Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-31-2019, 03:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default PSE vs CC?

I have PSE 13 and it's getting glitchier over time. Should I just get latest PSE or go to CC? Is the transition from PSE TO PS hard? Can it do much more? Thanks!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ehh, yikes! I don't know! From everything that I hear, Elements is an easier version of Photoshop. So for the most part, it should (?) be like Elements? But really don't know!

Good luck making this decision!!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have no experience with PSE. I went from CS6 to CC and my transition was very smooth, hardly any learning curve. Hopefully some PSE ladies will chime in

Old 01-31-2019, 08:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Years ago I switched from PSE to CS5 and I felt like I was driving on the wrong side of the road. It took awhile, but I figured it out. As I’m still using CS5, and don’t like the subscription model adding another layer of monetary stress to my hobby, I’ve thought that I’d probably buy PSE if my CS5 stopped working. I love my CS5, but PSE is a powerful program and now has most of the perks that made me switch to CS5.

Is there anything that you know you want that’s in CC and not in PSE? Have you tried a fresh reinstall of your PSE to see if the glitches go away? Also, I think they still offer a 30 day free trial, so you can test it out before subscribing.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use PSE15 and love it!! I have PS CC, but haven't made myself switch over. I have dabbled with it a bit. One thing I really missed when I used PS is the panel bin at the bottom in PSE.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I went from PSE 12 to CC- there's a bit of a learning curve but I picked it up fairly fast! I LOVE CC and would NEVER go back now though!
Old 01-31-2019, 10:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm. Lots of things to think about. I don't know if I could live without the panel. The 30 day free trial is a great idea- I can see how I'd like it and go from there.
I have not reinstalled all of PSE again, but somehow caps locked on even though they weren't on on my keyboard and I had to reset all my settings and thus had to reinstall some stuff and set up things the way I like them again. I was just concerned that things were going to keep glitching. So far, so good though since I reset my settings.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh gosh, I tried PSE years ago and hated it because I was already a PS girl. I was trying to save some money (can't remember what happened. I got a new computer or something and couldn't transfer my PS? Anyway...) I'm a CC girl all the way, but that could be because I used to design and sell so I'm used to all the bells and whistles. I'd try the trial and really give it a go (ie, not fall back on PSE when you can't figure something out) for the allowed time. I think you'll know by the end of the trial if you want to keep working with it. I pay $9.99 a month.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:37 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I never used Elements, so I won't be much help, but want to wish you good luck on deciding, Cindi!
Old 02-02-2019, 07:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been thinking about this since yesterday... I'm curious. For those who switched from PSE to PS. Why did you switch? What was the big draw to learn PS? No judgment or anything else. Just shear curiosity
Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I made the switch form PSE to Photoshop CS many moons ago because I wanted to be able to put my shadows on their own layer which you couldn't do in PSE at that point in time (maybe you can now?). Also, CS had the Quick Selection tool and PSE did not. Then I went from CS5 to CC because I got a one years subscription for Christmas last year. That transition was very easy. Now that I've had CC for over a year, I don't think I'll ever go back to any other program.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I made the switch form PSE to Photoshop CS many moons ago because I wanted to be able to put my shadows on their own layer which you couldn't do in PSE at that point in time (maybe you can now?). Also, CS had the Quick Selection tool and PSE did not. Then I went from CS5 to CC because I got a one years subscription for Christmas last year. That transition was very easy. Now that I've had CC for over a year, I don't think I'll ever go back to any other program.
Thanks, Heather!
No, you still can't do that in PSE.
What is the advantage of having your shadows on a separate layer other than warping?
Old 02-03-2019, 11:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Thanks, Heather!

What is the advantage of having your shadows on a separate layer other than warping?
That's the only advantage of having them on a separate layer.

When I moved from another program (Photo Impact) to PS many moons ago, I did trials of both PS and PSE. There were 2 main reasons I went with PS:

1. I could write my own actions, which I was used to doing in PI. I still use actions I've written to automate basic tasks almost daily.

2. There were a lot more PS styles and actions available for sale. They were also a lot easier to install in PS. I still use purchased styles a lot, too.

I don't know if either of those has changed in more recent versions of PSE. I think the 2nd may have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2019, 02:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Thanks, Heather!
Just to be able to alter it separate from the element.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, ladies!!
I have a PS online class that I purchased, so I need to make time to work through that. Warping shadows is something I'd really like to master!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You can put a shadow on another layer in PSE but it's not as easy as a setting!
I was curious, too, what could be done in PS or CC that can't be done in elements, so thanks for asking Tammy!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started in PSE but used it only briefly and switched over to PS and never looked back. There are so many tutorials and videos to help you learn. Try the free trial and see how you like it.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
You can put a shadow on another layer in PSE but it's not as easy as a setting!
I was curious, too, what could be done in PS or CC that can't be done in elements, so thanks for asking Tammy!
I believe there's an action for PSE that will separate the shadows. I think it might be by Mommyish.
LOL! You're welcome, Cindi! I've wondered that for a while
Old 02-05-2019, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted big Photoshop because I love learning new programs, and I'd learned all I could on PSE and saw things I wanted to learn in PS. Curves, ACR and Bridge (though now Bridge is free, and technically you have a simpler version of ACR with PSE), better text control, etc. I saw things I would definitely use in PS, and had a great deal as a student.