Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes
Default NSBR: I want to learn how to knit....

Since you girls know everything........... Where in the heck do I start? What size needles do I need? Bamboo, metal, plastic, other? What type of yarn is best for a beginner? Are there free patterns out there and can anyone recommend some easy ones to start? Websites for learning?

TIA for any advice!

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

sign up at ravelry.com for starts. Youtube is also a good place to check for tutorials. Im with you on wanting to learn to knit. I know how to crochet and find it easier to do. Ive tried knitting but could never get the hang of it

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I want to learn also and I also crochet and find it sooo much easier, but I want to knit mittens and socks. DD got the most awesome hat and mittens for Christmas from a friend that were knitted. I'm trying to look at them and figure it out, but it looks like I'm going to need those YouTube tutorials!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:17 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I taught myself watching you tube tutorials fer sure ^_^ lol
I just got cheapy needles to start.. Your begining pieces probably won't be masterpieces anyway
Old 01-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I want to learn how to knit too! If you find any good tutorial on YouTube can you link them in this thread please? I tried to learn when I was pregnant with DD #1 (12 years ago -eek!), after about 15 minutes my grandmother told me to put down the needles and walk away. LOL!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I taught myself how to knit using the tutorials on the Lion Brand website. I followed the illustrated ones, but they now have video tuts as well.

They also offer a ton of free patterns on their site. Just search for a beginner knit pattern and find one that strikes your fancy. I started off on scarves. Simple, but useful and great for gifts. The pattern will tell you what sort of yarn they recommend, and what size needles. I started using the metal needles, but now use bamboo.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
I taught myself watching you tube tutorials fer sure ^_^ lol
I just got cheapy needles to start.. Your begining pieces probably won't be masterpieces anyway
this!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I would highly recommend continental knitting. It's much easier than american knitting.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got a GREAT book called Stitch 'n' Bitch:The Knitter's hand book by Debbie Stoller and it is awesome. I was knitting my first scarf that night and really liked it (I usually don't care for books when learning a hands-on craft and go for videos instead) I knit the american way and find it easy (I'm right handed so it just flows well for me, but everyone finds the way that works best for them.

Other resources (I too LOVE ravelry- no one thinks my newbie questions are dumb- and Lion Brand) but here's another site I refer to very often for free video tutorials: http://www.knittinghelp.com/

As for supplies, I like starting with Thick and Quick yarn- it's chunky, so cute for a scarf and knits quickly. I use Susan Bates straight needles (they're metal and the stitches slide better for me on those). I need to get some circular needles to make hats, etc. But I started easy so I didn't get discouraged.

If you get on ravelry, feel free to add me : schock77 there too. It's equally addictive to digiscrap though so be prepared!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I agree with checking out Ravelry--TONS of free patterns--and knitting help. As for needles, it's more or less a personal preference. I actually prefer circular needles to straight. They're not as awkward, you won't lose your stitches as easily when you put a project down and if you want to do hats, you're all set to go.

One of the best things that helped me learn was finding a group of knitters and joining in. CHeck your local yarn store or craft store to see if there's a group that meets. I find it so much easier to learn new techniques by having someone actually show me and talk me through rather than just watching videos.

Have fun! I've been a knitting fool the past year and a half and it's been great.

Question though, what is American knitting? I've never heard that term before, is it the same as English knitting? Throwing rather than picking?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes... I "throw" apparently... I MEANT english! duh....

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I recently started to try out knitting. I've watched a LOT of videos on YouTube and the Lion website. The Ravelry website really is impressive. You can search patterns with "easy" or "beginner" so you're not overwhelmed.
I like the videos on YouTube by Liat M Gat. She has a website KnitFreedom also. Really like the YouTube videos by "elsteffo". But you just have to find what works for you. I had to try continental and the English styles and several different ways of holding tension. Took me a couple of days to find what worked for me. I started with a basic little dishrag. Small and do-able.
Also, I do much better with Bamboo needles since they are not so slippery, but I guess that is a preference too!
Good luck! :-)
Old 01-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

how fun Kat!!! I haven't knit in forever!! Personally I wouldn't start out following a pattern. Just work on a scarf and knit a row and then purl a row. At least that is how my grandma taught me. Good luck!!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
how fun Kat!!! I haven't knit in forever!! Personally I wouldn't start out following a pattern. Just work on a scarf and knit a row and then purl a row. At least that is how my grandma taught me. Good luck!!
Scarves are a great way to start, and I wouldn't even worry about purling, just knit the whole thing. I liked to start with some of the specialty yarn, the real puffy stuff and big needles. All the extra fiber helps heide any mistakes and the large needles make the knitting fast.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:20 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I'm so glad you posted this thread. I've wanted to knit forever. I got a video from the library once, but they went so fast and you had to try to mirror her and it wasn't a close up, so I was completely lost. I'm excited to check out these resources.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'll tell you what my grandmother told me (after I learned of course lol) to start on wooden needles. It keeps your yarn from sliding so much and makes you have to work a little more on getting used to where you put the needles into the stitches and such.

What helped me the most were the basics covered in "Simple 1-2-3 Knitting" and youtube.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her