Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-12-2020, 04:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Dropped my EHD!

I've got to tell "someone who understands." None of our little faces available look like the sad, crying way that I feel. (This is the "crying" face: )

I've been having issues with my EHD. Like it has to be unplugged and plugged back in where the plug enters the EHD. Add to it that my old laptop (the only laptop I have) only has one working USB port these days. Because of that, I only had my wireless mouse plugged in for several months or half a year. I wasn't scrapping during that time so I didn't mind not having access to my scrap supplies. And...I've used Carbonite for years (ten or so) to back up my computer and EHD. But, I noticed recently that the dot (showing what's backed up or not) has not been green on things that it should be. I've been "meaning" to contact Carbonite about that but hadn't gotten around to it. I recently bought a USB hub port thing that lets me plug in four things using the one port on the computer. Well, that lets me have my mouse AND the EHD plugged in at the same time. But, that's a lot of cords and things to carry around every time I want to move to a different room: the computer power cord, the USB hub power cord, the USB hub, the EHD, the cord connecting the EHD to the hub, the cord connecting the hub to the computer, the mouse. It's a disaster waiting to happen!

And it did! Last night.
I dropped the EHD. The back popped off. When I plugged it in, I was sooooo relieved to be able to see the folders, files and pictures of my chlldren as babies and toddlers!

But...this morning I got the message.
The device has failed.
Got that message all day.
I've had to put the situation on the back burner.
Homeschool to do, piano lessons to go to, etc.

I've finally had a chance to see what I could do. My fear was/is that Carbonite does not have my EHD files because it wasn't plugged in for so long as it used to be. (But lately it has been.) Or because my green dots haven't all been green. I dug around on the Carbonite site, settings, what-have-you and found where I could tell it to restore the files from that drive. Then I dug around and found the EHD that was given to me as a gift 5 or more years ago that I've never even opened. Plugged that shiny thing in and told Carbonite to restore those files!

Cross your fingers with me that it truly is doing that as I type. It shows that it is. I don't want to click on anything else dealing with my files, with the EHD or with Carbonite until it says it is done. So, I can't peek right now to see.

I will surely be contacting Carbonite (probably tomorrow since it is getting later in the day now) about making all of my green dots show up correctly. And I will be velcro-ing the EHD and probably the USB hub to my computer top/lid so that it isn't getting moved all around anymore.

I just looked longingly over at the brand new desktop computer we bought a month or so ago. I have not tried installing PS on it yet. I use CS5 and had it before they started doing monthly/yearly subscription versions. (Some of you know I've said somewhere around here that I took a break from scrapping for around 7 years. Long story.) I have a hard time picturing scrapping only in that one spot and I don't know if I can put the PS CS5 that I use on both computers.

Anyway, sorry for the LONG story. Just had to get it off my chest.

I feel a little ridiculous praying for help with something that I tell myself isn't that important in the big picture of life. But, I'll admit, I did say a number of prayers.

Thanks for listening.
I'll go stalk the thread that I saw recently about backing things up!

p.s. It says the folders have been restored and now it's working on the files. Says 30 hours to go.

Last edited by SweetChar; 03-12-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

OH, man, I've totally been there before! I'm glad it seems to be restoring things--I hope everything shows up! Hugs to you!

Old 03-12-2020, 04:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Fingers crossed for you. I can't tell you how many times I've had EHD and PC failures and problems. It's the bane of our existence. I'm sure it's happened to everyone once, twice....or more. Ugh. I really hope you get good news.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes - we totally understand!!! Keeping my fingers crossed you can recover all of your photos!!!! <3
Old 03-12-2020, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Charlene, be patient and don't do ANYTHING major on that computer that the EHD is connected to. You want to try to do the repair as smooth as possible.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies.
One good thing: I have 90% of my SweetShoppe supplies in my laptop download folders. Was sort of putting off moving them to the EHD over this past month (I've been a crazy SweetShoppe shopper!) due to wondering about the EHD. I can still do some scrapping this evening while the restore is happening. (Assuming it is actually happening...which I do believe it is! )
Old 03-12-2020, 05:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
Oh Charlene, be patient and don't do ANYTHING major on that computer that the EHD is connected to. You want to try to do the repair as smooth as possible.
lol I spoke to soon in my comment above!
I guess I will NOT do any scrapping tonight. lol
Old 03-12-2020, 05:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You are definitely among those that “get it”. Hugs!! Hoping the files are there. You might consider an SSD EHD when you replace it, the solid state drives are less likely to fail since there’s no moving parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2020, 07:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh! So sorry this is happening! I pray you are able to recover as much as you can!

One of my USB ports is very touchy. I also have to remove and replug one of them in to get it to load. It seems fine on the other laptop, so I'm hoping it's just mine and not an issue with the ehd!

If I had to chose between losing kits and using photos...I chose kits! At least you can redownload kits you have purchased. As far as photos, check facebook and instagram to download photos you have posted or others have posted. It's not fully the same thing, but it can fill in the holes!
Old 03-12-2020, 08:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh Char, holding everything for you right now hon.
I know how long you've had digi stuff around and hope you get it all back.
keep us updated and i will keep you in my prayers
xx
Old 03-12-2020, 09:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Fingers crossed for you! I think you can have PSCS5 on 2 computers. IIRC, The license for my CS6 says something to the effect that you can have it on multiple computers used by the same user, like a work and a home computer. I had CS6 operating on 2 laptops for a few weeks while I transitioned to a new computer.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies.
Right now the restore says it is 24% done and has 16 hours to go. The main thing I care about retrieving are my kiddos pictures. But, it's restoring everything I had on that EHD. Which is fine. I want so bad to take a peek at the folders and see if the pictures are in them yet, but I don't dare click on anything while it's restoring.

I need to take the time to figure out how to try to install PSCS5 on the desktop. I "should" have the disc around here somewhere. But, it could be packed in a box in our basement from us moving here. Ugh. lol
Old 03-12-2020, 10:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
I have a hard time picturing scrapping only in that one spot and I don't know if I can put the PS CS5 that I use on both computers.
I have CS5 installed on three computers (an old computer, new computer and a laptop), so it is possible to have it installed on more than one of yours.

This was my face reading your post. I'm so sorry you have been dealing with this all day and I hope when you get to 100% everything is back where it belongs and nothing is lost!! Fingers crossed for a good, and quick restore over night!
Old 03-12-2020, 10:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Char you can definitely have CS5 on two machines at the same time. done it for years.. even have CC on two machines in the same house and it's fine.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh no, Charlene...I'm so sorry to hear about your ehd...

But what Wendy and JoCee said. You can definitely install your ps on your new computer.
I hope the carbonite would be able to retore all of your files..
Old 03-13-2020, 01:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Crossing my fingers you get your files back. I had this happen way back when and I'm now super carefull and store everything on multiple devices for safety.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

oh no, dropped the ehd that's always something I dread! yay for carbonite and cloud backup service. it might take 30 hours..but i bet you don't mind at all because after those 30 hours, you'll have all your files back. i think your decision to velcro the ehd & usb hub to your computer is very wise, i might just do that myself too.

ooooh, you have a new desktop computer you are not using !??! it'll be so much faster for sure. if you have still have all the PS CS5 install files and user information, you should be able to install it on the other desktop. just give it a try. I did go for the subscription option (monthly) and I am just so happy I did. all the updates (allthough sometimes the updates are not so good) and I just love having the latest CC version.

Keep us posted and keeping my fingers crossed all be fine after the backup is done
Old 03-13-2020, 06:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Good morning.
I appreciate y'all.

I'm not jumping up and down with joy yet. I'm a little bit scared. It is still working/restoring but during the night the computer must have shut the windows that showed the EHD overall file/drive and the window showing the progress. So, I opened those back up and it says it is still working. Supposedly only 40 minutes to go. But, in glancing at the EHD folders, I'm scared that in some cases the folders are there but not all of the files that should be in them.

Trying not to panic. Maybe they will appear.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hope you get it all back with no problems! I know that sick feeling all too well.
I had a mechanical hard drive failure second week in January. It was a long, expensive road to recovery, but now everything is on the recovery drive and backed up to the cloud. I kinda like the cloud. As soon as something is saved or put in my documents folder, it starts copying it to the cloud automatically.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! I'm sorry!! A few years ago I knocked over an older EHD and it immediately started making odd noises - I had to go through Backblaze to recover my files - thankfully with no issues - so I know your pain and panic!

I hope by now everything has transferred over and that you area able to see everything!! Fingers crossed for you!
Old 03-13-2020, 01:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! So sorry! Hope you can get all you stuff off of it! I feel your pain..... my son dropped my laptop bag a few years ago with my EHD in it...... it died. Luckily the laptop did not.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-13-2020, 01:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I took my EHD to a computer repair place that I've used a couple of times over the years for various things. They are going to try to get my files for me. Don't know whether to get too hopeful or not. I will contact Carbonite in just a moment, but I really don't think they can help. I think my folders were showing "backed up" but not most of the files inside of them. Possibly because I had the EHD unplugged for so long. So, they probably don't have a copy of them anymore.

Sigh.

Off I go now to see what they say...