much in the way of lines and most people do not think I am 46, but as I have gotten older, I have had more issues with dark circles. So unflattering, especially since I don't wear makeup.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Traci

Steph I've been using Loreal Revitalift Complete Night Cream. I've tried several others but I keep going back to it.