Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How many times do you use your kits?

Hey everyone! I was driving home from my daughter's orchestra class today, and I started wondering how many times most scrappers use their kits? Do you have any self-enforced rules for yourself regarding using your kits before buying more? I'm super curious, especially for those of you who are not on CTs and are paying for every kit you use!!

In the past, I've been pretty bad about buying kits and then sometimes not even using them due to....buying too many lol (and having lots of CT kits). Ideally, I'd like to use each kit 5 times (or more). Normally I scrap around 300 pages a year, so if I only use each kit once....well, that is just not a $ amount I'm comfortable with (or able to afford)! In the past, I've generally only used each kit once, but that was because I was on several CTs and had such an abundance of kits. Since I've been off from scrapping for the past year and I'm not currently on any teams, I don't have the same influx of kits to help me out!

This year, I think I've come up with a good system to encourage me to scrap with my kits several times! I'm going to scrap at least 5 pages with a kit before I can move it out of my "new stuff" folder. To keep track, each time I scrap with a kit, I'm going to rename the folder by adding a number after the kit name. When it has a 5 after it's name, I can move it to my stash folders, and then I'll allow myself to buy another one!!
Old 01-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Good question!! I’ve seen some comments on other threads in the forum which had me wondering this same thing.

Your numbering system does sound like a good method, I may have to use something similar to track mine.

I’ve also been wondering about the Creative Teams... I’m still new and my pages are nowhere near the quality I’ve seen on this page, but how are the CTs chosen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I haven't been on a CT in many year. But, I don't have a set number of times that I use a kit. I have kits that I come back to over and over again and kits I haven't touched yet. Sometimes I buy a kit because I have a specific purpose in mind, sometimes I buy it because I foresee using it in the future, sometimes I buy it on a whim or because the price is too good to resist. I can be a bit of a digital hoarder at time. This year I'm going to have to stretch my stash because my budget is nill.

I frequently mix kits and/or search out specific items so I like to have a wide range of kits. I also mix and reuse templates frequently. If I'm in a hurry or the template suits my purpose, I use it as is, but more often I move/add/delete photos and elements. Sometimes you can't recognize which template I even started with, but I still prefer to use templates most of the time.

I also design digi products on the side in my free time, so if I need something that I don't have I will sometimes whip it up, or pull from my CU stash, or alter/recolor an item that I already have.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As far as creative teams, normally when a designer needs a new scrapper for their team, they will post a creative team call in the forums or on social media! Basically, you send in an application with samples of your work or links to your galleries, and then they choose their scrappers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlmurrell View Post
Good question!! I’ve seen some comments on other threads in the forum which had me wondering this same thing.

Your numbering system does sound like a good method, I may have to use something similar to track mine.

I’ve also been wondering about the Creative Teams... I’m still new and my pages are nowhere near the quality I’ve seen on this page, but how are the CTs chosen?

Old 01-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That sounds like a good system, Kelley. I don't have any rules about using kits and admittedly have some I bought and have not used yet. If I'm objective, I have so many kits that I don't really need to buy any. But getting a new kit often inspires me to scrap, and that has some value, too! I think kit styles change over time, too, and I noticed kits a few years old sometimes look dated. We can't have that! :P
Old 01-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do the same with templates!! I actually think templates are some of my best investments because if I am drawn to it, I can use it literally 100 times with a few tweaks, and it looks like a new page every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlimarie View Post
I haven't been on a CT in many year. But, I don't have a set number of times that I use a kit. I have kits that I come back to over and over again and kits I haven't touched yet. Sometimes I buy a kit because I have a specific purpose in mind, sometimes I buy it because I foresee using it in the future, sometimes I buy it on a whim or because the price is too good to resist. I can be a bit of a digital hoarder at time. This year I'm going to have to stretch my stash because my budget is nill.

I frequently mix kits and/or search out specific items so I like to have a wide range of kits. I also mix and reuse templates frequently. If I'm in a hurry or the template suits my purpose, I use it as is, but more often I move/add/delete photos and elements. Sometimes you can't recognize which template I even started with, but I still prefer to use templates most of the time.

I also design digi products on the side in my free time, so if I need something that I don't have I will sometimes whip it up, or pull from my CU stash, or alter/recolor an item that I already have.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any set rules. Generally, I don't buy a kit unless I expect to use it multiple times. There might be a few exceptions, like a graduation kit. I'd consider the event special enough to justify a kit purchase even if I only scrapped one 2-pager with it.

I have some kits that I've used over and over--even more times than I'd choose to--because there aren't other kits in the store that would work as well. There are some kits I only use once now, but in a few years I'll have the right photos to use them again. There are other times I bought a kit for a series of photos but in the end decided to scrap only a few from the series. I have everything from kits I've never used (but will!) to kits I've used for an entire 20-page vacation album.

My "rules" for myself have more to do with kit buying than number of re-uses. I give myself a scrapping budget, don't buy kits unless I already have photos to use them with, and only buy kits if I plan to scrap with them in the very near future. If those conditions aren't met, I wishlist instead of buy.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
That sounds like a good system, Kelley. I don't have any rules about using kits and admittedly have some I bought and have not used yet. If I'm objective, I have so many kits that I don't really need to buy any. But getting a new kit often inspires me to scrap, and that has some value, too! I think kit styles change over time, too, and I noticed kits a few years old sometimes look dated. We can't have that! :P
Yes! Kits and designers are always evolving. I still have some fallback classics, but I also have a handful from like 2009 that are... um... not my style anymore

Plus, kits and designers retire, and I take big breaks from scrapping, so if I jump back in I like to have a fresh stash to work from for challenges and what not.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No rules - however typically I only use a kit once. If there are unique elements or something I see myself using again, I will pull that out of the kit and into a theme folder. I only use a template once unless it's for a project.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to reuse kits as many times as I can. I am on a few different ct's, and I will reuse those kits too! If I have to purchase one out of my own pocket, I make sure it is a kit I can scrap more than 1 layout with. If I'm struggling to think of more than one, I will hold off on purchasing that kit.

I keep a list of each kit I purchase or receive (not part of CT work). I write notes next to it for ideas of layouts (or photos I purchased it for). When I scrap a page with the kit, I put a checkmark next to it so that I can see what still has to be scrapped with.

I do have an issue with freebies. I don't know if it's because my hard earned money didn't purchase it, or because it may not have been something I would have purchased myself in the first place. But I tend not to scrap with freebies as much (Unless it's travel/Disney layouts).
Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I try to use my kits and templates a couple times. It's not always the case but I try!
Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't track or set rules, but I definitely try to use my kits over and over again. The more I use a kit, the better I feel about purchasing it. And over the years I have gotten really good about only buying kits I love and will use repeatedly.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I do have an issue with freebies. I don't know if it's because my hard earned money didn't purchase it, or because it may not have been something I would have purchased myself in the first place. But I tend not to scrap with freebies as much (Unless it's travel/Disney layouts).
Me too! I think freebies are often mini kits and I'm so spoiled by all the elements in typical kits that I can't seem to find what I need in a freebie mini kit. I have combined them with other kits and used some of them, though.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to be that way with freebies too, most of the time, just because they don't necessarily cater to my tastes! I love a freebie if it calls to me, but otherwise I'd rather spend $ and get something that is totally my style.

Quote:
I try to reuse kits as many times as I can. I am on a few different ct's, and I will reuse those kits too! If I have to purchase one out of my own pocket, I make sure it is a kit I can scrap more than 1 layout with. If I'm struggling to think of more than one, I will hold off on purchasing that kit.

I keep a list of each kit I purchase or receive (not part of CT work). I write notes next to it for ideas of layouts (or photos I purchased it for). When I scrap a page with the kit, I put a checkmark next to it so that I can see what still has to be scrapped with.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not on any CTs, and I like to shop. I don't have rules or think about it much, but when it comes right down to it, I've probably only used about 20 percent of my kits. Now, I've used some templates over and over. . .
Old 01-10-2019, 01:19 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I keep track of how many times i've used my kits by putting a number at the end of the name in my preview folder, when i'm choosing a kit to use for a particular photo or series of photos i search for '0' in my preview folder and try to find something i haven't used before. that being said i am a shopaholic and even though i scrap almost daily i have 86 kits i have never used :O man i should really stop shopping....

TA: i built up a backlog when i wasn't scrapping for ages because i got into my head i wasn't "good enough" but still shopping at all the sales during that time
Old 01-10-2019, 01:19 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I use kits over and over again.i only buy kits wich i know i have photos to scrap for.like for vacation or holidays.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:21 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I'm a brat and hoarder but I also have my favorite kits I can't seem to not use. So anywhere from 0 to elevendy
Old 01-10-2019, 01:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use my kits however the wind blows. I don't count how many times I use them. They make me happy, they fill a need, they get used. There are several kits that I use over and over, that I have to tell myself "you cannot use that kit right now" and force myself to look for another product in my stash. I figured as long as I scrap my stash that I'm buying, it's a win-win.

As far as CT's....that's a designer's personal decision. Look on social media for future calls, look in the forums for calls, look in their newsletters. When they have an open call, you'll see it and can apply. It's basically telling them a little bit about yourself, why you'd like to be on their team, showing your favorite layout, etc. If there aren't any on-going calls and if you feel that passionately about a designer and their product, you can always message them how much you like their product, showcasing layouts using THEIR product so they get an idea of what your scrapping style is with their products. You never know what that designer might do. They might say "not at this time". They might offer you a guest spot. They might offer you a trial permanent spot. Nothing is guaranteed by messaging that designer.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like to use kits over and over again, esp. the ones I truly love. Other kits I only use just once.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to use mine as much as I can. If I can’t use a whole kit, I mix and match.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to use a kit once, now I reuse them if I feel it matches a photo or if I just happen to like the kit.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to purchase kits that I KNOW I can use many times over to get the most bang for my buck. Theme kits are the exception, but I try to pick ones that have a lot of elements / patterns that I know if I wanted to use it without any of the on theme pieces there are still enough items to do so. The only exception to this are Creative Team kits.... there are quite a few that I will most likely never use more than once (even though they are cute, and I love them to pieces), because I have no real use for anything overly 'girly' in my day to day scrapping.

My main thought when it comes to using kits is - I switched from Paper Scrapping to Digital because it was cheaper.... if I were to only use a kit once, it would actually be more expensive than paper supplies (keep in mind I have the exchange rate to deal with on top of the retail price).
Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I don't collect freebies much anymore because I found I wasn't using them. However, I absolutely LOVE the freebies {Free Samples} here at SSD because #1-I definitely use them, #2-they usually match up with a full kit and #3-SSD freebie...I mean, come on...what could be better?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I use my kits however the wind blows. I don't count how many times I use them. They make me happy, they fill a need, they get used. There are several kits that I use over and over, that I have to tell myself "you cannot use that kit right now" and force myself to look for another product in my stash. I figured as long as I scrap my stash that I'm buying, it's a win-win.
Well said, Wendy!!

There are some kits that I've used several times. There are kits that I love that are so distinctive that I don't use again, because I feel like it's like wearing the same formal to homecoming and to prom. LOL! But, there are kits that are very versatile, that can be used over and over. I don't really judge a kit that way when I buy it. I buy what I like and use it as I find it appropriate.

I think (at least for me), it would stifle my creativity to put a set number on how many times I had to use the kit. But, if you can do that, I think that's fantastic. I would LOVE if you create more than 1 LO (or 2-pager) with a kit, if you would add in your description, "2nd page created with this kit" or something like that... I think it would be really inspiring for everyone to know!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
My main thought when it comes to using kits is - I switched from Paper Scrapping to Digital because it was cheaper.... if I were to only use a kit once, it would actually be more expensive than paper supplies (keep in mind I have the exchange rate to deal with on top of the retail price).
That totally makes sense, Jenn.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I generally don't buy much because I have 100+ unused kits in my stash. I also generally don't reuse my kits unless it's something really specifically themed (like soccer or Disney).

I've been on at least a couple of CTs ever since they were invented in digital scrapping so when times were really lean, those kits were all I used. Now that things are better financially, I could buy more but it seems silly when I have so much I could pull from already.

I also tend to go through and delete everything in my stash that is more than 3-4 years old. Styles change, and there will always be more birthday kits, Christmas kits, "you're a neat kit" kits to pick up and use.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1 time- 90% of the time
Old 01-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
My "rules" for myself have more to do with kit buying than number of re-uses. I give myself a scrapping budget, don't buy kits unless I already have photos to use them with, and only buy kits if I plan to scrap with them in the very near future. If those conditions aren't met, I wishlist instead of buy.
this exactly!

I actually LOVE to scrap with all kinds of bits and pieces. I will use windows explorer to search my folder for "button", "flower", "leaf", "tag" and re-use as much as possible. I don't go so far as tagging individual elements, but generally the designers do a good job of naming them with basic words like that!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 01-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
this exactly!

I actually LOVE to scrap with all kinds of bits and pieces. I will use windows explorer to search my folder for "button", "flower", "leaf", "tag" and re-use as much as possible. I don't go so far as tagging individual elements, but generally the designers do a good job of naming them with basic words like that!
I do that a lot, too. I used to spend time copying elements I loved into folders like "frames" or "fasteners" so I could find them easily for re-use without tagging them. It's so much faster to just search my kits instead!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I have a set rule either. I buy a kit and I use it to my heart's content. But then again, I have kits I bought that I haven't used yet to the point that the designer/s has already retired. Templates, on the other hand, are flexible and can be used without me thinking that I have just used it on the same week (or bingo card).

I'm on a ct so I find myself using kits just once, but if there is a themed template, I sometimes use a themed kit again if it's called for.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
I don't think I have a set rule either. I buy a kit and I use it to my heart's content. But then again, I have kits I bought that I haven't used yet to the point that the designer/s has already retired. Templates, on the other hand, are flexible and can be used without me thinking that I have just used it on the same week (or bingo card).

About the same as this. I don't make rules. I do have some unused and some I've used many times.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes i use a kit more than 1 time or even for several spreads and a other time it is just for one page. It depends on how many photo's i have to scrap. Even if it is just one page the photo's inside still need to be scrapped
Old 01-10-2019, 07:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use whatever kit I think suits my photos and page best, no matter how many times I've already used it, or how many kits are still waiting to be used. I have some kits that I have used multiple times, and since I can never,ever use every bit of a kit on one page, it makes sense to me to try to use different parts on other pages. I also think it's fun to challenge myself to use older kits every once in a while, because why keep them if they're just going to sit there? I LOVE the scrap your stash challenge on the passport this month!

Old 01-13-2019, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to reuse kits a LOT. There are very few kits that I consider 'one use'. I won't buy one use kits unless I am scrapping something so important that only that kit will do. Typically, if it is that important then I have enough pictures to do more than one page anyway. I was using a kit the other day and realized I have like 5 layouts scrapped with it. All look very different.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oddly enough, sometimes I feel bad when using a kit more than once. Particularly for my PL pages. I doubt that anybody will ever look at my PL 2016 book and then my PL 2019 book and be like "I can't believe she reused this kit" but for some strange reason I feel weird about it.

Good for the designers I guess!
Old 01-13-2019, 06:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
Oddly enough, sometimes I feel bad when using a kit more than once. Particularly for my PL pages. I doubt that anybody will ever look at my PL 2016 book and then my PL 2019 book and be like "I can't believe she reused this kit" but for some strange reason I feel weird about it.
I had to laugh at this!! That really puts it into perspective! LOL!
Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
I re-used 2 kits in my 2018 PL! I agonized over it...spent waaaay too much time making sure I used only pieces I hadn't used before & counting the number of weeks in between uses.
BUT, when I showed my DH the finished product, I was bracing myself for him to ask, "Uh, how much did all of these papers & things cost???" at which point I was going to say, "Well, I used some on more than one page, so I actually saved money!" Haha
Old 01-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
I re-used 2 kits in my 2018 PL! I agonized over it...spent waaaay too much time making sure I used only pieces I hadn't used before & counting the number of weeks in between uses.
BUT, when I showed my DH the finished product, I was bracing myself for him to ask, "Uh, how much did all of these papers & things cost???" at which point I was going to say, "Well, I used some on more than one page, so I actually saved money!" Haha
That is what I do! I try and make sure I use different cards or different paper. But your husband proves my point I think, nobody would notice if we did!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I tend to reuse kits a LOT. There are very few kits that I consider 'one use'. I won't buy one use kits unless I am scrapping something so important that only that kit will do. Typically, if it is that important then I have enough pictures to do more than one page anyway. I was using a kit the other day and realized I have like 5 layouts scrapped with it. All look very different.
This is what I'm thinking! If there is something super special and unique that only a certain kit will do, and that is all I'll be able to use it for, then fine. But I honestly don't think I've ever even had that happen in my almost 10 years of scrapping! I'd never be able to afford scrapping if I didn't reuse (unless I rejoin 15 CTs lol). When I'm on a scrapping roll, I scrap so much!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hardly ever re-use a kit because I feel like our designers are constantly releasing amazing new kits and collections that inspire me to want to scrap with that particular kit right NOW! And then the same thing happens the next week. I'm like a cat who gets distracted by shiny new objects!
Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
I hardly ever re-use a kit because I feel like our designers are constantly releasing amazing new kits and collections that inspire me to want to scrap with that particular kit right NOW! And then the same thing happens the next week. I'm like a cat who gets distracted by shiny new objects!
Exactly this. LOL! It's not good on the PayPal budget, but I have a hard time resisting all the amazing goodies that come out each week!