Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to jazzettsmommy7
Default help- pre school..

i couldnt think of another better place to come ask this question as all of you have helped me with lots of other questions in the past.

So heres my situation dont laugh k..lol
We just recently made a move my daughter whos birthday is in jan is considered late in the school rules. so yes she just turned 5 and is considered pre k still..

where we use to live she was in school half day doing excellent top of her class sadly we moved durning christmas break very unexpectly and now both districs near us have no room for her and they are telling me i need to wait til she starts kindergarden which hello thats how many months from now! i know pre k isnt required but school is important to us and i dont want her going into kinder not knowing all that she should.
so here i am online looking for pre k activies so that she isnt just home sitting in front of the tv shes actually cried when i told her she couldnt attend school for a few months she loves school.

i know awhile back i book i seen a hybrid project it was alil booklet that had numbers and quote poems that went thru it id love to purchase it and use them! anyone know what im taking about?

also does anyone have any learning stragedys? any project ideas? any activite sites that i can go to and print from..

I kinda stuck on the thought that i can just keep her mind going and help her while shes here at home with her colors numbers reading and ect..

any help or ideas would be awesome!

THanks in advance ladies!
Trish
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

the first thing i would do is see if either school has a kindergarten entry exam (our school does) and i would get specifically what that covers. or google kindergarten entry knowledge for your city and state and see if there is printout of WHAT she needs to know before entering kindy.

GL - mine is in 4K and loves it. She'll be 5 in March.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You mentioned a hybrid project. Were you thinking of these?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default i havent.

i will call and ask thanks i didnt think of that..and as far as the hybrid project i do have that one but its a the number one im looking for and it has like quotes on it kinda like a song
Old 01-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no idea on the hybrid thing you are looking for but some ideas -

- find out if there is a library storytime nearby that you can go to on a regular basis
- check into activities for preschoolers like children's museums and such
- have you showed her www.starfall.com ? It's pretty fun for that age.
- google "kindergarten worksheets" you should find a ton of handwriting pages or colorings stuff that is somewhat busy work-ish but if she's a kid that likes that sort of thing it might befun
- do a daily reading time where you read aloud to her, read from picture books (check out the list at www.fiveinarow.com) or from an older kid book like Charlotte's Web
- set up a craft station for her and do some fun kiddie type crafts, your library or amazon has great craft books, do a search for "preschool crafts" or "paper plate crafts" Be sure to include googly eyes. These are a big hit here.
- If you go to church, look into mothers morning out programs or kids playdate programs that will allow her to get together with other kids on a weekly basis
- Have her make her own calendar page each month - print a calendar grid and have her fill in the numbers, then do a picture for the top half (maybe have her color something seasonal appropriate for that given month). There's lots of learning and fun to be had with calendars because kids can learn the days of the week, X of days as they go by and learn the concepts of yesterday, today, tomorrow, they can learn ordinal numbers (the 2nd, the 15th, the 30th), they can decorate it for fun or record what the weather is like each day (draw a sun, a cloud, snow, or rain, etc)

HTH
Old 01-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default great!

thanks for the star fall site im going thru that now to see what i wanna show her first.. your awesome your a home schooling mom ha?
thats great! Thanks for the wonderful idea i will look into alot of the things you mentioned. you girls are the best!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I'm a big fan of kinesthetic teaching/learning .. It's a lot of "active" learning.. kids move around, jump, act out things etc.. to help really reinforce what they're being taught.
here's an example lesson plan (just a quick google search)
http://lesson-plans-materials.suite1...thetic_readers

It'd be fun and something you could incoperate into your daily teachings/activities
Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Is there any private pre-schools she can go to? My son will be going to an in-home pre-school this fall (actually, his daycare teacher decided to start it up this fall since all the kids will be turning 4 right about then).
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That is SO disappointing! I don't have any ideas for you, but I hope you figure out something that works for you guys.